THE
HAND OF FU-MANCHU
SAX
ROHMER
(
INSTALMENT 2 )
CHAPTER
XIV
THE
GOLDEN POMEGRANATES
"What
was it that he cried out?" demanded Nayland Smith abruptly. "I
was in the sitting-room and it sounded to me like 'pomegranates'!"
We
were bending over Lewison; for now, the wig removed, Lewison it
proved unmistakably to be, despite the puffy and pallid face.
"He
said 'the golden pomegranates,'" I replied, and laughed harshly.
"They were words of delirium and cannot possibly have any
bearing upon the manner of his death."
"I
disagree."
He
strode out into the sitting-room.
Weymouth
was below, supervising the removal of the unhappy prisoner, and
together Smith and I stood looking down at the brass box. Suddenly –
"I
propose to attempt to open it," said my friend.
His
words came as a complete surprise.
"For
what reason? – and why have you so suddenly changed your mind?"
"For
a reason which I hope will presently become evident," he said;
"and as to my change of mind, unless I am greatly mistaken, the
wily old Chinaman from whom I wrested this treasure was infinitely
more clever than I gave him credit for being!"
Through
the open window came faintly to my ears the chiming of Big Ben. The
hour was a quarter to two. London's pulse was dimmed now, and around
about us that great city slept as soundly as it ever sleeps. Other
sounds came vaguely through the fog, and beside Nayland Smith I sat
and watched him at work upon the Tulun-Nur box.
Every
knob of the intricate design he pushed, pulled and twisted; but
without result. The night wore on, and just before three o'clock
Inspector Weymouth knocked upon the door. I admitted him, and side by
side the two of us stood watching Smith patiently pursuing his task.
All
conversation had ceased, when, just as the muted booming of London's
clocks reached my ears again and Weymouth pulled out his watch, there
came a faint click ... and I saw that Smith had raised the lid of the
coffer!
Weymouth
and I sprang forward with one accord, and over Smith's shoulders
peered into the interior. There was a second lid of some dull, black
wood, apparently of great age, and fastened to it so as to form knobs
or handles was an exquisitely carved pair of golden pomegranates!
"They
are to raise the wooden lid, Mr. Smith!" cried Weymouth eagerly.
"Look!
there is a hollow in each to accommodate the fingers!"
"Aren't
you going to open it?" I demanded excitedly – "aren't you
going to open it?"
"Might
I invite you to accompany me into the bedroom yonder for a moment?"
he replied in a tome of studied reserve. "You also, Weymouth?"
Smith
leading, we entered the room where the dead man lay stretched upon
the bed.
"Note
the appearance of his fingers," directed Nayland Smith.
I
examined the peculiarity to which Smith had drawn my attention. The
dead man's fingers were swollen extraordinarily, the index finger of
either hand especially being oddly discolored, as though bruised from
the nail upward. I looked again at the ghastly face, then, repressing
a shudder, for the sight was one not good to look upon, I turned to
Smith, who was watching me expectantly with his keen, steely eyes.
From
his pocket the took out a knife containing a number of implements,
amongst them a hook-like contrivance.
"Have
you a button-hook, Petrie," he asked, "or anything of that
nature?"
"How
will this do?" said the Inspector, and he produced a pair of
handcuffs. "They were not wanted," he added significantly.
"Better
still," declared Smith.
Reclosing
his knife, he took the handcuffs from Weymouth, and, returning to the
sitting-room, opened them widely and inserted two steel points in the
hollows of the golden pomegranates. He pulled. There was a faint
sound of moving mechanism and the wooden lid lifted, revealing the
interior of the coffer. It contained three long bars of lead – and
nothing else!
Supporting
the lid with the handcuffs –
"Just
pull the light over here, Petrie," said Smith.
I
did as he directed.
"Look
into these two cavities where one is expected to thrust one's
fingers!"
Weymouth
and I craned forward so that our heads came into contact.
"My
God!" whispered the Inspector, "we know now what killed
him!"
Visible,
in either little cavity against the edge of the steel handcuff, was
the point of a needle, which evidently worked in an exquisitely made
socket through which the action of raising the lid caused it to
protrude. Underneath the lid, midway between the two pomegranates, as
I saw by slowly moving the lamp, was a little receptacle of metal
communicating with the base of the hollow needles.
The
action of lifting the lid not only protruded the points but also
operated the hypodermic syringe!
"Note,"
snapped Smith – but his voice was slightly hoarse.
He
removed the points of the bracelets. The box immediately reclosed
with no other sound than a faint click.
"God
forgive him," said Smith, glancing toward the other room, "for
he died in my stead! – and Dr. Fu-Manchu scores an undeserved
failure!"
CHAPTER
XV
ZARMI
REAPPEARS
"Come
in!" I cried.
The
door opened and a page-boy entered.
"A
cable for Dr. Petrie."
I
started up from my chair. A thousand possibilities – some of a sort
to bring dread to my heart – instantly occurred to me. I tore open
the envelope and, as one does, glanced first at the name of the
sender.
It
was signed "Karamaneh!"
"Smith!"
I said hoarsely, glancing over the massage, "Karamaneh is on her
way to England. She arrives by the Nicobar tomorrow!"
"Eh?"
cried Nayland Smith, in turn leaping to his feet. "She had no
right to come alone, unless –"
The
boy, open-mouthed, was listening to our conversation, and I hastily
thrust a coin into his hand and dismissed him. As the door closed –
"Unless
what, Smith?" I said, looking my friend squarely in the eyes.
"Unless
she has learnt something, or – is flying away from some one!"
My
mind set in a whirl of hopes and fears, longings and dreads.
"What
do you mean, Smith?" I asked. "This is the place of danger,
as we know to our cost; she was safe in Egypt."
Nayland
Smith commenced one of his restless perambulations, glancing at me
from time to time and frequently tugging at the lobe of his ear.
"Was
she safe in Egypt?" he rapped. "We are dealing, remember,
with the Si-Fan, which, if I am not mistaken, is a sort of Eleusinian
Mystery holding some kind of dominion over the eastern mind, and
boasting initiates throughout the Orient. It is almost certain that
there is an Egyptian branch, or group – call it what you will –
of the damnable organization."
"But
Dr. Fu-Manchu –"
"Dr.
Fu-Manchu – for he lives, Petrie! my own eyes bear witness to the
fact – Dr. Fu-Manchu is a sort of delegate from the headquarters.
His prodigious genius will readily enable him to keep in touch with
every branch of the movement, East and West."
He
paused to knock out his pipe into an ashtray and to watch me for some
moments in silence.
"He
may have instructed his Cairo agents," he added significantly.
"God
grant she get to England in safety," I whispered. "Smith!
can we make no move to round up the devils who defy us, here in the
very heart of civilized England? Listen. You will not have forgotten
the wild-cat Eurasian Zarmi?"
Smith
nodded. "I recall the lady perfectly!" he snapped.
"Unless
my imagination has been playing me tricks, I have seen her twice
within the last few days – once in the neighborhood of this hotel
and once in a cab in Piccadilly."
"You
mentioned the matter at the time," said Smith shortly; "but
although I made inquiries, as you remember, nothing came of them."
"Nevertheless,
I don't think I was mistaken. I feel in my very bones that the Yellow
hand of Fu-Manchu is about to stretch out again. If only we could
apprehend Zarmi."
Nayland
Smith lighted his pipe with care.
"If
only we could, Petrie!" he said; "but, damn it!" –
he dashed his left fist into the palm of his right hand – "we
are doomed to remain inactive. We can only await the arrival of
Karamaneh and see if she has anything to tell us. I must admit that
there are certain theories
of
my own which I haven't yet had an opportunity of testing. Perhaps in
the near future such an opportunity may arise."
How
soon that opportunity was to arise neither of us suspected then; but
Fate is a merry trickster, and even as we spoke of these matters
events were brewing which were to lead us along strange paths.
With
such glad anticipations as my pen cannot describe, their gladness not
unmixed with fear, I retired to rest that night, scarcely expecting
to sleep, so eager was I for the morrow. The musical voice of
Karamaneh seemed to ring in my ears; I seemed to feel the touch of
her soft hands and to detect, as I drifted into the borderland
betwixt reality and slumber, that faint, exquisite perfume which from
the first moment of my meeting with the beautiful Eastern girl, had
become to me inseparable from her personality.
It
seemed that sleep had but just claimed me when I was awakened by some
one roughly shaking my shoulder. I sprang upright, my mind alert to
sudden danger. The room looked yellow and dismal, illuminated as it
was by a cold light of dawn which crept through the window and with
which competed the luminance of the electric lamps.
Nayland
Smith stood at my bedside, partially dressed!
"Wake
up, Petrie!" he cried; "your instincts serve you better
than my reasoning. Hell's afoot, old man! Even as you predicted it,
perhaps in that same hour, the yellow fiends were at work!"
"What,
Smith, what!" I said, leaping out of bed; "you don't mean
–"
"Not
that, old man," he replied, clapping his hand upon my shoulder;
"there is no further news of her, but Weymouth is waiting
outside. Sir Baldwin Frazer has disappeared!"
I
rubbed my eyes hard and sought to clear my mind of the vapors of
sleep.
"Sir
Baldwin Frazer!" I said, "of Half-Moon Street? But what –"
"God
knows what," snapped Smith; "but our old friend
Zarmi, or so it would appear, bore him off last night, and he has
completely vanished, leaving practically no trace behind."
Only
a few sleeping servants were about as we descended the marble stairs
to the lobby of the hotel where Weymouth was awaiting us.
"I
have a cab outside from the Yard," he said. "I came
straight here to fetch you before going on to Half-Moon Street."
"Quite
right!" snapped Smith; "but you are sure the cab is from
the Yard? I have had painful experience of strange cabs recently!"
"You
can trust this one," said Weymouth, smiling slightly. "It
has carried me to the scene of many a crime."
"Hem!"
said Smith – "a dubious recommendation."
We
entered the waiting vehicle and soon were passing through the nearly
deserted streets of London. Only those workers whose toils began with
the dawn were afoot at that early hour, and in the misty gray light
the streets had an unfamiliar look and wore an aspect of sadness in
ill accord with the sentiments which now were stirring within me. For
whatever might be the fate of the famous mental specialist, whatever
the mystery before us – even though Dr. Fu-Manchu himself,
malignantly active, threatened our safety – Karamaneh would be with
me again that day – Karamaneh, my beautiful wife to be!
So
selfishly occupied was I with these reflections that I paid little
heed to the words of Weymouth, who was acquainting Nayland Smith with
the facts bearing upon the mysterious disappearance of Sir
BaldwinFrazer. Indeed, I was almost entirely ignorant upon the
subject when the cab pulled up before the surgeon's house in
Half-Moon Street.
Here,
where all else spoke of a city yet sleeping or but newly awakened,
was wild unrest and excitement. Several servants were hovering about
the hall eager to glean any scrap of information that might be
obtainable; wide-eyed and curious, if not a little fearful. In the
somber dining-room with its heavy oak furniture and gleaming silver,
Sir Baldwin's secretary awaited us. He was a young man, fair-haired,
clean-shaven and alert; but a real and ever-present anxiety could be
read in his eyes.
"I
am sorry," he began, "to have been the cause of disturbing
you at so early an hour, particularly since this mysterious affair
may prove to have no connection with the matters which I understand
are at present engaging your attention."
Nayland
Smith raised his hand deprecatingly.
"We
are prepared, Mr. Logan," he replied, "to travel to the
uttermost ends of the earth at all times, if by doing so we can
obtain even a meager clue to the enigma which baffles us."
"I
should not have disturbed Mr. Smith," said Weymouth, "if I
had not been pretty sure that there was Chinese devilry at work here:
nor should I have told you as much as I have, Mr. Logan," he
added, a humorous twinkle creeping into his blue eyes, "if I had
thought you could not be of use to us in unraveling our case!"
"I
quite understand that," said Logan, "and now, since you
have voted for the story first and refreshments afterward, let me
tell you what little I know of the matter."
"Be
as brief as you can," snapped Nayland Smith, starting up from
the chair in which he had been seated and beginning restlessly to
pace the floor before the open fireplace –" as brief as is
consistent with clarity. We have learnt in the past that an hour or
less sometimes means the difference between –"
He
paused, glancing at Sir Baldwin's secretary.
"Between
life and death," he added.
Mr.
Logan started perceptibly.
"You
alarm me, Mr. Smith," he declared; "for I can conceive of
no earthly manner in which this mysterious Eastern organization of
which Inspector Weymouth speaks, could profit by the death of Sir
Baldwin."
Nayland
Smith suddenly turned and stared grimly at the speaker.
"I
call it death," he said harshly, "to be carried off to the
interior of China, to be made a mere slave, having no will but the
great and evil man who already – already, mark you! – has
actually accomplished such things."
"But
Sir Baldwin –"
"Sir
Baldwin Frazer," snapped Smith, "is the undisputed head of
his particular branch of surgery. Dr. Fu-Manchu may have what he
deems useful employment for such skill as his. But," glancing at
the clock, "we are wasting time. Your story, Mr. Logan."
