VALLEY
OF THE DOLLS
JACQUELINE
SUSANN
( INSTALMENT
4 )
******
Kevin
flooded the newspapers with stories about the coming television
spectacular. Neely was interviewed by several major magazines, and
television columnists heralded it as a major breakthrough. The medium
was coming of age. At last the viewers would be given genuine talent.
Kevin
engaged a top choreographer, a top director and producer. He stepped
up production on new products to be introduced on the show, and
special sets were built for Anne to demonstrate the new glamour line.
The show was to be aired the beginning of November. It promised to be
the most spectacular event on television that season.
Neely
moved into a hotel, installed a piano and spent the entire month of
October between her hotel suite and Nola Studios, rehearsing,
dieting, working with the old discipline. She was determined to show
them in Hollywood and make Helen Lawson eat her words. Washed up, was
she? Unreliable, only able to sing for free? She’d like to have
seen Helen’s face when she read the papers. Every paper stated it
was the largest single salary ever paid on television. They also
applauded Neely’s courage for leaping into the new medium.
Neely
had no fears. True, there were no retakes on a live show. Well, all
the better. She’d show Hollywood—she’d show them all. In
interviews she played the gurgling, nervous, eager young Neely. “Sure
she was scared” ... “sure she was biting off a lot.” But
secretly she knew it was a cinch ... a wrap-up. How could she
miss—twelve standards, six of them songs she had introduced; no
untried material and not even one scene to learn—you just read all
the lead-ins off idiot cards. Geez, if those Hollywood squares knew
it was this easy, they’d be crowding the networks. But these
opinions she kept to herself.
Neely
took three Seconals the night before the great day. Dress rehearsal
was scheduled for ten in the morning, and she arrived on time, well
rested and eager to begin. The first hour was spent in testing her
makeup. Then at eleven-thirty the actual rehearsal began. She did the
opening dialogue smoothly, with youthful enthusiasm. Then she started
her first song. She did three bars and the director called, “Cut.”
He walked out of the booth and down the aisle. “Neely, you were
singing to the wrong camera.”
“I
don’t get you,” she said nicely. She was supposed to sing. The
camera was the cameraman’s problem.
“Camera
One was on you for the opening. But for your song you turn to Camera
Two.”
“Which
is Camera Two?”
“The
one with the red light. You do the first half to it, then shift to
Camera Three for the chorus, then wind up the last eight bars at
Camera Two again.”
“Geez,
I’d have to go through M.I.T. to figure that out. Why do we need
all those cameras?”
“Honey,
it sounds tougher than it actually is. Just remember the red
light—that’s the camera that’s on you. You can’t miss.”
She
began again, carefully watching the cameras. It went all right, but
she lost her place on the cue cards. Next time she focused on the cue
cards and missed Camera Three.
“Don’t
worry about the cards,” the director pleaded. “He’ll follow
you. You just follow the cameras.”
“But
I’m used to the camera following me,” she wailed.
The
director was patient. “You’ll get it. Now let’s try again.”
There
were two more rehearsals. The director’s face took on the haggard
look of quiet desperation. “Neely, you walked past the chalk marks
twice, out of camera range.”
“But
I have to move when I sing.”
“Fine,
baby. But let’s mark it out so I can plan it with the cameras.”
“I
can’t. I move as I feel it, and each time I feel it differently.”
And
so it went, hour after hour of grueling camera rehearsals. Neely’s
makeup began to run and her hair went limp. At five o’clock they
had not done one complete run-through.
The
director called a dinner break. He came to Neely and carelessly threw
his arm across her shoulder. “At six we’ll go through it straight
from the top. Keep going even if you make a mistake. I’ve got to
time it. Then I’ll give you the mistakes and changes and cuts, and
you’ll have time to fix your makeup and take a breather before
air-time.”
To
Neely the final dress rehearsal was a nightmare. The red eye of the
camera seemed to be leaping constantly off and on, and the cue cards
with the lyrics seemed to blur under the hot lights. She would be
into a song, feeling it deeply, hitting notes she knew were perfect.
. . . Her eyes would close, then fly open in panic. There was no
wonderful Hollywood camera following her around, waiting to record
every move; no one to splice and put all the best shots together. No,
just those red-eyed monsters she had to follow, and those constantly
shifting cardboards with the words. She lost them—she shouldn’t
have closed her eyes. Where were they? She hummed a lyric. He said to
go on ... God where were the cards? And which camera? On the
left—yes, the red eye was on. Thank God, the song was over. Jesus,
now what? What was the card saying? Oh yes, introduce Anne and the
product. Oh thank God! Anne was talking now—she had a breather.
Jesus! She should have rushed to the wings! There was the frantic
maid, waving her arms—this was the three-minute change. Only three
minutes to change her dress, and Anne was half through already. . . .
“I
can’t!” she screamed. “I can’t do it! I can’t really make a
song come alive if I have to worry about chalk: marks, cameras and
quick changes. If I want to shut my eyes, I have to shut my
eyes. I feel it that way. I can’t do it—I can’t!”
Kevin
had been in the control room. He dashed down the aisle and joined the
director. Together they tried to calm her.
“I
won’t go on. I’ll make a fool of myself!” Neely’s voice
broke.
“Neely,
you’re a pro,” the director begged. “Once that audience fills
the theatre and you hear the applause, it will all come to you.”
“No,”
she sobbed. “I’d need a week of this camera rehearsal. I can’t
follow eight things at once and be good. I can’t stand on certain
chalk marks and watch for cameras and cue cards. I can’t do it—I’ll
blow higher than a kite!”
“Neely.”
Anne put her arm around her. “Remember in Philadelphia, how you
jumped into a part in Hit the Sky with just a moment’s
notice?”
“I
had nothing to lose,” Neely cried. “I was a kid. I had no
reputation at stake. I’m a star now—if I look bad or blow up I’m
through.”
“You’ll
be fine,” the director kept repeating.
“No,
no! I’m not doing the show!”
“Neely,
you’ve got to,” Anne insisted. “The time is paid for ... the
show goes on in an hour.”
“I
can’t do it,” she sobbed.
“Then
you’ll never work again,” the director suddenly snapped.
“Who
wants to? If I never set foot near a television studio again, it’s
too soon for me!”
“I
mean in any medium,” the director said coolly.
“Who
says?” “AFTRA. If you walk out on a show like this, it’s
breaking a contract. All the unions are affiliated in upholding the
rules. AFTRA, SAG and Equity.”
“What
would happen if I suddenly dropped dead?”
He
smiled coldly. “Unfortunately, I hardly think that’s likely.”
“Couldn’t
you just announce that I developed a sudden case of laryngitis?”
she pleaded.
The
director sighed. “Neely, the network doctor would insist on
examining you. The network went co-op on all the ads—they’ve
spent a fortune. Now look. You’ve got an hour—don’t even think
about the show. Go to your dressing room and relax.”
Neely
went to her dressing room. She made a hurried phone call and
contacted a bellboy at her hotel. He arrived ten minutes later. A
twenty-dollar bill and a small bottle exchanged hands. Neely stared
at the bottle. “You little red dolls,” she said softly. “Now
for God’s sake do your work. I’m relying on you. I can’t even
help you with the booze—they’d say I was drunk.” She quickly
swallowed six. “Come on, babies,” she cooed as she lay down.
“Come on ... I haven’t eaten anything. You little dolls can work
fast on an empty stomach.”
In
ten minutes she began to feel the familiar light-headed reaction. She
let it seep through her. It wasn’t enough. They’d be able to
rouse her with black coffee. She staggered over to the sink and took
two more. “Come on, dollies, make Neely groggy so’s she can be
sick ...” She heard the muffled sounds of the audience filing in,
the musicians tuning up. She gulped down two more. Dimly she heard
someone calling her name, but she was floating far away ...
******
The
network had to run a kinescope of a past show. They announced that
due to technical difficulties the Neely O’Hara show would not be
aired. Kevin did not bring charges against Neely, but the network
did. Neely had to be a test case, they said. Too many big names had
been scheduled for spectaculars in the new season, and if Neely got
away with it there might be other disasters. She received a one-year
suspension from all work—pictures, stage, nightclubs and
television.
At
first she didn’t care. She went back to California and holed up at
her pool. The newspapers and trade papers attacked her without mercy.
They called her temperamental; they hinted that she had been
drinking; they unanimously declared she was washed up.
Sometimes
she spent day after day in bed, until her housekeeper would force her
to the pool. Sometimes at midnight she’d leap into her car and head
for a bar. There she’d stand, with a bandana around her hair and no
makeup, unrecognized, lost in soft anonymity, sipping beer, happy to
be with people. She didn’t care; she had enough money; she could
sit out the year. It would blow over, and then she’d get back into
shape and maybe do a Broadway show. That would be fun. She’d show
them. Meantime she could eat anything she wanted . . . and drink.
There were always the wonderful red and yellow dolls—and now there
were even some new blue-striped ones!
Anne
was badly shaken by Neely’s behavior. Her first instinct had been
to follow her to the Coast. Neely was in no condition to be left
alone. But her own television commitments could not be ignored ...
and there was her loyalty to Kevin, too. She felt a personal guilt
about the Neely walkout, which had been very costly. He had been
forced to pay for the time, the advertisements, the musicians and the
overtime, with no high-rated program to show for it.
But
as the weeks passed, her anxiety about Neely was submerged in the
constant daily crisis of live television. New color tests were being
done, and sometimes the hot lights were almost unbearable. Yet she
never thought of quitting—there was nothing else she particularly
wanted to do.
Sometimes
items about Neely—blind or real—appeared in the columns. Everyone
seemed convinced that Neely was going through some kind of deliberate
self-destruction, yet it was impossible for Anne to reconcile the
image of the nervous, tortured Neely with the bright-eyed child who
had once lived below her on Fifty-second Street. That was the real
Neely. This phantom that Hollywood had created would eventually
disappear and the real Neely would return.
It
seemed impossible that a place could really change people. More than
a decade had passed, yet in some ways she felt no different than she
had when she first arrived in New York. If she sat and analyzed
herself she knew she would find New York was no longer a pulsating
fairyland. Broadway was a Coney Island arcade and Forty-second Street
was a tenderloin. Fifth Avenue no longer thrilled her. Even the giant
tree at Rockefeller Center at Christmas was no longer a spectacle. An
opening of a show or nightclub brought out the same stale faces.
But
it was still a better world by far than the world of Lawrenceville.
In Lawrenceville people hibernated and life passed them by. At least
she was on the scene, where things were happening. Yet something was
lacking. Sometimes she looked in the mirror very closely and tried to
see herself objectively. Had she changed? She used makeup now—had
she really gone to El Morocco in those early days with just a dab of
powder and lipstick? Now she felt undressed without the subtle
pancake, the eye shadow and mascara. And her clothes—she still
insisted things be simple and muted in color, but name designers
created the well-cut suits and she had long since discarded
Jennifer’s mink coat for one of her own, designed by New York’s
leading furrier.
But
once, for a fleeting moment, the passage of time was wiped out by the
expression in Allen Cooper’s eyes. They met accidentally at the
Colony. She was with Kevin. Allen introduced his wife, an attractive
young girl who wore a large emerald-cut diamond, identical to the one
Allen had given her. At the moment a crazy idea hit Anne—maybe he
had a drawer full, in all sizes for the proper occasions.
She
had often wondered what she’d do or how she’d feel if she ran
into Allen. And like most long-anticipated meetings, the actual
happening was uneventful and far from dramatic. Allen was losing his
hair, but he still wore striped ties and he still traveled with Gino.
Age had suddenly caught up with Gino. He had developed the palsied
fragility that afflicted so many elderly people. He seemed to be
shriveling away before her eyes.
She
knew Allen had wanted to be indifferent and curt, but the old
admiration welled in his eyes. “Anne ... you look marvelous.”
“You
look well too, Allen.”
“We
see you all the time on television, don’t we, Gino?”
“Yeah,
sure,” Gino answered. There was a pause. God, was there nothing to
say after ten years?
“Allie
always points you out when you do those commercials.” This was
Allen’s wife.
“I’m
glad to hear that you watch. Most people run to the refrigerator for
beer while I’m on.”
“No,
I always watch, even though I don’t use the Gillian products. My
beautician says—” She stopped suddenly, alerted by the pressure
Allen put on her arm.
Kevin
came to the rescue. “I’m sure anyone so young and lovely doesn’t
need much help from cosmetics.”
The
girl blushed with pleasure and giggled.
“What’s
with our table?” Gino complained shrilly. “If we’da gone to
Morocco instead of this fancy place we wouldn’t be standing around
like this.”
The
captain motioned to Kevin that his table was ready. There were
mumbled good-bys. Anne and Kevin walked away as Gino went into
another tirade about the lousy service and why didn’t they go to
Morocco.
Anne
felt sad. People parted, years passed, they met again—and the
meeting proved no reunion, offered no warm memories, only the acid
knowledge that time had passed and things weren’t as bright or
attractive as they had been. She was glad Lyon was in England. She’d
hate to run into him like this, to find that his hair had thinned or
that the girl he dated was too young, too insipid. It was better to
keep a memory intact.
She
wondered about Jennifer, too. Was Jennifer afraid to come back? At
the last minute she had turned down Century’s offer and remained in
Europe. Was she afraid of Hollywood? How could she be? She was the
biggest star in Europe today, and her pictures were equally popular
in America. She looked magnificent on the screen. Anne was well aware
of the tricks and wonders of lighting, and of course Jennifer was
thirty-seven, even though she was ten years younger in all her
publicity releases and in her American image as well. Perhaps she was
smart remaining in Europe. If Neely was any example, Hollywood could
be frightening.
Jennifer
1957
Jennifer
was scared of Hollywood—scared to death. Half a bottle of Seconals
and a stomach pump had forced Claude to reconsider and not sign with
Century the year before. But this year brought another fantastic
offer, and this one was just too lucrative to pass up. A
three-picture deal and one million dollars deposited tax free in a
Swiss bank! Of course Claude would split it with her, but half a
million clear! She couldn’t turn that down. And at thirty-seven her
looks were still intact—the right lights dissolved all the tiny
lines. Claude would have the entire say on everything, and he would
see about the silk on the camera and the soft lighting. Of course,
there were the candid photographs to contend with. There would be
reporters at Idlewild in New York, and there would be an even bigger
reception in Hollywood. Flash cameras couldn’t be fooled, but
Claude would think of something. Maybe she could stage a Garbo-like
entrance—hide from the cameras.
Early
one morning, a week after she had signed the contract, Claude arrived
at her apartment.
“I
just got the cable—the money is deposited.”
“Separately?”
she asked.
“Yes.
Here is your number—put it in a vault. I have my own.”
She
stretched in bed happily. “Isn’t it wonderful? I can have a
three-month vacation before I leave. Maybe I’ll go to Capri, and
then New York. I’ll wear a black wig. I’ll see all the shows with
Anne and really have some fun. God, it will be good to speak English
again.”
Claude
threw back the covers and yanked her out of bed. Then he flung open
the windows and let the daylight in.
“Are
you crazy?” she asked.
“Stand
just as you are—at the window.” She shivered. It was September,
but the sun was weak and cold as it grudgingly forced its way through
a clouded Paris sky.
He
sighed. “Yes, it must be done.”
“What
must be done?”
“The
face lift.”
“You
are crazy!” She pulled away from him and threw on her robe.
He
dragged her to the mirror. “Here, look at yourself in the daylight.
No! Don’t hold your head up and smile—look at yourself in
repose.”
“Claude
... I’ll always be in makeup. And I know my best angles. Who would
ever get a chance to see me like this?”
“Hollywood!
The makeup men, the studio hairdressers ... word will travel fast.”
“But
I’m still not exactly a hag. I look pretty good for thirty-seven.”
“But
you don’t look twenty-seven!” She stared in the mirror. Well,
there was a little slack under her jaw. Not much, really ...
if she held her head back and smiled, it disappeared. But in repose
it was there. A wattle, Claude called it. Yes, she saw what he
meant—that indefinable slackness in the skin that tells the
difference between the twenties and the thirties.
No
actual lines, but the taut, young look was gone. No one noticed these
things in a café, or with flattering lighting ... but they were
there. Maybe he was right. But Jesus! Face-lifting at thirty-seven!
She had always thought of waxen-faced old crows of sixty when she
thought of face-lifting. She recalled the heavily mascaraed,
white-faced monstrosities she had seen in New York, with someone
always whispering, “She’s sixty-five. Had her face done, but it
doesn’t help.” No, it was too risky.
“Claude,
don’t let Hollywood panic you. I’ve been there. It’s not as
rough as you think. Everyone is scared of everyone else. I’ll get
by.”
“I
don’t want you to just get by!” he thundered. “You are the sex
goddess of Europe. All Hollywood is waiting to see how you measure up
to their sex symbols—Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor—and those girls are
young.”
“I’m
not Liz Taylor or Marilyn Monroe. I’m Jennifer North. I’m me!”
“And
what are you? A face and a pair of breasts! That’s all you are ...
all you’ve ever been!”
“I
haven’t done a nude scene in my last seven pictures!”
“Because
the image is planted. You could wear a burlap bag, but everyone knows
what’s under it. They know every inch of your body by heart, and
they see it no matter what you wear. Don’t ever get it into your
head that you have anything else to offer.”
“Then
the image exists in America, too. They’ve seen all my pictures.”
“Jennifer,
don’t you trust my judgment?” His manner changed and he tried a
gentle smile. “You do have something else. There are plenty of
naked stars in Europe, but they cannot touch you. Because you have
one extra ingredient. A sweetness, a youthful sweetness that no
French girl seems to have. They can be piquant, mischievous,
naive—but you have that American freshness. And that freshness can
only be retained with youth. A young face. Despite the golden hair
and the sexy breasts, there is something about your looks that
conveys an impression of innocence, of girlishness ... almost of
purity. Now, we have no problems with your body. It’s still
marvelous—but you’ve got to drop ten pounds.”
“Oh
no you don’t! That’s what happened to Neely. As it is, I take
three or four sleeping pills every night to keep the circles away.
You’re not going to get me on the pep pills. I weigh one-eighteen
and I’m five foot six—that’s thin enough.”
“For
nude scenes, yes. But not for the high fashions they will put you in.
But you will not take pep pills. I have it all arranged. You will go
to Switzerland for the sleep cure.”
“The
sleep cure. That’s for nervous breakdowns, isn’t it?”
“Also
good for weight. I’ve informed them you wish to lose ten pounds.
They’ll put you to sleep for eight days. You sleep ... and you
awake thin, rested and beautiful. After that, there will probably be
more slack to your face. Then you will have the lift.”
Traveling
through the hills of Lausanne, she thought of Maria and wondered
about her. It all seemed such a lifetime ago, yet she remembered it
with such clarity.
The
clinic was beautiful. She entered under an assumed name, and only a
handful of trusted people knew her true identity.
“You
must not worry,” the head physician said. “You will sleep. But we
will awaken you for your meals, and at all times a nurse will be in
constant attendance. You will eat without realizing it, you will be
walked around the room and taken to the bathroom, but you will not be
aware of any of this. However, this bit of exercise is necessary to
keep the lungs from filling. A nurse will change your sleeping
position every hour. And when you wake up, you will have lost your
ten pounds.”
Jennifer
smiled. “But I’ll also have lost a week of my life. Besides, I
was under the impression the sleep cure was for emotional
disturbances.”
“True.
Of course, it cannot cure a deep-rooted disturbance, one that took
years to form. For that we need psychiatric therapy and possibly even
electric shock. But it is excellent for the situational depression.
Let us give you an example. A married woman from Hollywood is here
now. Her husband is a big director. One of their small children
wandered into the swimming pool and was drowned. She is inconsolable.
She could not face the days ahead. Her husband and friends were
sympathetic, and she knows time will heal, but meanwhile she cannot
go on. She feels she cannot live through the necessary months or
years that will ease the memory. That is where the sleep cure helps.
You see, the brain has little niches. Each niche is a thought or a
memory. If we think of the same thing repeatedly, the niche grows
deeper and the thought is ingrained. It is the way an actor learns
his lines. But when the thought stops, the niche begins to fill in
like a cut. And in time it is erased. The deep tragedy and love for
the child is cut deeply in this woman’s mind. Three weeks of the
sleep cure will help the gash to heal over. When she awakens, she
will be aware she has lost her child, but the hurt and inconsolable
ache will be gone. The release that five years of time might give
will have come in three weeks—saving her years of anguish.”
Jennifer
grinned. “Well, if I’m ever a fat, unhappy girl, I’ll take the
three-week job. Now I just want to lose ten pounds.”
He
nodded. “Eight days will do it.”
It
was that simple. A smiling nurse brought her a glass of champagne,
“for the good sleep and happy thoughts.” She sipped it slowly.
Soon a young doctor appeared. He checked her pulse and blood
pressure, then gently slid a hypodermic needle into her arm. She put
the glass down. She had never experienced such a feeling. It began at
the tip of her toes; it eased through her legs; it rushed through her
hips .. and then suddenly she floated off into space and she felt
nothing more.
She
must have slept through the night, she decided. The sun was shining
when she opened her eyes. The nurse appeared with a breakfast tray.
Jennifer smiled. “They said I’d sleep through the meals, but I’m
wide awake.”
“But
you did sleep.” The nurse was grinning.
“How
long?”
“Eight
days.” Jennifer sat up. “You mean ...”
The
nurse nodded. “Mademoiselle weighs twelve pounds less—one hundred
and six.”
“Oh,
how divine!” Jennifer exclaimed. “God, what an invention!”
She
returned to Paris and Claude was delighted. “I have arranged the
face-lifting,” he said. This time she did not argue. The drastic
loss of weight had made her look haggard. Suddenly he said,
“Undress.”
She
stared at him. “Claude—that’s been dead between us for years.”
“I
have no desire to make love to you,” he said with irritation. “I
want to see if the loss of weight has hurt your body.”
She
slid out of her clothes. “Nothing’s happened. Besides, what
difference does it make? I’m not doing nude roles in America.”
He
inspected her breasts clinically. “I have arranged for you to take
a series of hormone shots to maintain the firmness of your breasts.
They will be given while you recuperate from the face lift.”
“And
where does all this gloriousness take place?”
“It
was not easy. But it is arranged. You go to the Clinique Plastique
tomorrow, under an assumed name again.”
******
Claude
had been right; it had not been easy. The operation itself had been
uncomfortable, but it was the recuperative period that had taken the
most out of her. Six weeks of isolation; staring at her swollen,
mottled face, her bloodshot eyes, the hideous black stitches behind
her ears; wondering if she would ever return to normal, terrified
that she had made a mistake. But gradually, as time passed, the
stitches were removed and the scars went from a bright, angry red to
a light pink that she knew would eventually fade.
The
swelling went down, and her spirits soared. Claude had been right all
around; it was an unqualified success. She doubted if she had looked
this perfect at twenty. She didn’t look twenty, but she looked
magnificent. Not a line in her face, and the tautness of the skin
gave it a flawless appearance. She was sure she could pass
Hollywood’s harshest scrutiny. She arrived at Idlewild on a bright
day in December. When the cameras flashed and the reporters crowded
in, she was suddenly grateful to Claude. She noticed several women
reporters eying her closely, and she smiled with easy confidence. She
was not afraid of the strong sunlight or the close glances. She knew
she looked perfect. And the newspapers noticed it, too. Every one of
them commented that she was even more beautiful than her screen
image.
She
insisted on remaining in New York for a week while she renewed
acquaintances with Anne. They spent long hours catching up on
Jennifer’s adventures and many transitory romances. At last Anne
told of her relationship with Kevin.
Jennifer
sighed. “I don’t care how nice you say he is, he’s a louse for
not marrying you.”
“It
doesn’t matter,” Anne insisted. “I’m not really in love with
him. It’s better this way.”
“Still
looking for the stars-in-your-eyes kind of love?” Jennifer asked.
“You know, Anne, I guess a woman can either love or be loved, but
it’s almost impossible to have both.”
“Why?”
“I
don’t know, but it just doesn’t seem to work out that way. You
should know. Allen loved you, even wanted to marry you. And Kevin
loves you. Yet you could walk away from either of them and feel
nothing. You loved Lyon ... and he was able to walk away from you.”
“No,
I was stupid about that. If you knew how many nights ... even now, I
still lie awake and relive it in my mind. How I should have handled
it. How it could have worked.”
“By
going back to Lawrenceville?”
“Yes.
It wouldn’t have been forever. His career as an author would have
been the same. His first book would have gotten great reviews and
made no money. Then he would have written that terrible commercial
one—that was a gesture of defiance—then a few more, and finally
movie scenarios. That’s what he’s doing in London. The same thing
would have happened here. Only he’d be in New York writing for
television, or out in Hollywood. Anyway, we’d be together. I just
panicked. If only I had thought it out ...”
“But
a man who could walk away like that ...
Anne, he never really cared.”
Anne
set her jaw firmly. “He loved me. I know he did.”
“Sure,
just like Allen thought you loved him. Like Kevin thinks you love
him. He’s so sure of you he doesn’t even feel he has to marry
you. Anne, if you really feel Kevin loves you, make him marry you.
It’s a pretty rare thing to be loved. It’s never happened to me.”
“Oh,
come on now, Jen. All of Europe loves you ...
and now you’ve got America as well.”
“They
love my face and body. Not me! There’s such a difference, Anne.”
Then she shrugged. “Maybe I’m just not very lovable.”
“I
love you, Jen—really.”
Jennifer
smiled. “I know you do. It’s a pity we’re not queer—we’d
make a marvelous team.”
Anne
laughed. “If we were, maybe it wouldn’t work out this way. As you
said, one loves and the other is loved. Or maybe it’s different
with Lesbians.”
Jennifer
had a far-off look. “No ... even with
queers, one loves and the other is loved.” She studied her face in
the mirror. “Well, you’ve got Kevin—and I’ve got Hollywood.”
“But
you are enjoying your success, aren’t you?” Anne asked.
Jennifer
shrugged. “At times. But I hate the work. I never was a career
girl. I’m no dedicated actress. And I always had my share of the
limelight, first with the Prince and then with Tony. And it all adds
up to the same thing—I really didn’t earn any of it—the Prince,
Tony or my career. My face and body got it for me. Oh, God, I’d
give my life for someone who would just love me ...”
“If
that’s what you really want, Jen, you’ll find it. I’m sure you
will.”
Jennifer
reached out and grabbed Anne’s hand. “Pray for it, Anne. I want
to get out of this rat race. I want a man to love me ...
I want a child. It’s not too late. Pray that I meet the right guy
so I can tell Claude and everyone else to go drop dead!”
Anne
1960
Kevin
Gillmore suffered a serious heart attack in the spring of 1960. For
two weeks he lay gray and lifeless in an oxygen tent. The moment he
was strong enough to speak, he reached for Anne’s hand. “Anne, am
I going to make it?”
He
seemed reassured when she squeezed his hand and nodded.
“Promise
me one thing,” he whispered. “If I do make it, will you marry
me?”
She
forced a noncommittal smile. “Don’t talk, Kevin. Just rest and
get well.”
Tears
came to his eyes. “Please, Anne. I’m afraid. I can’t face it
alone. Please ... I’ll make it if I know
that you’ll marry me ... that you’ll
always be there.”
“Kevin,
you must rest. You’re going to be fine.”
“It’s
too late for those children you wanted, Anne, but I’ll give you
everything else. I’ll sell the business ...
we’ll travel. Just say you’ll marry me and never leave me.”
She
smiled. “All right, Kevin. I promise.”
She
kept her vigil at his bedside for six long weeks. As he grew
stronger, he talked incessantly about their marriage, about the
things they would do, and how he would make everything up to her. She
grew resigned. Why not marry Kevin? What was she waiting for? She was
thirty-five—Good Lord, thirty-five! How did it happen? You felt the
same inside, but suddenly you were thirty-five and time was racing
on. One year blended into another. So much had happened—and yet so
little. She had blown her chance for the great love and for children.
But there were other compensations. She was independently wealthy.
Her original investments had more than doubled, and Henry had put her
in several other successful ventures. Each year Kevin had given her
several hundred shares of stock in the company—and the stock was
due to split two for one any day. No, money would never be a problem.
If she never worked again—and without Kevin’s help—she was a
rich woman.
But
then, money had never been a problem. Even in the beginning there had
been the five thousand in the bank. She had never been like Jennifer
... Jen, who had to send her mother money;
Jen, who had to make it. She was very proud of Jennifer’s whirlwind
success in Hollywood. She had made five pictures—five beautiful,
technicolor pictures, with someone singing for Jennifer. Someone else
danced in the long shots, but it was always Jennifer in the closeups.
And she was miraculously beautiful. Her name had been coupled with a
director and a leading man, and her latest conquest was a producer.
But from her letters and phone calls, Anne knew Jennifer was still
searching.
Toward
the end of his stay in the hospital, Kevin began planning their
honeymoon. “You’re sure you won’t mind giving up your work?”
he asked anxiously.
“My
work?” she laughed. “Kevin, you handed me the whole thing on a
silver platter.”
“No,
Anne. I started you modeling, but you did the rest. You’re good.
You’re an asset to the company.”
“Well,
you can take the asset away from the company any time you like. I
think both will survive.”
His
hand clutched hers. “I love you, Anne. I’ll sell the company ...”
She
nodded. “Now you get some rest. Plan our honeymoon while I’m
gone.”
He
clung to her hand. “Must you go?”
She
made her voice light. “I’m still working for you, and there’s a
show tonight.”
“Anne
... you know—there won’t be any sex. Not for a long while, maybe
never again.”
“Don’t
worry about it, Kevin.”
He
started to sob. “I’ll lose you, I know I will!” In spite of
herself, she felt revulsion. The terrible strength of illness—it
robbed a man of his dignity. She patted him gently. “I’ll be with
you, Kevin. I promise.”
Kevin
was back at his desk in August, strong, vital, with his old
“take-charge” power. The fear-ridden days in the oxygen tent were
a dim memory. Sure, he had had a little coronary, but it hadn’t
gotten him down. He was better than ever. The rest had done him good.
And he was going to marry Anne. Of course, being alone frightened him
at times. If anything should happen at night ...
“I
want to make the best possible deal for the company,” he told Anne.
“I’m holding out for twelve million and an honorary chairmanship
of the board. As long as the company bears my name, I want to be sure
it keeps its class. I figure I can wind up everything by the first of
the year, February at the latest. Is that okay? But if you like we
can get married right now ...”
She
smiled. “We’ve waited this long, let’s do one thing right. I
want to get married and go on a honeymoon.”
“February
then! That will be the deadline I set for myself. Then marriage and a
long honeymoon trip. We’ll go around the world.”
“Really
around the world? I mean, not just London, Paris and Rome? But the
Orient, India, Greece, Spain?”
“The
works.” He looked at her closely. “I noticed you threw in Spain.
Okay, we’ll search Spain from top to bottom. We’ll find Neely—I
promise you we will.”
She
worried about Neely constantly. After the television shambles, Neely
had sat out her year of suspension. Then, with another fanfare of
publicity, she had been signed to star in a big technicolor picture
at a major studio. She was thin, radiant and exuberant, the center of
attention. It was a major event—Neely O’Hara’s comeback. But
after a few weeks of filming, the usual uneasy rumors began to drift
into print. Neely was holding up production ... Neely had a bad back
... Neely had laryngitis. Then came the bombshell—the picture was
to be scrapped, at a loss of half a million! Once again Neely was
branded unreliable and uncooperative. There were even rumors that she
had lost her voice.
Ten
days later, with no warning, she had arrived at Anne’s apartment.
She had no money, but her lawyers were arranging for the sale of her
house—then she’d have a bundle. Anne let her move in, though she
dreaded the disrupting influence. Television had forced her into a
highly organized way of life. There were certain hours set aside to
study scripts, set times for fittings, time put aside for complete
rest and a facial before facing the cameras.
Neely’s
invasion was cyclonic from the start. The phone kept ringing;
newspapermen came in a steady stream, demanding interviews; fans were
found prowling around the building. But Anne knew Neely needed her,
and it would only be for a few weeks.
But
the weeks stretched into months. The apartment was always in a
shambles. Three maids quit. Neely broke a lamp and an end table
lurching around in a semiconscious state. Anne kept emptying bottles
of pills down the drain, but Neely seemed to have an endless source
and endless hiding places. When she wasn’t in a drugged sleep she
was underfoot, bleary-eyed, carrying around a bottle of Scotch and
screaming curses at Hollywood.
It
was Kevin who insisted she move. He put her in a hotel suite. She
could stay there as long as she wished, as his guest.
When
her money for the sale of the house came through, Neely mysteriously
checked out of the hotel. A few weeks later she turned up in a
Greenwich Village police station, arrested on a charge of disturbing
the peace, based on complaints about the loud parties she gave. She
had been almost unrecognizable in the newspaper pictures—fat,
blotchy, red-eyed, her hair falling into her eyes.