"It
was about half-past twelve last night," began the secretary,
closing his eyes as if he were concentrating his mind upon certain
past events, "when a woman came here and inquired for Sir
Baldwin. The butler informed her that Sir Baldwin was entertaining
friends and that he could receive no professional visitors until the
morning. She was so insistent, however, absolutely declining to go
away, that I was sent for – I have rooms in the house – and I
came down to interview her in the library."
"Be
very accurate, Mr. Logan," interrupted Smith, "in your
description of this visitor."
"I
shall do my best," pursued Logan, closing his eyes again in
concentrated thought. "She wore evening dress, of a fantastic
kind, markedly Oriental in character, and had large gold rings in her
ears. A green embroidered shawl, with raised figures of white birds
as a design, took the place of a cloak. It was certainly of Eastern
workmanship, possibly Arab; and she wore it about her shoulders with
one corner thrown over her head – again, something like a burnous.
She was extremely dark, had jet-black, frizzy hair and very
remarkable eyes, the finest of their type I have ever seen. She
possessed beauty of a sort, of course, but without being exactly
vulgar, it was what I may term ostentatious; and as I entered
the library I found myself at a loss to define her exact place in
society – you understand what I mean?"
We
all nodded comprehendingly and awaited with intense interest the
resumption of the story. Mr. Logan had vividly described the Eurasian
Zarmi, the creature of Dr. Fu-Manchu.
"When
the woman addressed me," he continued, "my surmise that she
was some kind of half-caste, probably a Eurasian, was confirmed by
her broken English. I shall not be misunderstood" – a slight
embarrassment became perceptible in his manner – "if I say
that the visitor quite openly tried to bewitch me; and since we are
all human, you will perhaps condone my conduct when I add that she
succeeded, in a measure, inasmuch as I consented to speak to Sir
Baldwin, although he was actually playing bridge at the time.
"Either
my eloquence, or, to put it bluntly, the extraordinary fee which the
woman offered, resulted in Sir Baldwin's agreeing to abandon his
friends and accompany the visitor in a cab which was waiting to see
the patient."
"And
who was the patient?" rapped Smith.
"According
to the woman's account, the patient was her mother, who had met with
a street accident a week before. She gave the name of the consultant
who had been called in, and who, she stated, had advised the opinion
of Sir Baldwin. She represented that the matter was urgent, and that
it might be necessary to perform an operation immediately in order to
save the patient's life."
"But
surely," I interrupted, in surprise, "Sir Baldwin did not
take his instruments?"
"He
took his case with him – yes," replied Logan; "for he in
turn yielded to the appeals of the visitor. The very last words that
I heard him speak as he left the house were to assure her that no
such operation could be undertaken at such short notice in that way."
Logan
paused, looking around at us a little wearily.
"And
what aroused your suspicions?" said Smith.
"My
suspicions were aroused at the very moment of Sir Baldwin's
departure, for as I came out onto the steps with him I noticed a
singular thing."
"And
that was?" snapped Smith.
"Directly
Sir Baldwin had entered the cab the woman got out," replied
Logan with some excitement in his manner, "and reclosing the
door took her seat beside the driver of the vehicle – which
immediately moved off."
Nayland
Smith glanced significantly at me.
"The
cab trick again, Petrie!" he said; "scarcely a doubt of
it." Then, to Logan: "Anything else?"
"This,"
replied the secretary: "I thought, although I could not be sure,
that the face of Sir Baldwin peered out of the window for a moment as
the cab moved away from the house, and that there was strange
expression upon it, almost a look of horror. But of course as there
was no light in the cab and the only illumination was that from the
open door, I could not be sure."
"And
now tell Mr. Smith," said Weymouth, "how you got
confirmation of your fears."
"I
felt very uneasy in my mind," continued Logan, "for the
whole thing was so irregular, and I could not rid my memory of the
idea of Sir Baldwin's face looking out from the cab window. Therefore
I rang up the consultant whose name our visitor had mentioned."
"Yes?"
cried Smith eagerly.
"He
knew nothing whatever of the matter," said Logan, "and had
no such case upon his books! That of course put me in a dreadful
state of mind, but I was naturally anxious to avoid making a fool of
myself and therefore I waited for some hours before mentioning my
suspicions to any one. But when the morning came and no message was
received I determined to communicate with Scotland Yard. The rest of
the mystery it is for you, gentlemen, to unravel."
CHAPTER
XVI
I
TRACK ZARMI
"What
does it mean?" said Nayland Smith wearily, looking at me through
the haze of tobacco smoke which lay between us. "A well-known
man like Sir Baldwin Frazer is decoyed away – undoubtedly by the
woman Zarmi; and up to the present moment not so much as a trace of
him can be found. It is mortifying to think that with all the
facilities of New Scotland Yard at our disposal we cannot trace that
damnable cab! We cannot find the headquarters of the group – we
cannot move! To sit here inactive whilst Sir Baldwin
Frazer–God knows for what purpose! – is perhaps being smuggled
out of the country, is maddening – maddening!"
Then,
glancing quickly across to me: "To think ..."
I
rose from my chair, head averted. A tragedy had befallen me which
completely overshadowed all other affairs, great and small. Indeed,
its poignancy was not yet come to its most acute stage; the news was
too recent for that. It had numbed my mind; dulled the pulsing life
within me.
The
s.s. Nicobar, of the Oriental Navigation Line, had arrived at
Tilbury at the scheduled time. My heart leaping joyously in my bosom,
I had hurried on board to meet Karamaneh ...
I
have sustained some cruel blows in my life; but I can state with
candor that this which now befell me was by far the greatest and the
most crushing I had ever been called upon to bear; a calamity
dwarfing all others which I could imagine.
She
had left the ship at Southampton – and had vanished completely.
"Poor
old Petrie," said Smith, and clapped his hands upon my shoulders
in his impulsive sympathetic way. "Don't give up hope! We are
not going to be beaten!"
"Smith,"
I interrupted bitterly, "what chance have we? We know no more
than a child unborn where these people have their hiding-place, and
we haven't a shadow of a clue to guide us to it."
His
hands resting upon my shoulders and his gray eyes looking straightly
into mine.
"I
can only repeat, old man," said my friend, "don't abandon
hope. I must leave you for an hour or so, and, when I return,
possibly I may have some news."
For
long enough after Smith's departure I sat there, companioned only by
wretched reflections; then, further inaction seemed impossible; to
move, to be up and doing, to be seeking, questing, became an
imperative necessity. Muffled in a heavy traveling coat I went out
into the wet and dismal night, having no other plan in mind than that
of walking on through the rain-swept streets, on and always on, in an
attempt, vain enough, to escape from the deadly thoughts that pursued
me.
Without
having the slightest idea that I had done so, I must have walked
along the Strand, crossed Trafalgar Square, proceeded up the
Haymarket to Piccadilly Circus, and commenced to trudge along at the
Oriental rugs displayed in Messrs. Liberty's window, when an incident
aroused me from the apathy of sorrow in which I was sunken.
"Tell
the cab feller to drive to the north side of Wandsworth Common,"
said a woman's voice – a voice speaking in broken English, a voice
which electrified me, had me alert and watchful in a moment.
I
turned, as the speaker, entering a taxi-cab that was drawn up by the
pavement, gave these directions to the door-porter, who with open
umbrella was in attendance. Just one glimpse I had of her as she
stepped into the cab, but it was sufficient. Indeed, the voice had
been sufficient; but that sinuous shape and that lithe swaying
movement of the hips removed all doubt.
It
was Zarmi!
As
the cab moved off I ran out into the middle of the road, where there
was a rank, and sprang into the first taxi waiting there.
"Follow
the cab ahead!" I cried to the man, my voice quivering with
excitement. "Look! you can see the number! There can be no
mistake. But don't lose it for your life! It's worth a sovereign to
you!"
The
man, warming to my mood, cranked his engine rapidly and sprang to the
wheel. I was wild with excitement now, and fearful lest the cab ahead
should have disappeared; but fortune seemingly was with me for once,
and I was not twenty yards behind when Zarmi's cab turned the first
corner ahead. Through the gloomy street, which appeared to be
populated solely by streaming umbrellas, we went. I could scarcely
keep my seat; every nerve in my body seemed to be dancing –
twitching. Eternally I was peering ahead; and when, leaving the
well-lighted West End thoroughfares, we came to the comparatively
gloomy streets of the suburbs, a hundred times I thought we had lost
the track. But always
in
the pool of light cast by some friendly lamp, I would see the quarry
again speeding on before us.
At
a lonely spot bordering the common the vehicle which contained Zarmi
stopped. I snatched up the speaking-tube.
"Drive
on," I cried, "and pull up somewhere beyond! Not too far!"
The
man obeyed, and presently I found myself standing in what was now
become a steady downpour, looking back at the headlights of the other
cab. I gave the driver his promised reward.
"Wait
for ten minutes," I directed; "then if I have not returned,
you need wait no longer."
I
strode along the muddy, unpaved path, to the spot where the cab, now
discharged, was being slowly backed away into the road. The figure of
Zarmi, unmistakable by reason of the lithe carriage, was crossing in
the direction of a path which seemingly led across the common. I
followed at a discreet distance. Realizing the tremendous
potentialities of this rencontre I seemed to rise to the occasion; my
brain became alert and clear; every faculty was at its brightest. And
I felt serenely confident of my ability to make the most of the
situation.
Zarmi
went on and on along the lonely path. Not another pedestrian was in
sight, and the rain walled in the pair of us. Where comfort-loving
humanity sought shelter from the inclement weather, we two moved out
there in the storm, linked by a common enmity.
I
have said that my every faculty was keen, and have spoken of my
confidence in my own alertness. My condition, as a matter of fact,
must have been otherwise, and this belief in my powers merely
symptomatic of the fever which consumed me; for, as I was to learn, I
had failed to take the first elementary precaution necessary in such
case. I, who tracked another, had not counted upon being tracked
myself! ...
A
bag or sack, reeking of some sickly perfume, was dropped silently,
accurately, over my head from behind; it was drawn closely about my
throat. One muffled shriek, strangely compound of fear and
execration, I uttered. I was stifling, choking ... I staggered–and
fell ...
CHAPTER
XVII
I
MEET DR. FU-MANCHU
My
next impression was of a splitting headache, which, as memory
remounted its throne, brought up a train of recollections. I found
myself to be seated upon a heavy wooden bench set flat against a
wall, which was covered with a kind of straw matting. My hands were
firmly tied behind me. In the first agony of that reawakening I
became aware of two things.
I
was in an operating-room, for the most conspicuous item of its
furniture was an operating-table! Shaded lamps were suspended above
it; and instruments, antiseptics, dressings, etc., were arranged upon
a glass-topped table beside it. Secondly, I had a companion.
Seated
upon a similar bench on the other side of the room, was a heavily
built man, his dark hair splashed with gray, as were his short,
neatly trimmed beard and mustache. He, too, was pinioned; and he
stared across the table with a glare in which a sort of stupefied
wonderment predominated, but which was not free from terror.
It
was Sir Baldwin Frazer!
"Sir
Baldwin!" I muttered, moistening my parched lips with my tongue
– "Sir Baldwin! – how –"
"It
is Dr. Petrie, is it not?" he said, his voice husky with
emotion. "Dr. Petrie! – my dear sir, in mercy tell me – what
does this mean? I have been kidnaped – drugged; made the victim of
an inconceivable outrage at the very door of my own house ..."
I
stood up unsteadily.
"Sir
Baldwin," I interrupted, "you ask me what it means. It
means that we are in the hands of Dr. Fu-Manchu!"
Sir
Baldwin stared at me wildly; his face was white and drawn with
anxiety.
"Dr.
Fu-Manchu!" he said; "but my dear sir, this name conveys
nothing to me – nothing!" His manner momentarily was growing
more distrait. "Since my captivity began I have been given the
use of a singular suite of rooms in this place, and received, I must
confess, every possible attention. I have been waited upon by the
she-devil who lured me here, but not one word other than a species of
coarse badinage has she spoken to me. At times I have been tempted to
believe that the fate which frequently befalls the specialist had
befallen me? You understand?"
"I
quite understand," I replied dully. "There have been times
in the past when I, too, have doubted my sanity in my dealings with
the group who now hold us in their power."
"But,"
reiterated the other, his voice rising higher and higher, "what
does it mean, my dear sir? It is incredible – fantastic! Even now I
find it difficult to disabuse my mind of that old, haunting idea."
"Disabuse
it at once, Sir Baldwin," I said bitterly. "The facts are
as you see them; the explanation, at any rate in your own case, is
quite beyond me. I was tracked ..."
"Hush!
some one is coming!"
We
both turned and stared at an opening before which hung a sort of
gaudily embroidered mat, as the sound of dragging footsteps,
accompanied by a heavy tapping, announced the approach of someone.
The
mat was pulled aside by Zarmi. She turned her head, flashing around
the apartment a glance of her black eyes, then held the drapery aside
to admit the entrance of another ...
Supporting
himself by the aid of two heavy walking sticks and painfully dragging
his gaunt frame along, Dr. Fu-Manchu entered!
I
think I have never experienced in my life a sensation identical to
that which now possessed me. Although Nayland Smith had declared that
Fu-Manchu was alive, yet I would have sworn upon oath before any jury
summonable that he was dead; for with my own eyes I had seen the
bullet enter his skull. Now, whilst I crouched against the
matting-covered wall, teeth tightly clenched and my very hair
quivering upon my scalp, he dragged himself laboriously across the
room, the sticks going tap–tap–tap upon the floor, and the
tall body, enveloped in a yellow robe, bent grotesquely, gruesomely,
with every effort which he made. He wore a surgical bandage about his
skull and its presence seemed to accentuate the height of the great
domelike brow, to throw into more evil prominence the wonderful,
Satanic countenance of the man. His filmed eyes turning to right and
left, he dragged himself to a wooden chair that stood beside the
operating-table and sank down upon it, breathing sibilantly,
exhaustedly.
Zarmi
dropped the curtain and stood before it. She had discarded the
dripping overall which she had been wearing when I had followed her
across the common, and now stood before me with her black, frizzy
hair unconfined and her beautiful, wicked face uplifted in a sort of
cynical triumph. The big gold rings in her ears glittered strangely
in the light of the electric lamps. She wore a garment which looked
like a silken shawl wrapped about her in a wildly picturesque
fashion, and, her hands upon her hips, leant back against the curtain
glancing defiantly from Sir Baldwin to myself.
Those
moments of silence which followed the entrance of the Chinese Doctor
live in my memory and must live there for ever. Only the labored
breathing of Fu-Manchu disturbed the stillness of the place. Not a
sound penetrated to the room, no one uttered a word; then –
"Sir
Baldwin Frazer." began Fu-Manchu in that indescribable voice,
alternating between the sibilant and the guttural, "you were
promised a certain fee for your services by my servant who summoned
you. It shall be paid and the gift of my personal gratitude be added
to it."
He
turned himself with difficulty to address Sir Baldwin; and it became
apparent to me that he was almost completely paralyzed down one side
of his body. Some little use he could make of his hand and arm, for
he still clutched the heavy carven stick, but the right side of his
face was completely immobile; and rarely had I seen anything more
ghastly than the effect produced upon that wonderful, Satanic
countenance. The mouth, from the center of the thin lips, opened only
to the left, as he spoke; in a word, seen in profile from where I
sat,
or
rather crouched, it was the face of a dead man.
Sir
Baldwin Frazer uttered no word, but, crouching upon the bench even as
I crouched, stared – horror written upon every lineament – at Dr.
Fu-Manchu. The latter continued: –
"Your
experience, Sir Baldwin, will enable you readily to diagnose my
symptoms. Owing to the passage of a bullet along a portion of the
third left frontal into the postero-parietal convolution – upon
which, from its lodgment in the skull, it continues to press –
hemiplegia ofthe right side has supervened. Aphasia is present also
..."
The
effort of speech was ghastly. Beads of perspiration dewed Fu-Manchu's
brow, and I marveled at the iron will of the man, whereby alone he
forced his half-numbed brain to perform its function. He seemed to
select his words elaborately and by this monstrous effort
of
will to compel his partially paralyzed tongue to utter them. Some of
the syllables were slurred; but nevertheless distinguishable. It was
a demonstration of sheer Force unlike any I had witnessed, and
it impressed me unforgettably.
"The
removal of this injurious particle," he continued, "would
be an operation which I myself could undertake to perform
successfully upon another. It is a matter of some delicacy as you,
Sir Baldwin, and" – slowly, horribly, turning the half-dead
and half-living head towards me – "you, Dr. Petrie, will
appreciate. In the event of clumsy surgery, death may supervene;
failing this, permanent hemiplegia – or" – the film lifted
from the green eyes, and for a moment they flickered with transient
horror – "idiocy! Any one of three of my pupils whom I might
name could perform this operation with ease, but their services are
not available. Only one English surgeon occurred to me in this
connection, and you, Sir Baldwin" – again he slowly turned his
head – "were he. Dr. Petrie will act as anaesthetist, and,
your duties completed, you shall return to your home richer by the
amount stipulated. I have suitably prepared myself for the operation,
and I can assure you of the soundness of my heart. I may advise you,
Dr. Petrie"– again turning to me – "that my
constitution is inured to the use of opium. You will make due
allowance for this. Mr. Li-King-Su, a graduate of Canton, will act as
dresser."
He
turned laboriously to Zarmi. She clapped her hands and held the
curtain aside. A perfectly immobile Chinaman, whose age I was unable
to guess, and who wore a white overall, entered, bowed composedly to
Frazer and myself and began in a matter-of-fact way to prepare the
dressings.
CHAPTER
XVIII
QUEEN
OF HEARTS
"Sir
Baldwin Frazer," said Fu-Manchu, interrupting a wild outburst
from the former, "your refusal is dictated by insufficient
knowledge of your surroundings. You find yourself in a place strange
to you, a place to which no clue can lead your friends; in the
absolute power of a man – myself – who knows no law other than
his own and that of those associated with him. Virtually, Sir
Baldwin, you stand in China; and in China we know how to exact
obedience. You will not refuse, for Dr. Petrie will tell you
something of my wire-jackets and my files ..."
I
saw Sir Baldwin Frazer blanch. He could not know what I knew of the
significance of those words – "my wire-jackets, my files"
– but perhaps something of my own horror communicated itself to
him.
"You
will not refuse," continued Fu-Manchu softly; "my
only fear for you is that the operation may prove unsuccessful! In
that event not even my own great clemency could save you, for by
virtue of your failure I should be powerless to intervene." He
paused for some moments, staring directly at the surgeon. "There
are those within sound of my voice," he added sibilantly, "who
would flay you alive in the lamentable event of your failure, who
would cast your flayed body" – he paused, waving one quivering
fist above his head, "to the
rats
– to the rats!"
Sir
Baldwin's forehead was bathed in perspiration now. It was an
incredible and a gruesome situation, a nightmare become reality. But,
whatever my own case, I could see that Sir Baldwin Frazer was
convinced, I could see that his consent would no longer be withheld.
"You,
my dear friend," said Fu-Manchu, turning to me and resuming his
studied and painful composure of manner, "will also consent ..."
Within
my heart of hearts I could not doubt him; I knew that my courage was
not of a quality high enough to sustain the frightful ordeals
summoned up before my imagination by those words – "my files,
my wire-jackets!"
"In
the event, however, of any little obstinancy," he added,
"another will plead with you."
A
chill like that of death descended upon me – as, for the second
time, Zarmi clapped her hands, pulled the curtain aside ... and
Karamaneh was thrust into the room!
******
There
comes a blank in my recollections. Long after Karamaneh had been
plucked out again by the two muscular brown hands which clutched her
shoulders from the darkness beyond the doorway, I seemed to see her
standing there, in her close-fitting traveling dress. Her hair
was
unbound, disheveled, her lovely face pale to the lips – and her
eyes, her glorious, terror-bright eyes, looked fully into mine ...
Not
a word did she utter, and I was stricken dumb as one who has plucked
the Flower of Silence. Only those wondrous eyes seemed to look into
my soul, searing, consuming me.
Fu-Manchu
had been speaking for some time ere my brain began again to record
his words.
"–
and this magnanimity," came dully to my ears, "extends to
you, Dr. Petrie, because of my esteem. I have little cause to love
Karamaneh" – his voice quivered furiously – "but she
can yet be of use to me, and I would not harm a hair of her beautiful
head – except in the event of your obstinacy. Shall we then
determine your immediate future upon the turn of a card, as the
gamester within me, within every one of my race, suggests?
"Yes,
yes!" came hoarsely.
I
fought mentally to restore myself to a full knowledge of what was
happening, and I realized that the last words had come from the lips
of Sir Baldwin Frazer.
"Dr.
Petrie," Frazer said, still in the same hoarse and unnatural
voice, "what else can we do? At least take the chance of
recovering your freedom, for how otherwise can you hope to serve–your
friend ..."
"God
knows!" I said dully; "do as you wish" – and cared
not to what I had agreed.
Plunging
his hand beneath his white overall, the Chinaman who had been
referred to as Li-King-Su calmly produced a pack of cards,
unemotionally shuffled them and extended the pack to me.
I
shook my head grimly, for my hands were tied. Picking up a lancet
from the table, the Chinaman cut the cords which bound me, and again
extended the pack. I took a card and laid it on my knee without even
glancing at it. Fu-Manchu, with his left hand, in turn selected a
card, looked at it and then turned its face towards me.
"It
would seem, Dr. Petrie," he said calmly, "that you are
fated to remain here as my guest. You will have the felicity of
residing beneath the same roof with Karamaneh."
The
card was the Knave of Diamonds.
Conscious
of a sudden excitement, I snatched up the card from my knee. It was
the Queen of Hearts! For a moment I tasted exultation, then I tossed
it upon the floor. I was not fool enough to suppose that the Chinese
Doctor would pay his debt of honor and release me.
"Your
star above mine," said Fu-Manchu, his calm unruffled. "I
place myself in your hands, Sir Baldwin."
Assisted
by his unemotional compatriot, Fu-Manchu discarded the yellow robe,
revealing himself in a white singlet in all his gaunt ugliness, and
extended his frame upon the operating-table.
Li-King-Su
ignited the large lamp over the head of the table, and from his case
took out a trephine.
******
"Other
points for your guidance from my own considerable store of
experience" – Fu-Manchu was speaking – "are written out
clearly in the notebook which lies upon the table ..."
His
voice, now, was toneless, emotionless, as though his part in the
critical operation about to be performed were that of a spectator. No
trace of nervousness, of fear, could I discern; his pulse was
practically normal.
How
I shuddered as I touched his yellow skin! how my very soul rose up in
revolt! ...
******
"There
is the bullet! – quick! ... Steady, Petrie!"
Sir
Baldwin Frazer, keen, cool, deft, was metamorphosed, was the
enthusiastic, brilliant surgeon whom I knew and revered, and another
than the nerveless captive who, but a few minutes ago, had stared,
panic-stricken, at Dr. Fu-Manchu.
Although
I had met him once or twice professionally, I had never hitherto seen
him operate; and his method was little short of miraculous. It was
stimulating, inspiring. With unerring touch he whittled madness,
death, from the very throne of reason, of life.
Now
was the crucial moment of his task ... and, with its coming, every
light in the room suddenly failed – went out!
"My
God!" whispered Frazer, in the darkness, "quick! quick!
lights! a match! – a candle! – something, anything!"
There
came a faint click, and a beam of white light was directed, steadily,
upon the patient's skull. Li-King-Su – unmoved – held an electric
torch in his hand!
Frazer
and I set to work, in a fierce battle to fend off Death, who already
outstretched his pinions over the insensible man – to fend off
Death from the arch-murderer, the enemy of the white races, who lay
there at our mercy! ...
******
"It
seems you want a pick-me-up!" said Zarmi. Sir Baldwin Frazer
collapsed into the cane arm-chair. Only a matting curtain separated
us from the room wherein he had successfully performed perhaps the
most wonderful operation of his career.
"I
could not have lasted out another thirty seconds, Petrie!" he
whispered. "The events which led up to it had exhausted my
nerves and I had no reserve to call upon. If that last ..."
He
broke off, the sentence uncompleted, and eagerly seized the tumbler
containing brandy and soda, which the beautiful, wicked-eyed Eurasian
passed to him. She turned, and prepared a drink for me, with the
insolent insouciance which had never deserted her.
I
emptied the tumbler at a draught.
Even
as I set the glass down I realized, too late, that it was the first
drink I had ever permitted to pass my lips within an abode of Dr.
Fu-Manchu ...
I
started to my feet.
"Frazer!"
I muttered – "we've been drugged! We ..."
"You
sit down," came Zarmi's husky voice, and I felt her hands upon
my breast, pushing me back into my seat. "You very tired ... you
go to sleep ..."
******
"Petrie!
Dr. Petrie!"
The
words broke in through the curtain of unconsciousness. I strove to
arouse myself. I felt cold and wet. I opened my eyes – and the
world seemed to be swimming dizzily about me. Then a hand grasped my
arm, roughly.
"Brace
up! Brace up, Petrie – and thank God you are alive!"
I
was sitting beside Sir Baldwin Frazer on a wooden bench, under a
leafless tree, from the ghostly limbs whereof rain trickled down upon
me! In the gray light, which, I thought, must be the light of dawn, I
discerned other trees about us and an open expanse, tree-dotted,
stretching into the misty grayness.
"Where
are we?" I muttered – "where ..."
"Unless
I am greatly mistaken," replied my bedraggled companion, "and
I don't think I am, for I attended a consultation in this
neighborhood less than a week ago, we somewhere on the west side of
Wandsworth Common!"
He
ceased speaking; then uttered a suppressed cry. There came a jangling
of coins, and dimly I saw him to be staring at a canvas bag of money
which he held.
"Merciful
heavens!" he said, "am I mad – or did I really
perform that operation? And can this be my fee?"