Anne
had rushed to her. Neely was holed up in a fashionable building on
lower Fifth Avenue, but the apartment looked like a tenement. It was
littered with empty whiskey bottles, and most of the furniture was
broken, stained or burned from careless cigarettes. The rumpled linen
on the bed looked as if it hadn’t been changed since Neely had
taken occupancy.
“Lemme
come and live with you, Anne,” she mumbled. “I got lotsa money. I
just can’t stand being alone. That’s why I always give parties.
And look what those slobs have done—this place was gorgeous when I
sublet it.” She looked around ruefully. “The lady I got it from
is suing me for damages, so I gotta get outta here ...”
“Neely,
you’ve got to pull yourself together. I spoke to your agents. You
are still a big name—you could do a Broadway show.”
“Nope,
I’m unreliable. They’re afraid of me.”
“Not
if you straightened out—if you did a show and proved you are
reliable.”
“I
can’t sing, Anne. I lost it.”
“No
one could sing living like this. And you shouldn’t smoke, Neely.
You smoke more than I do. Look, why not check into a hospital for a
few days—”
“No!
That’s what Dr. Gold said. He’s my new headshrinker. Wants me to
go to Connecticut to some fancy funny farm. Costs a thousand a month.
But I’m not a nut—I’m just unhappy.”
“I
agree. I meant a regular hospital—like Mt. Sinai or Doctors. Let
them get you off pills, regulate your life—”
“No.
Lemme move in with you. I’ll be good. No pills. I swear.” Anne
had heard this oath before, but she promised to think about it. When
she left she called Neely’s doctor. He was deeply concerned. He
agreed a few weeks in a hospital might help, but it wasn’t the
solution. Neely needed drastic psychiatric help.
That
night Neely disappeared. Perhaps she feared commitment. No one knew.
She had over a hundred thousand dollars, but the way she was spending
it even this sum couldn’t last long. She turned up in London, and
the British press gave her a front-page reception and an enthusiastic
welcome. She attended parties and basked in acclaim. She was booked
into the Palladium, but at the last minute canceled out. Then,
suddenly, there were stories of her exploits in Spain. She seemed to
have settled there. She made a picture—the advance publicity was
excellent, but it was never released—and after a time she gradually
disappeared from the news. Anne’s letters were returned stamped
“address unknown”—Neely seemed to have vanished.
Jennifer
1960
Jennifer
arrived in New York late in November, without publicity. Her call
came as a complete surprise to Anne.
“I’ve
got to see you,” she said eagerly. “I’m at the Sherry.”
“I’ll
come right over. Is anything wrong?”
“No,
everything’s perfect—divine! Anne, I read that Kevin was selling
the company. When is the marriage date?”
“We’re
trying for February fifteenth.”
“Good.
Maybe we can have a double celebration.”
“Oh
sure, we’ll—What? Jen, what did you say?”
“Come
on over. I’m talking on a hotel wire, remember?”
Jennifer
was waiting impatiently when Anne arrived. “I’ve got sandwiches
and Cokes all set up. We can have a real old-fashioned gab session.
Have you got time?”
“The
whole afternoon. Jen, who is he? Tell me!”
Jennifer’s
eyes were shining. “Oh, Anne, I’m so happy! I don’t even care
that I’m going to be forty next Friday. I still get the curse, so I
can still have babies, and ... well, being forty doesn’t matter
now.”
Forty!
The word hit Anne with a sudden jolt. Jennifer forty! She looked
marvelous. She recalled how she had thought Helen Lawson old at
forty, and her own mother—dried out at forty-two. But Jennifer
still had the incredible figure and the firm skin. She looked
twenty-five.
“Remember
when I attended the big Republican rally in Washington—right before
the convention?” Jennifer asked.
Anne
laughed. “Remember it! Kevin swears you’re responsible for the
Democrats getting in.”
Jennifer
grinned. “Well, it was a studio publicity thing. I was willing to
do anything for them after they got me my release from Claude. It
cost them plenty, but they did it to make me happy.” She shuddered.
“I’d had it with his dictating to me. I was nothing but a
saleable piece of flesh to him. Not that the studio doesn’t regard
me the same way, but at least they’re more delicate about it. They
even pretend I have talent.” She laughed outright.
“Now,
Jen—you were excellent in your last picture.”
“I
thought I wasn’t too bad. It was my first serious role. But the
picture’s dying everywhere.”
“That
doesn’t mean a thing. The biggest stars come up with a loser now
and then. You were listed number three at the box office in last
month’s polls.”
Jennifer
shrugged. “Listen, if I hadn’t met him, I’d be in a state of
shock. The studio is hysterical about the picture laying an egg.
They’re rushing to get top writers for my new picture ... the top
director ...” She shrugged. “But I couldn’t care less. This
morning I found two new lines under my eyes and even that
didn’t bother me.”
“Who
is he?” Anne demanded.
Jennifer
pushed away her untouched sandwich and sipped at her Coke. “Well,
you remember the shindig in Washington? He was there. We met at all
the cocktail parties. He was always nice, but he didn’t fall all
over me like everyone else did. He was remote, polite, but ...”
Anne
was exasperated. “Jen, who?”
Jennifer’s
eyes narrowed. “Winston Adams.” She waited for Anne’s reaction.
Anne
almost exploded. “You mean the senator?”
Jennifer
nodded.
“You
... and Winston Adams!”
Jennifer
leaped up and spun around the room. “Yes! Winston Adams. Senior
senator, Social Register, millionaire—comes from generations of
millionaires. But Anne, if he didn’t have a dime, I wouldn’t
care. I love him.”
Anne
sat back. Winston Adams! He was about fifty—attractive, brilliant
and immensely popular. “But Jen, I heard he was the Republicans’
big white hope, that they’re grooming him for—”
Jennifer
nodded. “They are. And he’s willing to give it all up for me.”
“How
did it happen?”
Jennifer’s
eyes grew soft. “Well, like I said, we met I met dozens of senators
and had my picture taken with all of them—you’d be surprised how
obliging some of those senators can be. They’re bigger hams than
actors. Except Winston Adams—he refused to be photographed with
me.”
“Good
for him!” Anne said. “That’s one way of attracting your
attention.”
Jennifer
shook her head. “He meant it. On the day before I left, when all
the hoopla was over, he phoned me. He said he wanted to talk to
me—asked me to dinner. I went to his apartment that night. I
thought maybe it was a big party, but it was just us.”
“He
must be a democrat at heart,” Anne said, smiling.
“No,
nothing happened. I mean, no sex—he didn’t even try. He had a
servant who was there all the time—not hovering over us, but you
knew he was there. He explained that he hadn’t meant to be rude in
refusing to pose, but that he just didn’t go for that kind of
thing. Then we talked. He asked me a lot of questions, and he
actually listened to me. We talked about Paris. He went to the
Sorbonne when he was young, and he wanted to know how Paris had
changed since the war.”
“Why
have you kept it such a secret?” Anne demanded. “He’s not
married.”
Jennifer
grinned happily. “It’s not going to be a secret any longer. Last
week marked two years since the death of his wife. He felt it
wouldn’t have looked proper until now.”
“Oh,
that’s right. They were very devoted.”
“Only
on the outside. It was one of those arranged marriages, like you
would have had if you had stayed in Lawrenceville. Both from good
snooty families with money. Oh, he thought he loved her at the time.
But she was the frigid type—hated sex. But that’s not the
important thing to him with me,” she said quickly. “He went with
me for two months without even trying. We’d sneak and meet in
out-of-the-way places—Kansas City, Chicago ... I’d wear a black
wig. Then he came to California for a week—and we did it! Anne,
he’s divine. He’s so gentle. He loves me, but for me! He was
stunned when he saw my boobs—he had always thought they were
padded! He had never even seen any of my foreign films. Anne, he’s
the first man who ever fell for me, not just my body. And he was so
shy. At first he was even afraid to touch my boobs. But I’ve
taught him, and now—wow!”
“He’s
discovered sex,” Anne said with a smile.
“Discovered
it—he acts like he invented it. But don’t you see, I don’t
mind it this way, because he was originally attracted to me without
it. And Anne, he wants children. His wife was the flat-chested,
horsey type from Maryland, and she never had any.”
“But
Jen, he’s not really young—and what makes you so sure you’ll
conceive just like that?”
“Well,
I’ve had seven abortions. My insides are ready, willing and able
all the time. And when I told Win I wanted to get out of pictures and
have children he was so happy he cried. He actually cried, Anne. He
felt life had passed him up on all the things he really wanted—a
girl he could love, children. That’s why he buried himself in his
work. He doesn’t give a damn if I louse up his career. He says the
Republicans won’t get a President in office for at least eight
years, and they can’t fire him from being a senator just because he
marries a movie star. He just wants what I want—a home and kids.”
“Does
Winston know your real age?”
Jennifer
nodded happily. “He was delighted. Of course, I didn’t tell him
about the little tucks behind my ears. I mean, let’s not scare the
man. He’s liable to think I’m something out of Shangri-La. But he
was glad I wasn’t in my twenties. He thought I’d think he was too
old. And once when I visited him on his farm, I sat around all
weekend in pigtails and no makeup and he said I was gorgeous. Oh,
Anne—it’s all so wonderful. I’m going back to the Coast next
week to drop the bomb. I’ll finish the next picture—they’ve
already shot the exteriors and fitted the costumes—but that’s it!
Let them scream. So I’ll never work again, who cares? I’m through
with the whole scene.”
“When
will you get married?”
“Well,
starting tonight we’re going out publicly. We’re going to the
theatre, then to a supper party at ’21’ with Senator Belson and
his wife. We’ll probably make all the papers tomorrow, and Win will
shyly admit we’re engaged.”
Anne
smiled. “I’ll probably see you tonight. We’re going to ’21’
too. It’s a late dinner, so we’ll probably be there when you
arrive. This will be one of those long dreary ones, with some of the
people who are buying Kevin’s company.”
Jennifer
impulsively pressed Anne’s hand. “Oh, girl friend, isn’t it
wonderful! We’ve both wound up at the top, with success, security
and a man we love and respect.”
Anne
smiled, but she felt the familiar weight descending.
When
she saw them at “21” that night, Jennifer was glowing, and she
had to admit that Senator Winston Adams was an imposing-looking man.
He was tall, with clipped steel-gray hair and a flat stomach that
suggested daily workouts at the athletic club. Jennifer stopped at
their table. Introductions were exchanged, and the Senator went out
of his way to be gracious. “I feel as if I know you,” he said to
Anne. “I’ve seen you so often on television—and of course,
Jennifer talks about you constantly.”
She
watched Jennifer all evening. Jennifer’s eyes never left the
Senator’s face. They were adoring, the eyes of a girl genuinely in
love. Anne envied her. She looked at Kevin. Thank God he had
recovered. He was so good and kind. Oh, God, why couldn’t she feel
anything for him? If she had, she would have been married to him ages
ago. Look how she had pestered Lyon, even offered to support him. But
with Lyon there was more to it than just sex. She had wanted to be
close to him every second, to crawl inside his thoughts ... oh, God,
what am I doing, she thought. There is no Lyon. Like Henry says, I’m
in love with an image ...
Jennifer
was on all the front pages the following day. And Senator Winston
Adams acknowledged they would marry early in 1961. In a flurry of
ecstasy, excitement and headlines, she returned to the Coast to make
her final picture.
1961
Jennifer
returned to New York the first week in January. Senator Adams was
detained in Washington for a few days, and Anne went with her as she
bought her trousseau.
“Everything
must be different,” she insisted. “Striking, but—you
know—subdued. You’ve got to help me, Anne.”
They
were in the fitting room at Bergdorf’s when Jennifer suddenly
leaned against the wall. “Anne ... have you an aspirin?”
She
was ashen and the pupils of her eyes were dilated. The fitter rushed
for the aspirin. Jennifer sat down. “Stop looking so terrified,
Anne.” She managed a smile. “It’s the curse. It came early,
from all the excitement, I guess. I get stabbing pains.”
Anne
relaxed. “You scared me to death.”
Jennifer
lit a cigarette. “It’s passed now. But that pain—it was a real
bonecrusher. I guess that’s what labor feels like. If this is a
sample, I’m going to find a nice painless doctor when I have my
babies.”
The
fitter returned with the aspirin and the head saleslady came rushing
in, visibly concerned.
“I
go through it too,” the woman said. “I crawl up walls. Thank God
it only comes once a month.”
“You’re
lucky,” Jennifer said. “Lately I’ve been getting it every two
or three weeks.”
The
salesgirl shook her head. “It’s better than my girl friend. She’s
beginning to go through the change. She skips whole months and
worries herself sick.”
Jennifer
selected three dresses. The salesgirl thanked her, got her autograph
for her niece and wished her luck. Later, when they were sitting at
the Palm Court having a drink, Anne said casually, “By the way,
Jen, when was the last time you had a checkup?”
Jennifer
was thoughtful. “Let’s see, the last abortion was in Sweden—it’s
legal there—that was four years ago. The doctor said I was sound as
a rock.”
“Well,
it wouldn’t hurt you to check. My doctor is excellent.” Jennifer
nodded. “Maybe I will.”
******
Dr.
Galens was calm and easy as he made out her card. The internal
examination was over; she was dressed and seated across the desk from
him. “How long has this been going on?” he asked.
“A
few months. I wouldn’t even have thought about it, but Anne’s
been on my neck. And then, when the curse continued—it’s been ten
days. I’m getting married next week, so I wanted to be sure
everything was in order. After all, I intend to start having babies
right away.”
He
nodded. “Is the Senator in town now?”
“No,
he’s in Washington. He’ll be here next week.”
“Well,
then suppose you check into the hospital tonight.”
“Tonight?”
Jennifer crushed out her cigarette. “Is anything wrong?”
“Absolutely
nothing. If you weren’t planning on getting married next week, I’d
say let’s wait and watch your next period. You have polyps in your
uterus. It’s very common. You go in for tonight, have a scraping
tomorrow and leave the hospital the following day. You will stain for
a few days, but if you go in now you’ll be fine for your wedding
day.”
Alarmed,
Anne checked with Dr. Galens. He was hiding nothing from Jennifer. It
was a simple “D and C.” She helped Jennifer pack a bag and went
along to the hospital with her.
Anne
sat in the empty hospital room after Jennifer was taken up. She was
glad it was nothing serious—Jennifer wanted a baby so much. And she
deserved one. Funny ... as close as they were, Jen had never
explained why she had gotten rid of Tony’s baby.
Dr.
Galens was down in an hour. Anne sensed instantly that something was
wrong.
“She’s
sleeping off the anesthesia,” he said.
“What
is it?” Anne demanded. “I can tell—something’s wrong. It
wasn’t just polyps.”
“It
was just polyps—exactly as I thought. There’s nothing wrong with
her insides,” he said. “But while the anesthetist was checking on
her heartbeat, he found a lump in her breast the size of a walnut.
She must have known about it.”
Anne
felt weak. “But lots of lumps mean nothing. I mean—some are only
cysts, aren’t they?”
“I
took the lump out,” he said quietly. “It was a simple, tiny
incision that wouldn’t leave a noticeable scar. I had an immediate
biopsy performed. Anne, it’s malignant. She must go up tomorrow and
have the breast removed.”
Anne
went cold with horror. Oh, God, why Jennifer? And why now? She felt
tears running down her face. “You tell her,” she sobbed. “I
can’t!”
******
Jennifer
opened her eyes slowly, struggling to wake. It was over. She smiled
at the hazy figure of the nurse beside her. “Is everything all
right?”
“Here’s
Doctor Galens now,” the nurse said brightly.
He
touched her forehead gently. “Coming out of it?”
“Mmmm
... tell me, it was just as you thought—polyps—wasn’t it?”
“Yes,
everything is fine in that department. Jennifer, why didn’t you
tell me you had a lump in your breast?”
Instinctively
her hand reached to her breast. She felt the small bandage.
“I
took out the lump. How long have you had it?”
“Dunno
...” She was getting drowsy again. “ ’Bout a year ... maybe
longer.”
“You
go back to sleep. We’ll talk about it later.”
Through
the haze of anesthesia she felt the fear. She reached out and grabbed
his arm. “Talk about what later?”
“I’m
afraid I’ll have to bring you up here again tomorrow ... to do a
little more cutting.”
“Cutting?
Like what?”
“We’re
going to have to perform a mastectomy. Dr. Richards will do it. He’s
one of our top breast surgeons.”
“What’s
a mast—what you said?”
“We
have to remove your breast, Jennifer. That lump was malignant.”
She
struggled to sit up. “No! Never! Oh, God—no!” She fell
back, her head spinning. Something was shot into her arm.
She
fell asleep, fitfully, waking some time later and clutching at the
nurse, pleading, “It was a dream, wasn’t it? I just dreamed it
under gas, didn’t I—what he said about my breast? Tell me ...”
“Now,
now ... relax,” the nurse said softly.
She
saw sympathy on the woman’s face. It was no dream. Oh, God, it was
true!
******
Anne
had rushed to Kevin’s office and sobbed out the story. He had
listened in silence, then asked. “Did Dr. Galens say the prognosis
looked hopeful?”
Anne
stared at him impatiently. “Hopeful? Haven’t you heard a word
I’ve said?”
“I
heard everything. She must lose her breast. It’s dreadful, but it’s
not the end of the world. Anne, do you know how many women live long
and happy lives after successful breast surgery? The point is to
catch it in time.”
She
looked at him gratefully. That was Kevin. Always taking hold, finding
the hopeful side of everything. He got Dr. Galens on the phone. The
doctor said he had every reason to believe the prognosis would be
good. Dr. Richards had agreed. It was a small tumor, and the survival
rate in breast surgery was high. If there was no metastasis, the
prognosis would be excellent—but that could not be determined until
the breast was removed and the lymph glands examined.
Somewhat
reassured and calmed by Kevin’s matter-of-fact reaction, Anne
returned to the hospital. Jennifer was wide awake and oddly
emotionless. She reached out and clutched Anne’s hand. “Dr.
Galens called Win,” she whispered. “He’s flying here
immediately.”
“Did
he tell him?” Anne asked.
Jennifer
shook her head. “I told him not to say a word. I feel I should be
the one to tell him.” She smiled weakly at the nurse. “I’m all
right Would you leave me alone with my friend?”
“Don’t
let her drink any fluids for at least two hours,” the nurse said.
“Do you want a special nurse ordered for tonight?”
“No,
the operation isn’t until tomorrow and Dr. Galens ordered
round-the-clock nurses starting then. I’m fine—please just leave
us alone.” She watched the nurse leave—then she jumped out of
bed.
“What
are you doing?” Anne asked, alarmed.
“I’m
getting out of here—right now!”
Anne
seized her arm. “Jennifer, are you crazy?”
“Look,
they’re not going to disfigure me. How could Win want to come near
me!”
“You
said yourself he fell in love with you, not your breasts. Now don’t
be ridiculous.”
But
Jennifer was at the closet, pulling out her clothes. “I’m getting
out of here. I’ll take the chance. He got the cancer out—he’s
not taking off my breast!”
“Jennifer—it’s
the only way they can be sure. It might have spread to another part
of the breast.”
“I
don’t care! It’s bad enough that I won’t be able to give Win
any children, but I won’t come to him deformed.”
“It
could be suicide if you leave. Do you think that’s fair to Win? To
marry him and perhaps a year later put him through this? His last
wife was sick. And what has this got to do with having a baby? You
can still have children. Dr. Galens said you were fine inside.”
“But
I mustn’t get pregnant. Dr. Galens said so. A pregnancy might stir
up some malignancy in the ovaries. There’s some direct connection
with the breast and ovaries. In fact, he said after the operation he
may give me some X-ray treatment on my ovaries to insure sterility!
What would I have to offer Win? No children, a maimed body ...”
“You
offer him you! That’s all he really wants. Look—you said you were
sick of living for your body. Well, prove it. And if you want
children you can adopt them.”
Slowly
Jennifer climbed back into bed.
Anne
rushed on. “No one need ever know—just you and Win. He’ll love
you and won’t mind about the babies. I’m positive of that. And if
you adopt a child it will be the same as your own. And the operation
will be nothing. Honest, Jen, with the pain killers today—and with
the wonderful falsies you can buy—Jen, it’s not the end of the
world.”
Jennifer
stared at the ceiling. “You know, it’s funny. All my life, the
word cancer meant death, terror, something so horrible I’d cringe.
And now I have it. And the funny part is, I’m not the least bit
frightened of the cancer itself—even if it turns out to be a death
sentence. It’s just what it’ll do to my life with Win—not being
able to give him children. And the disfigurement.”
“It
won’t show, Jen. Some people have automobile accidents, have their
faces disfigured. Some women are naturally flat-chested, and they
manage. You’re the one who’s been saying all along you didn’t
want to live for your body. Well, have some guts, some belief in
yourself—start proving it. And start believing in Win.”
Jennifer
smiled faintly. “Okay, then I’d better get out of this hospital
gown. And get me my makeup. I want to look my best when I tell him.”
She sat up and combed her hair. As she slipped into the filmy
nightgown, she stared down at the breast with the small bandage.
“Good-by, Sam,” she said. “You don’t know it, but you aren’t
going to be around much longer.”
Kevin
joined Anne, and they were both there when Winston Adams arrived at
seven. Anne had arranged the lights. Jennifer looked every inch the
movie star, and she was almost cheerful. After a brief exchange of
greetings, Kevin and Anne left.
The
moment they had gone, Winston dashed to the bed and took Jennifer in
his arms. “God, I almost died of fear. The doctor was so strange on
the phone—said you needed an operation, hinted that the wedding
might have to be postponed. And now, to see you looking so beautiful
... what kind of an operation, darling?”
She
looked at him closely. “It’s pretty drastic, Win. I’ll be
scarred and won’t be able to have any children ... and I’ll be—”
“Hush
. . . not a word.” He looked at her with adoration. “Shall I tell
you something? I was going along with the whole thing because of you.
The children, I mean. At my age, I really didn’t care one way or
another. But I wanted to please you. You seemed to want it so much,
so I pretended it was important to me. All I care about is you—can’t
you understand—”
She
held him close. “Oh, Win!” Tears of relief ran down her face.
He
stroked her hair. “You weren’t afraid you’d lose me? Oh, my
beautiful girl—you’ll never lose me. Don’t you realize I’m
just beginning to live because of you?” He kissed her breasts
through the filmy nightgown. “You’re all I want—not babies,
you. you’re the only woman who ever stirred anything in me. God,
Jennifer, before I knew you I often wondered if something wasn’t
lacking in me. I blamed it on Eleanor. Poor Eleanor—it wasn’t her
fault. She roused nothing within me, and I probably left her cold,
too. But with you ... at first, when we met, I turned away from
you—remember?”
She
nodded and stroked his head as he lay against her breasts. He kissed
the firm skin of her neck. “But you changed me, made me realize I
wasn’t running from you, that I was just afraid, running from
myself. And the moment you walked into my apartment, I knew. I knew
somehow everything would be different. Jennifer, you taught me how to
love. I could never give that up.” He caressed her breasts. “These
are my babies,” he said softly. “These are the only children I
want, to lay my face against their perfection each night ...” He
stopped as his finger stumbled against the small bandage. “What’s
this? What have they done to one of my babies?”
Her
smile was frozen. “It’s nothing ... I had a small cyst ...”
“There
won’t be a scar!” He was genuinely horrified.
“No,
Winston—they drew it out with a needle. No scar.”
“That’s
all that matters. Let them take out your ovaries—I couldn’t care
less. That’s not you—I’ve never met your ovaries. But as long
as they never harm my babies ...” He caressed her breasts again.
“Why did that doctor sound so grim when he phoned? Wouldn’t tell
me a thing—just told me to come quickly.”
“He—he
knew I wanted children—and ...”
“Why
didn’t he just say you needed a hysterectomy?” He shook his head.
“Those doctors—they’re all crepe hangers. But I’m glad I
came. Now I can go back thinking of holding you in my arms.” He
held her close. “I want to hold this memory. I won’t be able to
return until Friday.” Then he wrote down a number. “Have Anne
call me the moment the operation is over. If I’m not there, they’ll
reach me.”
He
stopped at the door and looked at her, his eyes roving over her as
though he had never really seen her before. “I love you,
Jennifer ... only you—you believe that, don’t you?”
She
smiled. “Yes, Win. I know ...”
For
a long while after he had gone, the smile remained frozen on her
face.
Dr.
Galens stopped in at midnight. “We’ll go up at eight in the
morning,” he said cheerfully. “And Jennifer—it’s going to be
all right.”
She
smiled. “You bet it will.” It was three in the morning when she
slipped out of bed. She opened her door quietly. The hospital
corridor was dimly lit, but she saw the nurse near the elevator. She
closed the door and dressed quietly.
Thank
God she had worn slacks and a trench coat—that had been to fool the
photographers. She took a bandana and tied it over her hair. Then she
tiptoed into the hall. She crept against the wall, then hid herself
in an arch that held the water cooler. The nurse on duty was sitting
under a bright light, writing in her book. There was no way to get to
the elevator without passing her. She had to stand there and pray
that sometime during the night the nurse would leave her post. She
also had to pray that no one discovered her hiding there.
The
large clock ticked loudly on and on, while the nurse wrote endlessly
in her book. Sweat ran down her neck. She felt waves of heat, as if
she were near a furnace. Damn—it was a radiator. Suddenly a buzzer
sounded. Oh, thank God! A patient was ringing. But the nurse
continued to write. Was she deaf? The buzzer rang again, seeming more
insistent this time. “Go answer it!” Jennifer screamed inwardly.
As if taking a cue, the buzzer rang again, and kept ringing. The
nurse rose lethargically, looked at the room number the arrow pointed
to and headed down the hall.
Jennifer
watched her disappear into a room, then ran swiftly to the elevator.
No—it might take too long in coming and make too much noise. The
stairway ... she ran down eight flights of stairs. When she reached
the lobby, she was out of breath. She looked around warily. No one
paid any attention to her. The elevator man was smoking, talking to
the cashier. She ran out into the street and walked a few blocks
before hailing a cab. She reached her hotel at four in the morning.
When
the nurse found her room empty the following morning she notified Dr.
Galens, and he called Jennifer’s hotel immediately. When her room
failed to answer, he had the assistant manager open the door.
She
was lying on the bed, in her most beautiful dress and full stage
makeup, clutching an empty bottle of sleeping pills. There were two
notes. Anne’s read:
Anne—No
embalmer could make me up as well as I do myself. Thank God for the
dolls. Sorry I couldn’t stick around for your wedding. I love you.
Jen
The note to Winston Adams said:
Dear
Win—I had to leave—to save your babies. Thanks for making it all
almost come true.
Jennifer
******
Senator Adams offered no
explanation about the note. When cornered by the press he muttered a
terse “No comment.” Anne was just as tight-lipped. Dr. Galens
refused to discuss the nature of Jennifer’s ailment. She had gone
through a minor operation the previous day, and there was nothing he
could add.
The funeral was a nightmare.
Frenzied mobs clustered outside the church, blocking traffic on Fifth
Avenue. Mounted police were called to enforce order and to unsnarl
crosstown traffic. Newspapers ran Jennifer’s life story, Anne’s
picture made the front pages—and to complicate the frantic
confusion, Jennifer’s mother arrived, eagerly giving out the
Cinderella story to every attentive reporter, sobbing on cue, and
demanding an itemized account of all of Jennifer’s clothes, furs
and jewelry.
Anne might have been able to
handle Jennifer’s mother, but the appearance of Claude Chardot
caused new complications. He produced a will, and while Henry Bellamy
frantically searched for a later will, proclaimed himself the
rightful heir. Then, to climax things, Neely arrived.
She was frantic that she had
missed the funeral. She had been in Spain. She moved in with Anne and
took over the spotlight. The newspaper stories eased away from
Jennifer and played up Neely, who was painfully thin and glamorous.
She was eager to work—but of course not until she got over this
awful thing about Jennifer.
Somehow Anne managed to get
through her appearances on television. She was taping the commercials
now, and the new owners of the company were pleading with her to stay
on at a large increase in salary. Her involvement in the publicity
about Jennifer had increased her name value. Jennifer’s tragedy had
postponed her own wedding. April was now the new date.
It took three weeks for the
publicity to ease off. Then, after two days of quiet, two days
without any mention of Jennifer in the papers, violent new headlines
erupted. Senator Winston Adams had resigned from office. He was
suffering a mild breakdown and intended to travel for a year.
Jennifer’s
suicide was revived amidst new speculations. Dr. Galens was harassed.
Yes, he had told the Senator the nature of Jennifer’s illness—after
all, as her fiancé he had a right to the facts. But the facts were
for the Senator, not the press. Anne taped several commercials and
fled to Palm Beach with Kevin. It was one of the nicest weeks she had
known in years. And she had also been able to avoid the hysteria of
Neely’s first television appearance. Neely’s new agent had booked
her on a top variety show as the guest star, at a fantastic fee. It
was to be taped, so Neely felt secure.
Anne watched the show in Palm
Beach. Neely was superb. Everything caught fire—her voice was
perfect and she glowed, with eyes like large coals. Neely was no
longer a child, but the impish quality was still there. The trembling
lip, the nervous laugh, the girlish desire to please—all this came
through. It seemed incredible, but she was better than ever. Once
again there were shouts of “genius” ... ”a living legend.” It
was a spectacular comeback. She signed for a picture in Hollywood.
Neely was back on top.
Neely
1961
Neely carelessly tossed things
into a bag. “I’ll get new clothes out there,” she told Anne.
“Geez, I’ve left most of my stuff in Spain—now can I leave some
with you?”
“I’ll probably be married
before you return, Neely, and I’m going around the world. I might
sublet the apartment.”
“Well, I guess I’ll take
this along. I’m like a gypsy, all spread out. But it’s good this
happened. I was just about busted. Hey, what happened to Jennifer’s
money?”
“It will all go to her mother.
That Paris will was a phony—Henry found some peculiarities in it.
Claude will get fifty per cent on any reruns of her pictures made
while she was still under contract to him. But the rest goes to her
mother. That’s mostly jewelry and furs. And they’re reissuing her
pictures. But there wasn’t any real money.”
Neely shrugged. “Listen, for a
girl with no talent, she lived pretty good. Why do you think she did
it? The Dutch act, I mean.”
“I’ve told you, Neely, I
really don’t know.”
“Well, I’ve figured it out.
I don’t think she had anything wrong with her like some of the
rumors—some people think it was TB and I even heard a crazy rumor
of incurable cancer. I think the real reason she took a powder was
because she was losing her looks.”
“That’s ridiculous! Jennifer
was more beautiful than ever.”
“But her last picture was a
bomb. Oh, this new one will make money because of the publicity, but
I heard that wasn’t too hot either. She was slipping, all right.”
“Neely, she was retiring. She
was going to get married.”
“Yeah, I read all that jazz in
Spain, how she suddenly found true love and all. But come on—the
Senator was no Rock Hudson. Jen got pretty bored sitting around just
being married to Tony, and he was young and gorgeous. Nope, I think
she just couldn’t face it. She was getting older, and her looks had
to go soon, and she couldn’t settle for just the Senator. So she
took a powder. Now me, I never have to worry. I have talent, and fat
or thin it doesn’t matter. Look at Helen Lawson. She wasn’t like
me, of course—it was mechanics with her, and now that her voice is
gone she’s going to the Coast to play a character role in some
television series. But even with her voice gone she’ll survive,
because she had a talent.”
“Helen will survive,” Anne
said slowly, “because she has no real emotions. Any unhappiness she
has is like a child’s unhappiness. It can be erased with a new toy.
But any voice—even yours, Neely—must be taken care of.”
“No, my voice comes from
inside, from the way I feel things. And I’ve learned something—guys
will leave you, your looks will go, your kids will grow up and
everything you thought was great will go sour. All you can really
count on is yourself and your talent.”
******
Three weeks later Neely
returned. She was in a state of near collapse. “Anne—my voice—on
the third day of recording, it went! I can’t sing!”
Anne tried to calm her. There
were wonderful throat men ... things like this happened to singers
all the time.
“No, I’m through,” Neely
wailed. “I was examined by every doctor. I haven’t even got a
nodule. They say it’s nerves, but it’s not. God is punishing me
for talking about Jen the way I did. And they had to scrap the
picture. I’m through for good—they’ll never touch me out
there.”
“God doesn’t work that way,”
Anne said soothingly. “If anyone is punishing you, you’re doing
it to yourself.”
“Oh sure, that’s what my
last headshrinker said—that I have a self-destructive urge and that
I’m always punishing myself for some imaginary guilt. That’s a
lot of shit! I’ve never done anything wrong.”
Neely found a new psychiatrist.
Dr. Massinger was highly recommended. Anne insisted that Neely live
with her. She was positive that intensive therapy and a friend’s
support would pull Neely out of it. She had always snapped back
before.