I
laughed loudly, wildly, plunging my wet, cold hands into the pockets
of my rain-soaked overcoat. In one of them, my fingers came in
contact with a piece of cardboard. It had an unfamiliar feel, and I
pulled it out, peering at it in the dim light.
"Well,
I'm damned!" muttered Frazer – "then I'm not mad, after
all!"
It
was the Queen of Hearts!
CHAPTER
XIX
"ZAGAZIG"
Fully
two weeks elapsed ere Nayland Smith's arduous labors at last met with
a slight reward. For a moment, the curtain of mystery surrounding the
Si-Fan was lifted, and we had a glimpse of that organization's
elaborate mechanism. I cannot better commence my relation of the
episodes associated with the Zagazig's cryptogram than from the
moment when I found myself bending over a prostrate form extended
upon the table in the Inspector's room at the River Police Depot. It
was that of a man who looked like a Lascar, who wore an ill-fitting
slop-shop suit of blue, soaked and stained and clinging hideously to
his body. His dank black hair was streaked upon his low brow; and his
face, although it was notable for a sort of evil leer, had assumed in
death another and more dreadful expression.
Asphyxiation
had accounted for his end beyond doubt, but there were marks about
his throat of clutching fingers, his tongue protruded, and the look
in the dead eyes was appalling.
"He
was amongst the piles upholding the old wharf at the back of the
Joy-Shop?" said Smith tersely, turning to the police officer in
charge.
"Exactly"
was the reply. "The in-coming tide had jammed him right up under
a cross-beam."
"What
time was that?'
"Well,
at high tide last night. Hewson, returning with the ten o'clock boat,
noticed the moonlight glittering upon the knife."
The
knife to which the Inspector referred possessed a long curved blade
of a kind with which I had become terribly familiar in the past. The
dead man still clutched the hilt of the weapon in his right hand, and
it now lay with the blade resting crosswise upon his breast. I stared
in a fascinated way at this mysterious and tragic flotsam of old
Thames.
Glancing
up, I found Nayland Smith's gray eyes watching me.
"You
see the mark, Petrie?" he snapped.
I
nodded. The dead man upon the table was a Burmese dacoit!
"What
do you make of it?" I said slowly.
"At
the moment," replied Smith, "I scarcely know what to make
of it. You are agreed with the divisional surgeon that the man –
unquestionably a dacoit – died, not from drowning, but from
strangulation. From evidence we have heard, it would appear that the
encounter which resulted in the body being hurled in the river,
actually took place upon the wharf-end beneath which he was found.
And we know that a place formerly used by the Si-Fan group – in
other words, by Dr. Fu-Manchu – adjoins the wharf. I am tempted to
believe that this" – he nodded towards the ghastly and
sinister object upon the table – "was a servant of the Chinese
Doctor. In other words, we see before us one whom Fu-Manchu has
rebuked for some shortcoming."
I
shuddered coldly. Familiar as I should have been with the methods of
the dread Chinaman, with his callous disregard of human suffering, of
human life, of human law, I could not reconcile my ideas – the
ideas of a modern, ordinary middle-class practitioner–with these
Far Eastern devilries which were taking place in London.
Even
now I sometimes found myself doubting the reality of the whole thing;
found myself reviewing the history of the Eastern doctor and of the
horrible group of murderers surrounding him, with an incredulity
almost unbelievable in one who had been actually in contact not only
with the servants of the Chinaman, but with the sinister Fu-Manchu
himself. Then, to restore me to grips with reality, would come the
thought of Karamaneh, of the beautiful girl whose love had brought me
seemingly endless sorrow and whose love for me had brought her once
again into the power of that mysterious, implacable being.
This
thought was enough. With its coming, fantasy vanished; and I knew
that the dead dacoit, his great curved knife yet clutched in his
hand, the Yellow menace hanging over London, over England, over the
civilized world, the absence, the heart-breaking absence, of
Karamaneh
– all were real, all were true, all were part of my life.
Nayland
Smith was standing staring vaguely before him and tugging at the lobe
of his left ear.
"Come
along!" he snapped suddenly. "We have no more to learn
here: the clue to the mystery must be sought elsewhere."
There
was that in his manner whereby I knew that his thoughts were far
away, as we filed out from the River Police Depot to the cab which
awaited us. Pulling from his overcoat pocket a copy of a daily paper
– "Have you seen this, Weymouth?" he demanded.
With
a long, nervous index finger he indicated a paragraph on the front
page which appeared under the heading of "Personal."
Weymouth bent frowningly over the paper, holding it close to his
eyes, for this was a gloomy morning and the light in the cab was
poor.
"Such
things don't enter into my sphere, Mr. Smith," he replied, "but
no doubt the proper department at the Yard have seen it."
"I
know they have seen it!" snapped Smith; "but they have also
been unable to read it!"
Weymouth
looked up in surprise.
"Indeed,"
he said. "You are interested in this, then?"
"Very!
Have you any suggestion to offer respecting it?"
Moving
from my seat I, also, bent over the paper and read, in growing
astonishment, the following: –
ZAGAZIG-Z,-a-g-a;-z:-_I_-g,a,-a,ag-_a_,z;-
I;-g:z-a-g-A-z;i-:g;-Z,,-a;-gg-_-z-i;-
G;-z-,a-g-:a-Z__I_;-g:-z-a-g;-a-:Z-,i-g:
z,a-g,-a:z,i-g.
"This
is utterly incomprehensible! It can be nothing but some foolish
practical joke! It consists merely of the word 'Zagazig' repeated six
or seven times – which can have no possible significance!"
"Can't
it!" snapped Smith.
"Well,"
I said, "what has Zagazig to do with Fu-Manchu, or to do with
us?"
"Zagazig,
my dear Petrie, is a very unsavory Arab town in Lower Egypt, as you
know!"
He
returned the paper to the pocket of his over-coat, and, noting my
bewildered glance, burst into one of his sudden laughs.
"You
think I am talking nonsense," he said; "but, as a matter of
fact, that message in the paper has been puzzling me since it
appeared – yesterday morning – and at last I think I see the
light."
He
pulled out his pipe and began rapidly to load it.
"I
have been growing careless of late, Petrie," he continued; and
no hint of merriment remained in his voice. His gaunt face was drawn
grimly, and his eyes glittered like steel. "In future I must
avoid going out alone at night as much as possible."
Inspector
Weymouth was staring at Smith in a puzzled way; and certainly I was
every whit as mystified as he.
"I
am disposed to believe," said my friend, in his rapid, incisive
way, "that the dacoit met his end at the hands of a tall man,
possibly dark and almost certainly clean-shaven. If this missing
personage wears, on chilly nights, a long tweed traveling coat and
affects soft gray hats of the Stetson pattern, I shall not be
surprised."
Weymouth
stared at me in frank bewilderment.
"By
the way, Inspector," added Smith, a sudden gleam of inspiration
entering his keen eyes – "did I not see that the s.s. Andaman
arrived recently?"
"The
Oriental Navigation Company's boat?" inquired Weymouth in a
hopeless tone. "Yes. She docked yesterday evening."
"If
Jack Forsyth is still chief officer, I shall look him up,"
declared Smith. "You recall his brother, Petrie?"
"Naturally;
since he was done to death in my presence," I replied; for the
words awoke memories of one of Dr. Fu-Manchu's most ghastly crimes,
always associated in my mind with the cry of a night-hawk.
"The
divine afflatus should never be neglected," announced Nayland
Smith didactically, "wild though its promptings may seem."
CHAPTER
XX
THE
NOTE ON THE DOOR
I
saw little of Nayland Smith for the remainder of that day. Presumably
he was following those "promptings" to which he had
referred, though I was unable to conjecture whither they were leading
him. Then, towards dusk he arrived in a perfect whirl, figuratively
sweeping me off my feet.
"Get
your coat on, Petrie!" he cried; "you forget that we have a
most urgent appointment!"
Beyond
doubt I had forgotten that we had any appointment whatever that
evening, and some surprise must have shown upon my face, for –
"Really
you are becoming very forgetful!" my friend continued. "You
know we can no longer trust the 'phone. I have to leave certain
instructions for Weymouth at the rendezvous!"
There
was a hidden significance in his manner, and, my memory harking back
to an adventure which we had shared in the past, I suddenly glimpsed
the depths of my own stupidity.
He
suspected the presence of an eavesdropper! Yes! incredible though it
might appear, we were spied upon in the New Louvre; agents of the
Si-Fan, of Dr. Fu-Manchu, were actually within the walls of the great
hotel!
We
hurried out into the corridor, and descended by the lift to the
lobby. M. Samarkan, long famous as _maitre d'hotel_ of one of Cairo's
fashionable khans, and now principal of the New Louvre,
greeted us with true Greek courtesy. He trusted that we should be
present at some charitable function or other to be held at the hotel
on the following evening.
"If
possible, M. Samarkan – if possible," said Smith. "We
have many demands upon our time." Then, abruptly, to me: "Come,
Petrie, we will walk as far as Charing Cross and take a cab from the
rank there."
"The
hall-porter can call you a cab," said M. Samarkan, solicitous
for the comfort of his guests.
"Thanks,"
snapped Smith; "we prefer to walk a little way."
Passing
along the Strand, he took my arm, and speaking close to my ear –
"That
place is alive with spies, Petrie," he said; "or if there
are only a few of them they are remarkably efficient!"
Not
another word could I get from him, although I was eager enough to
talk; since one dearer to me than all else in the world was in the
hands of the damnable organization we knew as the Si-Fan; until,
arrived at Charing Cross, he walked out to the cab rank, and –
"Jump
in!" he snapped.
He
opened the door of the first cab on the rank.
"Drive
to J– Street, Kennington," he directed the man.
In
something of a mental stupor I entered and found myself seated beside
Smith. The cab made off towards Trafalgar Square, then swung around
into Whitehall.
"Look
behind!" cried Smith, intense excitement expressed in his voice
– "look behind!"
I
turned and peered through the little square window.
The
cab which had stood second upon the rank was closely following us!
"We
are tracked!" snapped my companion. "If further evidence
were necessary of the fact that our every movement is watched, here
it is!"
I
turned to him, momentarily at a loss for words; then –
"Was
this the object of our journey?" I said. "Your reference to
a 'rendezvous' was presumably addressed to a hypothetical spy?
"Partly,"
he replied. "I have a plan, as you will see in a moment."
I
looked again from the window in the rear of the cab. We were now
passing between the House of Lords and the back of Westminster Abbey
... and fifty yards behind us the pursuing cab was crossing from
Whitehall! A great excitement grew up within me, and a great
curiosity respecting the identity of our pursuer.
"What
is the place for which we are bound, Smith?" I said rapidly.
"It
is a house which I chanced to notice a few days ago, and I marked it
as useful for such a purpose as our present one. You will see what I
mean when we arrive."
On
we went, following the course of the river, then turned over Vauxhall
Bridge and on down Vauxhall Bridge Road into a very dreary
neighborhood where gasometers formed the notable feature of the
landscape.
"That's
the Oval just beyond," said Smith suddenly, "and – here
we are."
In
a narrow cul de sac which apparently communicated with the
boundary of the famous cricket ground, the cabman pulled up. Smith
jumped out and paid the fare.
"Pull
back to that court with the iron posts," he directed the man,
"and wait there for me." Then: "Come on, Petrie!"
he snapped.
Side
by side we entered the wooden gate of a small detached house, or more
properly cottage, and passed up the tiled path towards a sort of side
entrance which apparently gave access to the tiny garden. At this
moment I became aware of two things; the first, that the house was an
empty one, and the second, that some one – some one who had quitted
the second cab (which I had heard pull up at no great distance behind
us) was approaching stealthily along the dark and uninviting street,
walking upon the opposite pavement and taking advantage of the shadow
of a high wooden fence which skirted it for some distance.
Smith
pushed the gate open, and I found myself in a narrow passageway in
almost complete darkness. But my friend walked confidently forward,
turned the angle of the building and entered the miniature wilderness
which once had been a garden.
"In
here, Petrie!" he whispered.
He
seized me by the arm, pushed open a door and thrust me forward down
two stone steps into absolute darkness.
"Walk
straight ahead!" he directed, still in the same intense whisper,
"and you will find a locked door having a broken panel. Watch
through the opening for any one who may enter the room beyond, but
see that your presence is not detected. Whatever I say or do, don't
stir until I actually rejoin you."
He
stepped back across the floor and was gone. One glimpse I had of him,
silhouetted against the faint light of the open door, then the door
was gently closed, and I was left alone in the empty house.
Smith's
methods frequently surprised me, but always in the past I had found
that they were dictated by sound reasons. I had no doubt that an
emergency unknown to me dictated his present course, but it was with
my mind in a wildly confused condition, that I groped for and found
the door with the broken panel and that I stood there in the complete
darkness of the deserted house listening.
I
can well appreciate how the blind develop an unusually keen sense of
hearing; for there, in the blackness, which (at first) was entirely
unrelieved by any speck of light, I became aware of the fact, by dint
of tense listening, that Smith was retiring by means of some gateway
at the upper end of the little garden, and I became aware of the fact
that a lane or court, with which this gateway communicated, gave
access to the main road.
Faintly,
I heard our discharged cab backing out from the cul de sac;
then, from some nearer place, came Smith's voice speaking loudly.
"Come
along, Petrie!" he cried; "there is no occasion for us to
wait. Weymouth will see the note pinned on the door."
I
started – and was about to stumble back across the room, when, as
my mind began to work more clearly, I realized that the words had
been spoken as a ruse – a favorite device of Nayland Smith's.
Rigidly
I stood there, and continued to listen.
"All
right, cabman!" came more distantly now; "back to the New
Louvre – jump in, Petrie!"
The
cab went rattling away ... as a faint light became perceptible in the
room beyond the broken panel.
Hitherto
I had been able to detect the presence of this panel only by my sense
of touch and by means of a faint draught which blew through it; now
it suddenly became clearly perceptible. I found myself looking into
what was evidently the principal room of the house – a dreary
apartment with tatters of paper hanging from the walls and litter of
all sorts lying about upon the floor and in the rusty fireplace.
Some
one had partly raised the front window and opened the shutters. A
patch of moonlight shone down upon the floor immediately below my
hiding-place and furthermore enabled me vaguely to discern the
disorder of the room.
A
bulky figure showed silhouetted against the dirty panes. It was that
of a man who, leaning upon the window sill, was peering intently in.
Silently he had approached, and silently had raised the sash and
opened the shutters.
For
thirty seconds or more he stood so, moving his head from right to
left ... and I watched him through the broken panel, almost holding
my breath with suspense. Then, fully raising the window, the man
stepped into the room, and, first reclosing the shutters, suddenly
flashed the light of an electric lamp all about the place. I was
enabled to discern him more clearly, this mysterious spy who had
tracked us from the moment that we had left the hotel.
He
was a man of portly build wearing a heavy fur-lined overcoat and
having a soft felt hat, the brim turned down so as to shade the upper
part of his face. Moreover, he wore his fur collar turned up, which
served further to disguise him, since it concealed the greater part
of his chin. But the eyes which now were searching every corner of
the room, the alert, dark eyes, were strangely familiar. The black
mustache, the clear-cut, aquiline nose, confirmed the impression.
Our
follower was M. Samarkan, manager of the New Louvre.
I
suppressed a gasp of astonishment. Small wonder that our plans had
leaked out. This was a momentous discovery indeed.
And
as I watched the portly Greek who was not only one of the most
celebrated maitres d'hotel in Europe, but also a creature of
Dr. Fu-Manchu, he cast the light of his electric lamp upon a note
attached by means of a drawing-pin to the inside of the room door. I
immediately divined that my friend must have pinned the note in its
place earlier in the day; even at that distance I recognized Smith's
neat, illegible writing.
Samarkan
quickly scanned the message scribbled upon the white page; then,
exhibiting an agility uncommon in a man of his bulk, he threw open
the shutters again, having first replaced his lamp in his pocket,
climbed out into the little front garden, reclosed the window, and
disappeared!
A
moment I stood, lost to my surroundings, plunged in a sea of
wonderment concerning the damnable organization which, its tentacles
extending I knew not whither, since new and unexpected limbs were
ever coming to light, sought no less a goal than Yellow dominion of
the world! I reflected how one man – Nayland Smith – alone stood
between this powerful group and the realization of their project ...
when I was aroused by a hand grasping my arm in the darkness!
I
uttered a short cry, of which I was instantly ashamed, for Nayland
Smith's voice came –
"I
startled you, eh, Petrie?"
"Smith,"
I said, "how long have you been standing there?"
"I
only returned in time to see our Fenimore Cooper friend retreating
through the window," he replied; "but no doubt you had a
good look at him?"
"I
had!" I answered eagerly. "It was Samarkan!"
"I
thought so! I have suspected as much for a long time."
"Was
this the object of our visit here?"
"It
was one of the objects," admitted Nayland Smith evasively.
From
some place not far distant came the sound of a restarted engine.
"The
other," he added, "was this: to enable M. Samarkan to read
the note which I had pinned upon the door!"
CHAPTER
XXI
THE
SECOND MESSAGE
"Here
you are, Petrie," said Nayland Smith – and he tossed across
the table the folded copy of a morning paper. "This may assist
you in your study of the first Zagazig message."
I
set down my cup and turned my attention to the "Personal"
column on the front page of the journal. A paragraph appeared therein
conceived as follows:–
ZAGAZIG-_Z_-a-g-_a_;-z:-I:-_g_;z-a,g;-
A-,_z_;_i_:_G_,-z:_a_;_g_-A,z-_i_;-gz
_A_;_g_aZ-_i_;_g_-:a z i g
I
stared across at my friend in extreme bewilderment.
"But,
Smith!" I cried, "these messages are utterly meaningless!"
"Not
at all," he rapped back. "Scotland Yard thought they were
meaningless at first, and I must admit that they suggested nothing to
me for a long time; but the dead dacoit was the clue to the first,
Petrie, and the note pinned upon the door of the house near the Oval
is the clue to the second."
Stupidly
I continued to stare at him until he broke into a grim smile.
"Surely
you understand?" he said. "You remember where the dead
Burman was found?"
"Perfectly."
"You
know the street along which, ordinarily, one would approach the
wharf?"
"Three
Colt Street?"
"Three
Colt Street, exactly. Well, on the night that the Burman met his end
I had an appointment in Three Colt Street with Weymouth. The
appointment was made by 'phone, from the New Louvre! My cab broke
down and I never arrived. I discovered later that Weymouth had
received a telegram purporting to come from me, putting off the
engagement."
"I
am aware of all this!"
Nayland
Smith burst into a loud laugh.
"But
_still_ you are fogged!" he cried. "Then I'm hanged if I'll
pilot you any farther! You have all the facts before you. There lies
the first Zagazig message; here is the second; and you know the
context of the note pinned upon the door? It read, if you remember,
'Remove patrol from Joy-Shop neighborhood. Have a theory. Wish to
visit place alone on Monday night after one o'clock.' "
"Smith,"
I said dully, "I have a heavy stake upon this murderous game."
His
manner changed instantly; the tanned face grew grim and hard, but the
steely eyes softened strangely. He bent over me, clapping his hands
upon my shoulders.
"I
know it, old man," he replied; "and because it may serve to
keep your mind busy during hours when otherwise it would be engaged
with profitless sorrows, I invite you to puzzle out this business for
yourself. You have nothing else to do until late to-night, and you
can work undisturbed, here, at any rate!"
His
words referred to the fact that, without surrendering our suite at
the New Louvre Hotel, we had gone upon a visit, of indefinite
duration, to a mythical friend; and now were quartered in furnished
chambers adjoining Fleet Street.
We
had remained at the New Louvre long enough to secure confirmation of
our belief that a creature of Fu-Manchu spied upon us there; and now
we only awaited the termination of the night's affair to take such
steps as Smith might consider politic in regard to the sardonic Greek
who presided over London's newest and most palatial hotel.
Smith
setting out for New Scotland Yard in order to make certain final
arrangements in connection with the business of the night, I began
closely to study the mysterious Zagazig messages, determined not to
be beaten, and remembering the words of Edgar Allan Poe – the
strange genius to whom we are indebted for the first workable system
of deciphering cryptograms: "It may well be doubted whether
human ingenuity can construct an enigma of the kind which human
ingenuity may not, by proper application, resolve."
The
first conclusion to which I was borne was this: that the letters
comprising the word "Zagazig" were designed merely to
confuse the reader, and might be neglected; since, occurring as they
did in regular sequence, they could possess no significance. I became
quite excited upon making the discovery that the punctuation marks
varied in almost every case!
I
immediately assumed that these constituted the cipher; and, seeking
for my key-letter, e (that which most frequently occurs in the
English language), I found the sign of a full-stop to appear more
frequently than any other in the first message, namely ten times,
although it only occurred thrice in the second. Nevertheless, I was
hopeful ... until I discovered that in two cases it appeared three
times in succession!
There
is no word in English, nor, so far as I am aware, in any language,
where this occurs, either in regard to e or any other letter!
That
unfortunate discovery seemed so wholly to destroy the very theory
upon which I relied, that I almost abandoned my investigation there
and then. Indeed, I doubt if I ever should have proceeded were it not
that by a piece of pure guesswork I blundered on to a clue.
I
observed that certain letters, at irregularly occurring intervals,
were set in capital, and I divided up the message into corresponding
sections, in the hope that the capitals might indicate the
commencements of words. This accomplished, I set out upon a series of
guesses, basing these upon Smith's assurance that the death of the
dacoit afforded a clue to the first message and the note which he
(Smith) had pinned upon the door a clue to the second.
Such
being my system–if I can honor my random attempts with the title –
I take little credit to myself for the fortunate result. In short, I
determined (although e twice occurred where r should
have been!) that the first message from the thirteenth letter,
onwards to the twenty-seventh (_id est:_
_I;_g:-zagAz;i-;_g_;_-Z_,-a;-_g_azi;-)
read:–
_"Three
Colt Street."_
Endeavoring,
now, to eliminate the e where r should appear, I made another
discovery. The presence of a letter in italics altered the
value of the sign which followed it!
From
that point onward the task became child's-play, and I should merely
render this account tedious if I entered into further details. Both
messages commenced with the name "Smith" as I early
perceived, and half an hour of close study gave me the complete
sentences, thus:–
1.
_Smith passing Three Colt Street twelve-thirty Wednesday._
2.
_Smith going Joy-Shop after one Monday._
The
word "Zagazig" was completed, always, and did not
necessarily terminate with the last letter occurring in the
cryptographic message. A subsequent inspection of this curious code
has enabled Nayland
Smith,
by a process of simple deduction, to compile the entire alphabet
employed by Dr. Fu-Manchu's agent, Samarkan, in communicating with
his awful superior. With a little patience, any one of my readers my
achieve the same result (and I should be pleased to hear from those
who succeed!).
This,
then was the outcome of my labors; and although it enlightened me to
some extent, I realized that I still had much to learn.
The
dacoit, apparently, had met his death at the very hour when Nayland
Smith should have been passing along Three Colt Street – a
thoroughfare with an unsavory reputation. Who had killed him?
Tonight,
Samarkan advised the Chinese doctor, Smith would again be in the same
dangerous neighborhood. A strange thrill of excitement swept through
me. I glanced at my watch. Yes! It was time for me to repair,
secretly, to my post. For I, too, had business on the borders of
Chinatown tonight.
CHAPTER
XXII
THE
SECRET OF THE WHARF
I
sat in the evil-smelling little room with its low, blackened ceiling,
and strove to avoid making the slightest noise; but the crazy boards
creaked beneath me with every movement. The moon hung low in an
almost cloudless sky; for, following the spell of damp and foggy
weather, a fall in temperature had taken place, and there was a
frosty snap in the air to-night.
Through
the open window the moonlight poured in and spilled its pure
luminance upon the filthy floor; but I kept religiously within the
shadows, so posted, however, that I could command an uninterrupted
view of the street from the point where it crossed the creek to that
where it terminated at the gates of the deserted wharf.
Above
and below me the crazy building formerly known as the Joy-Shop and
once the nightly resort of the Asiatic riff-raff from the docks –
was silent, save for the squealing and scuffling of the rats. The
melancholy lapping of the water frequently reached my ears, and a
more or less continuous din from the wharves and workshops upon the
further bank of the Thames; but in the narrow, dingy streets
immediately surrounding the house, quietude reigned and no solitary
footstep disturbed it.
Once,
looking down in the direction of the bridge, I gave a great start,
for a black patch of shadow moved swiftly across the path and merged
into the other shadows bordering a high wall. My heart leapt
momentarily, then, in another instant, the explanation of the mystery
became apparent – in the presence of a gaunt and prowling cat.
Bestowing a suspicious glance upward in my direction, the animal
slunk away toward the path bordering the cutting.
By
a devious route amid ghostly gasometers I had crept to my post in the
early dusk, before the moon was risen, and already I was heartily
weary of my passive part in the affair of the night. I had never
before appreciated the multitudinous sounds, all of them weird and
many of them horrible, which are within the compass of those great
black rats who find their way to England with cargoes from Russia and
elsewhere. From the rafters above my head, from the wall recesses
about me, from the floor beneath my feet, proceeded a continuous and
nerve-shattering concert, an unholy symphony which seemingly
accompanied the eternal dance of the rats.
Sometimes
a faint splash from below would tell of one of the revelers taking
the water, but save for the more distant throbbing of riverside
industry, and rarer note of shipping, the mad discords of this rat
saturnalia alone claimed the ear.
The
hour was nigh now, when matters should begin to develop. I followed
the chimes from the clock of some church nearby – I have never
learnt its name; and was conscious of a thrill of excitement when
they warned me that the hour was actually arrived ...