And Neely tried. She tried to be
neat, and she didn’t clutter the apartment. But she never slept.
She went out with musicians, came home and sat in the living room
until dawn, gulping Seconals and listening to her old records.
One
morning, Anne awakened and found Neely huddled in the living room
with tears running down her face. “I’m through, Anne. I tried to
sing with my records, and I can’t make it.”
“But Dr. Massinger says it’s
nerves. Your voice will come back, Neely.”
“He said Hollywood gave me
nerves. That’s why I tried tonight, for the first time, here,
alone, with no cameras and no Hollywood. Anne, my throat closed. I
can’t sing.”
“It’s only been a few weeks,
Neely—give it time.”
Neely stood up. “Maybe.” She
wandered into the bathroom and swallowed a few pills. “Got some
Scotch, Anne? The pills won’t work without it.”
Anne handed her a bottle. It was
going to be one of those days, with Neely bombed out on pills. It was
Sunday, and she had planned to stay in. She had invited Kevin to
dinner and she had meant to cook her one dish, a crabmeat casserole.
But now Neely would sleep all day.
She phoned Kevin and arranged to
spend the day at his place. Later they could go down to LĂĽchow’s
for dinner.
Neely heard the door close. She
wasn’t asleep, but it had been easier to pretend to sleep. Anne got
so nervous when she drank and took pills—was always afraid she’d
set herself on fire or something. Neely sat up and poured herself
another stiff drink. She lit a cigarette. Christ, it was the last
one. And you could be sure Anne had stashed all the rest away, just
for safety. Well, she’d fall asleep soon.
She refilled her glass, then
realized she was drinking too fast. Better sip it, with a few more
pills. She reached under her pillow—she had hidden three red dolls
there. She swallowed them and sipped the Scotch slowly. The pills
were finally working—she felt lethargic. But she couldn’t sleep.
She refilled her glass. Damn, the bottle was nearly empty. And no
cigarettes. Well, maybe a few more dolls. But she had taken so
many—and that could be dangerous. Dr. Massinger had warned her that
one day her tolerance might not be as great as usual. So what! If her
talent was gone, why not? What was there to hang around for? She only
had ten thousand dollars left. Geez, no—there had been ten
thousand when she left the Coast, but she had sent a check for the
twins’ school—that was twelve hundred—and then twenty-five a
day to the headshrinker for three weeks, and her trip in was a few
hundred. And she had been writing checks for cash right and left!
Maybe there was only five thousand left. How long could that last?
And she couldn’t stay with Anne forever—Anne was getting married
next month. Geez, where was she gonna get money? The house was
gone—no insurance ... maybe she should just swallow the rest of the
bottle. Ted would have to take care of the kids, but they didn’t
really care about her—when she saw them on the Coast it was just
“gimme, get me, buy me.”
There was no one who cared if
she lived or died. No one cared about her. Maybe God did, if there
was a God.
“Hey, God, are you really up
there?” she said. “Are you a big white-haired man with a beard?
Do you understand me? Tell me, what went wrong? I never asked for too
much. Geez, all I wanted was an apartment and a guy to love me. I
tried—why did you fuck it up all the time? Why in hell did you give
me a voice if you didn’t want me to be great? Why did you take it
away?” She poured the last of the Scotch and dropped the bottle on
the floor. “Hey, Jen—are you up there? I know you’re not flying
around with big wings or any of that jazz, but if there is another
life and you are somewhere, then maybe you can hear me. Did you feel
like this? Geez, I’d love to be with you ... it’s got to be
better than this. What’s here for me? Another day, another night to
get through—go to Jilly’s with guys who are nothing, who want to
be seen with me while I sign the tabs.”
She drained the glass. “Geez,
I’m thirty-two ... that’s not young any more. There’s got to be
some kind of a crazy heaven ... not the jazz with harps and angels,
but maybe like Earth without problems. Sure, it’s got to be. After
all, look at all the bright people who believe, like the President
and Clare Booth Luce. Maybe I should become a Catholic or something.
I guess I was born one, but I never got to go to church. But there
has to be a heaven, Jen, because look at all those babies who got
killed by Hitler. And look at all the people born deaf and blind like
Helen Keller. If there wasn’t something after, then it wouldn’t
be fair. Why should a nice lady like Helen Keller never be able to
see or hear and someone like you have everything if it wasn’t gonna
be evened up later on. Sure, there’s a heaven. Look at my sister,
living with that dope Charlie. Why should I be so successful and my
sister be stuck in Astoria with nothing if there isn’t a heaven
later on? Sure. Hey, Jen, does it hurt before you die? Were you
scared? Stay with me, Jen ... I’m gonna get some more pills—I’m
gonna join you.”
She ran into the bathroom. She
had hidden the bottle behind the bath salts. Only six left! She
swallowed them quickly. Six wouldn’t do it, though. Maybe aspirin?
Maybe a whole bottle of aspirin on top of the pills? Shit! Only five
aspirin left. She swallowed them. No more Scotch, but there was some
bourbon Anne kept in the bar for Kevin. That on top of the Scotch ...
She started out of the bathroom, lurched—and the glass she was
carrying crashed to the tile floor. Oh, Geez ... Anne got so mad when
she broke things. She stopped to pick up the fragments. It was just a
bar glass, but knowing Anne, it was probably crystal or something.
She picked up a long sliver. Boy, this would do it—one slash across
the wrist and she’d have a funeral like Jennifer. Would they fight
over her too? Would Ted Casablanca demand she be buried out there, or
would her half-assed sister come to life and demand to take over?
Geez, imagine spending the rest of your life in some stinking
cemetery in Astoria. Anne would fight for dignity, but she wanted the
biggest funeral ever ...
even bigger than Jennifer’s.
Well, nothing could be bigger than that. Okay, as big as
Jennifer’s. But what if there was no heaven or God? Then she’d be
dead, but she couldn’t enjoy it. But—she held the sliver—if she
were almost dead, there would be the same fuss. Like before in
Hollywood ... maybe they’d even plead with her to come back, and
everyone would be sorry. Then, if she wasn’t nervous, maybe she
could sing, and everything would be wonderful again ...
“Well, let’s get some
bourbon first,” she said, wobbling to the bar. She found the bottle
and a glass and poured a stiff drink. Still holding the sliver of
glass, she made her way back to the bedroom. She got into bed, took a
deep swallow of the bourbon, then studied her wrist. If she cut the
side—not the big vein, because that could really kill you, but just
a little nick on the side . . . just enough to bleed. She dug the
glass in deep—make it about one inch wide, but not over the main
vein—good, the blood was coming. She lay back and watched it ooze.
Geez, it was a lot of blood and really coming fast. Hey! Maybe she
really cut something important! Geez, it wouldn’t stop! She picked
up the phone. Where in hell was Anne? The blood was coming faster,
and now those goddam pills were working. It was the bourbon that was
doing it ...
She dialed Operator. An
impersonal voice answered. “I’m Neely O’Hara,” she mumbled.
“I’m dying ...”
“What is your number?” the
operator asked.
“My number?” She looked down
at the phone. Everything was getting fuzzy. “I don’t know ...
it’s unlisted ... I can’t remember. Please help. I cut my wrist
... the blood ...”
“Your address?”
“East Sixty-second Street near
Park. Apartment belongs to Anne Welles ...”
“The television star?” The
operator was no longer impersonal.
“Sure ... sure ...” Neely
let the receiver fall and her eyes began to close. She forced them
open. God, she had ruined Anne’s sheets. Her arm was dangling
lifelessly over the side of the bed and the blood was spotting Anne’s
gold carpet. Geez, Anne would never let her stay here again. “Please,
operator, hurry ...” All that blood, and it was still coming ...
but she wasn’t going to die. You can’t die if you can think this
clearly ... I’m sleepy ... not dying . . . just sleepy ... damn the
dolls ... of all times, now they have to work. . . .
******
Neely opened her eyes and closed
them quickly. It smelled like a hospital. That meant she was alive!
She began to remember. The bells, the ambulance ... she opened her
eyes again. Anne was sitting across the room with Kevin. Anne sprang
up. “Oh, Neely, you’re awake! Thank God!”
Neely smiled weakly. “I’m
sorry about the apartment.”
“Forget it.”
“Where am I?”
“At Park North Hospital.”
Neely wrinkled her nose. “Why
not Doctors? I hear that’s divine.”
Kevin crossed the room. “Listen,
young lady, you’re damned lucky to be here. Do you know where they
were taking you when we arrived at the apartment? Bellevue!”
Neely struggled to sit up. “Oh,
Geez, that’s all I’d need.”
“It’s lucky we decided to
come back. Anne wanted to look in on you. We found the ambulance and
the police. They were taking you to Bellevue. It’s a law—all
attempted suicides have to go to Bellevue and stay there for a
period of observation.”
“Geez!”
“It was Kevin who saved the
day,” Anne said. “He pointed to the broken glass and insisted it
was an accident.”
Kevin frowned. “I had to
spread around a lot of twenty-dollar bills to make them see it my
way. And we had no time to pick hospitals—you were pretty far gone,
and this was nearest.”
“It wasn’t really suicide,”
Neely said.
“Well, it will do until the
real thing comes along,” Anne said.
“Did I make the papers?”
“Front page.” Anne pulled a
chair up to Neely’s bed. “Neely, we’ve got to do something
about your life.”
Tears came to Neely’s eyes.
“What’s there to do? I can’t sing any more.”
“It’s all up there.” Kevin
tapped his head. “There’s nothing wrong with your throat.”
“So go tell that to my throat.
I’m willing, but the notes won’t come.”
“All right. You’ll be out of
here in a few days. Then what?” Kevin demanded.
Neely’s eyes filled with
tears. “I’ll leave Anne’s apartment—don’t worry. I’ll
check into a hotel.”
“It can’t go on like this,
Neely ... all the pills and booze. The next time you won’t be so
lucky.”
Neely stretched out. “If I
could only sleep, really sleep—like for a week—then I’d be all
right. This way I never get more than a few hours. It’s been so
long since I had a real night’s sleep ...”
“The sleep cure!” Anne said
suddenly.
Both Kevin and Neely stared
questioningly. “Yes, the sleep cure,” Anne insisted. She
explained how Jennifer had taken it in Switzerland to lose weight,
but that it was created to help with emotional disturbances.
Neely was enthusiastic. “A
week of sleep! Oh, God, then I bet I’d sing. But Switzerland—that
would cost a fortune.”
“If it’s a legitimate
treatment, I’m sure we have it here,” Kevin declared.
Dr. Massinger was against it.
Yes, he knew about the sleep cure. But Neely’s disturbance was too
deeply rooted. It was his feeling that she needed at least a year in
a sanitarium. “This is no situational depression,” he insisted.
“This girl is deeply disturbed. From her records it is obvious she
had suicidal tendencies ten years ago. I recommended a sanitarium the
moment she came to me, but she refused to go. She’s been going on
sheer nerve and pills ever since. But now she has no choice. She must
go away.” He recommended several sanitariums.
Neely would have none of it. “Me
go and live with kooks? No siree. I want the plush treatment, like
Jennifer had. Champagne for starters, a sympathetic nurse, a lovely
needle ... and sleep, beautiful sleep.”
After frantic calls, Kevin
finally located a large private sanitarium in upstate New York. Yes,
they knew about the sleep cure. They would be delighted to accept
Miss O’Hara and administer it to her. Yes, it would be done with
the utmost secrecy—the newspapers would never know.
On a balmy Sunday in March,
Kevin and Anne drove Neely to Haven Manor. Anne felt confident when
she saw the spacious grounds and well-tended lawns. Neely had
fortified herself with a few dolls for courage.
They entered a large,
ivy-covered Tudor mansion and were ushered into a drawing room lined
with paintings of late benefactors. Dr. Hall, the chief of staff,
greeted them. He shook hands with Neely. “I’m a great admirer of
yours, Miss O’Hara.”
Neely smiled weakly. “Now, if
you’ll just complete these forms ... Neely signed her name to
several papers. “Okay, let’s get to the sleep cure,” she said
brightly.
Dr. Hall pressed a button. A
large, stout woman in a white coat appeared. “This is Dr. Archer,
my assistant. She will take Miss O’Hara to her room.”
Neely grasped Anne’s hand. “I
can’t thank you enough. You’ll come for me in a week?” Anne
nodded. Neely turned to Kevin. “I know you’re paying the freight
for this. Thanks a lot.”
He shook his head. “I offered
to, but Anne is taking care of it. She insisted.” Neely looked at
Anne with a shy, sleepy grin.
“Annie ... always there, huh?
Thanks.”
“Just get well, Neely,” Anne
said.
“I jus’ wanna sleep for a
long time.” She went out, leaning on Dr. Archer’s arm.
Anne rose to leave. Dr. Hall
cleared his throat. “Miss Welles ... and Mr. Gillmore. Could we
talk about this?”
“About what?” Anne sat down
again. “This so-called sleep cure. I’ve been on the phone with
Dr. Massinger, and I have Miss O’Hara’s past records here. He
sent them on. A sleep cure is not the answer, you know.”
“But you said—” Anne was
nonplussed.
“I said we could give it. But
I hadn’t seen her records or talked to her doctor at the time. We
still can, but I would hardly recommend it. Oh, she might come out of
it refreshed. She might even function for a few weeks, a month—then
she’d return to her old habits. Eventually she would kill herself.
She’s bent on it, you know. She’s a great talent—we owe it to
her to cure her.”
“But how?” Anne asked.
“Not with sleep cures or
pills. This girl is an addict now. Sleeping-pill addiction can be as
serious as any other addiction and harder to cure, because
unfortunately it’s quite easy for a patient to get pills on the
outside. It’s a little tougher to get cocaine, heroin or morphine.
Did you know that on the day of the suicide attempt she had taken
fifty pills? I checked with her druggist. Her prescription had been
filled the night before. And Dr. Massinger never gave them to
her—each prescription had a new physician’s name on it. And that
bottle of fifty pills was empty when she was found, that and a good
supply of liquor—a dangerous combination. Yet she still needed to
cut her wrists to accomplish the act. Her tolerance is the tolerance
of an addict.”
“What would you recommend?”
This was Kevin.
“I’d like to try deep
psychiatric therapy. Not shock—not yet, anyway. I hope she won’t
need it. But I think, with real work, we can return a bright-eyed,
talented girl to the world.”
“How long would it take?”
Anne asked.
“At least a year.”
Anne smiled ruefully. “You’d
never convince Neely. She’d leave immediately if she didn’t get
the sleep cure.”
Dr. Hall’s smile was tired.
“She signed this.” He tapped a paper. “She committed herself.
Of course, she thought she was just signing in. But this states she
must remain here for at least thirty days.”
“Thirty days,” Anne said
thoughtfully. “But I know Neely. You’ll never convince her to
stay beyond the thirty days.”
“If we can’t, you can commit
her.”
“I?” Anne was horrified.
“Never!”
Dr. Hall smiled. “Then we
could have her certified.”
“What’s that?”
“If our psychiatrists agree
that she needs further treatment, we present the case in court. Three
outside psychiatrists are called in. If they concur, the court
commits her for three months—and every three months she is
automatically committed again. We often do this,” he said easily.
“It takes the feeling of guilt away from relatives and friends.”
“But this is like railroading
her,” Anne protested. “She thinks she’s going to have a week’s
sleep. We promised her ...”
“Miss Welles, I admire Miss
O’Hara. She’s a great talent. It costs fifteen hundred dollars a
month to stay here, and there is a waiting list from all over the
country. We took Miss O’Hara ahead of the others because she is an
artist—she must be cured. I beg this chance for her. I beg it from
you.”
“But Neely was so against a
sanitarium—”
“Miss O’Hara is in no
condition to make any decision about her future. In fact, if left to
her own devices, she won’t have a future.”
Kevin suddenly took over. “I
think Dr. Hall knows best. Let’s at least give it a try.”
Anne noddly dumbly. “When can
we see her?”
“Not for two weeks. But you
may call me every day, and I’ll report her progress. I guarantee
you’ll find her much improved when you visit her.”
Anne was silent as they drove
back to the city. “Fifteen hundred a month for a year?” Kevin
said to her. “Anne, you’d better let me take over.”
“No, this is my
responsibility. Kevin, I was thinking ... If I signed with Gillian
... they’re offering me two thousand a week. ...”
“What about our marriage? And
our trip?”
“It’s waited this
long—what’s a few more months? Besides, I can’t leave on a long
trip with Neely at Haven Manor. I’ll have to visit her.”
“You don’t want to marry me,
do you, Anne?”
“I do, but—”
“No. That’s why you’re
paying Neely’s bills. You don’t want to feel obligated to me.”
“Kevin, you kept me waiting
many years before you decided you were ready for marriage. I think we
at least owe Neely a few months.”
“So we don’t go on a
honeymoon till Neely is set—okay, I’ll buy that—but why can’t
we get married? And why should you keep working?”
“If I want to pay for Neely,
I’ll have to work. I talked with Henry Bellamy the other day. He
told me I was worth close to a million dollars. Of course, a great
deal of it is paper profit, but it’s blue-chip paper. But I
couldn’t carry Neely without touching my capital, and that would
mean selling off some stock. Henry doesn’t want me to do that—he
thinks A.T.&T. will keep soaring, that there will be a split. But
if I sign with Gillian for another twenty-six weeks, I can afford
Neely. That would bring us to next October, and by then Neely should
be well on her way to recovery. Then we’ll get married and off
we’ll go. I promise.”
Kevin stared off into the
distance. He had to go along. Goddam that little brat—whenever she
came to town she caused nothing but trouble.
Anne sighed. “Poor Neely. I
guess they’ve broken it to her by now. I wonder how she’s taking
it.”
******
At first Neely had been patient.
She sat in Dr. Archer’s office, monotonously answering the
questions the woman asked, lighting one cigarette after another and
waiting for the blessed needle that would give her the wonderful
sleep. Dr. Archer’s phone finally rang. Neely guessed it was Dr.
Hall, giving orders. Dr. Archer answered with a terse, “Yes,
Doctor. Of course, Doctor. I’m so glad. I’m in full agreement.”
Neely yawned. Fine. They agreed.
That was nice. Now come on, get with it. Dr. Archer pressed a button.
Neely stared at the woman’s orthopedic shoes. Now why couldn’t
they be nice white shoes? Why did they have to be thick, ugly
oxfords? Geez, she was probably born that way—wore orthopedic
booties when she was a baby. Neely laughed out loud at this thought,
and Dr. Archer turned in surprise. Then a new pair of white shoes,
topped by a white uniform, entered the room.
“This is Miss O’Hara,” Dr.
Archer said. “Take her to Building Four.”
“Is that where the sleep cure
is given?” Neely asked good-naturedly as she followed the nurse.
The nurse merely smiled and led her through a series of underground
corridors. At each entrance she took out a large set of keys and
unlocked a door, then immediately locked it when they had passed
through.
“Hey—where is this place? In
New Jersey? We been walking a mile.”
“Haven Manor has twenty
buildings, not including the gymnasium and occupational therapy
building, and although they are all separate buildings, there is an
underground passage that connects each one. We have passed from the
administration building through Buildings Two and Three, and are now
approaching Four.” There was a note of civic pride in her voice.
Building Four was like a private
cottage. Neely spotted women of various ages watching television in a
large room. They all looked perfectly normal, she thought. The nurse
led her down a long hall past many tiny cubbyholes. Geez, some crappy
bedrooms. Her bedroom on Fifty-second Street had been three times the
size. Each room had a bed, a window, a bureau and a chair. But maybe
she was going upstairs to a deluxe suite or something. Obviously this
was not the sleep-cure department.
The nurse stopped at a tiny
cubbyhole at the end of the hall. “This will be your room.” Neely
started to protest—but what the hell, she was going to be asleep.
What did it matter if there was no view? She flopped down on the bed.
“Okay, bring on the needle.”
The nurse left the room. Minutes
ticked by. She looked at her watch. Where in hell were they? She
called out, “Hey ... what gives?”
Two nurses suddenly appeared.
“You want something, Miss O’Hara?”
“You bet I do. I’m supposed
to be put to sleep.”
The nurses exchanged a curious
glance.
“I’m here for the sleep
cure,” Neely repeated.
“You’re in Building Four.
This is the adjustment building.”
“Adjustment for what?”
“All new patients come here
for a few days while we evaluate their cases. Then they are
transferred to the building that best suits them.”
Neely walked to the bureau and
opened her bag. She took out a cigarette. “Call Dr. Hall. There’s
been some mistake.”
One of the nurses leaped over
and grabbed Neely’s matches. “Hey, what are you doing?” she
yelled.
“You are not allowed matches
in here.”
“How am I supposed to light my
cigarettes?”
The nurse took her bag. “You
can’t smoke. There are certain hours when you are allowed to
smoke—under supervision.”
Neely tried to snatch her bag
back, but it was two against one. “Call Dr. Hall!” she demanded.
“These are Dr. Hall’s
orders,” one nurse said. “Now come on, Miss O’Hara. At five
o’clock you get two cigarettes. Let’s go out and meet the other
patients.”
“What? Me socialize at a funny
farm? I’m Neely O’Hara—I pick my friends. Call Anne Welles, or
Kevin Gillmore. This is ridiculous. I’m leaving!” She started for
the door.
One of the nurses detained her.
“She’s still wearing her watch,” the other one said. She
unstrapped it, forcefully, from Neely’s wrist.
“Hey, that watch cost a
thousand bucks!”
“It will be put in the safe.
You’ll get it back, along with your other personal effects, when
you leave.”
Neely began to panic. She had
never felt this helpless kind of fear before. “Look, call Anne
Welles,” she pleaded. “She’ll set things straight.”
Another half hour passed. Neely
alternated between anger and fright. She wanted a cigarette. The two
Seconals had worn off, and she was wide awake and terrified. She
rang. A nurse appeared. The nurse was polite but evasive. Miss O’Hara
could have a cigarette right now if she came into the lounge. In
fact, she had better hurry. If she missed this smoking period she
couldn’t smoke again until nine o’clock.
“Who the hell are you to tell
me when I can smoke?” she screamed. “This is no charity ward.
This place costs money—I want to be treated with respect.”
“We respect you, Miss O’Hara.
But in turn, you must respect the rules of Haven Manor.”
“I don’t follow rules. I
make the rules! I’m Neely O’Hara.”
“We know that. We all admire
your work very much.”
“Then do as I say!” she
demanded.
“We follow orders from Dr.
Hall and Dr. Archer.”
“Well, call Dr. Hall!” She
turned her back on the nurse. She felt a gnawing terror. Maybe this
Dr. Hall was trying to pull a double cross. No, she was just scared,
that’s all. There was just some mixup. Dr. Hall wouldn’t dare.
Why, if Anne and Kevin found out there’d be hell to pay!
Ten minutes later the nurse
returned. “Miss O’Hara, if you’d like to smoke before dinner,
please come out. There are only ten more minutes left.”
“I won’t join those kooks!”
The nurse disappeared. Neely
began to pace. Boy, she sure needed this sleep cure. She needed some
dolls—her hands were shaking. Geez, lately it was getting so she
needed a couple of dolls every hour just to keep calm. But the sleep
cure would break the habit. Dr. Massinger thought she had just built
up this tolerance. Geez, after Spain, what were twenty or thirty
dolls a day? But it was lucky she’d left, or she mighta really
gotten sick. Damn that Dr. Madera—he had given her that first shot
of Demerol ... oh, God, that was an exquisite feeling. It had removed
all cares. After the first shot, she had lain in bed for six hours,
feeling a silken happiness and a sense of well-being such as she had
never known. She felt she could sing better than ever; reach notes
that weren’t even there; remain thin without the green dolls; act
better than ever.
Of course, when it wore off she
felt lousy. How could she face another day, another lover, another
party? But there was always Dr. Madera to fix her “bad back.” She
had learned that on the movie set in Hollywood—claim a bad back.
X-rays can’t pinpoint it; studio doctors can examine you and can’t
dispute it. It had often brought her a few days’ release from work.
It had worked with Dr. Madera, too—only Demerol was Dr. Madera’s
contribution. They never gave that in Hollywood. And Dr. Madera had
been very generous with the Demerol. Gave her three shots a day for a
whole wonderful year.
After a short time she didn’t
just lie in bed. She could function with the Demerol. She’d get up
and go nightclubbing, and sing—she never sang better. The picture
she had made in Spain—Geez, if only it had gotten an American
release. She had reached a new peak in it; she had been thin and
vibrant—you didn’t want to eat as long as you had Demerol—and
her eyes had been like burning coals. Sure, that was because the
pupils went so big and black, dilated from the Demerol. But her voice
... clear and pure.
Then there’d been the money
situation, the wire from California. Ted was going to sue for custody
of the twins if she didn’t return and take care of them. As if
she’d let her sons live with that whore he married! And then, to
top everything, Jennifer’s suicide. She had had to leave Spain—and
the Demerol. The dolls helped, but now she needed so many—at least
thirty a day. Thirty Seconals ... God, she had only had about six
today, and the last had been two hours ago. Where in hell was Dr.
Hall? When did this thing begin?
A nurse came to inform her that
dinner was being served. Would she please come to the dining room?
She would not! “I want a cigarette and some Seconals—at least
six—to last until Dr. Hall starts this sleep cure.”
She flopped on the bed. Her
throat was parched. Geez, a drink, anything ... this two-by-four cage
was beginning to crowd in on her. If something didn’t happen soon
she’d just walk out of here. They couldn’t stop her—it wasn’t
like she was in jail. She heard footsteps. She sat up. Maybe now they
were going to put this show on the road. A nurse appeared, carrying a
dinner tray. “Miss O’Hara, if you wish to eat in your room—”
The nurse never had a chance to
finish the sentence. Neely’s patience snapped. She picked up the
tray and hurled it across the room. The nurse ducked. Another one
came running. Neely exploded with rage. “I don’t want to eat and
I don’t want to socialize. I just want to sleep. Now get me my
cigarettes—and give me the sleep cure this minute or I’m leaving.
I’ve had enough!”
One nurse, who seemed more
important than the others, took charge. “Miss O’Hara, there is no
sleep cure.”
“What do you mean?”
“I have checked with Dr. Hall.
No sleep cure, no barbiturates. You are going to get well with
psychiatry and therapy.”
“I’m leaving!” Neely
started for the door, but she was restrained by four arms. “Get
your filthy hands off me!” she screamed. “Let me alone!” She
started flailing at them with her fists.
A nurse started shouting orders.
“Take her to Hawthorn!”
“I’m going home!” Neely
screamed. More nurses appeared, and Neely found herself being dragged
down a hall. It couldn’t be happening! She, Neely O’Hara, being
dragged by four nurses. And this unearthly screaming—it was coming
from her! But she wasn’t having a fit, she was just goddam mad at
this doublecross.
She fought them all the
way—through halls, while doors were locked and unlocked, into
another building, down another entrance hall. Two new nurses leaped
to take charge. She was dragged down another hall, to another
two-by-four room—but even in her fury she noticed the difference.
This one had no carpet, no drapes, no bureau. Just a bed—like in a
cell! She was deposited on the bed. Her slacks were torn. Thank God
she had packed another pair.
A young nurse came and sat down
beside her. “Come on now, Miss O’Hara, let’s have some dinner.”
“I want to go home!” Neely
shouted.
“Let’s have dinner. Come on
and meet the other patients.”
“I want to sleep.” Neely
began to sob. She was trapped. She had never felt so trapped in her
life. She looked toward the window. No bars ... that was something.
Just a screen, and screens could be cut—but with what? She dashed
out of the room, ran into a large lounge. There were patients sitting
around, quietly watching television. She looked around wildly. What
would cut through a screen? She looked at the bookcase. It was
stacked with books, puzzles ... a chess set! She grabbed a pawn. It
had a small head ... if she poked it hard enough, it might cut
through the screen. She ran back to her room clutching the chess
piece.
The nurse was sitting on the
bed, calmly watching. Let her watch, Neely thought. I’m
stronger—let her try and stop me. She opened the window. The nurse
didn’t budge. She tried the chess piece on the screen, poking,
slashing, sobbing all the while. There must be a weak spot where it
could poke through and rip. There had to be . . .
“It’s a steel screen,” the
nurse said calmly. “And even if you broke out, you’d be on our
grounds. We have twenty-five acres here. And the main gate is
locked.”
Neely dropped the pawn. She sat
on the edge of the bed and sobbed. The nurse tried to calm her, but
her sobs grew more violent. She thought of Anne and Kevin. They were
back in New York, probably thinking she was blissfully asleep. She
thought of Anne’s apartment. Why hadn’t she stayed there? You
could walk around there, light a cigarette whenever you wanted, take
as many dolls as you wanted, have a drink ... she thought of
Hollywood. The Head ... who was he dictating to now? And Ted ... it
was earlier in California, maybe only three o’clock—and it was
warm and the sun was shining. Ted was probably at the pool with his
wife. And she, the great Neely O’Hara, she was locked in a fancy
fruit farm! She sobbed louder. She must have sobbed for an hour,
because when she finally looked up it was dark outside. The head
nurse appeared. She had a pin on her starched uniform that stated her
name was Miss Schmidt. A big bull dyke—that’s what she looked
like, Neely decided.
“Miss O’Hara, unless you get
hold of yourself, we’ll have to do something to calm you.”
Okay, so that was the answer.
She could get a few dolls or a needle. She’d show them! So
they never gave barbiturates here. Well, Neely O’Hara would change
that. She’d break their fucking rule! She began to scream.
In no time she had some action.
The husky nurse reappeared. “Come, Miss O’Hara, this has to stop.
You are upsetting the other patients.”
“Let them all go fuck
themselves!” Neely shrieked. Her screaming increased in volume.
Miss Schmidt gave a quick nod to
the two nurses. They took Neely’s arms and hauled her down the
hall. She fought, kicked, screamed—but she was outnumbered and
overpowered. She found herself in a large bathroom. Miss Schmidt and
the two nurses told her to undress.
“What! And give you dykes a
big thrill!” she shouted. Miss Schmidt nodded her head and the two
nurses forcibly undressed Neely. Naked, screeching, she was forced
into a bathtub. A huge canvas top was hooked over it, leaving just
her head exposed. A pillow was placed behind her head. A nurse sat at
a table nearby, poised with a notebook and pencil.
Neely continued to scream.
Actually the bath felt very good. She loved baths as a rule, loved to
lie in one until her skin became waterlogged. And this bath was
something special—water kept coming in and going out, bubbling all
around her. The sensation was relaxing. She sifted these thoughts as
she continued to scream.
Miss Schmidt returned and knelt
at her side. Her eyes were kind. “Miss O’Hara, why not try and
relax and let the bath do its work?”
“Get me out of here!” Neely
screamed.
“You will stay in this tub
until you stop yelling—or until you fall asleep.”
“Hah! There’s not enough
water in this whole goddam state to put me to sleep!” Neely took a
breath and shrieked into Miss Schmidt’s face.
“We’ve had patients in the
tub for as long as fifteen hours,” Miss Schmidt answered. She stood
up. “I’ll drop by in an hour. Maybe you’ll be more relaxed by
then.”
In an hour! Neely felt hoarse.
Her throat hurt. She wanted to lie back and relax, but that’s what
they expected, what they wanted. She was hungry ... she wanted a
cigarette, and some dolls. Oh, God, some dolls! She began to scream,
cursing Dr. Hall, the nurses, the hospital ... when she ran out of
oaths she broke into sobs. But she noticed the little nurse at the
table stopped writing when she sobbed. So that was it—write down
every word the patients says so the great Dr. Hall can read it. Relax
now, huh? Well, there would be no relaxation for anyone—not as long
as Neely O’Hara was here.
She began to scream again. She
used her most vicious language and noticed that the little nurse
turned scarlet when she recorded the obscenities. In some part of her
mind she felt sorry for the nurse. The girl was young—maybe
nineteen—and it wasn’t her fault ... she hadn’t made the rules.
But she kept screaming all the oaths she had ever learned. Meanwhile
she worked at the canvas with her knees, though they were getting
scraped. Suddenly she found a way of slipping her head under the
canvas. She dived down.
The little nurse sprang over and
pulled her head out, then leaped back and rang a bell. Others came,
and the neck opening was made smaller. Neely screamed louder ... the
nurse wrote faster.
While she had been under the
canvas she had spotted a small hole near the faucet. As she continued
to scream and the nurse continued to write, Neely worked at the hole
with her big toe. It grew larger—soon she could put half her foot
in it. She kept hurling violent oaths to keep the nurse busy writing.
Then, with a superhuman effort, she put her foot in the hole and
yanked her knee up to her chest. There was a loud rip and the canvas
split open. Neely leaped out of the tub. The nurse sounded the alarm.
A battery of nurses came charging in, led by Miss Schmidt. A new
canvas top was placed on the tub, but Neely did have the small
satisfaction of hearing one nurse whisper, ”No one has ever
torn a canvas!”