A
strange figure appeared noiselessly, from I knew not where, and stood
fully within view upon the bridge crossing the cutting, peering to
right and left, in an attitude of listening. It was the figure of a
bedraggled old woman, gray-haired, and carrying a large bundle tied
up in what appeared to be a red shawl. Of her face I could see
little, since it was shaded by the brim of her black bonnet, but she
rested her bundle upon the low wall of the bridge, and to my intense
surprise, sat down upon it!
She
evidently intended to remain there.
I
drew back further into the darkness; for the presence of this
singular old woman at such a place, and at that hour, could not well
be accidental. I was convinced that the first actor in the drama had
already taken the stage. Whether I was mistaken or not must shortly
appear.
Crisp
footsteps sounded upon the roadway; distantly, and from my left.
Nearer they approached and nearer. I saw the old woman, in the shadow
of the wall, glance once rapidly in the direction of the approaching
pedestrian. For some occult reason, the chorus of the rats was
stilled. Only that firm and regular tread broke the intimate silence
of the dreary spot.
Now
the pedestrian came within my range of sight. It was Nayland Smith!
He
wore a long tweed overcoat with which I was familiar, and a soft felt
hat, the brim pulled down all around in a fashion characteristic of
him, and probably acquired during the years spent beneath the
merciless sun of Burma. He carried a heavy walking-cane which I knew
to be a formidable weapon that he could wield to good effect. But,
despite the stillness about me, a stillness which had reigned
uninterruptedly (save for the danse macabre of the rats) since
the coming of dusk, some voice within, ignoring these physical
evidences of solitude, spoke urgently of lurking assassins; of
murderous Easterns armed with those curved knives which sometimes
flashed before my eyes in dreams; of a deathly menace which hid in
the shadows about me, in the many shadows cloaking the holes and
corners of the ramshackle building, draping arches, crannies and
portals to which the moonlight could not penetrate.
He
was abreast of the Joy-Shop now, and in sight of the ominous old
witch huddled upon the bridge. He pulled up suddenly and stood
looking at her. Coincident with his doing so, she began to moan and
sway her body to right and left as if in pain; then –
"Kind
gentleman," she whined in a sing-song voice, "thank God you
came this way to help a poor old woman."
"What
is the matter?" said Smith tersely, approaching her.
I
clenched my fists. I could have cried out; I was indeed hard put to
it to refrain from crying out – from warning him. But his
injunctions had been explicit, and I restrained myself by a great
effort, preserving silence and crouching there at the window, but
with every muscle tensed and a desire for action strong upon me.
"I
tripped up on a rough stone, sir," whined the old creature, "and
here I've been sitting waiting for a policeman or someone to help me,
for more than an hour, I have."
Smith
stood looking down at her, his arms behind him, and in one gloved
hand swinging the cane.
"Where
do you live, then?" he asked.
"Not
a hundred steps from here, kind gentleman," she replied in the
monotonous voice; "but I can't move my left foot. It's only just
through the gates yonder."
"What!"
snapped Smith, "on the wharf?"
"They
let me have a room in the old building until it's let," she
explained. "Be helping a poor old woman, and God bless you."
"Come
along, then!"
Stooping,
Smith placed his arm around her shoulders, and assisted her to her
feet. She groaned as if in great pain, but gripped her red bundle,
and leaning heavily upon the supporting arm, hobbled off across the
bridge in the direction of the wharf gates at the end of the lane.
Now
at last a little action became possible, and having seen my friend
push open one of the gates and assist the old woman to enter, I crept
rapidly across the crazy floor, found the doorway, and, with little
noise, for I wore rubber-soled shoes, stole down the stairs into what
had
formerly been the reception-room of the Joy-Shop, the malodorous
sanctum of the old Chinaman, John Ki.
Utter
darkness prevailed there, but momentarily flicking the light of a
pocket-lamp upon the floor before me, I discovered the further steps
that were to be negotiated, and descended into the square yard which
gave access to the path skirting the creek.
The
moonlight drew a sharp line of shadow along the wall of the house
above me, but the yard itself was a well of darkness. I stumbled
under the rotting brick archway, and stepped gingerly upon the muddy
path that I must follow. One hand pressed to the damp wall, I worked
my way cautiously along, for a false step had precipitated me into
the foul water of the creek. In this fashion and still enveloped by
dense shadows, I reached the angle of the building. Then – at risk
of being perceived, for the wharf and the river both were bathed in
moonlight – I peered along to the left ...
Out
onto the paved pathway communicating with the wharf came Smith,
shepherding his tottering charge. I was too far away to hear any
conversation that might take place between the two, but, unless Smith
gave the pre-arranged signal, I must approach no closer. Thus, as one
sees a drama upon the screen, I saw what now occurred – occurred
with dramatic, lightning swiftness.
Releasing
Smith's arm, the old woman suddenly stepped back ... at the instant
that another figure, a repellent figure which approached, stooping,
apish, with a sort of loping gait, crossed from some spot invisible
to me, and sprang like a wild animal upon Smith's back!
It
was a Chinaman, wearing a short loose garment of the smock pattern,
and having his head bare, so that I could see his pigtail coiled upon
his yellow crown. That he carried a cord, I perceived in the instant
of his spring, and that he had whipped it about Smith's throat with
unerring dexterity was evidenced by the one, short, strangled cry
that came from my friend's lips.
Then
Smith was down, prone upon the crazy planking, with the ape-like
figure of the Chinaman perched between his shoulders – bending
forward – the wicked yellow fingers at work, tightening –
tightening – tightening the strangling-cord!
Uttering
a loud cry of horror, I went racing along the gangway which projected
actually over the moving Thames waters, and gained the wharf. But,
swift as I had been, another had been swifter!
A
tall figure (despite the brilliant moon, I doubted the evidence of my
sight), wearing a tweed overcoat and a soft felt hat with the brim
turned down, sprang up, from nowhere as it seemed, swooped upon the
horrible figure squatting, simianesque, between Smith's
shoulder-blades, and grasped him by the neck.
I
pulled up shortly, one foot set upon the wharf. The new-comer was the
double of Nayland Smith!
Seemingly
exerting no effort whatever, he lifted the strangler in that
remorseless grasp, so that the Chinaman's hands, after one quick
convulsive upward movement, hung limply beside him like the paws of a
rat in the grip of a terrier.
"You
damned murderous swine!" I heard in a repressed, savage
undertone. "The knife failed, so now the cord has an innings! Go
after your pal!"
Releasing
one hand from the neck of the limp figure, the speaker grasped the
Chinaman by his loose, smock-like garment, swung him back, once– a
mighty swing– and hurled him far out into the river as one might
hurl a sack of rubbish!
CHAPTER
XXIII
ARREST
OF SAMARKAN
"As
the high gods willed it," explained Nayland Smith, tenderly
massaging his throat, "Mr. Forsyth, having just left the docks,
chanced to pass along Three Colt Street on Wednesday night at exactly
the hour that I was expected! The resemblance between us is
rather marked and the coincidence of dress completed the illusion.
That devilish Eurasian woman, Zarmi, who has escaped us again – of
course you recognized her? – made a very natural mistake. Mr.
Forsyth, however, made no mistake!"
I
glanced at the chief officer of the Andaman, who sat in an
armchair in our new chambers, contentedly smoking a black cheroot.
"Heaven
has blessed me with a pair of useful hands!" said the seaman,
grimly, extending his horny palms. "I've an old score against
those yellow swine; poor George and I were twins."
He
referred to his brother who had been foully done to death by one of
the creatures of Dr. Fu-Manchu.
"It
beats me how Mr. Smith got on the track!" he added.
"Pure
inspiration!" murmured Nayland Smith, glancing aside from the
siphon wherewith he now was busy. "The divine afflatus – and
the same whereby Petrie solved the Zagazig cryptogram!"
"But,"
concluded Forsyth, "I am indebted to you for an opportunity of
meeting the Chinese strangler, and sending him to join the Burmese
knife expert!"
Such,
then, were the episodes that led to the arrest of M. Samarkan, and my
duty as narrator of these strange matters now bears me on to the
morning when Nayland Smith was hastily summoned to the prison into
which the villainous Greek had been cast.
We
were shown immediately into the Governor's room and were invited by
that much disturbed official to be seated. The news which he had to
impart was sufficiently startling.
Samarkan
was dead.
"I
have Warder Morrison's statement here," said Colonel Warrington,
"if you will be good enough to read it –"
Nayland
Smith rose abruptly, and began to pace up and down the little office.
Through the open window I had a glimpse of a stooping figure in
convict garb, engaged in liming the flower-beds of the prison
Governor's garden.
"I
should like to see this Warder Morrison personally," snapped my
friend.
"Very
good," replied the Governor, pressing a bell-push placed close
beside his table.
A
man entered, to stand rigidly at attention just within the doorway.
"Send
Morrison here," ordered Colonel Warrington.
The
man saluted and withdrew. As the door was reclosed, the Colonel sat
drumming his fingers upon the table, Nayland Smith walked restlessly
about tugging at the lobe of his ear, and I absently watched the
convict gardener pursuing his toils. Shortly, sounded a rap at the
door, and –
"Come
in," cried Colonel Warrington.
A
man wearing warder's uniform appeared, saluted the Governor, and
stood glancing uneasily from the Colonel to Smith. The latter had now
ceased his perambulations, and, one elbow resting upon the
mantelpiece, was staring at Morrison – his penetrating gray eyes as
hard as steel. Colonel Warrington twisted his chair around, fixing
his monocle more closely in its place. He had the wiry white mustache
and fiery red face of the old-style Anglo-Indian officer.
"Morrison,"
he said, "Mr. Commissioner Nayland Smith has some questions to
put to you."
The
man's uneasiness palpably was growing by leaps and bounds. He was a
tall and intelligent-looking fellow of military build, though spare
for his height and of an unhealthy complexion. His eyes were
curiously dull, and their pupils interested me, professionally, from
the very moment of his entrance.
"You
were in charge of the prisoner Samarkan?" began Smith harshly.
"Yes,
sir," Morrison replied.
"Were
you the first to learn of his death?"
"I
was, sir. I looked through the grille in the door and saw him lying
on the floor of the cell."
"What
time was it?"
"Half-past
four A.M."
"What
did you do?"
"I
went into the cell and then sent for the head warder."
"You
realized at once that Samarkan was dead?"
"At
once, yes."
"Were
you surprised?"
Nayland
Smith subtly changed the tone of his voice in asking the last
question, and it was evident that the veiled significance of the
words was not lost upon Morrison.
"Well,
sir," he began, and cleared his throat nervously.
"Yes,
or no!" snapped Smith.
Morrison
still hesitated, and I saw his underlip twitch. Nayland Smith, taking
two long strides, stood immediately in front of him, glaring grimly
into his face.
"This
is your chance," he said emphatically; "I shall not give
you another. You had met Samarkan before?"
Morrison
hung his head for a moment, clenching and unclenching his fists; then
he looked up swiftly, and the light of a new resolution was in his
eyes.
"I'll
take the chance, sir," he said, speaking with some emotion, "and
I hope, sir" – turning momentarily to Colonel Warrington –
"that you'll be as lenient as you can; for I didn't know there
was any harm in what I did."
"Don't
expect any leniency from me!" cried the Colonel. "If there
has been a breach of discipline there will be punishment, rely upon
it!"
"I
admit the breach of discipline," pursued the man doggedly; "but
I want to say, here and now, that I've no more idea than anybody else
how the –"
Smith
snapped his fingers irritably.
"The
facts – the facts!" he demanded. "What you don't
know cannot help us!"
"Well,
sir," said Morrison, clearing his throat again, "when the
prisoner, Samarkan, was admitted, and I put him safely into his cell,
he told me that he suffered from heart trouble, that he'd had an
attack when he was arrested and that he thought he was threatened
with another, which might kill him –"
"One
moment," interrupted Smith, "is this confirmed by the
police officer who made the arrest?"
"It
is, sir," replied Colonel Warrington, swinging his chair around
and consulting some papers upon his table. "The prisoner was
overcome by faintness when the officer showed him the warrant and
asked to be given some cognac from the decanter which stood in his
room. This was administered, and he then entered the cab which the
officer had waiting. He was taken to Bow Street, remanded, and
brought here in accordance with someone's instructions."
"My
instructions," said Smith. "Go on, Morrison."
"He
told me," continued Morrison more steadily, "that he
suffered from something that sounded to me like apoplexy."
"Catalepsy!"
I suggested, for I was beginning to see light.
"That's
it, sir! He said he was afraid of being buried alive! He asked me, as
a favor, if he should die in prison to go to a friend of his and get
a syringe with which to inject some stuff that would do away with all
chance of his coming to life again after burial."
"You
had no right to talk to the prisoner!" roared Colonel
Warrington.
"I
know that, sir, but you'll admit that the circumstances were
peculiar. Anyway, he died in the night, sure enough, and from heart
failure, according to the doctor. I managed to get a couple of hours
leave in the evening, and I went and fetched the syringe and a little
tube of yellow stuff."
"Do
you understand, Petrie?" cried Nayland Smith, his eyes blazing
with excitement. "Do you understand?"
"Perfectly."