She must have been screaming
forever. There had been a change of nurses. This one was young too,
but Neely’s profanities didn’t make her bat an eye. Neely was
hoarse ... exhausted ... her back ached ... her knees hurt ... her
toe felt like it was broken from ripping the canvas—but she
continued to scream. The door opened. A doctor entered. He pulled up
a stool and sat near the tub.
“Good evening, I’m Dr.
Clements. I’m making the rounds tonight.”
She noticed the hour on his
large watch. Nine o’clock. She must have been in this tub almost
three hours.
“Can I help you?”
I’m not crazy, they are, she
thought. Here he is, sitting here, like maybe we’re passing the
time of day, me with my head sticking out of this frigging tub, and
he casually asks if he can help me.
“Is there anything I can do?”
She turned to him, and the tears
began to stream down her face. “What kind of a psychiatrist are
you?” she gasped. “Can you help me? God, every doctor in this
place knows why I’m here. You all know I was double-crossed. I was
promised a sleep cure, and because I want my rights I get dumped into
this tub!”
“A sleep cure?” His surprise
was real.
“Yeah, that’s why I came
here. For eight days. To sleep. That stinking Dr. Hall promised. Then
the moment my friends left, wham! Everything changed.”
He looked at the nurse. The
nurse shrugged. He looked back at Neely. “I just came on duty. I
know nothing about your case. I’m just making the rounds. I’ll
hand in my report tomorrow, and I’m sure everything will be
straightened out.”
“Just like that, huh?” She
didn’t scream. She had sensed a look of concern in the young
doctor’s eyes. Maybe she could reach him. “You’re supposed to
help me,” she begged. “Is this why you studied? Is this how you
help? Make a notation about me, then go home and sleep in your own
bed while I lay here waterlogged? If you were a real human being with
compassion, you’d give me a cigarette ... something to eat ... a
few Seconals ... not just make a note in your book and walk away.”
He left the room. She renewed
her efforts at screaming. Her throat was sore and she was tired. If
she could only stop ... the water was bubbling at an even
temperature. Maybe she could sleep at that—but then they’d win!
Everyone stays in the tub till they sleep. Not Neely O’Hara! If she
lost the first battle, she’d lose them all. She screamed louder. .
. .
An hour later the young doctor
returned. He was accompanied by Miss Schmidt. He opened his bag,
poured something into a glass and handed it to Miss Schmidt. “I
spoke to Dr. Hall at home. He agrees the main thing is to get her to
sleep. Tonight, at any rate.”
Miss Schmidt held the glass
against Neely’s lips. “Drink it.”
Neely turned her head away. “I
do nothing till I get out of here.”
“Drink it,” Miss Schmidt
said softly. “You’ll fall asleep right away and we’ll take you
out. I promise.”
Neely understood. They had said
she wouldn’t leave the tub until she fell asleep, but they were
giving her something to make her sleep. It was her victory. No
barbiturates, huh? Well, what the hell was that smoky-looking stuff,
an ice cream soda? She let Miss Schmidt pour the drink down her
throat. She drained the glass dry.
Jesus! Now this was a recipe!
She felt the effects instantly. It was marvelous! She stopped
yelling. The most incredible feeling had come over her. They were
taking off the canvas top ... someone was rubbing her body with a
Turkish towel ... she was helped into a nightgown ...
“We’re full at Hawthorn,”
Miss Schmidt said. “Miss O’Hara, can you understand? There is no
private room left. We have to put you in a dormitory.”
Neely waved her hand. A bed ...
sleep ... that’s all she wanted and she didn’t care where.
******
It was dark when she woke. Where
in hell was she? In a long room with a lot of beds. Oh Geez, the
funny farm! What time was it? She got out of bed. The nurse who sat
outside the door jumped up. “Yes, Miss O’Hara?”
“What time is it?”
“It’s four in the morning.”
“I’m hungry.” Some milk
and crackers were immediately produced on a pretty tray. They let her
sit on the bench in the hall. God forbid she should wake the other
kooks. She finished the milk—now could she have a cigarette? She
could not. They were polite, but she could not have a cigarette.
Well, what were they gonna do? She wasn’t sleepy; besides, someone
was snoring in the room. Miss Schmidt apologized. A private room
would open in a few days.
Neely returned to her bed. A few
days! She would leave as soon as it was daylight. They’d have to
let her put in a call to Anne.
She must have fallen asleep,
because the next thing she knew there was great activity. Everyone
was up. A nurse came in, a new one.
“Good morning, Miss O’Hara.
Get up and make your bed. The bathroom is down the hall.”
“Make my bed!” Neely
snapped. “Not at these prices, sister. I haven’t made my bed in
fifteen years, and I don’t aim to start now.”
“I’ll do it for you.” A
nice-looking girl with sandy hair rushed across the room. “My
name’s Carole.”
“Why should you make my bed?”
Neely asked as she watched the girl whip the sheets into order.
Carole smiled. “They’ll give
you a black mark if they find it unmade. This is your first day.
You’ll get with it.”
“What do I care about a black
mark?” Neely asked.
“Well, you don’t want to
stay in the Hawthorn Pavilion forever, do you? You want to move to
Fir next, then Elm, then Ash, then the out-patient clinic.”
“Sounds like school.”
“It is in a way. This is the
most disturbed ward. I was all the way up to Elm, but I ... acted up.
I’ve been at Hawthorn two months now. I hope to get transferred to
Fir soon.”
Neely followed Carole into a
large bathroom. There were about twenty women there, brushing their
teeth and chattering. They were all ages. Some were in their forties;
there was one lovely-looking woman about seventy; Carole was about
twenty-five. There were six or seven girls her own age, and several
who were even younger. They chattered like students in a school
dormitory. Neely was given a toothbrush, and an attendant came over
with a large box. “All right, girls, here’s your lipsticks.”
Neely couldn’t believe her eyes. In the box were twenty lipsticks
with names taped on. She saw her own; it had been taken from her bag
and taped neatly. She used the lipstick and then handed it back to
the attendant.
Then she was herded in line to
get her clothes. An attendant handed her a bra, pants, flat loafers,
skirt and blouse. To her amazement, they were her clothes, all name
taped. She hadn’t packed them. Anne must have sent them by
messenger during the night.
That
meant Anne knew she wasn’t taking the sleep cure!
Her fear made her numb. She
dressed slowly, trying to get some order out of her jumbled terror.
She followed Carole into the large recreation room. The sun flooded
through the windows, creating a false air of cheer. She looked at the
clock. God, it was only seven-thirty! How could she get through this
day?
Miss Schmidt had been replaced
by a day nurse, Miss Weston. She was built on the same lines as Miss
Schmidt, and the five or six young nurses leaped at her commands with
the same alacrity. Neely joined everyone for breakfast. The dining
room was bright and cheerful, with four women to a table and
scurrying waitresses. She had decided not to eat, but the first whiff
of the bacon and eggs reminded her she was hungry. She ate a large
breakfast and trudged back with the others to the recreation room.
They were obviously well-bred
kooks, she decided. She knew they recognized her, but they smiled at
her politely and warmly, without making her feel self-conscious. She
looked dreadful. The skirt needed a belt—there had been a belt, but
they had removed it. Her hair was in strings and her knees were
scraped, mementos of the night in the bathtub. She wished she felt
the warm camaraderie and good humor the other girls seemed to share.
They acted as if they liked the place!
Carole introduced her around.
Geez, everyone seemed so sane and normal. She sat down, wondering
what happened next. A nurse entered, and everyone surged around her.
She was holding a box, and she called out every name, even “Miss
O’Hara.” Neely went over. Geez, were they organized—even her
package of cigarettes was labeled. The nurse handed each girl two
cigarettes, and another nurse stood by to light them. Neely settled
back and puffed gratefully at the first cigarette she had had in over
twelve hours. The first draw made her dizzy, the second was
satisfying and the third cleared her head. Imagine going without a
cigarette since yesterday afternoon, she who smoked over two packs a
day. She got up slowly, stabilized by the cigarette, and walked over
to the desk where Miss Weston was sitting.
“I’d like to make a phone
call,” she said. “Where do I go?”
“Phone calls aren’t
allowed,” Miss Weston said pleasantly.
“Well, how do I reach my
friends?”
“You are allowed to write
letters.”
“Can I have a pen and some
paper?”
The nurse looked at her watch.
“I think it had better wait. The doctor is coming to see you in
five minutes.”
“Dr. Hall?”
“No, Dr. Feldman. This is just
a routine checkup.”
He was a medical doctor, not a
nutcracker. He took some blood from her finger and her arm and
checked her heart.
She asked a nurse to light her
second cigarette. An attractive, dark-haired girl came over. “Don’t
let the checkup bother you. They do that to make sure you’re
healthy. It would be embarrassing to have you die of cancer or
something while they were taking care of your brain.”
Neely looked at the girl. She
could be beautiful with proper makeup, she felt. Her bone structure
was good and her black eyes flashed. She must have had a good figure
once, though now she was quite heavy. Neely judged her to be about
thirty years old.
The girl sat down. She was
holding a square box. “I’m Mary Jane. Let me break you in—when
you get to gym, buy a box of writing paper. It costs a dollar.”
“But I have no money.”
Mary Jane smiled. “You charge
everything—it’s put on your bill. But you can use it as a kind of
pocketbook.” She opened her box. There was writing paper in it—and
a pack of cigarettes.
“Where did you get—” The
girl silenced her with a quick gesture. “On visiting days, you’re
allowed to sit with your visitors and chain smoke. Get whoever visits
you to bring a carton. Then you hide it, and in smoking periods you
can smoke a dozen.”
“But they light you up.
They’ll notice if you smoke more than two.”
“The nurses are wise. You can
always cadge a light from someone else’s cigarette. That’s
allowed. It’s just matches we loonies aren’t allowed to have. But
the nurses don’t care how many we smoke. They figure we have to
have some pleasure in life.”
Neely smiled. “You’re not a
loony, are you?” “No, I came here to get even with my husband,
only it backfired. He’s a bastard—loads of money—and he got
himself another girl. He wanted a divorce, so I pretended to go
ape—you know, have a nervous collapse. It was the biggest mistake
of my life.”
“Why?”
“All I did was take a few
pills—three pills—and leave a phony suicide note. The next thing
I know, I’m in Bellevue. Boy, you could really go crazy there. Real
nuts around you, screaming and carrying on. I guess then I actually
flipped from fright. I began to scream and wound up in a
straitjacket. So, since my husband could afford it, I came here.
Signed myself in. Then, when I wanted to leave, he had me committed.
I’ve been here five months. I was at Elm House officially, which
was pretty good. You can smoke there and wear belts, even use more
makeup. But when I learned he had committed me, I got hysterical,
threw a tantrum. So here I am at Hawthorn. And I warn you—play ball
with them. I didn’t. I threw tantrums every day, refused to eat,
refused to cooperate. I spent three weeks in the damn bathtub. You
have to play along. There’s only one way—their way. I’m being
an angel, and soon I’ll get moved to Fir. A while there, then Elm,
then Ash, then the out-patient cottage ... then out for good.”
Neely was suddenly cold with
fear. “But that sounds like months.”
“It’ll take about a year,”
Mary Jane said cheerfully.
“And don’t you mind?”
The girl shrugged. “Sure I
mind. I cared enough to scream and shout for a week. But you can’t
fight them. They show the record to your lawyer, or husband, or
whoever is responsible for you. It looks bad on paper—’Patient
had hysterics. Patient had to be restrained. Twelve hours in the
tub.’ Then they say to your lawyer, ’Now just sign her in for
another three months. Don’t you want a bright-eyed, healthy girl
returned to you and to society?’ Sure, for fifteen hundred a month
they can afford to take their time. So I’ve decided not to fight
it. I’ll sit it out. Besides, what have I got to lose? I’ve got
no place to go. Hank—that’s my husband—he’s with his girl.
But at least he can’t marry her. And it costs him fifteen hundred a
month for me.”
“But I only came here for
eight days—for a sleep cure.”
“A what?” Mary Jane looked
at her strangely.
Neely explained the sleep cure.
Mary Jane smiled. “They never give it here. They won’t even give
you an aspirin.”
“They gave me something last
night,” Neely said proudly.
Mary Jane laughed. “Boy, we
had to hand it to you. Did you really tear the canvas? Everyone heard
you did.”
Neely nodded. “And I’ll get
out of here, too.”
Mary Jane smiled. “Okay, I’m
all for it. Show me how it’s done. Look at Peggy—they’ve
brainwashed her husband.”
Peggy walked over. She was
twenty-five, blonde, attractive. “Telling her all our gruesome case
histories?” Peggy asked.
“Why are you here?” Neely
asked.
“Because I was nutty as a
fruitcake,” Peggy said cheerfully.
“No she wasn’t,” Mary Jane
said. “She lost two babies in a row, stillborn. Anyone would go
into a depression.”
Peggy managed a smile. “All I
know is I’d begin to cry if I saw a doll in a store window. When I
got here it was worse. I’ve had forty shock treatments. I’m just
beginning to feel human again.”
Neely’s throat swelled in
horror. Shock treatment! Mary Jane read her thoughts. “Don’t
worry. Even if they think you need it, they still have to get
permission. Whoever is your nearest of kin or is responsible for
you.”
Neely relaxed. “Anne would
never give permission.”
Mary Jane smiled. “Unless they
brainwash her, like they did Peggy’s husband. When Dr. Hall and Dr.
Archer start to work on them, the first thing you know they agree to
anything. Peggy’s husband arrived the first visiting day. She was
fine—just wanted to get out. He was so thrilled. He said he would
go right to the office and sign her out. Ha! That was it! He didn’t
come back for two weeks. And the following day Peggy started her
shock treatments.”
“But why?” Peggy sighed. “I
don’t blame Jim. At first I did, but now I can understand. They
showed him my chart. I was depressed, I didn’t sleep, I cried a
lot—all signs of a manic depressive. Who wouldn’t cry after
losing two babies and being stuck here? But they convinced Jim that
if I went home I’d crack up again, and maybe for good. Naturally
Jim wants a happy wife, so he signed the papers and committed me.”
Neely listened. Everyone had a
similar story. No one was nuts; in fact everyone seemed more normal
than the people she knew on the outside. She was in the middle of
listening to the seventh life story when the nurse called, “Come,
ladies!”
“Now what?” Neely asked.
“Gym,” Mary Jane explained.
They followed the nurse in a
double file. They went through corridors; doors were unlocked and
relocked; they finally entered a large gymnasium. There was a
badminton court, Ping-Pong tables—even a pool table. A group was
leaving when they entered. Mary Jane waved to a few girls.
“That’s the Fir group. They
use the gym from eight to eight-thirty. Those girls I waved to—they
were just promoted last week, from Hawthorn to Fir.”
Neely sat on the sidelines while
the others chose sides for badminton and Ping-Pong. She bought a box
of writing paper, but she refused to be fitted for gym shoes. She was
not staying long enough, she told them. The writing paper? Well, she
had to write to Anne. She must not get panicky. Mary Jane said if she
showed fear, they’d mark it against her.
They left the gymnasium at
nine-thirty as another group entered. They were led to another
building—occupational therapy. All the girls rushed to their
projects, and the teacher explained that she could do mosaic work, or
knit, or anything she wished. She wished to do nothing! She sat in a
corner. Oh, God, how did this happen? She looked out the window.
Patches of grass were beginning to get green. She saw a little rabbit
bound across the grounds. At least he could go where he chose. He was
free. The feeling of confinement was more than she could bear. She
stared at the teacher, who was patiently helping the girls. Sure—at
five the teacher was free to go, to do as she wished. She needed a
cigarette. She needed a doll! Oh, God, anything for a doll. She felt
the perspiration come to the back of her neck. Her hair was damp and
her back was aching, really hurting now. She was going to black out!
She moaned softly. The teacher came rushing over to her. “My back,”
she complained
“Did you hurt it in gym?”
The instructor was all attention.
“No, I have a history of a bad
back. It’s acting up now.”
The instructor immediately lost
interest. “You’ll have a session with your psychiatrist this
afternoon at two. You can tell him.”
So the day went. By two, when
she saw the doctor, she was ready to scream. He was a thin, red-faced
man named Dr. Seale. He wrote as she talked. She poured out her
wrath—the injustice of the double cross, the promised sleep cure,
the way she was being pushed around. She chain smoked cigarettes.
During sessions with psychiatrists patients were given all the
cigarettes they wished.
“My back really aches,” she
pleaded. “Please give me a few Seconals.”
He kept writing. Then he said,
“How long have you been taking Seconals?”
She lost her patience. “Oh,
come on—don’t make a federal case out of that. If everyone who
took them was in a loony bin, you’d have half of Hollywood and all
of Madison Avenue and Broadway in here.”
“Do you think it’s normal to
take sleeping pills in the middle of the day to ease pain?”
“No, I’d much prefer a shot
of Demerol,” she said. She was pleased at the angle his eyebrows
shot up. “Yes, Demerol.” She smiled. “In Spain I got it all the
time. Two or three times a day. And I functioned just fine. I even
made a picture. So you see, two lousy little Seconals are like
appetizers for me. Now come on, get me a few. If I can have two every
hour, I might be able to get with it around here.”
“Tell me about your mother,
Miss O’Hara.”
“Oh, shit! Don’t tell me
we’re gonna start with that Freudian jazz. Look, I went through all
that way back in California. It took me five years and twenty
thousand dollars to convince him I didn’t remember my mother. If
we’re gonna start back there, I’ll be an old woman before I get
outta here.”
“I’ll send for your records
from California,” he said.
“I won’t be here that long.
I’m writing to my friend tonight.”
“But you must stay at least
thirty days.”
“Thirty days!”
He explained the paper she had
signed. She shook her head. “What a racket. They think of
everything. When you’re coming here, who figures you need the
William Morris office to check the fine print!”
He stood up. “I’ll see you
tomorrow, same time.”
She shrugged. “Okay, so I got
a thirty-day hitch. I might as well enjoy it.” Then she said
suddenly, “I can leave in thirty days, can’t I?”
“We’ll see,” he said
vaguely.
“What do you mean, we’ll
see?”
“At the end of the period
we’ll evaluate our findings. If we think you’re fit—”
”We? What is this we crap? I’m
the one who’s here, and I’m the one to say I want to go. How can
anyone stop me?”
“Miss O’Hara, if you
insisted on leaving and we didn’t think you were fit, we would talk
to the people who are responsible for you—in this case, Miss
Welles. We’d ask her to commit you for three months—that is, if
you didn’t agree to sign yourself in.”
“Suppose Anne refused?”
“Then we could take means to
have you committed—present your case to an impartial board ...”
She was rigid with fright. “A
nice little racket you got here.”
“It’s no racket, Miss
O’Hara. We want to cure people. If we released someone before she
was cured and she took her life a few months later, or harmed someone
else ... well, it wouldn’t give us a good name. If you had an
operation in a medical hospital and you wanted to leave before the
incision had healed, the doctor would have a right to restrain you.
At Haven Manor, when we release a person, they are ready to take
their place in society.”
“Sure—in the old-age home.”
He smiled. “I think you have a
long, productive life ahead. A year or two here will not be wasted.”
“A year or two!” She began
to tremble. “No! Listen ... thirty days, okay—if I’m stuck. But
that’s all!”
He smiled again. “You take
your Rorschach test now. That will tell us more.”
Neely grabbed his arm. “Look,
Doc, I don’t know about tests—maybe my inkblots will show I’m
some kind of a nut—but I’m not like other people. That’s why
I’m a star. You can’t get to where I’ve gotten unless you are
different. Why, if you threw a butterfly net over Sardi’s and
Chasens and gave them Rorschach tests, you wouldn’t release any of
them for years. Don’t you see, it’s just our little kinks that
make us what we are.”
“I agree. And they’re fine
if they work for you. But when they turn and work toward
self-destruction, then we have to step in and change the course.”
“I’m not self-destructive.
Everything just went wrong. Look, when you have a studio treating you
like you were Jesus Christ for so many years, taking care of
everything, I guess it becomes a big mother image. They do
everything—get you plane tickets, write your speeches, take care of
the press ... they even fix traffic tickets. And you gradually fall
into a way of depending on them. You feel like you belong, like the
studio is protecting you. Then, when you’re thrown on your own,
it’s like a big rejection. It’s scary. I felt like I was just
Neely again.”
“Who is ’just Neely’?”
“Ethel Agnes O’Neill, who
had to do her own dirty work, wash her own underwear and make her own
breaks. Neely O’Hara had things done for her. She commanded
respect. It should work like that, if you’re a real talent, so that
all you have to do is concentrate on your work. That’s why I lost
my voice—I couldn’t do both.”
“But Ethel Agnes O’Neill
obviously did both at one time,” he said.
“Sure. At seventeen you can do
anything. You have nothing to lose. You start with nothing, so you
can attempt anything. I’m thirty-two now. I haven’t worked
recently, but I’m sort of a living legend. I can’t afford to risk
my reputation. That’s why I really froze on that picture in
Hollywood. It was a one-picture deal—no studio was behind me,
building me for the future and guarding me. They were using me,
hoping to make a quick buck on my name. I knew it was a lousy picture
and they knew it, too, but they figured it would make money. So I
lost my voice—I really lost it. Dr. Massinger explained that to me.
But the studio marks me as uncooperative and unreliable so they can
get off the hook.”
“But I thought you said the
studio was the mother image.”
She sighed. “That’s gone.
Television changed everything. Even The Head. He’s a frightened old
man who has to report every move to his stockholders. They’re
trying to dump him, I hear. Everything is changed.”
“Then you have to change with
it, grow up.”
“Maybe,” she agreed. “But
it doesn’t mean I have to run scared. I’m a star. I have to act
like one, no matter what happens.”
He led her to the door. “We’ll
talk tomorrow.”
“When can I see Anne?”
“In two weeks.”
Two weeks! Neely returned to the
main recreation room. She slipped six cigarettes into the
writing-paper box and returned the pack to the nurse. No matches, but
she’d figure a way.
There was a recreation period.
The girls wrote letters, played cards. Then there was a smoking
period, and everyone seemed to be chain smoking. Neely wrote a long,
outraged letter to Anne, telling her everything that had happened,
ending with a strong demand for instant release. She folded it into
the envelope and began to seal it. The nurse labeled “Miss Weston”
came by
“Don’t seal it,” she
warned. “Just write your doctor’s name on the corner where the
stamp should be. He’ll read it, and if he approves of it he’ll
mail it.”
Neely’s jaw dropped. “You
mean Dr. Seale gets to read everything I write?”
“It’s the rule here.”
“But that’s not right. A
person should have some privacy.”
“It’s done to protect the
patient,” Miss Weston said.
“Protect the patient! You mean
protect this creep joint!”
“No, Miss O’Hara. Very often
a patient is depressed and takes her hostility out on the one she
loves. Let’s say a woman is put here by her husband. She’s always
been a true and devoted wife, but while she’s here she gets
hallucinations and writes to her husband that she hates him, that
she’s been untrue to him—even mentions friends of his who were
her lovers. None of it is true, but how is the husband to know?
That’s why the doctor reads the letter before it goes out.”
Miss Weston smiled as Neely
fingered the letter. “Look, if you’ve written that you hate it
here, or even uncomplimentary remarks about Dr. Seale, don’t worry.
He’ll understand, and the letter will be posted. All he’s
interested in is protecting you—that’s why the rule was made.”
Neely handed over the letter. So
Dr. Seale would read that she thought he looked like an
eggplant—served him right, him and his rules! She put her head in
her hands. Jesus, she had to get out!
Mary Jane tapped her on the
shoulder. “Don’t sit that way. They’ll write that you’re in a
depressed state.”
Neely laughed aloud, bitterly.
“Don’t laugh that way,”
Mary Jane warned. “That’s hysteria. If you laugh, laugh normally.
And don’t stick by yourself. They’ll write that you’re
withdrawn, antisocial ...”
“Oh come on!” Neely
exclaimed. “This is too much.”
“It’s true. Why do you think
they keep six nurses for just twenty of us? We’re always under
C.O.—constant observation. Twice a week the head nurses meet with
the doctors and give reports on you. Everyone gives reports on
you—the occupational therapy instructor, the gym instructor ...
you’ve got two bad marks already—you sulked in gym and refused to
cooperate in O.T. Didn’t want to make one of the darling little
ceramic ashtrays. You’ve got to remember, Big Brother is
everywhere, always watching.”
When they returned to
occupational therapy later in the afternoon, Neely began making a
cigarette box. “I’ll point to it as my fifteen-hundred-dollar
cigarette box,” she said to herself. She worked feverishly with the
sandpaper, smoothing down the wooden surface. She hoped the teacher
was watching.
At five, everyone was taken to
the massage room—showers, massage, Swedish hose. It could really
have been quite nice, but she hated every second. She envied the
girls who acted as if they were away at summer camp, enjoying the
whole thing as a social event. Maybe for some of them this was escape
from dull lives, but it was no holiday for her. Her back was murder
and her hands were shaking. If she didn’t have a doll soon she’d
scream. Waves of nausea broke over her. She mustn’t get sick—it
would be a bad mark. She clenched her teeth, finally rushed to the
toilet and vomited secretly. She came back and took the Swedish hose.
Okay, she’d play ball ... until Anne came. Then she’d convince
Anne that she was fine. She had to get out in the thirty days. God, a
year in this joint with the badminton and arts and crafts and she’d
really be crazy!
At six o’clock they returned
to Hawthorn Pavilion. Everyone sat around. There were plenty of books
to read, and everyone offered her candy. No wonder they had all
gained weight. Mary Jane confided she had put on twenty pounds in
five weeks.
Suddenly Carole, the nice girl
who had made her bed, stood up and screamed. “You’ve insulted
me,” she shouted at the girl beside her.
The girl looked up in surprise.
“Carole, I was reading. I haven’t said a word.”
”You said I was a latent
homosexual,” Carole insisted. “I’ll kill you!”
She lunged at the girl. Two
nurses separated them instantly. Carole kicked and screamed and
fought the nurses, and hurled oaths as she was dragged out of the
room.
”Two days in the bathtub will
calm her down,” Mary Jane commented.
”Did the girl say anything?”
Neely asked.
Mary Jane shook her head.
“Carole’s a paranoic. An awfully nice girl. She can go for weeks
being absolutely divine, then out of the blue she imagines something.
I don’t think she’ll ever get well. She’s been here two years.”
Two years. You’d have to go
crazy by then. Neely’s terror was now absolute. Her back was
twitching with pain ... her throat burned ... but she had to hold on.
She had to! Was this really happening to her? Jesus, other stars did
crazy things, and you read about them going to sanitariums. It
sounded so nice, so easy, like they could come and go. Were they
trapped like this—had they gone through this terror? Or was she the
only one who had been railroaded? Look, Neely, she told herself.
You’ll make it. You started with nothing, and got to the top.
You’ll get out of here. Just hold on, girl.
Dinner was served at six-thirty.
Then they took showers, and afterward everybody sat around in pajamas
and robes. Some looked at television. Idly, she watched a movie,
recalling that she had once had a brief affair with the star. God,
all those lucky people in the outside world. If she ever got out
she’d act fine. No more fits, no more tantrums—just two dolls a
night. She needed a cigarette—she had smoked the cache she had
hoarded. Mary Jane slipped her a few more. Several girls told her
their life stories, and she tried to appear interested. No one was
crazy—everyone was here by mistake.
At ten o’clock everyone went
to bed. She lay in the dormitory, and soon she heard the regular
breathing of all the other girls. Who in hell could go to sleep at
this hour? And every half hour a nurse came in and flashed a light at
each bed. She kept her eyes closed and pretended to be asleep—they
might say she was disturbed if she didn’t sleep. She heard the
clock strike twelve, then one. She thought of all the luxuries
everyone took for granted, things she couldn’t have, like the
luxury of being able to turn on a bed light and read, of lighting a
cigarette. She wouldn’t even mind not having the dolls or the
booze—but just to lie here like this was ridiculous. Geez, if she
got through this night then she was really strong. Nothing could ever
kill her.
Two o’clock. She had to go to
the bathroom. Would they write it down as a neurotic act? Christ,
taking a leak was normal. She got up and walked down the hall. Two
nurses leaped to her side. “Anything wrong, Miss O’Hara?” No,
she just wanted to take a leak. She often took a leak during the
night.
She went to the community
bathroom while a nurse posted herself outside the door. Oh, God, not
even to take a leak in private ...
Anne
1961
Anne sat by the window and
smoked. It had been an awful visit. Neely pleading and sobbing,
begging to be released; Dr. Hall and Dr. Archer and Dr. Seale all
reading reports to her, arguing that Neely was definitely disturbed,
that she was having a “walking nervous breakdown” with suicidal
tendencies, that to take Neely out now would be signing her death
warrant. Before talking to the doctors she had promised Neely to get
her out immediately, but the reports spoke louder than Neely’s
tears.
How could she face those haunted
eyes and tell her she had to stay at least three months? She had
signed the commitment. Kevin had insisted. God, had she done the
right thing? The doctors said Neely should have been in a sanitarium
long ago, that there was no stigma about it today, that when Neely
got better, she could go on to bigger and better things. It would be
rough for Neely, but in the long run it would pay off. And it wasn’t
as if she were in some dreadful place—the hospital was beautiful.
For fifteen hundred a month it should be beautiful. But those
pleading eyes kept stabbing her conscience. It must be awful to be
locked up, no matter how plush the cell. She would visit Neely again
in two weeks. Perhaps she’d be more adjusted.
At the next visit, Anne found
Neely in good humor. She had been moved to Fir House. “I’m
promoted!” she shrieked when Anne came in. “I’ve graduated to
eyebrow pencil and I have a bureau. I get a package of cigarettes
every other day. Did you bring the carton? Good. I’ll stash them
away. We still have to be lit up, but the night nurse at Fir House is
a fan of mine. Last night she snuck me out of my room into her lounge
and let me watch an old movie of mine on the late show. We both
smoked like crazy.”
Neely had gained some weight,
but she looked well. Her back still hurt, she complained, and she
never slept. But she would sit it out for the three months. She
understood—they had brainwashed Anne. They did it to everyone. She
hated the place, but the girls were nice. Only she had found out they
were not as normal as they seemed. Mary Jane was an alcoholic, and
Pat Toomey—the society girl who claimed she was only there because
her husband was trying to get the children—had no children! She had
been in and out of institutions since she was sixteen. The night
nurse had told her.
“I’m as normal as apple pie
compared to these cats,” Neely exclaimed. “But on the surface,
they all seem fine.”
In May, Neely had a setback.
Through her friendship with the night nurse, who had consequently
been fired, she had stolen a bottle of Nembutals. They found the
half-empty bottle under her mattress. She had fought violently when
they tried to take them away—she’d screamed oaths and gone into a
frenzied rage that required a ten-hour siege in the bathtub. She was
put back in Hawthorn. When Anne visited her, she was sullen and
uncommunicative.
Anne continued to visit her
every week. She had signed for the new season with Gillian. Kevin had
sold the company, but he hung around the studio, and his silent
presence was worse than a shrieking protest.
Secretly, Kevin blamed
everything on Neely. He was secure in Anne’s devotion, he told
himself. Anne belonged to him, married or not. Look how long she had
stuck when he had been against marriage. He knew it was wrong to hang
around like this—the new owners were in full command and everything
was running well. But he had nothing to fill his time. An occasional
visit to his brokers, his daily shave, lunch with his lawyer ... but
this could not fill a day. So he found himself coming to the studio,
watching Anne tape the commercials. And each time he came, he
promised himself it would be the last.
He was telling himself this
again. It was a cold, rainy day, unseasonable for June. He sat
outside in the hall while Anne rehearsed in the studio. Well, in
three more weeks the show would go off for the summer. Anne had
promised they’d take a vacation together—but it would probably be
Dune Deck in the Hamptons, so she could still visit Neely each week.
Jerry Richardson, the director,
brought a stranger over. “Kevin, I’d like you to meet a friend of
mine, an old buddy. We were in the war together. Kevin Gillmore, Lyon
Burke.”
Kevin froze at the name. It had
to be the same one—it wasn’t a common name. He looked more like
an actor than a writer. A good build, too, and that tan ... Kevin
suddenly felt pasty and old. He was also suddenly aware of his own
thinning hair. Burke’s hair was coal black, heavy, just getting
gray at the temples. And the big grin the bastard had. Kevin smiled
nervously and shook hands with Lyon.
“You joining the outfit?” he
asked.
“No. Just got into town a few
days ago. Had lunch with Jerry, and he told me an old friend was
working here—Anne Welles. I dropped by to say hello.”
“I’ll see if she’s free,”
Kevin said quickly. “I discovered her . . . made her the Gillian
Girl. Come on, she’s in the studio.” He took Burke’s arm. He
had to be there, to see Anne’s reaction.
She was going through the final
dress rehearsal, so Kevin and Lyon sat in the audience. He knew she
couldn’t see them behind the strong lights and cautiously fastened
his attention on Lyon, watching his reactions. Lyon watched the
rehearsal with interest. “She’s really excellent at this,” he
said to Kevin, as if making a surprising discovery.
“She was great right from the
start,” Kevin said carefully.
“This is the first time I’ve
seen her. I’ve been in Europe.”
“They’re breaking now. Want
to come around and say hello?” Kevin made his voice casual.
“By all means!” He sprang up
and followed Kevin.
Anne was discussing some changes
with the producer when the two men approached. She saw Kevin and
smiled intimately, with a wink that said, “This will be finished in
a second.” At first her glance passed over Lyon—then it returned
in startled disbelief.
“Yes, it’s me,” he said
with a bright smile. He walked over and took both her hands.
She smiled weakly. She actually
felt her lips tremble. Lyon, more overpoweringly attractive than ever
... somehow she found her voice and said it was good to see him.
“Can we sit a bit?” he
asked. “It’s devilishly hot under these lights. Or must you
continue?”
“No, as a matter of fact I’m
through until taping time.”
“I have some things to attend
to at the office,” Kevin said. “Why don’t you both run off for
a while—you must have a lot of catching up to do.” He nodded and
walked away. Anne knew it was the most difficult move he had made in
his life.
The pain of his grandstand play
of pride and dignity was revealed in the stiffness of his shoulders.
Her heart went out to him. He was scared—but he was fighting for a
show of courage. She was also fighting as she led Lyon to her
dressing room. He’s back—just like that, she thought. And am I
supposed to forget fifteen years of silence and hold out my arms to
him? Yet that’s exactly what I want to do. I can hardly look at him
without wanting to reach out and touch him. But there’s Kevin now
... where would I have been without Kevin? And where was Lyon all
these years!
In her dressing room they sat
down. She let him light her cigarette and deliberately waited for him
to speak.
“Well, it looks as if you were
right,” he said.
“About what?”
“New York ... your real love.”
He waved his hand, taking in everything around her. “You liked it
here, and you’ve made it, Anne. I’m terribly proud of you.”
“You made it too, Lyon.”
“Not in dollars and cents, or
in high-styled success. But yes, you could say I made it, because I
am doing what I really wanted to do. And I believe you’re the same
girl who once told me that everyone owed himself that chance.”
“What are you doing in New
York?”
“We’re terribly fascinated
with your commercial television and the quick buildup of your
artists. One of our newspapers has assigned me to write a series
covering all the aspects of your television—the girls who make
millions with one hit record, the cowboy stars who wind up owning
factories—and the girls who become financial wizards selling nail
polish.”
She laughed. “Don’t you have
that over there?”
“Not yet. Oh, I suppose it’s
coming—we’re about ten years behind you—but at least I can
prepare the British Isles for the invasion that will come.” He
smiled. “It’s a far cry from the writing I set out to do, but
it’s a windfall. Pays well, and also gives me a chance to visit the
States.”
“How long will you be here?”
“About six weeks, I should
think.”
“Have you seen Henry?”
“We lunched yesterday. Henry’s
tired. He wants to sell the business. George Bellows is trying to
raise the money, and if not, the Johnson Harris office will buy him
out.” He lit a cigarette. “I saw George, too. He’s quite
prosperous looking. But I don’t envy him. It’s the same rat
race.”
“Nothing comes easy, Lyon.”
“No, not even this bit of
journalism I’m going to take a shot at. There’s research, and a
lot of bloody figures that must be checked and rechecked. I can’t
just write it off the top of my head. But I enjoy it.” He leaned
across and took her hands. “And what about you? No marriage—or
babies—Henry says you’re still single.”
She looked away and hoped the
heavy television makeup covered her self-conscious flush.
He held her hands firmly. “I’ve
come up zero too,” he said. “It’s my one regret. There is no
one like you, Anne—there never could be.” He paused. “I’d
like very much to see you while I’m here. I’ll understand if you
can’t—Henry says you and this Kevin Gillmore—”
“You can see me, Lyon,” she
said evenly.
“Marvelous! When shall it be?”
“Tomorrow night, if you like.”
“Great. Where can I reach
you?”
“Let me call you,” she said
quickly. “I’ll be on the outside on some appointments during the
day.”
He scribbled down his hotel and
number. She noticed he was staying just three blocks from her
apartment. She smiled and promised to call him at six.
“We’ll plan on dinner,” he
said easily. He stood up. “I’ll leave now—I’m sure you want a
chance to freshen up before you tackle this thing on camera. I’m
terribly proud of you. Till tomorrow, then ...”
For a long time she sat very
still. Lyon was back. Nothing had changed. But it had—she was no
longer twenty, and the years had brought changes. There was Kevin,
who had given her love, trust—and her career. Kevin needs me, she
thought, and in walks Lyon, just for a visit, and I act like an
idiot, ready to kick over the traces and forget all the years without
a word. Tomorrow I’ll call him and say I’m busy. Or maybe I won’t
even call. Let him wait, like I waited so long.
But she knew she would see him.
******
Kevin didn’t mention it until
they had finished dinner. Then he casually asked what Lyon was doing
in New York. She explained his assignment. Kevin listened intently as
he studied his brandy glass. Then he said, “Well, now that I’ve
seen him, I can understand. A girl of twenty would be attracted to a
man like Lyon. Of course he’s a bit too obvious—his looks and
that phony English charm—but I suppose a young, impressionable girl
would find him attractive.”
“Yes.” She sipped her drink.
“But part of Lyon’s charm is his unawareness of his looks—”
“Ha! Don’t kid yourself!”
Kevin said with a trace of irritation. “That bird knows his power.
He operates on those looks. There’s not a wasted movement. He also
knows how to make men like him. I’d have liked him, if he wasn’t
your Lyon Burke.”
She smiled and reached for a
cigarette.
“Anne.” His tone was urgent.
“Say something. I’m trying to play it cool, like they do in
movies, but for God’s sake, help me, give me something to grab
at—tell me he left you cold.”
“No, Kevin. I’d be lying if
I said that.”
“You’re not going to see him
again?”
“If you tell me not to, I
won’t.”
“But you want to?” He was
pleading for a denial.
She avoided his eyes. “It
might be wiser if I did. Wiser for both of us. I might find
everything I thought attractive about him kind of childish now. As
you say, his appearance hits one—hard—but I don’t know what
Lyon Burke is like now. Maybe I never knew ... maybe I dreamed him
into an image. Henry warned me about that. But if we want any chance
at happiness, you and I, then I have to find out.”
“You mean I could blow the
whole thing because this sonofabitch got some newspaper assignment?
If he hadn’t, you’d never have seen him again. You know that!”
“Of course I do. Kevin, I care
for you ... deeply. We have years together that can’t be dissolved.
But Lyon was something that ended on a high note. Maybe I’ll find
it ends with a flat one after all, but I’ve got to find out.”
“Don’t, Anne. Don’t see
him!” It was a harsh croak.
“Kevin ... please ...” She
looked around the restaurant uneasily.
“Anne.” He groped for her
hand, almost spilling a glass of water. “Anne, you’re my life. I
can’t live without you!”
“You won’t have to, Kevin.”
His eyes held hers. “Is that a
promise?”
She saw tears in his eyes.
“Promise,” she said miserably.
******
She couldn’t come to terms
with herself the following day. She reached for the phone a dozen
times to call Lyon and cancel the date. But she never finished
dialing. Maybe it would fall flat. Maybe she could just walk
away. That would solve everything. She had promised Kevin she
wouldn’t leave him, but she hadn’t promised not to see Lyon. She
had to see him.
They met at the Little Club at
seven. He was sitting at the bar when she came in, and he sprang to
his feet and led her to a table. “You’re just not the type to sit
at a bar,” he said. He looked at her intently after they had
ordered a drink. “Anne, you look marvelous. You haven’t changed a
bit. No, that’s not true. You are much more lovely.”
“You’ve held up fairly well
too,” she said wryly.
“I often wondered about you,”
he said. “Sometimes when I longed for you I’d console myself with
crazy fantasies. I’d tell myself you were fat, with six or seven
sniffly little brats clinging to your skirts. At least it got me back
to the typewriter.”
She laughed. “Oh, Lyon—and I
used to pretend you were bald.” It was easy after that. She told
him about Jennifer, carefully skirting the real truth. Somehow she
felt that Jennifer’s legend must be kept intact—that the body
beautiful should not be blemished by cancer. They discussed Neely.
Henry had told him about that, but he couldn’t believe it could
happen to the bright-eyed Neely he had known.
“She’s such an enormous
talent,” he said. “She’s frightfully popular in England. Her
pictures were quite wonderful for Hollywood products. In spite of all
the tinsel and sugar candy they surrounded her with, she still
emerged as a true artist. She will come out of it, won’t she?”
Anne’s eyes clouded. “They
say she’s bent for self-destruction, that her kind of illness is
never really cured. It may be arrested, and with help she might be
able to function again. But she’ll always have that
self-destructive urge. At least, that’s what the doctors say.”
He sighed. “Perhaps that’s
why I never made it big. Sometimes I think all great artists are a
little balmy. I’m much too normal. I fall asleep the minute I hit
the pillow, don’t drink to excess and never even take an aspirin.”
She laughed. “I guess I’m
second-rate too. Perhaps I smoke too much, but I’m still a
one-drink girl, and although I’d never admit it, I sometimes fall
asleep right in the middle of the late movie.”
He laughed back. “No, Anne,
you’re first-rate—there’s no one like you. There really isn’t,
you know. Every girl I met, it always washed out. They just couldn’t
stand up to your image.”
They talked through dinner about
New York and the changes he noticed. He introduced her to Irish
coffee and she became an instant devotee. She was still praising it
when he suddenly turned to her.
“It’s all the same, Anne. I
want to take you in my arms this moment. I feel as if we’ve never
parted.”
“I want to be in your arms,
Lyon.”
He grinned. “It’s a deal.
But I think it’s best if I paid the check and we got the hell out
of here!”
It was unbelievable. To be lying
beside him, watching the smoke curl into the light of the bed lamp
... there had been no hesitation, no bridges to cross; they had come
together in a fusion of love and desire. This was complete
fulfillment. When she held him in her arms she suddenly knew it was
important to love—more important than being loved. And she knew
this was a decision she had to make. Lyon loved her, in his own way.
Was it enough? Would she miss Kevin’s tender, unselfish devotion,
the one-sided way he lived for her? With Lyon she would have to be on
her toes every second. Was she up to the give and take of this kind
of love?
He reached out and stroked her
bare back. “It was wonderful, Anne. It always was.”
“For me too, Lyon—but only
with you.”
“Anne, there is Kevin
Gillmore,” he said quietly. He felt her stiffen and stroked her
head. “It’s common knowledge, darling. And everyone knows he
wants to marry you.” He paused. “You know I didn’t just happen
on the set yesterday, don’t you? I made it a point to look up Jerry
Richardson. I wanted to meet this Kevin Gillmore—and I wanted to
see you.”
She pulled away and sat up.
“What was I supposed to do? Sit around all these years and pray for
your return? Lyon ... not a letter, not a word ... nothing.”
“Hush.” He put his fingers
across her lips. “Of course I understand. I wanted to
write—oh, God, the letters I wrote and never mailed—but that
bloody pride of mine ... each book would do it, I’d tell myself.
Then I’d return the conquering hero and take my girl away from
whatever guy she was with. But I’m not the hero—and Kevin
Gillmore is not just a guy. He’s a good man, Anne, and from what I
hear he’s head over heels about you.”
She was silent.
“If I had any character, I
wouldn’t see you after tonight,” he said.
“Lyon!” There was fear in
her voice.
He laughed aloud. “I said if
I had any character. I’m afraid I never had very much. And
seeing you made whatever shred I had go up in smoke.” Then he said
very seriously, “I’ll be here, Anne, for the taking, any time you
want me. But that’s all it can be.”
“What does that mean?”
“I return to London after this
assignment. I have a new book in the works. The first draft is
written.”
“Couldn’t you write here?”
“Possibly. But I couldn’t
live, at least not as well. I have a nice flat, and I pick up extra
money doing articles. It’s a different life, Anne, but I like it.”
Then he added, “And I earn just enough to make it possible to spend
those bleak hours at the typewriter, writing what I want to write.
It’s a lonely existence, but there’s always the hope that perhaps
this is the book that will do it. I believe in my writing and
what I’m trying to do, and I have you to thank for this. I’ve
lost you because of it—but then, it probably couldn’t have worked
any other way ...”
“Why not?” she said
stubbornly. “If I hadn’t opened my big mouth that day in the
Barberry Room—if I hadn’t insisted that you write—you might
have been the biggest manager in town and we’d have children and—”
“And hate one another. No,
Anne, a marriage hasn’t a chance when you’re scrambling for
success. And it probably wouldn’t have worked if you had meekly
submitted to that wild idea about living in Lawrenceville, either.
I’m just cut out to be a loner, I guess. But I am so very glad to
have this chance to be with you again. I’ll cherish every second
you give me, and stretch out all the memories for those rainy British
nights when I’m home again.” He took her in his arms, and her
hurt evaporated in the incredible wonder of loving him.
******
It was dawn when she reached her
apartment. As she slipped the key into the door, she noticed the
sliver of light.
“How did you manage to tear
yourself away so soon? It’s not morning yet.” Kevin was sitting
in the living room, smoking.
She walked over and snatched the
cigarette from his mouth. “You haven’t smoked since your heart
attack. What are you trying to prove?”
He sneered. “Why the big
concern for my health? Seems to me that after tonight I have very
little future.”
“Kevin, why did you come
here?”
“Because I knew you were with
him. Tell me about it. Did he release all those inhibitions? Did you
both swing from chandeliers?”
“Stop it! It’s not good for
you to carry on like this. Come on—if you want to stay the night,
go to bed.”
“Would you go to bed with me
tonight?” He saw her stiffen. “If you did, you’d be a wet deck.
That’s the name for a girl like that. Well, would you?”
“Kevin ... we haven’t had
sex since your heart attack. It’s not that I’ve minded—I
understand about your health and ...”
“And my age—go on, say it.”
“Whatever happened tonight is
between Lyon and me. It has nothing to do with my feeling for you.”
“Am I supposed to take that?
Let Lyon play the stud, and I play the doddering faithful retainer?”
“You are my friend, part of my
life ... someone I love deeply. Lyon is something ... different.”
“Well, I won’t stand for it.
You’ll have to choose.”
“All right, Kevin,” she said
wearily. “If you force me ...”
He grabbed her. “No—no!
Anne, don’t leave me!” He began to sob. She wanted to pull away;
instead she stroked his head. It was so terrible to see a man fall
apart. Was she responsible, or was it his failing health and his age?
“Kevin, I won’t leave you.”
“But you’ll go on seeing
him. Do you think I can go on like that? Knowing you come to me from
his arms?”
“Kevin—” She groped for
the right words. “We both know I was with Lyon. But he’s going
back. And he knows about you. He even said you’re quite a guy.”
“That’s the English in him.
Don’t you know that? All the English are decadent. He’d probably
get a kick out of sharing you.”
She sighed patiently. This
wasn’t Kevin speaking. It was his hysterical fear. “Kevin, I’m
staying with you.”
“Why? Doesn’t he want you?”
She turned and went into the bedroom and began to undress. It was
unbelievable. History repeating itself. Kevin had suddenly looked
like Allen Cooper—the same cowlike expression and the same childish
rage. And once again it was Lyon who was sitting back, demanding
nothing and promising nothing, while she was being torn in two. How
much did she really owe Kevin? Her relationship with him had been far
from thrilling. Yet throughout the entire time she had never given
him cause for jealousy or concern. There had been many chances—many
men younger and more attractive than Kevin—but she had ignored
every advance. She had given him fourteen years of
happiness—shouldn’t that balance any obligation she owed him? Yet
Kevin needed her. He had sat there all night, smoking. She knew how
it was to sit and wait for someone. Suddenly she felt a great surge
of tenderness and pity for Kevin. Oh, God, he had looked so old, so
vulnerable. She couldn’t hurt him.
She returned to the living room.
He was sitting there, staring into space—crumpled, defeated.
She held out her arms. “Kevin,
I love you. Get undressed, it’s late. Get some sleep. I’m
here—I’ll always be here, as long as you want me.”
He stumbled toward her. “You
won’t see him again? You won’t?”
“No, Kevin. I won’t see him
ever again.”
For two weeks she fought against
calling him. She tried to blot him out of her thoughts. Although he
never called her, she knew he was there, waiting. But she called on
every bit of self-discipline she had ever known and managed to hold
out. There were nights when she was alone, obsessed with the need to
phone, to race down the three blocks to his hotel. She’d stand on
her terrace, breathing in the balmy night air and looking at the
stars. A night like this was made for love—to be with Lyon, not to
stand alone like this. And invariably there’d be a call from Kevin,
casually checking up on her. He had never done that before, but now
he had taken to calling at odd hours.
Often he’d leave her and say
pointedly, “Well, my girl, back to my bachelor quarters. Tonight
it’s going to be a warm bath and bed for your old man.” Three
hours later he would silently let himself into her apartment. “I
couldn’t sleep,” he’d say. “May I spend the night here?”
She’d smile and pity the relief that flooded his face at finding
her home, alone.
She was at “21” with Kevin
and one of the new owners of Gillian when Lyon walked in. It was the
end of June, one of those sticky, hot nights that suddenly arrive
with no warning. The temperature was in the nineties. She had taped
commercials all day, and she was tired. And bored. She looked up and
saw Lyon swing into the room. He was with what Kevin would call a
“dish,” and he didn’t see her as the captain led him to a
different section of the room. From her seat she could watch him
without being observed. The girl was about nineteen, with coal-black
hair that hung to her shoulders. Her tan was heavy, and it was
obvious that she had worked at it systematically. She had a pretty
face, and her sleazy white dress clung provocatively to her youthful
body, its tiny shoulder straps showing an expanse of decolletage. Her
hand, with its outrageously long silver fingernails, kept entwining
itself in Lyon’s. She hung onto his words. She tossed her hair. At
one point she said something and Lyon threw back his head and
laughed. Then he leaned over and planted a light kiss on the tip of
her nose. Anne felt physically ill. How many nights had he spent with
girls like this? All those nights she had lain awake, wanting him,
thinking of him, picturing him alone and thinking all she had to do
was call ...
It was the worst night she had
known in a long time. The depths of her unhappiness frightened her.
She had not felt anything so deeply since the old days with Lyon, but
now it was as if all her senses had suddenly been awakened—all the
emotions she had thought were part of her youth—they weren’t
dead, they had just been sleeping, waiting to be activated. She kept
her eyes riveted on Lyon and the girl, grateful Kevin was deep in
some discussion of stock options.
At last the endless evening was
over. As she left she shot a final glance at Lyon. He was giving his
undivided attention to a story the girl was telling.
She pleaded a headache, but
Kevin insisted on coming up. The moment they were in the apartment he
said, “I saw them too.”
“Who?”
“Your lover and the beautiful
girl. You sat there, eating your heart out, didn’t you?” His
voice was nasty. “Now maybe you know how I feel!”
“Kevin, I’m tired.”
“She could be your daughter,
Anne.”
“Come now, Kevin—I’m only
thirty-six.”
“Lots of girls have babies at
eighteen. Oh, she could be your daughter, all right. See, my pet,
your Lyon is still roaring. He can have his pick. In fact, did it
ever occur to you that maybe he just laid you for old times’ sake?
Out of pity, like you pity me. Well, cheer up—we’re a set, you
and I. Two discards. And in a way I’m beginning to pity you. You’re
probably still dreaming of that wonderful night of love. Well, it was
only a night he tossed to you out of sympathy and guilt.”
His anger grew as he noticed her
eyes darken with pain. “Sure, that’s all it was! Did he plead
with you to leave me, to marry him? You bet he didn’t! When he
marries it will be a dish. You’ve had it, my lady. Sure, you’re a
beautiful woman—in your late thirties. But he liked you when you
were twenty, and even then he walked out on you. And it was good old
Kevin who picked up the pieces. Kevin who made you rich and famous.”
He started for the door, then stopped. “You know, I could get a
girl of twenty if I wanted. Oh, don’t worry, I’ll stick with
you—but the shoe is on the other foot now. I call the shots from
now on. Tomorrow you hand in your notice. I’m not sitting around
next season while you work. And we’ll take that round-the-world
trip we planned—only I’m not sure there’s any point in getting
married first. I’ll have to think about that.”
She had been staring at him
while he spoke. When he finished, she said, “Kevin, you don’t
mean any of this. This isn’t you.”
“Yes, lady, I’ve finally
gotten my balls back. All along I’ve been so grateful for your
favors—until I saw you tonight. God, what jealousy does to a
person. You disintegrated before my eyes. You suddenly looked faded
and washed out beside that dish. The lines of anxiety in your face
... my goddess suddenly toppled. I saw a faded blonde gazing in open
envy at a stud she’d lost to a better filly.”
“Kevin, please leave. You
can’t mean these things.”
“Don’t play the grande
dame with me. That’s over. You’re a reject now! Want me to
prove it to you? He should be home by now—he couldn’t wait to get
that dish in the kip. Would you dare phone him now? Phone him and
tell him you want to see him. I’ll clock it. You’ll get the
fastest brush in town.”
She started into the bedroom. He
ran after her and spun her around. “I’m not through talking.
Don’t you walk out on me. Haven’t you been listening? That’s
all over, that grande dame act.”
“Kevin, you really hate me,
don’t you?”
“No, I feel sorry for you.
Like you have for me.”
“If you mean that, please
leave—for good, Kevin.”
“Oh no.” He smiled with
confidence. “Not until I see you really go down the drain.” He
picked up the phone. “Call him. I’m sure you’ve memorized his
number. If you don’t, I will. I’ll tell him you didn’t eat any
dinner, that you were sick with jealousy. Sure, I’ve memorized his
number too. We’ve both been thinking of him for two weeks, haven’t
we?” He picked up the phone and started to dial.
She pulled the phone away from
him. He shoved her and grabbed it back.
“Kevin!” He had actually
dialed and was asking the hotel operator for Lyon Burke.
“All right.” He handed her
the phone. “Talk to him. Go on—or I will.”
She took the phone. They were
ringing his room. She prayed he wasn’t there. This couldn’t be
happening. It was a nightmare. She heard the click ...
“Hello?” It was Lyon.
“Lyon?” Her voice faltered.
There was a pause. “Anne?”
“Go on,” Kevin hissed. “Tell
him you want to come over.”
She shot him a beseeching look,
and he made a motion to grab the phone. She pulled away. “Lyon ...
I’d ... like to come over.”
“When?”
“Now.” There was a fraction
of a pause. Then, in a bright voice, he said, “Give me ten minutes
to reorganize things a bit, then come directly.”
“Thank you, Lyon. I’ll be
there.” She hung up and looked at Kevin. His face was pasty.
“Sure,” he shouted. “I
should have known. It’ll be a three-way bit—you, Lyon and the
broad. I told you the English were decadent ... and you’ll go
along—because you have no choice!”
“Oh, Kevin,” she moaned.
“What have we done to each other?”
“I just found I’ve wasted a
lot of years of my life on a bum! A bum who’s been passing as a
lady.” He walked out, slamming the door.
For a moment she stood
motionless, as her anger gave way to mingled feelings of sorrow and
relief. Kevin had made the decision. God, what a terrible thing
jealousy was—it could transform a strong man like Kevin into an
emotional cripple. But she felt no animosity. She was suddenly
flooded with relief. She felt almost light-headed, as if a great
weight had been lifted. No matter how it turned out with Lyon, she
would never have to marry Kevin. That was finished ... she was free!
She freshened her makeup and
quickly walked the three blocks to Lyon’s hotel.
The door swung open. “I was
beginning to give up hope,” Lyon said.
Her eyes quickly swept the room.
“She left,” he said quietly.
She pretended not to understand.
“I saw you when you were
leaving ’21.’ My glorious little date squealed, ‘Oh, isn’t
that Anne Welles!’ She adores you on television.”
“Yes, I saw you, Lyon.”
“Good, at least it brought you
to me!” He crossed the room and mixed two drinks at a card table
that served as a makeshift bar. “You know, it’s a new kind of
show business today,” he said. “I confess I don’t understand
it. But mine is not to reason why. Connie Masters’ last two records
sold in the millions, and the British public adores her. So I have to
write about her thrilling life.”
“Who is Connie Masters?”
“The charmer I was with
tonight. Don’t tell me you’ve never heard of her?” Anne shook
her head and he smiled. “We’re the lost generation, you and I. We
both think of Dinah and Ella or Neely when someone mentions singers.
But Connie Masters is today’s sensation. She’s nineteen, and
every picture company is after her, but I can’t listen to one of
her records without a stiff drink.”
She smiled. “I know. Every day
I hear of people I never heard of before. I guess the teenagers
support them.”
“Well, I’ve done my bit for
the British press and the music lovers of the world. And your call
kept me from serving beyond the call of duty.”
“You mean you would have made
love to her?”
“Why not? It gets very lonely
sitting and waiting for your call that never comes. Oh, I understand
... I really do. But there she was, all curled up on that very chair
you are sitting on, telling me she just adores older men. What was I
to do? Turn her out into the hot night?”
Anne laughed. “Come on, Lyon,
you’re not that helpless.”
“No, but this new breed
catches one off guard—the young barracuda.” He crossed the room
and pulled her to her feet. “Now, you’re beautiful, glamorous and
dangerous, yet I feel safe with you.” He kissed her and held her
close. Their embrace was suddenly shattered by the ringing of the
phone.
She smiled. “The barracuda.”
He picked up the receiver. She
saw his eyes narrow. Then in a cold voice he said, “I suggest you
speak to the lady herself.” He turned to Anne and extended the
phone. In answer to her mute question, he said clearly, “Kevin
Gillmore.”
“I don’t want to talk to
him.” She backed away.
“I suggest you do,” he said,
and she was aware that during this exchange he had made no effort to
cover the phone. Kevin was listening.
She took the receiver gingerly,
as if it had a physical power of its own. “Kevin?”
“Anne! Anne, forgive me! I
just told Lyon Burke, something happened to me tonight. I went crazy.
Anne, tonight never happened. I didn’t mean a thing I said. Anne,
are you listening?”
“Kevin, it’s no good. It’s
over.”
“Anne, please ... come home. I
didn’t mean a word. You can go on working ... you can do anything
you want—” His voice broke. “I’ll marry you tomorrow—or
whenever you choose. I’ll just hang on. You call all the shots.
I’ll do anything. Please! It was just seeing you look so unhappy
because he was with that girl—you never looked at me that way—I
guess I went crazy. I wanted to hurt you like you hurt me.” He was
actually sobbing. “Please, Anne ... I know I’m old. If you want
to see Lyon Burke on the side, I’ll even let you do that—just
don’t tell me. You can do anything, just forgive me and don’t go
out of my life.” He began to choke.
“Kevin, is anything wrong?”
“No. I guess I walked too
fast. I’m at your apartment. I ran all the way. Anne, please ... to
Lyon you’re just another lay, but to me—you’re my whole life!”
“Kevin ... we’ll talk
tomorrow.”
“Anne, I won’t sleep. Not
tonight, with you there, knowing what you’re doing—” She heard
him gasp again. “Anne ... please. Tonight ... just come back
tonight. Let me sleep in the next bed. Just so I know you’re back.
From here in I won’t check on you. Just stay with me. Please Anne
... I can’t fight him—I’m not young or healthy. Please ...
please!”
“All right, Kevin.” The
phone was like lead in her hand.
“You’ll leave?” The hope
in his voice was even more heart-rending than his tears.
“Yes ... right away.” She
hung up and turned to Lyon.
“In the middle again?” His
back was to her as he freshened his drink.
“Lyon, what should I do?”
He shrugged. “I’d say it was
a matter of whom you wish to please. Yourself—or your conscience.
What are you searching for? Happiness—or peace of mind?”
“Aren’t they the same?”
“No. Peace of mind does not
always come with love. I’m sure you’ll have peace of mind with
Gillmore, and a good conscience. With me, you might have to battle
that conscience. But then, love is always a bit of a struggle, isn’t
it?”
“Are you saying you love me?”
she asked.
“Good God, must it be put in
neon lights to get through to you? Of course I love you!”
“But how could I know? You’ve
never called me during these two weeks, or tried to convince me.”
“I’m talking about love,”
he said hotly. “Not begging! Love shouldn’t make a beggar of one.
I wouldn’t want love if I had to beg for it, to barter or qualify
it. And I should despise it if anyone ever begged for my love. Love
is something that must be given—it can’t be bought with words or
pity, or even reason. I shall never beg you, Anne. I love you. You
must know that. I shall always love you—”
“Lyon, you know I love you. I
always have ... I always will ...”
“Then why are we standing here
batting the subject around? You’re here, and I want you here.” He
smiled but remained across the room.
“But you’re returning to
England ...”
“And Kevin is in America.”
He smiled. “I was talking about love—you are talking about
geography. It sounds very familiar, somehow.”
“But love means planning
together ... being together.”
“Love is an emotion. To you
it’s a contract with unbreakable riders and rules attached to it.”
He took her hands. “Anne, it’s too late for that. Yes, I will
return to London, I’ve made my way of life there. You have all
this. Perhaps you should go to Kevin. He fits in with your kind of
life. The best I could offer you is a few more weeks.”
“Maybe I’d like
London, Lyon. Did that ever occur to you?”
“Anne, I’m a writer—maybe
not the best, but I work at it. You’re not the eager
twenty-year-old girl who typed up my manuscripts. You’d be bored in
time, and you’d grow to hate it.”
She turned and ran out of the
room. She raced down the hall and rang for the elevator. Perhaps he’d
come after her. If he did—The elevator opened. She turned and
looked back at his closed, silent door, then stepped into the
elevator.
She walked slowly back to her
apartment building. When she got there, she deliberately walked past
the entrance. She had to think this out. Lyon loved her, but he was
offering her no future. Kevin needed her, and was offering her a
lifetime of devotion. Kevin put things into contracts, with all the
riders she wished—but what good was a contract that paid off in a
devotion she didn’t want? She was always forcing Lyon’s hand,
crowding him. So what if he didn’t ask her to come to London? She
could always follow him. London wasn’t the end of the world. But
that would be begging—Lyon would hate that. “Love has to be
given”—not pursued.
She returned to the entrance of
her building. Kevin was up there, and he needed her. How could she
hurt him for just a few weeks of happiness? But suddenly all the
wasted years with him came to mind—and all the years just like them
that would follow—after Lyon left ... but Lyon was here now—and
she had the chance to be with him. Yes, that was the solution. Don’t
crowd Lyon—take the few weeks he had to offer and let it end. Then
if Kevin still wanted her, all right—they’d be as he said, two
rejects. But meanwhile, there was Lyon. And she was going to be with
him—every second, every minute—as long as she could!
She turned and walked quickly.
Then she began to run. She never stopped running until she reached
Lyon’s hotel. The elevator ride was agony. He opened the door—he
threw his arms around her and held her close. She clung to him.
“Lyon, as long as you are here, I’m here. No questions, no
tomorrow—just every second that we can have together now is what
will count. I love you.”
He held her face in his hands,
looked into her eyes and said quietly, “We’ll make every moment
into an hour. I love you, Anne.”
******
She met with Kevin the following
day. He looked haggard. She tried to explain how she felt, that she
had to see Lyon. After he left, if Kevin still wanted her ... If not
... well, she would understand.
Kevin stared at her silently.
Then his face became splotched with color. He paced up and down her
living room. “Why, you’re as decadent as your English stud!”
His anger seemed to flood him with strength. He slammed out of her
apartment, shouting that he would make her pay for this humiliation.
This time Kevin did not call
back with tearful entreaties. In the days that followed he took
childish pains to appear everywhere with a variety of well-known
glamour girls. Kevin, who hated nightclubs, now sought the most
prominent ringside table and made a delayed entrance with the most
flamboyant-looking girl he could find. The moment a new starlet
arrived in town, her name was linked with Kevin’s. There was an
inside joke around that Kevin read Celebrity Service and
rushed to meet the planes to book a date with the newest arriving
celebrity.
His final and most desperate act
was his attempt to cancel Anne’s contract with Gillian. Since he
still sat on the board of directors, he insisted he had a right to
protect the image of the company he had created. He claimed Anne was
“over the hill,” that the Gillian Girl should be younger,
fresher, a new face.
His protests forced a board of
directors’ meeting. It was an unfortunate move for Kevin. He was
outvoted, and Anne received a new two-year contract with a
ten-thousand-dollar raise. And it was an exclusive television
contract—another victory for Anne, who had been fighting against
continuing with the strenuous schedule of newspaper and magazine
advertising.