"It's
more than I do, sir," continued Morrison, "but as I was
explaining, I brought the little syringe back with me and I filled it
from the tube. The body was lying in the mortuary, which you've seen,
and the door not being locked, it was easy for me to slip in there
for a moment. I didn't fancy the job, but it was soon done. I threw
the syringe and the tube over the wall into the lane outside, as I'd
been told to do.
"What
part of the wall?" asked Smith.
"Behind
the mortuary."
"That's
where they were waiting!" I cried excitedly. "The building
used as a mortuary is quite isolated, and it would not be a difficult
matter for some one hiding in the lane outside to throw one of those
ladders of silk and bamboo across the top of the wall."
"But,
my good sir," interrupted the Governor irascibly, "whilst I
admit the possibility to which you allude, I do not admit that a dead
man, and a heavy one at that, can be carried up a ladder of silk and
bamboo! Yet, on the evidence of my own eyes, the body of the
prisoner, Samarkan, was removed from the mortuary last night!"
Smith
signaled to me to pursue the subject no further; and indeed I
realized that it would have been no easy matter to render the amazing
truth evident to a man of the Colonel's type of mind. But to me the
facts of the case were now clear enough.
That
Fu-Manchu possessed a preparation for producing artificial catalepsy,
of a sort indistinguishable from death, I was well aware. A dose of
this unknown drug had doubtless been contained in the cognac (if,
indeed, the decanter had held cognac) that the prisoner had drunk at
the time of his arrest. The "yellow stuff" spoken of by
Morrison I recognized as the antidote (another secret of the
brilliant Chinese doctor), a portion of which I had once, some years
before, actually had in my possession. The "dead man" had
not been carried up the ladder; he had climbed up!
"Now,
Morrison," snapped Nayland Smith, "you have acted wisely
thus far. Make a clean breast of it. How much were you paid for the
job?"
"Twenty
pounds, sir" answered the man promptly, "and I'd have done
it for less, because I could see no harm in it, the prisoner being
dead, and this his last request."
"And
who paid you?"
Now
we were come to the nub of the matter, as the change in the man's
face revealed. He hesitated momentarily, and Colonel Warrington
brought his fist down on the table with a bang. Morrison made a sort
of gesture of resignation at that, and –
"When
I was in the Army, sir, stationed at Cairo," he said slowly, "I
regret to confess that I formed a drug habit."
"Opium?"
snapped Smith.
"No,
sir, hashish."
"Good
God! Go on."
"There's
a place in Soho, just off Frith Street, where hashish is supplied,
and I go there sometimes. Mr. Samarkan used to come, and bring people
with him – from the New Louvre Hotel, I believe. That's where I met
him."
"The
exact address?" demanded Smith.
"Cafe
de l'Egypte. But the hashish is only sold upstairs, and no one is
allowed up that isn't known personally to Ismail."
"Who
is this Ismail?"
"The
proprietor of the cafe. He's a Greek Jew of Salonica. An old woman
used to attend to the customers upstairs, but during the last few
months a young one has sometimes taken her place."
"What
is she like?" I asked eagerly.
"She
has very fine eyes, and that's about all I can tell you, sir, because
she wears a yashmak. Last night there were two women there, both
veiled, though."
"Two
women!"
Hope
and fear entered my heart. That Karamaneh was again in the power of
the Chinese Doctor I knew to my sorrow. Could it be that the Cafe de
l'Egypte was the place of her captivity?
CHAPTER
XXIV
CAFE
DE L'EGYPTE
I
could see that Nayland Smith counted the escape of the prisoner but a
trivial matter by comparison with the discovery to which it had led
us. That the Soho cafe should prove to be, if not the headquarters at
least a regular resort of Dr. Fu-Manchu, was not too much to hope.
The usefulness of such a haunt was evident enough, since it might
conveniently be employed as a place of rendezvous for Orientals –
and furthermore enable the cunning Chinaman to establish relations
with persons likely to prove of service to him.
Formerly,
he had used an East End opium den for this purpose, and, later, the
resort known as the Joy-Shop. Soho, hitherto, had remained outside
the radius of his activity, but that he should have embraced it at
last was not surprising; for Soho is the Montmartre of London and a
land of many secrets.
"Why,"
demanded Nayland Smith, "have I never been told of the existence
of this place?"
"That's
simple enough," answered Inspector Weymouth. "Although we
knew of this Cafe de l'Egypte, we have never had the slightest
trouble there. It's a Bohemian resort, where members of the French
Colony, some of the Chelsea art people, professional models, and
others of that sort, foregather at night. I've been there myself as a
matter of fact, and I've seen people well known in the artistic world
come in. It has much the same clientele as, say, the Cafe Royal, with
a rather heavier sprinkling of Hindu students, Japanese, and so
forth. It's celebrated for Turkish coffee."
"What
do you know of this Ismail?"
"Nothing
much. He's a Levantine Jew."
"And
something more!" added Smith, surveying himself in the mirror,
and turning to nod his satisfaction to the well-known perruquier
whose services are sometimes requisitioned by the police authorities.
We
were ready for our visit to the Cafe de l'Egypte, and Smith having
deemed it inadvisable that we should appear there openly, we had been
transformed, under the adroit manipulation of Foster, into a pair of
Futurists oddly unlike our actual selves. No wigs, no false mustaches
had
been employed; a change of costume and a few deft touches of some
water-color paint had rendered us unrecognizable by our most intimate
friends.
It
was all very fantastic, very reminiscent of Christmas charades, but
the farce had a grim, murderous undercurrent; the life of one dearer
to me than life itself hung upon our success; the swamping of the
White world by Yellow hordes might well be the price of our failure.
Weymouth
left us at the corner of Frith Street. This was no more than a
reconnaissance, but –
"I
shall be within hail if I'm wanted," said the burly detective;
and although we stood not in Chinatown but in the heart of Bohemian
London, with popular restaurants about us, I was glad to know that we
had so stanch an ally in reserve.
The
shadow of the great Chinaman was upon me. That strange, subconscious
voice, with which I had become familiar in the past, awoke within me
tonight. Not by logic, but by prescience, I knew that the Yellow
doctor was near.
Two
minutes walk brought us to the door of the cafe. The upper half was
of glass, neatly curtained, as were the windows on either side of it;
and above the establishment appeared the words: "Cafe de
l'Egypte." Between the second and third word was inserted a
gilded device representing the crescent of Islam.
We
entered. On our right was a room furnished with marble-topped tables,
cane-seated chairs and plush-covered lounges set against the walls.
The air was heavy with tobacco smoke; evidently the cafe was full,
although the night was young.
Smith
immediately made for the upper end of the room. It was not large, and
at first glance I thought that there was no vacant place. Presently,
however, I espied two unoccupied chairs; and these we took, finding
ourselves facing a pale, bespectacled young man, with long, fair hair
and faded eyes, whose companion, a bold brunette, was smoking one of
the largest cigarettes I had ever seen, in a gold and amber
cigar-holder.
A
very commonplace Swiss waiter took our orders for coffee, and we
began discreetly to survey our surroundings. The only touch of
Oriental color thus far perceptible in the cafe de l'Egypte was
provided by a red-capped Egyptian behind a narrow counter, who
presided over the coffee pots. The patrons of the establishment were
in every way typical of Soho, and in the bulk differed not at all
from those of the better known cafe restaurants.
There
were several Easterns present; but Smith, having given each of them a
searching glance, turned to me with a slight shrug of disappointment.
Coffee being placed before us, we sat sipping the thick, sugary
beverage, smoking cigarettes and vainly seeking for some clue to
guide us to the inner sanctuary consecrated to hashish. It was
maddening to think that Karamaneh might be somewhere concealed in the
building, whilst I sat there, inert amongst this gathering whose
conversation was of abnormalities in art, music, and literature.
Then,
suddenly, the pale young man seated opposite paid his bill, and with
a word of farewell to his companion, went out of the cafe. He did not
make his exit by the door through which we entered, but passed up the
crowded room to the counter whereat the Egyptian presided. From some
place hidden in the rear, emerged a black-haired, swarthy man, with
whom the other exchanged a few words. The pale young artist raised
his wide-brimmed hat, and was gone–through a curtained doorway on
the left of the counter.
As
he opened it, I had a glimpse of a narrow court beyond; then the door
was closed again ... and I found myself thinking of the peculiar eyes
of the departed visitor. Even through the thick pebbles of his
spectacles, although for some reason I had thought little of the
matter at the time, his oddly contracted pupils were noticeable. As
the girl, in turn, rose and left the cafe – but by the ordinary
door – I turned to Smith.
"That
man ..." I began, and paused.
Smith
was watching covertly, a Hindu seated at a neighboring table, who was
about to settle his bill. Standing up, the Hindu made for the coffee
counter, the swarthy man appeared out of the background – and the
Asiatic visitor went out by the door opening into the court.
One
quick glance Smith gave me, and raised his hand for the waiter. A few
minutes later we were out in the street again.
"We
must find our way to that court!" snapped my friend. "Let
us try back, I noted a sort of alley-way which we passed just before
reaching the cafe."
"You
think the hashish den is in some adjoining building?"
"I
don't know where it is, Petrie, but I know the way to it!"
Into
a narrow, gloomy court we plunged, hemmed in by high walls, and
followed it for ten yards or more. An even narrower and less inviting
turning revealed itself on the left. We pursued our way, and
presently found ourselves at the back of the Cafe de l'Egypte.
"There's
the door," I said.
It
opened into a tiny cul de sac, flanked by dilapidated hoardings, and
no other door of any kind was visible in the vicinity. Nayland Smith
stood tugging at the lobe of his ear almost savagely.
"Where
the devil do they go?" he whispered.
Even
as he spoke the words, came a gleam of light through the upper
curtained part of the door, and I distinctly saw the figure of a man
in silhouette.
"Stand
back!" snapped Smith.
We
crouched back against the dirty wall of the court, and watched a
strange thing happen. The back door of the Cafe de l'Egypte opened
outward, simultaneously a door, hitherto invisible, set at right
angles in the hoarding adjoining, opened inward!
A
man emerged from the cafe and entered the secret doorway. As he did
so, the cafe door swung back ... and closed the door in the hoarding!
"Very
good!" muttered Nayland Smith. "Our friend Ismail, behind
the counter, moves some lever which causes the opening of one door
automatically to open the other. Failing his kindly offices, the
second exit from the Cafe de l'Egypte is innocent enough. Now –
what is the next move?"
"I
have an idea, Smith!" I cried. "According to Morrison, the
place in which the hashish may be obtained has no windows but is
lighted from above. No doubt it was built for a studio and has a
glass roof. Therefore –"
"Come
along!" snapped Smith, grasping my arm; "you have solved
the difficulty, Petrie."
CHAPTER
XXV
THE
HOUSE OF HASHISH
Along
the leads from Frith Street we worked our perilous way. From the top
landing of a French restaurant we had gained access, by means of a
trap, to the roof of the building. Now, the busy streets of Soho were
below me, and I clung dizzily to telephone standards and smoke
stacks, rarely venturing to glance downward upon the cosmopolitan
throng, surging, dwarfish, in the lighted depths.
Sometimes
the bulky figure of Inspector Weymouth would loom up grotesquely
against the star-sprinkled blue, as he paused to take breath; the
next moment Nayland Smith would be leading the way again, and I would
find myself contemplating some sheer well of blackness,
with
nausea threatening me because it had to be negotiated.
None
of these gaps were more than a long stride from side to side; but the
sense of depth conveyed in the muffled voices and dimmed footsteps
from the pavements far below was almost overpowering. Indeed, I am
convinced that for my part I should never have essayed that nightmare
journey were it not that the musical voice of Karamaneh seemed to be
calling to me, her little white hands to be seeking mine, blindly, in
the darkness.
That
we were close to a haunt of the dreadful Chinamen I was persuaded;
therefore my hatred and my love cooperated to lend me a coolness and
address which otherwise I must have lacked.
"Hullo!"
cried Smith, who was leading – "what now?"
We
had crept along the crown of a sloping roof and were confronted by
the blank wall of a building which rose a story higher than that
adjoining it. It was crowned by an iron railing, showing blackly
against the sky. I paused, breathing heavily, and seated astride that
dizzy perch. Weymouth was immediately behind me, and –
"It's
the Cafe de l'Egypte, Mr. Smith!" he said, "If you'll look
up, you'll see the reflection of the lights shining through the glass
roof."
Vaguely
I discerned Nayland Smith rising to his feet.
"Be
careful!" I said. "For God's sake don't slip!"
"Take
my hand," he snapped energetically.
I
stretched forward and grasped his hand. As I did so, he slid down the
slope on the right, away from the street, and hung perilously for a
moment over the very cul de sac upon which the secret door
opened.
"Good!"
he muttered "There is, as I had hoped, a window lighting the top
of the staircase. Ssh! – ssh!"
His
grip upon my hand tightened; and there aloft, above the teemful
streets of Soho, I sat listening ... whilst very faint and
muffledfootsteps sounded upon an uncarpeted stair, a door banged, and
all was silent again, save for the ceaseless turmoil far below.