Anne was aware of Kevin’s
actions, but she could never hate him. She felt nothing now but
pity—and a heavy sadness that it had to end this way. In the weeks
that followed, the excitement of her relationship with Lyon surpassed
any emotion she had ever experienced. Lyon enjoyed her casual fame,
the instant recognition by fans, but she played it down and
concentrated her attention on his work. How was the series coming?
She listened to his ideas on the way he hoped to present them. He
didn’t want to pan television in America, but he wanted to do the
articles in a tongue-in-cheek style. She read his copy and often
offered valuable suggestions.
Although they maintained
separate residences, Lyon spent every night at her apartment. One
night he said, “I shall pick you up at seven, but first I must go
to the closet for a change of clothes.” From then on they jokingly
referred to his hotel room as The Closet. But as the weeks passed,
she knew his assignment was drawing to an end. He hadn’t mentioned
leaving, but she knew the time was slowly running out. She felt the
desperation closing in on her—heavy and oppressive.
And then, one evening in July,
she was suddenly filled with new hope.
They were having dinner in a
garden restaurant in the Village. “This was a wonderful
suggestion,” Lyon said. He looked at the clear sky and smiled.
“This is what I miss about New York when I’m in London—the
marvelous weather. We could never be sure of an evening like
this—there is always the inevitable rain.”
“It’s the first nice thing
you’ve ever said about New York.” She kept her voice light.
“I love you so much I’m
beginning to see some of its finer points,” he said. “But how do
you feel about rain? We have a great deal of it in London, you know.”
It was happening! He didn’t
want to leave her. She had to be careful—she mustn’t force
anything. It had to be his idea. She studied the ash on her
cigarette. “I’ve never been to London.”
“Think about it.” And that
was all he said.
It was all she could think
about. She discussed it with Henry.
“It would never work,” Henry
insisted. “I’ve seen Lyon’s flat. I visited him last year. He
thinks it’s a palace, but there’s no central heating, Anne, and
only four tiny rooms—a walkup.”
“But I have all the money in
the world. We could have the best apartment—”
“Haven’t you had your
lesson?” Henry said sternly. “No one pays Lyon’s way—you’d
have to live on what he makes.”
“Then I will,” she said with
determination. “I’ll live wherever he wants—I can’t live
without him, Henry. I’d be happy with him anywhere—even
Lawrenceville.”
“What about your contract with
Gillian? If you broke it you could never work on TV again.”
“Henry, how much am I worth?”
“Over a million.”
“Then why should I work?”
“And what will you do in
London?”
“I’ll be with Lyon.”
“Look, Anne—you’re not a
kid about to plunge into a new life. Neither is Lyon. He’s set in
his little world over there. You’ll have no friends—he sits at
that typewriter all day—what will you do?”
“I don’t know—I only know
I can’t live without him.”
Henry was thoughtful for a
moment, then he said, “There’s only one solution. You’ve got to
keep him in New York.”
“But how? His assignment is
finished. And he likes London.”
“Stall for time. Each day that
he stays here, he gets more used to New York. Let me think. I’ll
call a few guys I know at Barter Publications—maybe we can get him
an assignment to write a few articles for their magazines. Only it
has to look like an accident.”
“What good would that do?”
“He’d stay on for a while,
and time will work for you.”
******
It was Neely who accidentally
came up with the idea. Anne had driven out for her bi-weekly visit,
and they were sitting on the well-kept grounds and talking. It was
uncomfortably warm, but Neely wanted to be outside. She was fat, but
she seemed undeniably well on the road to recovery. She was at Ash
House, only one step removed from the outpatient clinic.
“When I get there,” she said
happily, “I’ll be able to come to New York for weekends.”
“Neely, do you think that’s
wise?”
“Sure. It has to work that
way. Geez, you can’t be penned up like this for six months and then
suddenly be turned loose. They got to do it gradual. First you get to
the out-patient cottage. Then, after a month there, they let you go
into the local town one night to a movie or to the beauty parlor.
Then, if that goes all right, they try you with one weekend back in
New York. You have to come back here on Monday and they check you to
see if you’re disturbed. After a while, they let you go home for a
week. Then they let you go for good, but you still have to see a
headshrinker they assign you to every day. It’s the pressure that
hits you on the outside that you have to worry about.”
“You mean your work?” Anne
asked.
“No, I mean just pressure.
Here, there’s no such thing. If I sleep, I sleep. If I don’t—so
what? So I won’t make a gorgeous mosaic ashtray in O.T. and I might
be off in my badminton game. And I eat what I please. Geez, I weigh a
hundred and sixty, but who cares? And Anne—I sing. Christ, I sing
like a fucking canary.”
“Oh, Neely, I’m so glad. I
knew you would.”
“The darndest thing happened.
Once every month they have a dance. It’s a real camp. The male
kooks get all caked up, and we get all caked up, and we meet in the
gymnasium—under supervision, of course. I go because I have no
choice. If I refuse I get a bad mark. Well, they have a three-piece
band, and one night I got up and fooled around a little. It wasn’t
great, because the piano player is a schoolteacher from the village
who plays melody with both hands. But I sang, and suddenly a real
sick kook—a guy all gray, with a nutty look—shuffled over. He was
a chronic, and I’d never seen him before—the chronics rarely
come. They’re the incurables, the ones who are kept here for life
on a custodial basis. Boy, you have to be a rich kook for that—and
we have some. Cottage Eve is for the women incurables and Cottage
Adam for the men. Naturally, they’re separated from us by twelve
acres—in fact, we never see a male kook except at the dances. Well,
anyway, this real burnt-out looking male kook shuffled over. One
nurse rushed to get him, but Dr. Hall was there and motioned to let
him alone. Turned out he hadn’t talked in two years, and the doctor
wanted to see what he was up to. So anyway, he ambles over to me—I’m
singing one of Helen Lawson’s old numbers—and he just stands
there.
“I keep singing—I start
doing some of my old songs—and suddenly he begins singing with me,
in the greatest harmony you ever heard. It was so wonderful I wanted
to die. Anne, my spine tingled—this cat could really sing. And
there was something familiar about him. We sang together for an hour,
and everyone clapped like crazy—even Dr. Hall and Dr. Archer. And
when it was over, this kook touched my cheek with his hand and said,
’Neely, you always had it—we both did.’ Then he shuffled off. I
just stood there. Then Doc Hall came over to me and said, ’He’s
been here two years, deteriorating all the time. It’s been a
well-kept secret, but I see you know one another. Please don’t talk
about it. We call him Mr. Jones.’ Well, I had no idea who he was,
but I’ve gotten cagey in this creep joint, and I can outsmart Doc
Hall by now. So I played along. I said, ’What shall I call him? He
calls me Neely.’ And Doc Hall says, ‘Oh, you can call him Tony,
but stick with the Jones.’”
“Tony?” Anne didn’t
understand.
“Tony Polar!” Neely
exclaimed. He’s got some kind of a brain illness he was born with.
Lucky he and Jen never had a kid—it probably would have gone nuts
too.”
The abortion! Jennifer had
known! It was a secret she had never revealed. Tears came to Anne’s
eyes.
“Neely,” she said. “Jen
never told anyone, but she must have known. Please—don’t you tell
anyone.”
“Why? He’s not married to
Jen. She’s dead—remember?”
“But she died without ever
telling anyone. She wanted it to stay a secret. For her sake and his
... please.”
“Okay, who would care anyway?”
“Well, when you get out of
here it might make great gossip. But don’t. Tony just faded from
the scene. It’s been rumored that he’s in Europe, but no one
knows and by now they don’t care. Let’s keep it that way.”
“Sure,” Neely said
agreeably. “But it’s sure no secret about me. I got an offer to
do a two-part story for a magazine. They’ll pay me twenty thousand
for it. George Bellows is going to get someone to ghostwrite it for
me.”
“George Bellows? How did he
happen to get in touch with you?”
“Well, you’ve seen the
columns. They’ve been hinting that I’m fat and can’t sing, or
that I’m thin and can’t sing. So I wrote in that they were half
right—I’m fat and never sang better. Then I got Doc Hall to let
me make a tape here and I sent it to Henry Bellamy and asked him to
play it for the press. He musta turned it over to George, because the
next thing I knew George came to visit me. And he got me this offer.
He wants to handle me when I get out. He’s trying to raise the
money to buy Henry out, you know.”
“Lyon says the Johnson Harris
office is going to absorb Henry’s company.”
Neely shrugged. “If Georgie
can meet the price of Johnson Harris in a few weeks he’ll
buy the company. He might manage it, if he can con that alcoholic
wife of his into parting with some loot. She’s worth millions.”
Anne’s head was spinning.
“What alcoholic wife? George isn’t married.”
“George is a cozy one. He was
married from the very start—when we first met him. He’s been
married to this dame for twenty years. But he did it for the
business, he said. He thought she’d conk off in a few years. But
even though her liver is shot, she’s still on the scene and
controlling the money. I don’t know where he’ll get it—unless
he gives her a nudge over the hill in the next few weeks. And if I
know George, he’s not above it. I’ve always hated the bastard.”
“At least he got you this
offer.”
“Well, he’ll get his
commission. I told him I could use the twenty G’s. You’ve been
paying my freight here, and I have to pay you back. And I’ll need
some money when I get on the outside. But I still hope George doesn’t
wind up with Henry’s business. He gives me the creeps.”
The idea began to form when she
left Neely. As she drove home it became a certainty. Henry said she
needed time, and this would help. She brought the car to the garage
and put in a call to Henry. She had to see him for dinner, right
away, and they agreed to meet at a small restaurant on Fifty-third
Street.
“Why not?” Henry said, after
she told him. “Lyon would be a natural to write Neely’s story. He
knew her from the early days. And it would buy you another month, at
least.”
“But you’ve got to sell
George on the idea, and George has to present it to Lyon so that I
have nothing to do with it.”
Lyon was delighted with George’s
offer. But he refused to visit Neely. He wanted to remember her as
she was, as the fresh-faced child. He had to, he insisted, to write
it from that angle. He spoke to her on the phone and sent her copy to
approve, and Neely was ecstatic with the way the story was shaping
up. The writing went well, and Lyon was ready to do the final rewrite
by the end of September.
Early in October, Henry met Anne
at “21” after another hurried summons. Her eyes were sparkling as
she presented her newest proposition. He listened carefully, then
threw up his hands. “You’re a real Panzer division—but it won’t
work.”
“Why?”
“He doesn’t want to
own an agency. I know it. Lyon likes writing.”
“But Henry, you can try. Tell
him you don’t want the Johnson Harris office absorbing a business
you’ve put your life’s blood into. Please—try.”
“But Anne, even if I tell him
that I’m making the loan, he has to find out eventually.”
“I’ll worry about that when
the time comes. Henry, there isn’t a moment to lose.”
******
Lyon sipped his coffee
thoughtfully. “I’m flattered, Henry ... but I’m not your man.”
The waiter refilled Henry’s
coffee cup. He waited until the man moved away before he answered.
“Look, Lyon, I gave my life to this outfit. The Johnson Harris
office doesn’t deserve the roster of stars I’ve built up. George
Bellows doesn’t deserve going down the drain either. Oh, they’ll
take him on, make him a vice president. But they’ll kick him
upstairs to such an unimportant position he’ll be forced to quit. I
tell you I haven’t slept nights. That’s why I’m offering to
lend you the money to buy the agency with George.”
“But why me? Why not lend
George the money?”
“Why do you think George
hasn’t been able to raise it?” Henry asked.
“It’s a big bundle, I
suppose.”
“No. The word is out—George
can’t handle it alone. He’s a great businessman, but he’s not
good with people. Half the stars will leave. But if I appoint you—if
we do it right, with big publicity ... start with small column rumors
at first ... how I sent for you . . . then let it build ... listen,
enough people still remember how great you were.”
Lyon shook his head. “I
appreciate it, and I’m flattered. But I have to pass. I’m happy
in London. I don’t want the pressure of an agency. I hate the rat
race, and I enjoy writing.”
“And what about Anne?”
Lyon studied his cigarette.
“She’s the only consideration. Does she know about your offer?”
“No.” Henry hoped he sounded
convincing. “Because I think Anne would want you to make the
decision without pressure.”
“But it’s such a whopping
loan, Henry.”
“I don’t need the money. I
just want out. My last electrocardiogram convinced me. But I’d like
to see the agency continue. You can pay me back a little each year.
I’m not worried.”
“Would you feel very badly if
I refused?”
“Yes I would, Lyon. You walked
out on me once when I needed you. I need you now. I want you to carry
on the agency with George.”
1962
On January second, 1962, Bellamy
and Bellows officially became Bellamy, Bellows and Burke. George was
president, Lyon was vice president and Henry retired completely, but
Lyon was adamant about keeping his name in the firm. There was a
champagne party for the press and clients, and this turned into a
double celebration when Lyon announced that he and Anne were getting
married the following day.
When the party was in full
swing, Henry took her aside. No one noticed their little conference.
“He’ll have to find out the
truth next year,” Henry whispered.
“Why does he ever have to
know?”
“Anne, next year you’ll have
to file joint taxes. Then he’ll learn that you loaned him the money
to buy the business. After all, he’s paying interest on the loan,
and you’ll have to declare it.”
“But why couldn’t you lend
him the money then? And I’d lend it to you, and—”
“And we’d all wind up in
trouble with the Bureau of Internal Revenue. Anne, I don’t have the
kind of money sitting around that you have. I haven’t made two
thousand a week clear and been given large blocks of stock in
Gillian. And I didn’t have a guy like Henry Bellamy invest a
hundred G’s in A.T.&T. a long time ago and watch it double. If
I’m taking a capital gain I can’t invest my own money—oh, what
the hell, you wouldn’t understand. But I can’t use my own money
to buy my own business. By the way, I sold out all your Gillian. It’s
for the best—it’s gone up to triple what the company is worth and
is due for a big drop. I also had to unload half of your A.T.&T.
You’ll never starve, but you’ve got a lot riding on this
business. So it’s no little toy. Lyon and George better make
good—three quarters of your savings are in it.”
“Next year, when Lyon finds
out, how do you think he’ll take it?” she asked.
“Depends. If he’s happy, if
the business is going well and he’s back in the groove, he’ll
probably laugh it off. After all, how can a guy be angry because a
girl he loves tricked him into marrying her by secretly loaning him
money?”
“The only thing that worries
me is his gratitude to you,” she said. “He keeps saying he can’t
let you down and talking about how much you must believe in him to
make such an offer. He said he really didn’t want to take over the
company, but your belief in him made it impossible to turn you down.”
“Nuts. I notice he didn’t
waste much time in asking you to marry him. I’m sure that was the
deciding factor.”
“Maybe. Anyway, at least I’ve
got a year before the trouble starts. And as you say, there might be
no trouble. But I don’t care if there is. I can’t live without
him, Henry. I tried for fifteen years, and it wasn’t living. I’d
bribe, lie, cheat, anything—just so long as I have Lyon. That’s
all that counts. Just pray for me when the big secret comes out.”
“Listen, if I know you, you’ll
be pregnant by then, the business will be booming and Lyon will be
secretly delighted that you pulled some strings to make his dreams
come true.”
******
They were married in Henry’s
apartment the following day. Judge Hellman, a close friend of
Henry’s, officiated, and George and his wife were witnesses. Anne
and Lyon rushed off for a four-day honeymoon in Palm Beach. It was
agreed they would live in Anne’s apartment. Lyon and George were
each to draw seven hundred dollars a week and expenses; the profits
would remain in the company, with bonuses distributed at the end of
each fiscal year.
Within two months Lyon had
signed several of the top English stars. They had also taken away
some performers from other agencies. They took on some added
manpower. Lyon wanted to set up a California office, but George was
more cautious.
“Let’s evaluate it
carefully,” he said. “I’ll agree that we’re loaded with
clients. But the really big money comes in putting together
television packages. We have to get a few jumbos, sell them on TV and
tie up the package. We need a Carol Burnett, a Danny Thomas, a Judy
Garland ...”
“I agree,” Lyon said
quickly. “But we can’t get them. They’ve all got excellent
management. Besides, that’s the easy way. I think we should build
our own jumbos—that’s real management. Henry did that with Helen
Lawson. Now if we create a star, every other star will want to sign
with us.”
George looked over the list.
“There’s no one with us that has the potential.”
Lyon was thoughtful. “If Peter
Shay’s picture with Metro is as good as the shooting script, we’re
bound to get a three-picture deal after that. Perhaps we could build
him into—”
George shook his head. “He’s
a character comedian. We need a guy with romantic appeal, or a big
comic, or a woman. Besides, Peter will keep commuting between here
and England—you know the English. No insult,” George added
quickly. “But no matter how well they do here, they run back to
that wet little island with our loot.”
Lyon smiled. “That wet little
island is a swinging place. One can be quite happy over there.”
“Sure. Home is where the heart
is. But that doesn’t help us. Now, I have a germ of an idea.
Someone we could get, and if we built her into a star we could
really write our own ticket. Neely O’Hara.”
Lyon grimaced. “Nothing is
worth that. Besides, she’s still at Haven Manor. And let’s face
it, George, she’s washed up.”
“Someone like Neely is never
washed up. The public identifies with a loser. They feel they’ve
gone through all the tragedies with her. She destroyed herself at the
height of her talent. People talk about her as if she’s dead. They
think she can never make it again. That’s all to our good. Because
if we bring her back and put her on top, then we make it, because
we’ve accomplished the impossible. Then you watch how the stars
leave GAC, CMA, William Morris, Johnson Harris. They’ll figure if
we could do this for Neely O’Hara, think what we could do for them.
Stars are a funny breed—they’re long on talent and short on
gratitude.”
Lyon was not convinced. “But
with Neely, we’re not dealing with just a has-been, we’re dealing
with a girl who is emotionally sick, who could fly apart at any time.
Anne says she’s quite overweight—and she’s not exactly
eighteen.”
“She’s thirty-three, and
I’ll go along with everything you say. But—she’s also the
goddamdest talent around. I’ve got some tapes she made just last
week at a local recording place up there. She’s an out-patient now,
and she came to stay with my wife and me last weekend. She’s fat as
a pig—but she can sing!”
Lyon shrugged. “But it will
take a year to slim her down. and she might crack under the strain.
She did before.”
“She doesn’t get thin.
That’s the point. Let her stay fat. She sings—that’s all that
matters.”
“And what do we do with a fat
singer?”
“We book her in concerts. Do
you know the money in one-night concerts all over the country? Lena
Horne, Garland, Liberace—they all clean up. People will come to see
Neely if for nothing more than curiosity. In one year her concerts
alone will pay for our office. Our other clients will be gravy. And
if we keep her functioning for a year, the stars will come to us
begging.”
“If you want to give it a
whirl, go ahead,” Lyon said. “But it’s your baby. I’ll take
care of the office while you launch America’s new sweetheart.”
“It’s not that easy,”
George said slowly. “She’s not crazy about me. And my wife isn’t
a good influence on Neely.” He paused. “My wife has a drinking
problem. But Neely likes you, and she’s under heavy obligation to
Anne—”
“One second,” Lyon said
quickly. “Anne works hard. Neely O’Hara is the last thing we need
in our life.”
“All I’m asking is for you
to make the pitch to her to sign with us, then I’ll do the dirty
work. I’ll handle the publicity and set up the bookings. I’ll
travel with her. All you have to do is make the original offer. She’s
ready to leave the fruit farm any time now. We’ll get her a hotel
suite. She has no money, so the office will pay for it—in fact,
we’ll pay for everything, including her arrangements and
rehearsals. We’ll keep a maid with her night and day—I know just
the dame, a Danish masseuse who’s strong as an ox—and we’ll
keep books on every dime spent. When she starts to work we’ll
deduct it from each pay check until we get back every cent we put up.
If she flops on us—well, it’s a legitimate tax deduction.”
“It’s a pretty big gamble.”
“We’ve little to lose, and
the publicity would probably be worth the few thousand it will cost.
Besides, if she hits big she’ll be able to pay Anne back. You
realize your wife has been footing her bills. She owes Anne close to
twenty thousand dollars.”
Lyon shook his head. “I don’t
like it, but if you want to go through with it I’ll go along. With
the understanding that it’s your ball game. I’ll make the initial
offer, but from there on, you take over.”
George nodded. “Watch me. I’ll
send our little blimp all the way to the moon—and she’ll carry us
along.”
******
Anne let herself into the
apartment and switched on the air conditioner. She was sorry it was
the maid’s day off. It was hot and humid, a record-breaking heat
wave. She rushed to the bathroom and was violently ill. Then she put
a cold towel on her forehead. She smiled wryly. Everyone gets morning
sickness, she thought—I get evening sickness. She was positive she
was pregnant. Ten days late. Of course, she couldn’t be sure. She
had been two weeks late in February, and she and Lyon had
celebrated—then she had awakened with the familiar cramps. This
time she hadn’t told Lyon. And just yesterday this nausea had
begun, at five-thirty both days. Oh please, God, let it be true, she
prayed. Everything was so wonderful—and now a baby! It would be a
girl baby—a girl who looked just like Lyon.
She was frightened about her
happiness. No one had a right to be this happy. Her only tinge of
uneasiness was the thought of income-tax time, when Lyon would learn
the truth about the transaction. But the business was going well, and
she’d have the baby by then. Henry was sure he’d forgive the
deception. But there was never anything about Lyon one could take for
granted.
They had gone out together to
see Neely, and Lyon’s enigmatic smile had barely concealed his
shock when Neely waddled forth to greet them. She was distorted with
weight—her eyes had disappeared in the explosion of her cheeks, and
she had no neck—but she sparkled with the enthusiasm of the old
Neely. It was incongruous to see the childish eagerness break through
the mammoth mass of flesh.
Neely had signed immediately.
She’d wrinkled her nose when Lyon refused all credit and named
George as the genius of the operation. She didn’t like George, but
since Lyon was a full partner and Anne was her best friend, she had
been delighted to sign. Within one week she was set up in a small
midtown residential hotel with Christine, the enormous Danish
watchdog. Christine was not fat, just immense—she looked capable of
swimming the Channel. And she had vowed she would pummel Neely into
great shape.
“Neely doesn’t have to get
thin,” Anne had said quickly. “There must be no pressure about
Neely’s appearance. All she has to do is concentrate on singing.”
Christine had also been warned to watch for pills and alcohol—and
for two hundred dollars a week, Christine promised twenty-four-hour
service. So far she seemed to be keeping her promise.
Anne left the bathroom. She
switched on the light in the living room and poured herself a drink
of brandy, hoping it would steady her stomach. Neely was working
hard, rehearsing four hours a day, and George had already launched
the publicity buildup. Neely’s first concert was booked in Toronto,
which was far enough from the local critics so that no bad reviews
would reach New York. Neely would have a chance to break in her act.
She looked at the apartment
wistfully. It was beautiful, but if she was pregnant they’d have to
move. And she’d be let out of her contract with Gillian on the “act
of God” clause. She’d be glad to be free. It would give her time
to find a new apartment and furnish it. How would she do the nursery?
A surge of excitement made her almost dizzy. Oh, God, let it be true!
Two weeks later her hopes were
confirmed. At first Lyon took the news with mixed feelings. He was
delighted, but it would revolutionize their way of life. Anne would
have to stop working the end of June—the baby was due in the middle
of January, and her waistline had already thickened an inch. But once
she assured him how easily everything would run, his doubts vanished
and he joined in her enthusiasm.
In the middle of June they flew
to Toronto to hear Neely’s concert. Anne sat in the darkened
auditorium sick with fear. So much rested on this appearance. George
and Lyon were thinking of their investment, but she realized what a
setback it could be for Neely if the engagement was not a success.
Neely had seemed relaxed and
calm backstage. She laughed and said she had nothing at stake,
nothing to lose—she could always go back to the funny farm and make
ashtrays. George was knuckle-snapping with nerves, and Lyon’s eyes
were narrowed with anxiety.
The lights went down and a full
orchestra broke into Neely’s theme, a hit song from one of her
pictures. The heavy curtain parted and Neely came out on the bare
stage. She was in a plain, black, street-length dress. Her legs were
still good, and the black dress partially concealed her vast bulk.
But there was an audible gasp from the audience, who had
unconsciously envisioned her in the image of her early movie days.
Neely heard it and grinned.
“I’m real fat,” she said
heartily. “But so are a lot of opera singers. Only with me, you’re
not gonna get opera. I’m just here to sing my heart out for you—and
my heart is big and fat too, so if you like, I’ll do a lot of
singing.”
The applause was deafening.
Neely was home before she began. Her voice was clear, true and
haunting. A mass hypnotism took hold of the audience. They went into
a frenzy welcoming Neely back into their hearts. Anne had never heard
such an ovation. It was the same in Montreal. She broke all house
records. In Detroit she was sold out weeks before she arrived. By
then the New York newspapers were filled with accounts of her
comeback, but George wisely kept her on the road. He traveled with
her until September, while Lyon handled the office in New York.
Anne had obtained her release
from Gillian, and she used her new freedom to furnish the large
apartment she had found. Her pregnancy was obvious now, but each
fluttering movement of the life within her added to her happiness.
Gillian had wanted to give her a leave of absence, but she had
insisted her resignation be permanent. And even though her mind was
on the future, she felt a small thrill of satisfaction when they
decided on the policy of using different girls every week. It had
been impossible to replace her.
At last George felt Neely was
ready for New York. The opening was set for November. They took over
a legitimate theatre and booked her on a two-a-day policy, a
one-woman concert on Broadway. A week before she opened, her entire
three-week engagement was sold out.
Neely’s New York opening was
traumatic in its sentimental excitement and success. The audience
cheered in damp-eyed hysteria, welcoming back their wayward child.
And Anne noticed that some of Neely’s features were once again
beginning to emerge from her face. She was still fat, but no longer
grotesque—Christine had pummeled off thirty pounds. Her neck was
once more in evidence, though she still had two chins. But after one
song, the magic of Neely’s voice made everybody forget everything
else.
The trouble began the second
week of the New York engagement. George and Lyon were trying to sort
out the most lucrative offers. There were television guest shots, a
picture offer and proposals for several Broadway shows, but Lyon
insisted they stick with the concerts.
“Another year at least,” he
argued. “Maybe we can take off twenty more pounds. We’ll never
get her sylphlike again—we can’t chance her dieting—but the
rigors of performing, plus Christine, can accomplish wonders. Then we
can discuss pictures and television.”
“We have to take a picture or
a Broadway show,” George said doggedly. “She refuses to travel
any more.”
“But I just booked Los
Angeles, San Francisco and the Palladium in London,” Lyon said.
George shrugged. “We had a big
hassle last night. She’s on top, so let’s face it—she’s a
shit-heel again. The old star sickness is beginning to appear. No
more gratitude, just power. She told me she wants to stay in one
place. Which I suspect really means our girl wants to get laid.”
“Good God, who would want
her?” Lyon asked.
George laughed. “Listen,
that’s been my headache all these months. We forget, our blimp is
still a human being. Maybe they fed her saltpeter on the funny farm,
but she’s raring to go now. For a while we had a sax player who
must have dug distortion. He kept her happy until he left the band.
Left? I think he ran for his life. She found a few one-night stands,
but now she’s had it. She told me she wants an apartment and a
steady guy, one who’ll always be around when she wants him. I have
a hunch the Johnson Harris office is behind this. They’ve probably
sent one of their Steve Stunnings in the black suits and tight pants
to kiss her hand and make with the compliments. I think she’s
looking for an out with us.”
Lyon smiled. “Let her go. If
the Johnson Harris office wants to buy out her contract, let’s take
it—for half a million.”
“I thought of that,” George
said, “but we can’t throw away the bait when the fish are
nibbling. I have a lunch date with Paul Elsom tomorrow.”
Lyon whistled. “That would
really start the ball going.”
George nodded. “His last two
pictures have outgrossed everything around. If we get him, we get
half the stars in Hollywood. With MCA unloading talent management,
the field is wide open. All their stars have made short-term
agreements everywhere. I’ve put out feelers, but Neely is our bait.
We’ve got to keep her.”
“Well, go in there and pitch,”
Lyon urged.
“I’ve pitched. Look, Lyon,
let’s face it, she’s never liked me. That’s for openers. She
had no choice in the beginning. Now she’s hot, so now she can
afford not to like me. She called me a greasy pig last night. Imagine
that cow calling me a pig. No, Lyon—it’s your turn now.”
******
Lyon sat in Neely’s dressing
room. The matinee was almost over. He stared at the telegrams pasted
around the mirror. Every great star in the business had sent
congratulations and good wishes. He heard the stupendous applause,
the orchestra playing the curtain-call music. He tensed himself for
battle.
Neely was happily surprised when
she found him in the dressing room. “Thank God that pig partner of
yours stayed away. We had a whopper of a fight last night.” She
accepted a large glass of beer from Christine and gulped it down.
“Whew! That tasted just great. Want some, Lyon?”
“No thanks. How about dinner?”
he asked.
“Great. Anne joining us?”
“No, just the two of us.”
She laughed merrily. “Georgie
sent in the first team, huh? Well, I’m still not gonna travel any
more. But I’ll have dinner with you. Where can we get decent
escargots?”
“Let’s go over to Louise’s.
Louise can make anything.”
“Great. Can I dunk there? I
want gobs of garlic butter and I want black toast and I want to sop
it up. That’s the nice part of doing a one-woman show—I have no
leading man who will cringe at the smell.” Then she added sadly,
“And I have no guy to worry about after the show, either.”
“That will come soon enough,”
Lyon said. “You’ve got New York at your feet.”
“That’s just it. But I’ve
got no one in my arms. I want a guy. And I’m gonna be choosy from
now on. I’m not exactly a size ten, but I’m not a freak. And it’s
not just getting laid—I want someone who cares about me, someone I
can respect ... someone to love.”
“Let’s talk about it over
the escargots,” he suggested. Neely ordered two dozen escargots.
Lyon toyed with six and listened to her complaints. He had to admit
she had an honest gripe—she had no life other than performing.
“Neely.” He reached out and
took her hands. “I can see your side of it. Just do Hollywood,
Frisco and London. Then we’ll settle you here, and perhaps take a
picture or a Broadway show. I’ll hustle around. If we find the
right vehicle we could open in the fall. A Broadway musical would be
a perfect move.”
“Who’d go to California and
London with me?” she asked.
“George, naturally.”
“Forget it,” she said with
determination.
“Now look, you and George have
had words, but he’s not a bad sort. Neely, your entire success was
his idea.”
“There’d have been no
success if I hadn’t had the talent,” she said sullenly.
“Naturally, but George had the
vision to see it, to believe in you.”
“And you didn’t?”
“To be honest, no. I was
doubtful.”
“You thought I didn’t have
it any more?”
“I didn’t think of the
talent part. I thought of the grind. To me, your comeback brought
visions of dieting, strain and nerves. It was George who insisted the
public would accept you as you were. And he was right.”
Neely dropped the piece of bread
she had been about to sop in the butter sauce. She pushed the plate
away. “You talk about me as if I’m a freak.”
“Come now, Neely, you know
what I mean. I think you’re marvelous—a great talent and a
delightful personality.”
“But a fat slob, huh?”
“No, but not quite reed thin.
Not like you were in pictures.”
“I guess no man could really
fall for me looking like this,” she said. “I know the twins
stared at me when they came to Detroit. God, they’re handsome kids.
I’m glad they live with Ted. It almost killed me when he got
custody while I was in the funny farm, but I guess he’s
straightened out pretty good. His marriage seems to be working. I
still think he’s a switch hitter, but the boys don’t know. I’ll
never forget their faces when they saw me, though. Bud—he’s the
taller one—he said, ’Gee, Mom, we saw one of your pictures on the
Late Show, but you sure look different now.’ “
“You don’t need to be thin,”
Lyon insisted.
“I could be thin if I had a
reason to be,” she said sadly. “I can’t get thin under pressure
from a studio—but I can for love. Like when the studio yelled at me
to stay thin, I became a sneak eater. But when I first met Ted and
fell for him and he said to drop fifteen pounds, I did, just like
that. Because I wanted to, to please him. That’s why I want to stay
here, Lyon. I want to fall in love, to find a guy. I hate what I see
in the mirror.”
“Neely, your voice and
personality are what make you, not a waistline,” Lyon insisted.
She shook her head. “I love
pretty clothes. I don’t want to keep wearing a plain black dress on
the stage. But I have to, this way. It kind of hides things. But I
have no incentive to get thin. I have to find a guy—then I’ll get
thin and love myself.”
“Do Hollywood, San Francisco
and London,” he urged. “The rest will come.”
She was thoughtful for a moment.
Then she said, “Okay ... if you come along instead of George.”
“Neely, how can I?”
“Look, I can’t stand George.
If I have to look at that moon face of his day in and day out, I’ll
vomit. He can’t even play gin rummy. Do you play gin?”
“Like Nick the Greek. But
Neely, I can’t leave. Anne is terribly pregnant. The baby is due in
six weeks.”
“Oh ... I forgot.” Suddenly
she brightened. “Postpone my dates. Book ’em after the baby is
born. I could stand a little rest anyway.”
“I couldn’t leave Anne then.
Not with a new baby.”
“Anne could come with us.
Listen, I had twins. I know. A good nurse is all they need the first
few months. They don’t even see until they’re three months old.”
“Let me think about it,” he
said.
******
It was easy to put off the
Palladium. Lyon switched the booking to the middle of February. But
the Los Angeles and San Francisco dates were impossible to change.
Neely had to open there over Christmas and New Year’s. Lyon
feverishly tried to keep the problem from Anne, but Neely told her.
She had dropped by to see the
new apartment. Everything was finally in place. Anne, looking
ungainly in her pregnancy, showed Neely every room with pride,
especially the nursery.
They settled in the den. Anne
sipped some sherry and Neely had a beer. A light snow had begun to
fall, and Anne started the fireplace going. “Our first fire in the
fireplace,” she said. “Make a wish, Neely.”
“Why?”
“You always make a wish on
something you do for the first time.”
“Then I wish you’d have your
baby tonight,” Neely said.
“Why? I’m not due for at
least a month.”
“I know, but I won’t go to
Los Angeles unless Lyon goes, and he won’t leave until the baby is
born and you can come.”
Anne knew there was trouble
between Neely and George, but this was the first she had heard of the
change in bookings. She listened while Neely explained.
“But I wouldn’t go to
London, even in February. I couldn’t leave my baby,” she said.
“Sure you can,” Neely
argued. “It won’t even be human by then.”
“It’s human to me now,”
Anne said hotly. “Every time it moves inside me I mentally blow it
a kiss.”
“They’re just blobs the
first few months, Anne. Honest. All that crap about them smiling at
you—that’s just gas. The doctor told me. They just see light and
blurs. They don’t recognize you or focus until they’re about
three months old. A good nurse can handle a new baby better than you
can.”
“I’ve waited too long for
this baby, Neely. And it’s been worth the wait, just to realize I
have something of Lyon inside me that we’ve created out of love.
I’ll never leave our baby.”
“Suppose Lyon has to travel?
After all, he can’t stay put in New York forever.”
“Then we’ll travel together,
the three of us.”
“Well, I won’t go to
California without him.”
“Neely, please ... I can’t
be without Lyon on Christmas. And it’s too risky for me to travel.”
“What about me?” Neely
asked. “Does everything have to be for you? You’ve got
everything. You’ve always had everything. You wind up with money,
the man you love and now a baby. I’ve got nothing—just work. I’ve
made it again, but that’s all I’ve got. And I’m working to pay
you back.”
“Neely, I’ve never asked you
for the money,” Anne protested.
“I know, but I told George and
Lyon I wanted to pay you back. After the California date, you’ll be
paid in full. Meanwhile, I’m making money for your husband’s
office, and you’re getting the benefits of that too.” She looked
around the apartment. “I live in a lousy hotel suite with that bull
dyke Christine, who acts like my keeper. I’m alone, and all I’m
asking is for Lyon to go to Los Angeles with me for ten lousy days. I
can’t face Hollywood alone. It’ll be my first time back. Maybe
you think it’s easy to step out there and know they’re all
staring and whispering, ’Look how fat she is.’ And then having to
grin and win them over. Sure my talent gets ’em—but I have that
first awful minute to face, when they’re gasping. I need someone to
give me a pep talk before each show. I need it, Anne. If I didn’t
have a friendly face I’d take a Dexie—or a drink. A real drink,
not beer. And that would be it. They told me at the funny farm that
the minute I start with pills or booze, good-by Charlie!”
“If Lyon wants to go it’s
all right,” Anne said.
“You put it that way and you
know damn well he won’t,” Neely snapped.
“No, Neely, I mean it. It will
be all right with me.”
“It has to be more than all
right or he won’t go. You’ve got to make him go. Otherwise, I
just won’t play the date. I can always get laryngitis.”
Lyon refused to leave Anne. And
he deeply resented Neely’s blackmail tactics. “No fat little pig
is going to run our lives,” he said angrily. “She may be
important to the office, but not quite that important.”
“But you’re on the verge of
getting several big stars,” Anne argued. George told me things are
really popping. But they’d fall through if Neely left the
office—and she could. She could break her contract by saying you
refused her personal representation when she most needed it.”
“Then she’s free to leave.
If George and I have to pin our entire future on this bag of blubber
then we really haven’t much faith in ourselves. I don’t know
about George, but I’m getting damn tired of hearing how we need
Neely to get the others. Maybe he doesn’t believe he has anything
to offer a client, but Henry Bellamy believed in me enough to offer
me the loan. Henry Bellamy would never have let a Neely O’Hara
dictate his life.”
“Helen Lawson did her share,”
Anne reminded him.
“He was in love with Helen.
That made the difference. We resurrected Neely. That should be enough
for the trade. And Henry’s belief in me is enough for me to chance
letting Neely go. I’ll not be dependent on anyone.”
The following day Lyon came home
earlier than usual. His eyes were cold with anger. He took off his
coat and stared at Anne peculiarly. She pulled her bulky frame out of
the club chair and started to mix a drink. She sensed some crisis ...
something must have gone wrong at the office. He took the drink
silently.
“Was George difficult?” she
asked.
He sat down and took a long
swallow. Then he looked at her intently. “Tell me, Anne, do you
think I should go to California with Neely?”
She hesitated. It suddenly
seemed to be a loaded question. She didn’t like the way he was
looking at her. “I don’t expect the baby until the middle of
January. Of course, I don’t want to be without you on Christmas,
but I’m trying to be objective ...”
“Tell me what to do, Anne,”
he said in that same strange tone.
“It’s for you to decide,”
she answered. “I’ll understand, whatever the decision is.”
“No, you decide. You’ve
decided everything else. Tell me, what will our baby weigh? I know it
will be a girl, because you decided that. Is there anything you don’t
control?”
“Lyon, what are you talking
about?”
“You! And the Bellamy, Bellows
and Burke Agency. God, I must be the laughingstock of this town. I
was bought by Anne Welles. I suppose everyone knows but me. I just
found out—Neely told me.”
“Neely? How could she know?”
Anne was frightened. She had never seen this look on Lyon’s face.
“I know, it was supposed to be
a secret. Henry explained. But it would have come out soon anyway.
All those weekly checks I’ve been sending Henry have been endorsed
by Henry and sent to you. They’d show up in the tax returns.”
“But how did Neely find out?”
“Henry told her. It seems she
went to him and told him how things were, hoping he’d convince you
to let me travel with her. And that’s when Henry gave it away. He
said he was sure you’d want me to do whatever was best for the
business, since it was your money at stake. Neely couldn’t wait to
rush to the office to tell me. Of course, George put on the proper
act, pretended he was surprised. But everyone has known all along,
haven’t they?”
“Lyon, no one has known. Henry
shouldn’t have told Neely. I was going to tell you when the time
came. I only did it because I loved you, to keep you from going back
to England.”
“And you accomplished it. You
can buy what you want! Is that what you learned from Kevin Gillmore?
Everything has a price—just find out the amount.”
“But my money is your money.”
She fought her panic. “I only did it because I loved you. I wanted
to marry you and have your baby—can’t you understand?”
“No. I only understand that
George stood there with a smirk and said, ’Cheer up, Lyon, we’re
in the same boat—our wives own the business.’ But I’m not
George Bellows. And by God from now on the business will always come
first. Your money is at stake, and I’ll get it back for you—every
cent. But something more important than money is at stake now—my
pride and self-respect. There’s only one way to get it back—by
doubling your goddam investment.”
“Lyon!” She threw her arms
around him, but he remained stiff and unyielding. “I did it out of
love. Do you understand?”
“I understand only one
thing—the Bellamy, Bellows and Burke Agency is going to be the
biggest agency in town ... in the world! You bought it for me, my
girl, and you’re going to get your money’s worth. I’ll show
you. And the first thing I do is book reservations to take our pig of
a star to Los Angeles. Christmas be damned—full speed ahead!”
1963
Jennifer Burke was born New
Year’s Day. She burst into the world two weeks ahead of schedule
and gave Anne and the doctor quite a frantic New Year’s Eve. She
took fifteen hours to make her entrance, but when she finally
arrived, red and squalling, Anne saw no wrinkles or wizened newborn
face—she saw only the miracle and beauty of the little life she had
borne, and her strength surged back at the wonder of it all.
She had been lonely with Lyon
gone. Although he called every day from California, the rift was
there. She felt it in his casual terms of endearment. It stood
between them like a steel gate. But when the baby came, the gate
opened. As she came out of the anesthetic haze he phoned, and she
said, almost apologetically, “It is a girl ...”
He laughed, heartily. “I’m
delighted! I’m much too old to learn to play football with a son.
I’ll have more fun teaching a teen-aged daughter how to dance.”
He called her two and three
times a day while she was in the hospital. Neely’s triumph in Los
Angeles had been record-breaking, and now she was ready to go on to
San Francisco. Would Anne mind dreadfully? It meant three more weeks
away.
“Of course not,” she said
quickly. She did not want to chance reviving any discussion of the
firm or Neely’s work. Not now, when everything was wonderful again.
“Jennifer Burke will be an old lady by then, but I’ll try to keep
your memory alive,” she teased.
“George said he’d take some
Polaroid pictures of her,” Lyon said. “Send them to me as soon as
they dry.”
“I’ve just sent the one they
took at the hospital. She looks like a little old gnome. But really,
she’s going to be a beauty, Lyon. She has dark hair—what there is
of it.”
Lyon flew into town at the end
of the month. Little Jennifer weighed nine pounds and had lost her
wrinkles. She was all pink and white, and he was delighted with her.
He smiled gently as he studied the tiny face. “I’m terribly
afraid she resembles me,” he said with a frown. “Anne, you should
have concentrated harder. I wanted a carbon copy of you.”
“I did concentrate, and it
worked. I wanted her to look exactly like you.”
He had rushed straight from the
airport to the apartment to see her and the baby. Now he had to go to
the office. “We’ll celebrate the heiress’s arrival tonight at
dinner,” he promised.
That night Miss Cuzins, the
baby’s nurse, helped her squeeze into a waist nipper. It was
uncomfortable, but after so many months of being ungainly, she wanted
Lyon to see her slim and chic again. Not too bad, she thought,
studying her figure in the mirror. Actually her weight had returned
to normal; it was just her waistline that was off, and the nipper did
the trick. After all, it was only a month. But thank God she would
finally be able to go to bed with Lyon that night. It had been so
long—not since her seventh month. Poor Lyon. The doctor had warned
her there might be some pain at first, but it didn’t matter. To
hold Lyon in her arms again, to feel his body against her own—that
was all that mattered.
His secretary called at six.
Lyon was at a screening; would she meet him at seven o’clock at
Danny’s Hideaway? She hung up, slightly disappointed. She had
envisioned cocktails together at home, then a quiet dinner somewhere
off the beaten track, where they wouldn’t run into everyone they
knew. She liked Danny’s, but it meant everyone stopping by the
table to talk about business. Normally she didn’t mind shop talk,
but tonight was to be special.
She sat at a table near the bar
and waited. It was a quarter to eight and she was on her second
Scotch when she finally saw Lyon. He was with two of his assistants
and Bill Mack, a television director.
He rushed to her and kissed her
lightly. “Forgive me, please. We were looking at a tape at N.B.C.,
and the bloody thing split and had to be rerun. Oh, darling, you
remember Jim Handly and Bud Hoff,” he said as he brought the two
young men over to the table. “And of course you know Bill.”
They sat at a large table and
talked about the tape they had seen, a format of a new situation
comedy show. From the conversation, Anne deduced that Bill Mack owned
it and that he wanted to sign with The Three B’s, as Bellamy,
Bellows and Burke was beginning to be known. He wanted them to sell
the package. Lyon was enthusiastic. He was sure he could interest
C.B.S. or A.B.C., and perhaps redo it with Joey Kling in the lead.
Joey had just signed with the office. He was the new comedian of the
year.
“He’s going to be at the
Palladium with Neely,” Lyon explained. “As a matter of fact, he
should be here any second. I told him to pick me up.”
“Pick you up?” Anne turned
in surprise.
“Oh, my angel,” he said with
genuine concern. “This all happened three hours ago. Joey is going
to Washington to break in his act.”
“But you don’t have to go,
do you?”
“Don’t I ever! Neely thinks
she’s doing a one-woman show there tomorrow night. I have to
explain how important it is for Joey to share the bill with her.”
“I don’t envy you,” Bud
Hoff said.
Lyon smiled. “Neely knows
there will be other acts on the bill with her at the Palladium, but
she hasn’t shared the bill with anyone in the States. So far it’s
been a one-woman show. But when I explain that we’ve just signed
Joey ... Neely’s really a good sort, if you explain things right.”
He was leaving tonight! The
realization kept spinning through her head. He was leaving tonight!
“When will you be back?” she
asked.
“In two weeks. I’ll phone
first thing in the morning. Perhaps you could fly down over the
weekend. Could little Jen spare you?”
“Must you go tonight, Lyon?”
“I must. I hadn’t planned to
leave until tomorrow. But I have to get the publicity set on Joey,
and I’d best be on hand early tomorrow morning.”
He had only planned to stay in
town one night!
Joey Kling suddenly poked his
head in the door. Lyon waved. “I’ve got the car waiting,” Joey
called out. “And we’re double-parked.”
Lyon sprang up. “Sign the tab
to the office, Bud. Good night, my angel—I’ll phone you tomorrow.
Oh Bud, you will see Anne home, won’t you?”
She didn’t go to Washington
over the weekend. Miss Cuzins had said it would be fine, of course
she could go. But Lyon never brought it up. And on Friday he merely
said, “I’ll ring you tomorrow, same time.”
******
“Why don’t you just come out
and ask what’s wrong?” Henry said.
Anne stared into her coffee cup
as if expecting some miraculous answer to be revealed in its dregs.
“Because basically nothing is wrong,” she answered. “There’s
just this intangible difference.”
Henry Bellamy sighed. Anne
looked pale and much too thin. She had sounded desperate when she
demanded he take her to dinner. He was also afraid of the questions
she would put to him.
“Henry, the baby is three
months old. Lyon has spent exactly four days with her. One between
California and Washington, and three between Washington and London.
He’s been in London a month now. Neely’s a smash. I know she’s
being held over, but there’s no reason for him to remain.”
“What does George say?”
She smiled. “The same old
line. That Neely won’t stay there alone. That Lyon is like a god to
her, the only one she’ll listen to. That she’s bringing big money
into the office.”
Henry’s smile was sad. “This
is the story of being a successful manager. The wife always suffers.”
“But they’ve gotten several
big stars now. The office is doing great. How long do they have to
play wet nurse to Neely? She seems all right now. I think she can
stand on her own two feet.”
“They’re new in the
business, Anne. Everyone’s watching them. George never was a live
wire. Oh, he’s a hell of a businessman, but Lyon is the personality
boy. And there will always be a Neely or some star to wet-nurse. You
might as well face up to it.”
“You mean I go through life
like this?”
“It gets easier as time goes
along,” he said.
“Not for me it won’t!”
He was silent for a moment, then
he said, “Anne, you can’t have everything. I’ve seen your
apartment. A layout like that costs money. And Lyon is one of those
guys who must pay his own way.”
“But Henry—why doesn’t he
ask me to join him in London?”
Henry studied his cuticle.
“You’ve never been abroad, Anne. Perhaps he feels he’d like to
be able to show you around. But he’s trapped in the theatre all the
time. It wouldn’t be much fun for you hanging around like that.”
“If he explained it that way
I’d understand. And I’d go along with it. I could sightsee ...
catch other shows. As long as I saw him a little.”
“Let it be. He should return
any day now.”
“He’ll be back in a week.
But then what? Who knows where Neely will be booked by then? And off
he’ll go.”
“Take each problem as it
comes,” Henry suggested.
******
Lyon returned ten days later.
But he could only stay a week. Neely was going to make a picture in
Europe. It would be shot in France and Italy with a top cast, “She’s
not making a fortune out of it,” he explained, “but it will prove
to Hollywood and television that she’s reliable, because I intend
to see that the picture is brought in ahead of schedule.”
“Lyon, take me with you,”
she said suddenly.
“Wouldn’t work.”
“Why not?”
“Neely can be a monster, you
know. Her success in London was staggering. You don’t know what
it’s like when you make it over there. They have a loyalty that’s
unbelievable. They shout her name when she walks down the street and
they queue up for hours just to catch a glimpse of her. Two guys from
the Johnson Harris office flew over with a big television offer.
Everyone is trying to grab her. And all this is getting to her.”
“But she has to have loyalty
to you and George—you rescued her.”
“She’s also paid off every
cent she owes, to you and to the office. She’s making money—and
she’s making us money. The shoe seems to be on the other foot. She
thinks we ought to be grateful to her.”
“But what’s that got to do
with my coming over?”
“It would be a distraction.
Neely would resent it.”
“Neely would resent it! I’m
your wife. And I’m her best friend. How could she resent me?”
“She’s a power again, and
she knows it. Don’t forget, she allowed Joey Kling to share the
bill, and we’ve gotten Joey a big TV deal for next season out of
it. The package will go for a hundred and fifty thousand a week, and
we represent that package. That’s fifteen thousand a week for
thirty-nine weeks. And Neely was directly responsible for it. Next
year we’ll get Neely a special—once a month, for two hundred
thousand each. So right now everything revolves around Neely. If you
are there, naturally I’ll be splitting my time. I’d want to show
you Paris, Rome—I’d want to be with you. I would neglect Neely.
Please, my darling, bear with me. In another year I shall be able to
pay back your loan in the business. But for the moment, Neely is
still the backbone of The Three B’s and must be handled with care.”
“But I’m sure Neely wouldn’t
resent me. She was the one who told me I could leave the baby and
travel.”
“Neely is ... well, she’s
different now. All she thinks about is Neely. You’ve got to
understand that, Anne. You were never close to her when she was doing
well. She always came running to you when things went wrong. She was
human then—now she’s impossible. I have to watch her every second
to keep her from alienating people, to make sure she reports on time.
She’s regained her feeling of power. She’s even started with the
tantrums again. Luckily I can control them, and let’s hope it keeps
that way. But I must devote all my time to her.”
The next three months were
impossible for Anne. She spent so much time with little Jennifer that
the nurse felt idle and complained. Reports kept coming in about
Neely’s fantastic success abroad. Lyon wrote sporadically and
phoned once a week. The picture was going great, although they had
had to reshoot the beginning because Neely had lost so much weight.
He’d be home the end of June. Then a week passed without any word
at all.
She placed a transatlantic call
on July fourth. The operator at the George V announced he had checked
out exactly a week ago. No, no forwarding address. She believed he
had returned to the States. Yes, Miss O’Hara had checked out at the
same time.
She was dumbstruck. Could he
have come back by boat? But why, if he was eager to see her and the
baby? She called George. He sounded evasive. Yes, Lyon and Neely were
due back; no, he had not heard from them in five days.
That night she lay in bed and
tried to watch television. Nothing held her interest. She finally
turned off the set and settled down with the morning papers. Suddenly
an item in one of the columns stood out like a neon sign:
What
legendary singing star who has made a phenomenal comeback attributes
it, along with her shapely new figure, to her new love? But the
star’s love story may not have a happy ending. Her love is her
manager, who is very much married to a television beauty.
Her stomach lurched. It couldn’t
be! But Lyon had said that Neely had dropped a lot of weight. She
felt that she was going to be sick—or faint. Wait, she told
herself. All right, maybe Neely has fallen for Lyon. That’s not
hard. But it doesn’t necessarily mean Lyon cares about Neely. Lyon
might be holding her at arm’s length. Perhaps he realized all along
that this would happen. That would account for his reluctance to have
her join him in Europe. He might be trying to protect her. It might
be that Lyon was having a dreadful time ... but where was he now?
She reached for the phone and on
an impulse placed a person-to-person call to the Beverly Hills Hotel
in California. She prayed she was wrong. She got the operator at the
other end. Yes, Mr. Lyon Burke was registered—he had checked in
three days ago. No, he was not in. Yes, Miss O’Hara was also
registered. Her room did not answer. It was only nine o’clock in
California—did the party wish to try later? Anne canceled the call
and fell back against the pillows. He had been in California three
days! He hadn’t phoned! She threw on some slacks and rushed out
into the night.
Henry took ages to answer the
door. “Jesus, what’s up?” he said sleepily. He tied the sash of
his robe and led her into the living room. Switching on the lights,
he motioned toward a chair. “Sit down. What’s the matter?”
Anne was hysterical. “You saw
it!” She pointed to the morning papers on the floor. “Henry,
don’t play dumb with me. I just found out Lyon has been back for
several days. He’s in California with Neely. He hasn’t even
called me.”
“Let’s have a drink,”
Henry suggested.
“Henry ... help me!” She
sank into a chair and began to sob.
He calmly mixed a Scotch and
brought it to her. “Now let’s cut the hysteria and face facts.
You want to save your marriage, don’t you?”
“Then you believe it too!”
“Of course. I’ve known it
for some time.”
She couldn’t speak. She stared
at him as if the last friend in the world had betrayed her.
“Now grow up,” he said.
“This was in the cards. You have several alternatives. One, you can
walk out with your pride intact. Or two, if you want him badly enough
and have enough guts, you can ride it out and get him back.”
“I can’t live without Lyon,”
she sobbed.
“Then start getting some
control. Make scenes with him and you throw him right into Neely’s
arms.”
“But she’s fat as a pig. He
can’t care for her.”
“Not any more.” His voice
was weary. “I just got back from the Coast last night. I ran into
Neely and Lyon at Chasens. She looks marvelous. She barely weighs a
hundred pounds.”
“Neely?”
“Love can do it, I guess. She
dropped about ten pounds in Los Angeles on her first trip, maybe ten
more in Frisco and Washington, and the three months in Europe did the
trick. She doesn’t eat a thing. I watched her. She looks like
she’ll go up in smoke any second. But she’s insane about Lyon.
She doesn’t take her eyes off him—clings to him every second ...”
Anne buried her face in her
hands. “Henry, stop it! What are you trying to do—kill me?”
“No, I’m trying to give you
the truth. Once you know the facts, maybe you’ll know how to fight.
Surprise could defeat you. So you might as well have it straight.
Now—grit your teeth. This is really the bonecrusher—Lyon is not
exactly fighting her off.”
“No ... no ...” It was a
wail.
“Now stop the hysterics and
let’s figure out a plan.”
She looked at him in total
disbelief. “Henry, you must be mad! It’s finished—over.”
He shrugged. “Fine. I’ll
handle the divorce for you. Lyon will have to pay plenty of alimony,
and child support. I’m sure he’ll agree to everything.”
She began to sob more violently.
“No ... no ... I won’t give him up.”
“Then pull yourself together.
Drink your drink and let’s figure this out. You’re not the first
girl whose husband balled around, and you won’t be the last. You
just have to figure out what means the most to you, Lyon or your
pride.”
“But it could never be the
same.”
“No, it won’t. Some of the
stardust will be gone. But you’ll have him. And if I know you as
well as I think I do, a little of Lyon is better than no Lyon at
all.”
“Henry, how could he respect
me if he knew I accepted this?”
“That’s just it,” he said
impatiently. “He must never know you know. If he did you’d have
to ask for your freedom. That’s just what Neely’s gunning for.
Look ... Lyon entered into this innocently. You must realize that.
But it’s pretty heady stuff, being a Svengali, and the timing was
right. Lyon needed something like this for his ego. He’s a creative
guy, Anne. He feels you sold him down the drain creatively and
tricked him into this new career. Which is bullshit—if he really
had it, no one could stop it. But now he’s creating again. From a
large mass of blubber he’s etched a slim, vibrant star, a star who
seems to depend on him for the very air she breathes. He’s not just
a manager now, he’s a creator. He feels larger than life. It’s a
great feeling of power. No man can resist it. And Neely plays into
his hands by acting helpless. She’s as helpless as a cobra, but
that’s not the way it appears to him. To Lyon you’re the strong
one, the tycoon—his Svengali. Actually, Anne, you’re not
half as strong as Neely—the Neelys of this world are
indestructible—but with your poise and self-confidence you make
Lyon feel less a man than Neely does. He probably feels that you
castrated him—and not once, but twice. The first time when you
refused to give up a city for him, and now by buying him an agency.”
“If you only hadn’t told
Neely,” she moaned.
“It was the end of December.
You and Lyon were happy, and Neely was your best friend—or so I
thought. She came to me because she knew you listened to me. She
wanted me to convince you to travel after the baby was born. She
sobbed, swore she wouldn’t go without Lyon, carried on ... she said
you wouldn’t listen to reason because you were a millionaire and
didn’t give a damn about the agency, that you probably wanted Lyon
to retire. So I explained she had the picture all wrong, that it was
your money at stake. After all, I was going to have to tell Lyon in a
short time anyway. How did I know Neely of all people would use it
against you? Christ, do you know how many times she’s told me she
owed her whole life to you? You got her put back in Hit the Sky
by having Lyon intercede. You talked to Gil Case about her replacing
Terry King. You paid the freight for her at Haven Manor. I never
thought of Neely as a girl who would turn against you, let alone as a
rival for Lyon. It was a big mistake on my part, but done with the
best of intentions. And now the thing for you to do is face facts.
With you Lyon didn’t feel like a big man—then Neely came along
and built him to new heights. You’ll just have to wait till it
levels out.”
“How?” she begged.
“By sitting tight. Stop
playing God and be a woman for a while. Let the cobra in Neely come
out. Lyon’s no fool.” He paused. “You know, this thing with you
and Lyon—it was wrong from the start. But you wanted him. All
right, you’ve got him. And you’ve gone through too much to throw
in the sponge now. Your cue is to act as if nothing has happened.
It’s not going to be easy—in fact, it may be almost impossible at
times, because this thing with Neely will get hotter before it cools
down. But if you can hold out the cycle will reverse itself. And he’s
got to wind up hating her. She’ll castrate him—she does that to
all men. You ought to hear Ted Casablanca sound off on her. She’s
all syrup and softness in the beginning, but like all stars, she’s
solid steel underneath. In time, if you can ride with the punches,
you’ll wind up as the soft female he has wronged, and he’ll feel
protective and guilty about you. The marriage will be bruised a bit,
and you may not even want him by then—but if you do you’ll have
him. It’s going to be a battle of nerves, but I think you can do
it.”
“I’ll try,” she said
wearily. “Henry ... my world’s just collapsed. I think tonight I
may take my first doll.”
“A what?”
“A Seconal.” She smiled
faintly. “Jennifer and Neely called them dolls. I’ve never taken
one in my life, but I think I’ve earned one tonight. I wonder where
I could get some.”
He went to his medicine cabinet
and returned with a bottle. “Here ... there’s a two-month’s
supply. I just took one out for myself.”
She smiled faintly. “You too?”
“For twenty years. It’s
standard equipment for this business. Take one and get into bed.
Don’t smoke. If you’ve never taken one before it will act
quickly.”
She took the bottle and left.
Her legs felt leaden, and during the cab ride unwelcome pictures of
Neely and Lyon flashed through her mind.
At home she stood in the
bathroom and stared at the bottle for some time. It was packed with
gleaming red capsules. She took them out and counted them.
Sixty-five. Henry certainly trusted her. Well, why not? She wasn’t
about to throw in the towel. She had a child who needed her and a
husband she had to get back. All she wanted was a few hours of
escape, a few hours to blot out this nightmare that had suddenly
erupted. She swallowed one of the capsules. “All right, little
doll. Let’s see what all the shouting is about.” She got into bed
and picked up the papers she had tossed on the floor. She began to
read. In ten minutes the print began to blur. It was fantastic ...
her head grew light ... her eyes closed ... it was a doll ...
she was going to sleep. Tomorrow she’d think it all out.
******
Lyon arrived a week later. He
said they had taken the polar route home and stopped off in
California. She pretended surprise. He looked at her peculiarly. “You
mean you didn’t know I was in Los Angeles?”
“How would I know?” she
asked. “I assumed you were detained in Europe.”
He turned away, but not quickly
enough for her to miss the surprise in his eyes. He had returned
expecting trouble, loaded with explanations—and none were required.
They had dinner at The Colony, then spent their first evening alone.
She was tender and devoted in their lovemaking. It was difficult; she
wanted to reach out and claw him, to leave evidence that he belonged
to her. She was tortured with visions of him and Neely in bed, but
somehow she pushed the thoughts away and returned his embraces with
passion.
They had five wonderful days
together. She almost began to believe that nothing was wrong, that
whatever had happened was in the past. Then Neely arrived. She was
signed for ten monthly television specials, and she would have to
begin taping in August, since the first show went on in September.
But there was still half of July with nothing to do, so she came to
New York looking for action.
It was a Thursday. Anne knew
nothing about Neely’s arrival. She and Lyon had theatre tickets and
a date afterward at the Copa with the agent of a new male singer. It
seemed that every agent in town was trying to get his client a guest
shot on Neely’s show.
At five o’clock Lyon’s
secretary called. Mr. Burke had been called to a meeting with the
sponsors, and he would not be able to make it to the theatre. He was
sending Bud Hoff to escort her. He would join them later at the Copa.
It never occurred to Anne that
anything was amiss. She played with the baby, had a leisurely bath
and dressed. Bud arrived and took her to the theatre. They went to
the Copa, where the agent was waiting, holding a choice table on the
balcony. Anne explained that Lyon was detained and would join them.
The agent nodded. “I was
afraid he’d get tied up with Neely arriving today.”
She felt her face grow warm, but
she managed an impassive smile. “Oh yes ... that’s right. What
time did Neely get in, Bud?” she asked, trying to give the
impression that the news was no surprise.
Bud seemed uncomfortable. “About
noon, I think. Anyway, that’s when the first call came in.”
Anne ordered a drink. “Poor
Lyon. He was hoping she’d stay in Arizona with her sons.” Was
there an exchange of glances between Bud and the agent or did she
imagine it? How many people actually knew the truth?
She forced herself to watch the
show and comment favorably on the singer. Lyon’s empty chair seemed
to smirk at her. The smile was glued to her face as she made wifely
excuses for his absence. She could see how disappointed the agent
was, but his misery was no match for her own. “Probably something
came up about Neely’s show—she relies on Lyon so much. I’m sure
he feels dreadful about missing the show, but Bud will give him a
full report, won’t you, Bud?”
Of course Bud would. Again there
seemed to be an exchange between the two men.
It was three in the morning when
Bud dropped her off at the apartment. She knew Lyon would not be
there. She tiptoed in and kissed the baby and covered her. Darling,
darling little Jennifer, with her father’s black hair and blue
eyes. She was so beautiful. She felt the tears begin with the closing
of her throat. No—she had to be calm when Lyon came in. No tears.
She had to swallow whatever story he gave her.
At five o’clock she tiptoed
into the living room. Perhaps he had come in and didn’t want to
disturb her. Maybe he was sleeping in the den. But the living room
and den were empty. Oh God, Lyon, why? And Neely—how could you do
this to me? She walked to the bathroom and took a red pill—she had
taken one every night for a week until Lyon had returned. She had the
feeling that it had been the only thing that had saved her sanity.
She hadn’t taken one since his return. But here we go again, she
thought. Thank God for the lovely red dolls. They made the nights
bearable. It was easier to get through the days; there was the baby,
and she could usually have lunch with Henry or casual acquaintances.
She knew many women who lunched
at “21” or The Little Club and who were equally frantic to fill
their days, wives of Lyon’s assistants, or of directors or clients.
But she had never formed a close friendship with any girl since Neely
and Jennifer. Close friendships with girls come early in life. After
thirty it becomes harder to make new friends—there are fewer hopes,
dreams or anticipations to share. Still, there was always someone to
fill an afternoon, to lunch or shop with. But the nights! Long after
little Jen and Miss Cuzins were asleep she’d find herself awake,
thinking of Lyon, seeing his face, his smile—and imagining him with
Neely. When it was more than she could bear, she would dash for
release in the form of the faithful little red doll. Soon Neely and
Lyon would be blotted into nothingness by a dreamless sleep. That’s
how it had been that week.
And now it was all starting
again. She lay in bed and wondered how long Neely was planning to
stay. Perhaps it would just be for a few days. The room began to slip
away. Thank God the pill was working.
She did not know how long she
slept, but she was vaguely conscious of Lyon’s presence, his quiet
movement in the room. She forced her eyes open ... it was daylight.
He was in the bathroom.
“Lyon?” She sat up. She saw
the clock—eight o’clock! Had he just returned? She saw his suit
lying on the chair.
He came out of the bathroom in
his shorts, smiling. “Sorry I woke you.”
“What time is it?”
“Eight. I’m getting
dressed.” He walked across the room and quickly sat on his
untouched bed to hide the freshness of the sheets. He was actually
trying to pretend he had been here!