"Sit
tight, and catch!" rapped Smith.
Into
my extended hands he swung his boots, fastened together by the laces!
Then, ere I could frame any protest, he disengaged his hand from
mine, and pressing his body close against the angle of the building,
worked his way around to the staircase window, which was invisible
from where I crouched.
"Heavens!"
muttered Weymouth, close to my ear, "I can never travel that
road!"
"Nor
I!" was my scarcely audible answer.
In
an anguish of fearful anticipation I listened for the cry and the
dull thud which should proclaim the fate of my intrepid friend; but
no such sounds came to me. Some thirty seconds passed in this
fashion, when a subdued call from above caused me to start and look
aloft.
Nayland
Smith was peering down from the railing on the roof.
"Mind
your head!" he warned – and over the rail swung the end of a
light wooden ladder, lowering it until it rested upon the crest
astride of which I sat.
"Up
you come! – then Weymouth!"
Whilst
Smith held the top firmly, I climbed up rung by rung, not daring to
think of what lay below.
My
relief when at last I grasped the railing, climbed over, and found
myself upon a wooden platform, was truly inexpressible.
"Come
on, Weymouth!" rapped Nayland Smith. "This ladder has to be
lowered back down the trap before another visitor arrives!"
Taking
short, staccato breaths at every step, Inspector Weymouth ascended,
ungainly, that frail and moving stair. Arrived beside me, he wiped
the perspiration from his face and forehead.
"I
wouldn't do it again for a hundred pounds!" he said hoarsely.
"You
don't have to!" snapped Smith.
Back
he hauled the ladder, shouldered it, and stepping to a square opening
in one corner of the rickety platform, lowered it cautiously down.
"Have
you a knife with a corkscrew in it?" he demanded.
Weymouth
had one, which he produced. Nayland Smith screwed it into the
weather-worn frame, and by that means reclosed the trapdoor softly,
then –
"Look,"
he said, "there is the house of hashish!"
CHAPTER
XXVI
"THE
DEMON'S SELF"
Through
the glass panes of the skylight I looked down upon a scene so bizarre
that my actual environment became blotted out, and I was mentally
translated to Cairo – to that quarter of Cairo immediately
surrounding the famous Square of the Fountain – to those
indescribable streets, wherefrom arises the perfume of deathless
evil, wherein, to the wailing, luresome music of the reed pipe,
painted dancing-girls sway in the wild abandon of dances that were
ancient when Thebes was the City of a Hundred Gates; I seemed to
stand again in el Wasr.
The
room below was rectangular, and around three of the walls were divans
strewn with garish cushions, whilst highly colored Eastern rugs were
spread about the floor. Four lamps swung on chains, two from either
of the beams which traversed the apartment. They were fine examples
of native perforated brasswork.
Upon
the divans some eight or nine men were seated, fully half of whom
were Orientals or half-castes. Before each stood a little inlaid
table bearing a brass tray; and upon the trays were various boxes,
some apparently containing sweetmeats, other cigarettes. One or two
of the visitors smoked curious, long-stemmed pipes and sipped coffee.
Even
as I leaned from the platform, surveying that incredible scene
(incredible in a street of Soho), another devotee of hashish entered
– a tall, distinguished-looking man, wearing a light coat over his
evening dress.
"Gad!"
whispered Smith, beside me – "Sir Byngham Pyne of the India
Office! You see, Petrie! You see! This place is a lure. My God!"
He
broke off, as I clutched wildly at his arm.
The
last arrival having taken his seat in a corner of the divan, two
heavy curtains draped before an opening at one end of the room
parted, and a girl came out, carrying a tray such as already reposed
before each of the other men in the room.
She
wore a dress of dark lilac-colored gauze, banded about with gold
tissue and embroidered with gold thread and pearls; and around her
shoulders floated, so ethereally that she seemed to move in a violet
cloud; a scarf of Delhi muslin. A white yashmak trimmed with gold
tissue concealed the lower part of her face.
My
heart throbbed wildly; I seemed to be choking. By the wonderful hair
alone I must have known her, by the great, brilliant eyes, by the
shape of those slim white ankles, by every movement of that exquisite
form. It was Karamaneh!
I
sprang madly back from the rail ... and Smith had my arm in an iron
grip.
"Where
are you going?" he snapped.
"Where
am I going?" I cried. "Do you think –"
"What
do you propose to do?" he interrupted harshly. "Do you know
so little of the resources of Dr. Fu-Manchu that you would throw
yourself blindly into that den? Damn it all, man! I know what you
suffer! – but wait – wait. We must not act rashly; our plans must
be well considered."
He
drew me back to my former post and clapped his hand on my shoulder
sympathetically. Clutching the rail like a man frenzied, as indeed I
was, I looked down into that infamous den again, striving hard for
composure.
Karamaneh
listlessly placed the tray upon the little table before Sir Byngham
Pyne and withdrew without vouchsafing him a single glance in
acknowledgment of his unconcealed admiration.
A
moment later, above the dim clamor of London far below, there crept
to my ears a sound which completed the magical quality of the scene,
rendering that sky platform on a roof of Soho a magical carpet
bearing me to the golden Orient. This sound was the wailing of a reed
pipe.
"The
company is complete," murmured Smith. "I had expected
this."
Again
the curtains parted, and a ghazeeyeh glided out into the room.
She wore a white dress, clinging closely to her figure from shoulders
to hips, where it was clasped by an ornate girdle, and a skirt of
sky-blue gauze which clothed her as Io was clothed of old. Her arms
were covered with gold bangles, and gold bands were clasped about her
ankles. Her jet-black, frizzy hair was unconfined and without
ornament, and she wore a sort of highly colored scarf so arranged
that it effectually concealed the greater part of her face, but
served to accentuate the brightness of the great flashing eyes. She
had unmistakable beauty of a sort, but how different from the sweet
witchery of Karamaneh!
With
a bold, swinging grace she walked down the center of the room,
swaying her arms from side to side and snapping her fingers.
"Zarmi!"
exclaimed Smith.
But
his exclamation was unnecessary, for already I had recognized the
evil Eurasian who was so efficient a servant of the Chinese doctor.
The
wailing of the pipes continued, and now faintly I could detect the
throbbing of a darabukeh. This was el Wasr indeed. The dance
commenced, its every phase followed eagerly by the motley clientele
of the hashish house. Zarmi danced with an insolent nonchalance that
nevertheless displayed her barbaric beauty to greatest advantage. She
was lithe as a serpent, graceful as a young panther, another Lamia
come to damn the souls of men with those arts denounced in a long
dead age by Apolonius of Tyana.
"She
seemed, at once, some penanced lady elf,
Some
demon's mistress, or the demon's self ..."
Entranced
against my will, I watched the Eurasian until, the barbaric dance
completed, she ran from the room, and the curtains concealed her from
view. How my mind was torn between hope and fear that I should see
Karamaneh again! How I longed for one more glimpse of her, yet
loathed the thought of her presence in that infamous house.
She
was a captive; of that there could be no doubt, a captive in the
hands of the giant criminal whose wiles were endless, whose resources
were boundless, whose intense cunning had enabled him, for years, to
weave his nefarious plots in the very heart of civilization, and
remain
immune. Suddenly –
"That
woman is a sorceress!" muttered Nayland Smith. "There is
about her something serpentine, at once repelling and fascinating. It
would be of interest, Petrie, to learn what State secrets have been
filchedfrom the brains of habitues of this den, and interesting to
know from what unsuspected spy-hole Fu-Manchu views his nightly
catch. If ..."
His
voice died away, in a most curious fashion. I have since thought that
here was a case of true telepathy. For, as Smith spoke of Fu-Manchu's
spy-hole, the idea leapt instantly to my mind that this was
it–this strange platform upon which we stood!
I
drew back from the rail, turned, stared at Smith. I read in his face
that our suspicions were identical. Then –
"Look!
Look!" whispered Weymouth.
He
was gazing at the trapdoor – which was slowly rising; inch by inch
... inch by inch ... Fascinatedly, raptly, we all gazed. A head
appeared in the opening – and some vague, reflected light revealed
two long, narrow, slightly oblique eyes watching us. They were
brilliantly green.
"By
God!" came in a mighty roar from Weymouth. "It's Dr.
Fu-Manchu!"
As
one man we leapt for the trap. It dropped, with a resounding bang –
and I distinctly heard a bolt shot home.
A
gutteral voice – the unmistakable, unforgettable voice of Fu-Manchu
– sounded dimly from below. I turned and sprang back to the rail of
the platform, peering down into the hashish house. The occupants of
the divans were making for the curtained doorway. Some, who seemed to
be in a state of stupor, were being assisted by the others and by the
man, Ismail, who had now appeared upon the scene.
Of
Karamaneh, Zarmi, or Fu-Manchu there was no sign.
Suddenly,
the lights were extinguished.
"This
is maddening!" cried Nayland Smith – "maddening! No doubt
they have some other exit, some hiding-place – and they are
slipping through our hands!"
Inspector
Weymouth blew a shrill blast upon his whistle, and Smith, running to
the rail of the platform, began to shatter the panes of the skylight
with his foot.
"That's
hopeless, sir!" cried Weymouth. "You'd be torn to pieces on
the jagged glass."
Smith
desisted, with a savage exclamation, and stood beating his right fist
into the palm of his left hand, and glaring madly at the Scotland
Yard man.
"I
know I'm to blame," admitted Weymouth; "but the words were
out before I knew I'd spoken. Ah!" – as an answering whistle
came from somewhere in the street below. "But will they ever
find us?"
He
blew again shrilly. Several whistles replied ... and a wisp of smoke
floated up from the shattered pane of the skylight.
"I
can smell petrol!" muttered Weymouth.
An
ever-increasing roar, not unlike that of an approaching storm at sea,
came from the streets beneath. Whistles skirled, remotely and
intimately, and sometimes one voice, sometimes another, would detach
itself from this stormy background with weird effect. Somewhere deep
in the bowels of the hashish house there went on ceaselessly a
splintering and crashing as though a determined assault were being
made upon a door. A light shone up through the skylight.
Back
once more to the rail I sprang, looked down into the room below –
and saw a sight never to be forgotten.
Passing
from divan to curtained door, from piles of cushions to stacked-up
tables, and bearing a flaming torch hastily improvised out of a roll
of newspaper, was Dr. Fu-Manchu. Everything inflammable in the place
had been soaked with petrol, and, his gaunt, yellow face lighted by
the evergrowing conflagration, so that truly it seemed not the face
of a man, but that of a demon of the hells, the Chinese doctor
ignited point after point ...
"Smith!"
I screamed, "we are trapped! that fiend means to burn us alive!"
"And
the place will flare like matchwood! It's touch and go this time,
Petrie! To drop to the sloping roof underneath would mean almost
certain death on the pavement ..."
I
dragged my pistol from my pocket and began wildly to fire shot after
shot into the holocaust below. But the awful Chinaman had escaped –
probably by some secret exit reserved for his own use; for certainly
he must have known that escape into the court was now cut off.
Flames
were beginning to hiss through the skylight. A tremendous crackling
and crashing told of the glass destroyed. Smoke spurted up through
the cracks of the boarding upon which we stood – and a great shout
came from the crowd in the streets ...
In
the distance – a long, long way off, it seemed – was born a new
note in the stormy human symphony. It grew in volume, it seemed to be
sweeping down upon us – nearer – nearer – nearer. Now it was in
the streets immediately adjoining the Cafe de l'Egypte ... and now,
blessed sound! it culminated in a mighty surging cheer.
"The
fire-engines," said Weymouth coolly – and raised himself on to
the lower rail, for the platform was growing uncomfortably hot.
Tongues
of fire licked out, venomously, from beneath my feet. I leapt for the
railing in turn, and sat astride it ... as one end of the flooring
burst into flame.
The
heat from the blazing room above which we hung suspended was now all
but insupportable, and the fumes threatened to stifle us. My head
seemed to be bursting; my throat and lungs were consumed by internal
fires.
"Merciful
heavens!" whispered Smith. "Will they reach us in time?"
"Not
if they don't get here within the next thirty seconds!" answered
Weymouth grimly – and changed his position, in order to avoid a
tongue of flame that hungrily sought to reach him.
Nayland
Smith turned and looked me squarely in the eyes. Words trembled on
his tongue; but those words were never spoken ... for a brass helmet
appeared suddenly out of the smoke banks, followed almost immediately
by a second ...
"Quick,
sir! this way! Jump! I'll catch you!"
Exactly
what followed I never knew; but there was a mighty burst of cheering,
a sense of tension released, and it became a task less agonizing to
breathe.
Feeling
very dazed, I found myself in the heart of a huge, excited crowd,
with Weymouth beside me, and Nayland Smith holding my arm. Vaguely, I
heard –
"They
have the man Ismail, but ..."
A
hollow crash drowned the end of the sentence. A shower of sparks shot
up into the night's darkness high above our heads.
"That's
the platform gone!"
CONTINUED
IN
NEXT
INSTALMENT
No comments:
Post a Comment