“What time did you get to
sleep?” he asked casually as he put on his shoes. “About three,”
she lied. Damn the pill—she was so groggy.
“I came in about four,” he
said lightly. “You were dead asleep.”
She fell back against the
pillow.
“Neely got into town,” he
said as he put on a clean shirt.
“Yes, Bud told me.” She knew
he was watching her reactions. She kept her eyes shut.
“She joined me and the
sponsors. There are some changes she wants made in the format, and a
few problems that had to be ironed out. She wants more strings in the
band and wants them to pay for it, and she insists that the network
absorb half the below-the-line costs. It took hours to work out.”
Till eight in the morning? She
kept her eyes closed.
“Then I went on to a late
dinner with the sponsors. I had to soothe them—and that Ted Kelly
... you know how he likes to drink. Oh, that’s right, you haven’t
met him. He’s with the agency. I sat with him at P. J.’s till
three-thirty, calming him. I wanted to call you at the Copa, but he
would have insisted on joining us and he was terribly drunk then, so
I just sat nursing him along. Thank God P. J.’s closes at four. I
came directly home.”
Oh, God, I can’t stand this,
she thought. I’ve got to scream. But she bit her lips and remained
silent.
“Are you awake, dearest?”
When she nodded faintly, he smiled. “You must have had a bit
yourself to be this done in. By the way, tonight try to arrange
something with some of your girl friends. I have to take Neely and
some agency people down to the Village and catch some acts.”
She was wide awake now. “Can’t
I go along?”
“You’d hate it,” he said
quickly. “And it’s business. None of the chaps are bringing their
wives. If you came it would put a social connotation on it, and then
they’d all bring their wives and we’d have a big party. One can’t
rush from spot to spot with an entourage.”
“But Neely will be there,”
she argued.
He looked surprised. “But of
course. It’s her show. She must approve any act that goes on.”
Then he smiled and said, “I hear Jennifer. I swear it sounds like
she said ’Dada.’ I think I’ll join our beauty for breakfast.
Now you go back to sleep.”
She didn’t see him for five
nights, though she heard him come in early in the morning to change.
Sometimes she’d wake and pretend to go along with the idea that he
had just awakened. He took care to muss the bed when he came in, and
there was always a valid excuse—more acts to see, a meeting with
the agency, a recording session with Neely, listening to songs for
Neely’s new album. And each night she’d take the red pill and
sink into merciful oblivion.
On the sixth day she faced a new
crisis. He had just gone. He had been out with Ted Kelly again, he
said. Just the two of them. She had pretended to swallow it, and now
sank back against the pillows. But she couldn’t go back to sleep.
She walked into the bathroom and took another red doll.
It was one in the afternoon when
she woke. She rang for the maid and said she wasn’t feeling well,
that she’d take some coffee and toast in bed. The maid brought the
tray and the afternoon papers. Idly, she opened one, turned to the
rotogravure section—and was struck by a large picture of Neely and
Lyon. “Miss Neely O’Hara dancing at El Morocco with her personal
manager, Lyon Burke.”
Neely looked good. With a start
she realized she hadn’t seen Neely in ... how long? Before the
baby—maybe eight or nine months ago. Neely wasn’t even trying to
hide her affair with Lyon. No, not the way she looked—radiant,
smiling into Lyon’s eyes. And Lyon looked happy too. Oh, God, now
what? He was caught in a lie. If only he hadn’t told her he had
been with Ted Kelly. She dialed Henry.
“Throw the paper out,” he
told her. “Don’t confront him with it. It’s possible you
wouldn’t have seen it.”
“Henry, I can’t go on like
this,” she sobbed. “I can’t ...”
“Come on over, Anne,” he
begged. “We’ll talk about it.”
******
Henry paced back and forth. “I
admit it’s rough,” he said. “I didn’t think she’d be this
brazen. I thought it would only be on tour. I figured you might be
lonely, but I didn’t figure you’d have it shoved under your nose
like this.”
“What can I do? I must be the
laughingstock of the whole town. I can’t even go to lunch now. I
said as late as yesterday that Lyon wished Neely would return to
California, that he hates playing wet nurse. I said this in front of
three women at lunch—and I knew they were snickering. Now I can’t
even save face.” She picked up the paper.
“Shall I call Lyon?” he
asked. “Talk as a friend, without letting on you’re here ... see
what I can do?”
She shook her head. “Lyon
would know. He knows you’re the only one I trust.”
Suddenly he reached for the
phone. “What are you doing?” she demanded.
“I’m going to call Neely,”
he said. “I’ll pretend I’m offering her advice, which she
needs. You go into the bedroom and listen in on the extension.”
She watched him as he wasted a
few minutes complimenting Neely on her new figure, her various
successes. Finally he forged ahead. “Neely, I just saw the
afternoon paper. What in hell is this about Lyon Burke?”
Anne didn’t like the
expression on his face. She went into the bedroom and quietly slipped
the receiver of the extension phone off the hook.
Neely was speaking. “Listen,
Henry—I love you, but butt out.”
“Neely,” Henry said quietly,
“I don’t care how you feel—even if you feel you owe no loyalty
to Anne, there is still your public image to protect. Everyone knows
Lyon is married to Anne. So far there’ve been just a few veiled
hints in columns, but this ...after all, your sponsors certainly
wouldn’t want a scandal, and Lyon is living with Anne.”
“Like hell he is,” Neely
snarled. “He just goes home in the morning to change his clothes.
He’s waiting, hoping she’ll catch him. But she’s always
asleep.”
“Maybe you only think he wants
to be caught, Neely.”
“Nuts! He’s been with me
every night. When they snapped us at Morocco last night, he even
said, ’Maybe it’s for the best—if the picture breaks it will
all come out.’ That’s exactly what he said. He’s just afraid to
break it to Anne, afraid she might fall apart. And ...” Neely
hesitated. “Well ... he does love that kid of theirs.”
“Neely, this will all come
back to you,” Henry said. “You can’t just reach out and take
what you want without worrying about the feelings of others. Everyone
gets paid back.”
“I’m not everyone!”
she cried shrilly. “And it’s about time I take what I want. You
know why? Because all my life I’ve given. Even as a kid ...
those fucking Gaucheros couldn’t dance, it was me who held the act
together. My brother-in-law is a checker at Macy’s now—he never
got an act together after I left. I made the studio money and they
kicked me in the ass. But nothing could destroy me. You know damn
well there’s no one like me. I don’t have to live by the stinking
rules made for ordinary people, because I’m not ordinary. Nothing
can destroy me, I tell you. Demerol, pills, a funny farm,
weight—nothing. But Lyon makes me tick. I don’t need to eat when
I’m with Lyon. I can drink now and take skinny pills and even
sleeping pills and it’s all right. Dammit, Henry, my talent makes
the world happy. And Lyon makes me happy. Don’t I have a right to
be happy? I need Lyon. Who the hell is Anne?”
“Only the best friend you ever
had!”
“Oh sure. Listen, she was
lucky I gave her the time of day. Why shouldn’t she have liked
having me around? I’m colorful. I’m a star. Who in hell is she
when you get down to it? Even when I was a kid I had more on the
ball. Sure, she had some fancy manners, but that was all. And who is
she now? A skinny nobody who sold nail polish on the air and who
slept with some old bastard for years. So she used his money to buy
Lyon, and now she wants to play Miss Pure Mouth. The Virgin Mary with
the baby. Well, I didn’t get my money handed to me because I had
good cheekbones, I earned it with my talent. She’s gone through
life on a pass long enough because of her goddam classy looks. She’s
around thirty-eight now, and I’m thirty-four, but my looks don’t
matter. I never got by on looks. If you’re a friend of Anne’s,
tell her to give Lyon his freedom. Then she can have her face done
and maybe Kevin Gillmore or some other slob will take her on. She was
always good at attracting millionaires!” Then, with a snort, Neely
slammed the phone down.
Anne slowly replaced the phone
in its cradle. She walked over to the mirror. The fine lines under
her eyes were deep today, and there were small lines evident around
her mouth. Funny, she’d never really thought about her looks in
connection with Lyon, but—
“Get away from that mirror!”
Henry had come into the room. “That little monster has dark circles
under her eyes down to her chin. And I’m glad to hear she thinks
she can drink. Her liver is shot.”
Anne began to shake. Henry
grabbed her and held her close. “Come on ... she was only talking
for effect. She knows I’ll talk to you.”
“Maybe she’s right, Henry.
Maybe Lyon does want out.”
“Lyon hasn’t said anything.
Listen, Anne—you told me he rumples the bed. At least he’s still
lying to you. He’s still making excuses.”
“Be thankful for small
favors,” she sobbed.
“Hang on, Anne. Neely said
nothing can ever destroy her talent. Nothing can—except Neely.
She’ll destroy herself—you watch.”
She shook her head. “It’s
the end of the line. I can’t stick it out.”
“Yes you can! And you will.
You’ve got class, and you can be as strong and as tough as that
little snit.”
******
Lyon didn’t even phone in an
excuse that night. He just stayed away. She was about to take the
pill at midnight when she heard the baby cry. Jen was a good baby—she
usually slept through the night. Something must be wrong. Oh, God,
and it was Miss Cuzins’s evening out. She rushed into the nursery.
The baby was red-faced and screaming. Anne lifted her tenderly out of
the crib. She searched for an open safety pin. Jen was wet, but no
pins were sticking into her. She changed her and offered her some
water in a bottle, but Jen refused and screamed louder. Her skin felt
hot. She was teething—it could be that. She rubbed some paregoric
on the little gums. Miss Cuzins swore by it. But the baby remained
fretful and sobbed. Then, for reassurance, she took Jen’s
temperature. 103! Carrying the baby, she rushed down the hall and
banged on the maid’s door. The sleepy woman obligingly put on her
robe and held the squalling baby while Anne tried to reach the
doctor.
It was Friday, and the service
said he was out of town for the weekend. They gave the number of the
relief doctor. His service said he had not checked in, but he might
be reached in an hour. Oh, God, she thought, what do I do? Where was
Lyon? She called Henry, but the endless buzz told her he was out,
too. Of course, he had a place somewhere in Westport. Was everyone
away?
Resolutely, she dialed the hotel
where Neely was staying. She announced herself to the operator. After
a pause Neely answered.
“Hello, Neely.” Anne made
her voice impersonal and calm. “Is Lyon there?”
“Nope.”
“I have to find him. It’s
urgent.”
“Well ...” Neely was
yawning. “If he calls me I’ll tell him.”
“Neely, the baby is sick.”
“Call a doctor.”
“I did. He’s away for the
weekend. She’s screaming and has a hundred-and-three fever.”
“Don’t panic. Babies always
run high fevers, mostly over nothing. Give her half an aspirin.”
“But if Lyon calls you, please
tell him.”
“Sure, sure. Now good night. I
got a recording session tomorrow. I got to sleep. The twins often ran
big fevers—it’s nothing.” The receiver clicked.
She believed Neely. Even Neely
couldn’t be that heartless. God, where was Lyon? Neely picked up
the phone and left a do-not-disturb order. Where in hell was
Lyon?
******
Neely picked up the phone and
left a do-not-disturb order. Where in hell was Lyon? Oh yeah,
he was at the Victoria Hotel with the arrangers, writing some new
lyrics for her theme. He had said he’d be there until two, and then
he’d come by. Should she call and tell him about the baby? Aah, it
was nothing. Babies always ran temperatures. This was just Anne,
using the only hold she had on him. How desperate could a broad get?
Well, she wasn’t going to fall for it. She’d be asleep when Lyon
came by. Then she wouldn’t be able to give him the message. Yeah,
she’d leave a note on her pillow saying she had taken pills at
twelve. Let’s see, it was now one-fifteen. If she was bombed out
with pills it would be normal to forget about Anne’s call when he
came in. He’d probably just go to sleep. Or maybe if she was asleep
he’d go home and see his stinking wife and baby. Oh, hell. She
swallowed three pills and drank a glass of Scotch. Okay, so he could
go home one night—she’d have him all the others. Drowsily, she
hoped the new theme would be good. Her name was on it as lyricist, a
gimmick Lyon had thought up. Every songwriter wanted her to record
their songs or sing them on TV. Now she’d demand billing as
co-author. Soon she’d have a real good rating at ASCAP. She smiled
contentedly as the pills began to work. Finally she slept.
******
The baby had been rushed to the
hospital at two in the morning. The relief doctor had finally checked
in with his service. At first they had feared polio, but it was
finally diagnosed as pneumonia.
When Lyon found Neely asleep he
had wandered home. To his amazement the lights were on, but there was
no sign of Anne. The tearful maid mumbled the news. He flew out of
the apartment and rushed to the hospital. Anne was sitting, pale and
frightened, in the waiting room. She barely acknowledged him.
“What’s the matter with
her?” he demanded.
“She’s in an oxygen tent.
Two nurses are with her. They won’t let me in the room.”
“I was working with the
songwriters on Neely’s new theme. We worked late, and when I got
home and found you gone ...”
“I called Neely hours ago,”
she said listlessly.
“I wasn’t with her,” he
said almost righteously. “Why should you call her?”
“Because I thought she might
know where you were. You’ve been gone for a week—attending to her
business, I presume.” He looked at her carefully. “There’s a
lot of work that goes into the preparation of a television show. We
decided she should have a new theme song, a new identity.”
“Lyon, if you don’t mind,
I’d rather not talk about Neely’s show right now. I’m sick with
fear about the baby.”
He reached out and took her
hand. It was an unconscious and natural gesture, but it caught her
off guard. Had they once been really close? Had this
marvelous-looking stranger once belonged to her? He was a stranger
now, bound to her by law but belonging to someone else. Yet she loved
him. It was a shocking admission. She wanted to hate him. But if
possible she desired him even more. She had no pride ... she’d
never let him go. Unless he asked for his release. Oh, God, don’t
let that happen! And yet how terrible that it took a tragedy to bring
him to her side.
It seemed an eternity before the
doctor appeared. They held their breath. He was smiling! It was going
to be all right. Yes, the fever had broken. Thank God for
penicillin—and thank God that babies had fantastic strength.
Lyon came to the hospital each
night at seven. Anne had taken a room adjoining the baby’s and
spent the entire day and night at the hospital. Lyon would peek at
the small figure in the crib and make affectionate clucking noises.
He insisted on taking Anne down to the restaurant in the hospital for
dinner each evening. He would remain at least two hours. At least it
was interfering with Neely’s evenings, she thought grimly.
******
Ten days later they took little
Jennifer home. Lyon had flowers all over the apartment. They dined at
home and he played with the baby. That night he made love to Anne for
the first time in weeks and they slept in each other’s arms.
It was four o’clock when the
phone rang. Anne woke first. She groped for it in the darkness.
It was Neely. Anne could tell by
the slurred words that she was loaded with pills. “Put that
sonofabitch on the phone,” she growled.
“He’s asleep, Neely.”
“Wake him.”
“I won’t.”
“You heard me. Wake him—or
I’ll come over there and do it myself.”
Lyon opened his eyes. Anne
mouthed Neely’s name. He took the phone.
“What is it, Neely?” He was
lying across Anne to reach the phone. She was able to hear Neely’s
shrill voice.
“I’ve been waiting for you
all night,” she hollered.
“The baby came home from the
hospital tonight.”
“So? She goes to sleep at
seven, doesn’t she?”
“It was her first night home.”
Anne shut her eyes. He was
apologizing for stealing an evening with his wife.
“Well ... come over now.”
“Neely, it’s four in the
morning.”
“You’d better come over.
I’ve taken seven pills. I’ll take ten more.”
“Neely! You have an interview
with Life magazine tomorrow!”
“Fuck ’em! I won’t be
around unless you get your ass over here!”
“All right, Neely. I’ll be
there.” Anne watched him get out of bed. I must hang on, she
thought. He didn’t really want to go there tonight—she’s
forcing him. If I can hang on, this will be my first victory. She lay
back on the bed and kept her eyes closed. He came over to her fully
dressed. “Anne ... do you understand?”
“I know you don’t want to
go,” she said.
“Anne—this has been rotten
for you. I guess we’ll have to do something about it.”
The victory vanished. Could he
choose Neely over her and the baby?
“Lyon, things will work out,”
she said quickly. “It’s bad to make middle-of-the-night
decisions.”
“But we can’t go on like
this—you, Neely or myself,” he said.
“I can—because I know it
can’t remain like this. Lyon, you’re in a bind.”
“Neely needs me. She’s a
great talent, Anne, with no discipline. She had to be led by the
hand. You’re strong.”
Tears came to her eyes. “No,
I’m not strong. The only strong thing about me is my love for you.”
He turned and quickly left the
room.
******
When the new television season
began, Anne returned to work. Henry had introduced her to the
producer of a new panel show. She found it easy to play the game, and
he engaged her immediately. It was a daily show and it kept her busy.
It also kept her from noticing how Lyon spent more and more time with
Neely.
At the end of September both
Lyon and Neely left for the Coast to tape her first show.
Neely’s show was a sensation.
The ratings placed her in the top ten, and Lyon was credited with
masterminding the entire operation. Anne had to marvel at Neely’s
power—several big stars immediately signed with Lyon and George.
Variety ran stories about The Three B’s, the hottest agency
in New York. And it was all spearheaded by Neely O’Hara.
Lyon managed a few brief trips
back to New York. During these visits there were times Anne felt
there was a chance. The nights he held her close, when she almost
forgot he held Neely the same way. But there were always the
harassing calls from Neely in California, reminders that Neely came
first.
He arrived back in New York a
few days after Christmas, loaded with toys for Jennifer and an
expensive piece of jewelry for her. She was aware he had split
himself again—Christmas with Neely, but back in New York in time to
approximate a celebration with her and little Jen.
Three days later Neely called,
demanding his instant return. Anne sat in the den, quietly listening
in on the extension phone.
“I shall be there soon,”
Lyon said with a trace of exasperation.
“Tonight!” Neely shrieked.
“Do you know what day tomorrow is? New Year’s Eve!”
“And January first is my
daughter’s first birthday,” he said firmly.
“Shit! Celebrate it today—the
kid won’t know the difference.”
“But I will. Now you be a good
girl. You’re invited to lots of parties, and one of the men from
the agency will escort you. I shall be there no later than the fifth.
I have to stay here and catch the opening of Honey Belle.”
Neely sneered. “That Margie
Parks will come up a big zero.”
“I saw her at the Blue Angel
last year,” Lyon said. “She has a wonderful quality.”
“They’ll have to mike her
up,” Neely insisted. “She sings great—listen, I’m the first
to admit if someone’s good. She uses her voice like an instrument.
But I heard the scuttlebutt. They almost replaced her out of town,
until they decided to mike her up. She sings in her throat. She’ll
never last. She’s gotta burn out in a few years. I would a too, if
it hadn’t been for Zeke Whyte setting me straight.”
“Well, the office wants to
sign her,” Lyon said insistently. “I’ve got to go to the
opening.”
“You mean you’d waste your
time servicing her?” Neely’s voice was dangerous.
“Of course not. George
wouldn’t either. She’s only nineteen. She’d be handled by Bud
Hoff. The women like him, and he’ll wet-nurse her.”
“Bud Hoff is a lox,” Neely
said. “He sits around thinking he’s God’s gift to women. Him
and those black suits and black ties. Geez, all the guys in your
office look like they wear uniforms. Well, I guess you need guys like
that ...” Neely yawned. “The damn pills are finally beginning to
work. When will you be here?”
“The fifth, at the latest,”
he promised.
“Love me?”
“You know I do,” he said
quickly.
“How much?”
“Terribly.”
“More than you love Anne and
the baby?”
“It would seem so. Now Neely,
I must hang up. Anne is home. She could pick up the phone.”
“I hope she has.”
“Do you enjoy hurting people?”
“No, but if she knew, she’d
give you up.”
“Perhaps she does know,”
Lyon said.
“You’ve told her?”
“No, but Anne isn’t
insensitive—or stupid. And the rumors are pretty thick around
town.”
“Then why doesn’t she let
you go?” Lyon was silent.
“Well, dammit, I’m gonna
call and tell her. Then she’ll have to let you go. Her pride will
make her.”
“Don’t do that,” Lyon
said.
“I’m gonna—”
“Don’t. It won’t work,
anyway. I’ve ... you see, we’ve already had it out.”
“When? You didn’t tell me.”
“Just last night.”
Anne hoped she hadn’t gasped
audibly. They had never been closer than they had been last night.
“What happened?” Neely
asked.
“Nothing. She just said she
knew all about it, but would shut her eyes. She said she will never
give me a divorce.”
“Well, let’s make her. We’ll
neck up a storm in public.”
“You tried that, Neely.
Columnists like you. They try to protect you. They don’t print all
they see.”
“I’ll call and give an
interview. I’ll say you want to marry me and I want you, but you
got a wife who wants to sit.”
“And do you know what would
happen to your show? There’s a morals clause. Your sponsor sells
breakfast food. You’d be canceled so quickly—”
“Who cares? We could go to
Europe and make another picture.”
“Neely, I have a partner. It
would hurt the agency. I cannot think only of myself.”
“Oh, you and that fucking
agency. All right, when I make a million bucks, I’ll buy you out
and we’ll tell ’em all to go to hell. I want you with me night
and day, every second.”
He laughed. “See you on the
fifth, Neely.”
“Hey, not so fast. Call me at
noon, my time, tomorrow.”
“I’ll do that.”
“Love me?”
“I adore you.”
Then everyone hung up.
1964
Honey Belle was the
musical smash of the season. Anne watched the small, thin little girl
with the crooked smile capture the audience. She was nineteen and
untrained, but she exuded the excitement that spells “star.”
“We’re lucky,” George
whispered. “Lyon insisted on signing her yesterday. Everybody in
town will want her after tonight.”
“This one is strictly your
headache,” Lyon whispered as he leaned across Anne.
George smiled. “Are you
kidding? She’ll be happy to settle for Bud Hoff or Ken Mitchell or
any of the guys in the office who’ll service her.”
Anne’s thoughts went back to
that other evening, so many years ago, when she had sat beside Lyon
and watched Neely open on Broadway. She had been a nice kid too,
without temperament. Nineteen years ago .. she had loved Lyon then,
and she loved him now. In monitoring Neely’s calls she realized she
had won—yet somehow the victory was tasteless. Lyon was lying to
Neely, pretending he had asked for a divorce. He really didn’t want
to leave her. He didn’t want to be stuck with Neely, now that the
cobra in Neely was showing. Tomorrow was the fifth, but Lyon had made
no announcement about leaving. In fact, he had spoken about a new
opening he wanted to catch on the eighth. But had she really won, or
was it a stalemate? Neely was still there—would probably always be
there. Did he enjoy Neely’s body? Was it the same with Neely as
with her? She would never know.
Even the crush backstage was the
same. Margie Parks, looking so young, so vulnerable—awed by her
brilliant new managers and struck dumb by the famous celebrities who
came back to congratulate her.
Anne sat between Lyon and George
at the opening-night party later in the evening. At one point, when
Lyon had gone to another table to conduct some business, Margie moved
over and took his seat. “I want you to know, Miss Welles, I’ve
always been a fan of yours.”
Anne smiled. “The panel show?
Good Lord, it’s nothing.”
“Oh, I love you on the panel
show,” Margie insisted. “But when you were the Gillian
Girl—that’s when I swooned. I remember, I was ten years old and I
stole a dollar from my mother’s pocketbook to buy the Gillian
lipstick. I wanted to look just like you.”
Anne smiled. Suddenly she
understood how Helen Lawson had felt. It was so wonderful to be
young, to think you’ll always be young. Yet she knew she was a
symbol of success to Margie Parks. She was sleek, married to an
important man and a small success in her own right. Margie was not
pretty—she was wearing a green dress that failed to bring out any
of her good points, and her coat was one of those black silk jobs,
the kind she had once hunted down at Bloomingdale’s. She had
noticed Margie’s awe at her mink coat. But did Margie know her
thick, luxurious hair had to be tinted now? Or that the lines under
her eyes had to be carefully hidden with the proper makeup? In a soft
light like tonight’s she could be striking; in fact, she knew heads
turned when she entered a room. She looked well on television, and
she could probably go on for another fifteen years with the right
makeup and lights. But she would never pretend to be younger than she
was. Who would she be fooling? Everyone knew her age.
Margie chatted incessantly. Lyon
was openly bored, and they left her in George’s care an hour later.
That night Lyon looked tired.
There were several messages from
Neely. Wearily he called her back. He made no effort to hide the
conversation from Anne, but kept it brief and impersonal. Yes, the
show had been a hit. Yes, they had signed Margie Parks. Of course she
was a small talent. Yes, he’d be out in a few days.
But Margie’s success was like
brushfire. Her album of the show sold phenomenally well, and the
single sides she made hit the top ten. Then in April George signed
her for an enormous television deal, to begin a weekly series the
following season. The Three B’s represented the package.
Lyon continued to shuttle back
and forth to California. Neely’s shows were doing well, and she was
signed up for the following season. The Three B’s were opening a
California office, and several good agents had left the Johnson
Harris office to join them.
Neely was riding the crest of
Hollywood’s new social wave. She had rented an enormous house and
hired a full staff, and her large parties drew all the “in”
people.
She was taping her last show of
the season when George summoned Lyon back to New York. The network
wanted a rundown of the format Margie Parks would use the following
season. “You’re the creative one,” George said. “I made the
sale—now you’ve got to put the show together.”
Lyon had slipped out of
California quietly. He had left Neely a note promising to return in
forty-eight hours. He hoped to avoid a scene this way, and he felt
fairly safe. Two thirds of the show was already on tape.
Lyon met with the network and
sponsors. Everything went well. The director called from the Coast.
Neely was furious, but was cooperative so far. Lyon relaxed and
decided against rushing back. He took Anne to the theatre ... he took
little Jennifer for her first pony ride in Central Park. They were in
bed watching the Late Show when the news bulletin interrupted: “Neely
O’Hara rushed to hospital, close to death.”
George was on the phone seconds
later. He had called California and been told that Neely might make
it. She had swallowed half a bottle of pills. Lyon dressed while Anne
packed his bags. There was a one-thirty flight to the Coast—he
could just about make it. Neely’s show wasn’t all taped, but Joey
Kling would fly out and take over. They’d piece together some kind
of a show by airtime.
Neely was weak and hollow-eyed
when Lyon came to her hospital room. She had come out of it—she
would live. She held out her arms. “Oh, God, Lyon, when I found out
... it was the end. I wanted to die!”
“Found out what?” He held
her gently and stroked her hair.
“I read it in the trades while
I was on the set. It said you were called back to give Margie Parks
the star treatment.”
“And that’s why you tried
...” His voice trailed off in amazement.
“Look, Lyon, I’ll stand for
you giving your wife a hump now and then, and I might even forgive
you if you took a flier with another girl—but I’ll never stand
for you building up another star on my time.”
“But Neely, we’re not a
one-woman office.”
“I made your lousy office—and
I can unmake it. Just remember that! If I walk, half your lineup
would walk with me. You need me, brother, so when I snap my fingers
you be here from now on!”
Lyon rose and walked out of the
room.
“Lyon! Come back here!” she
shouted. He continued to walk down the hall.
******
Lyon went back to New York on
the next plane. He called an emergency meeting with George. “One
question,” he said. “Have you paid back your wife?”
George smiled. “No, and I
don’t intend to.”
“I’ve just written the final
check to Anne. I’m in the clear now. From now on, any risks I take
I take on my own money. Nothing else is riding—”
“Except my share.” George
smiled again.
“Of course. Even so, I’ve
come to the conclusion we have to drop Neely. She’s not worth the
agony. We don’t need her any more.”
“Don’t you think it will
hurt us?” George asked.
Lyon shook his head. “Not at
all. Margie’s show will bring in twice as much revenue—it’s a
weekly show, don’t forget—and we’ve got Joey Kling going great
guns. Neely has to go up in smoke eventually—maybe not next year or
even the year after, but she’ll go—and we’re not going to be a
part of it. We resurrected her and got the credit for that. Let’s
quit her while we’re ahead.”
“What makes you think Neely
won’t go on and on? That funny farm straightened her out pretty
well.”
Lyon laughed. “How long can
anyone last when they’re on two Demerol shots a day?”
“She said they were vitamin
shots,” George said.
“Some vitamins! Look, we’re
building up some good men in this office. We’re a great
combination, George. You can sell—there’s no one who can touch
you there—and I can manage to be fairly creative with talent and
the agency people. We can’t piddle away half our strength in
traveling back and forth across the country as trained nurse and
lover to this octopus. God, George, she eats people alive! Heaven
knows how Anne has managed to survive. But we’ve had it with Neely.
I know Abe Kingman from the Johnson Harris office flew out there to
talk to her—let’s release her.”
George grinned. “Okay, you
send the wire personally. I think you deserve that break.”
******
Neely signed with the Johnson
Harris office and made scathing remarks about the inefficiency of her
past management. The Three B’s were not harmed, and in September
the Margie Parks show was launched with great success.
Neely started the new season
with good ratings. Three men from the Johnson Harris office were
assigned to her around the clock.
“Do you think she’ll be all
right?” Anne asked.
Lyon nodded. “For a time. But
she’s on a self-destructive kick. She’s taking on too much—the
large house, the servants, too much free booze is flowing. She’s a
star again, and that nearly killed her before.”
“If she snaps ...” Anne
couldn’t help feeling some concern. Neely’s destructiveness was
so pathetically sick.
“She’ll snap one day,”
Lyon said. “She has to.”
“And then what?”
“She’ll make a comeback
again—and again and again, as long as her body holds out. It’s
like a civil war, with her emotions against her talent and physical
strength. One side has to give. Something has to be destroyed.”
1965
Anne wished she hadn’t allowed
herself to be talked into giving this New Year’s Eve party. She
stared at the endless guests—they kept coming and going, crowding
into the elevator and standing three deep at the bar. George and Lyon
had pressured her into it, but giving a party was not as simple as
going to one. You could always leave someone else’s party. You were
stuck with your own.
Celebrities from the Broadway
shows began to arrive. It was past one, and she hadn’t seen Lyon
since their brief kiss at midnight. It was January first now, Jen’s
second birthday. She slipped away from everyone and walked down the
hall to the nursery. The small night light picked out the dim outline
of the sleeping child.
“Happy New Year, angel,”
Anne whispered. “I love you ... oh, God, how I love you!” She
leaned over and kissed the clean little brow, then quietly slipped
out of the room. The living room was a wall of noise. The den was
packed, too, and the bar was jammed. She went into her bedroom and
closed the door. No, this was wrong—the hostess could not duck out.
Besides, if she kept the door closed, someone would knock. It was
rude. She opened the door and switched off the lights. That was
better. If she left the door open and the lights off, no one could
see her. She hoped they wouldn’t come in. Her head was splitting.
She stretched out on the bed.
The shrieks of laughter seemed far away, and the music ... Somewhere
she heard a glass crash ... bursts of laughter ... suddenly she heard
footsteps. O Lord, someone was coming. She’d say she just had to
lie down. Two silhouettes came into the room. She lay quietly on the
bed, hoping they would go.
“Let’s close the door,”
the girl whispered.
“Nonsense. That would draw
attention.”
It was Lyon ... but she could
not distinguish the girl.
“I love you, Lyon.” The
voice sounded familiar.
“Oh, come now, you’re just a
baby.”
“I don’t care. I love you.
My show was better than it’s ever been last week because you
personally supervised things.”
His kiss silenced her.
“Lyon ... will you be there
every week?”
“I’ll try.”
“Not try—be there!”
The voice was insistent. “Lyon, I’m one of the office’s top
properties ...”
“Margie, are you trying to
blackmail my love?” he said lightly.
“Is that what Neely O’Hara
did?”
“There was never anything
between Neely and me.”
“Ha! Well, anyway, there’s
going to be plenty between us. God, I dig you!”
He kissed her again. “Now be a
good girl. Let’s get back to the party before we’re missed.”
Anne lay quietly until they were
gone. Then she got up and straightened her dress. She went to the
bathroom and took a red doll. Strangely enough, she felt no panic.
Now it was Margie Parks ... She found it didn’t hurt as much this
time. She still loved Lyon, but she loved him less. After Neely had
gone he had been more devoted than ever. But there had been no sense
of triumph. Something or some part of her had gone with Neely. She
knew now there would always be a Neely, or a Margie ... but each time
it would hurt less, and afterward she would love Lyon less, until one
day there would be nothing left—no hurt, and no love.
She brushed her hair and
freshened her makeup. She looked fine. She had Lyon, the beautiful
apartment, the beautiful child, the nice career of her own, New
York—everything she had ever wanted. And from now on, she could
never be hurt badly. She could always keep busy during the day, and
at night—the lonely ones—there were always the beautiful dolls
for company. She’d take two of them tonight. Why not? After all, it
was New Year’s Eve!
END
No comments:
Post a Comment