THE
GREEN ARCHER
EDGAR
WALLACE
(
INSTALMENT 1 )
1.
THE GOOD STORY
Spike
Holland scrawled the last word on the last sheet of his copy, slashed
two horizontal lines to notify all concerned that it was the last
page, and threw his pen at the window-frame. The nib struck home, and
for a second the discoloured handle quivered.
"No
unworthy hand shall inscribe baser literature with the instrument of
my fancy," he said.
The
only other reporter in the room looked up.
"What
have you been writing up, Spike?"
"Yesterday's
dog show," said Spike calmly. "I know nothing about dogs,
except that one end barks and the other end wags, but Syme put me on
to it. Said that a crime reporter ought to get acquainted with
bloodhounds. That man is collaterally minded. Nothing ever appears to
him as it is; he lives on suggestion. Take him hot news of a bank
robbery and he'll jump at you for a story about what bank presidents
eat for lunch."
He
sighed and put his feet on the desk. He was young and freckled and
had untidy red hair.
"Dog
shows are certainly interesting—" he began, when the door
opened violently and a shirt-sleeved man glared ill through
spectacles of enormous size.
"Spike
... want you. Have you got a job?"
"I'm
seeing that man Wood about the children's home—lunching with him."
"He
can wait."
He
beckoned, and Spike followed him to the tiny room he occupied.
"Do
you know Abel Bellamy –
a Chicago man ... millionaire?"
"Abe?
Yeah ... Is he dead?" asked Spike hopefully. "That
fellow's only a good story when he is beyond the operation of the law
of libel."
"Do
you know him well?" asked the editor.
"I
know he's a Chicago man-made millions in building, and that he's a
roughneck. He's been living in England eight or nine years, I guess
... got a regular castle ... and a dumb Chink chauffeur—"
"I
know all that 'Who's Who' stuff," said the editor impatiently.
"What I want to know is this: Is he the kind of man who is out
for publicity? In other words, is the Green Archer a ghost or a
stunt?"
"Ghost!"
Syme
reached for a sheet of notepaper and passed it across to the puzzled
American. It was a message evidently written by one to whom the rules
of English were hidden mysteries: "DEAR SIR, The Green Archer
has appeared in Garre Castel. Mr. Wilks the butler saw him. Dear sir,
the Green Archer went into Mr. Belamy's room and left the door open.
Also he was seen in the park. All the servants is leaving. Mr. Belamy
says he'll fire anybody who talks about it, but all the servants is
leaving."
"And
who in thunder is the Green Archer?" asked Spike wonderingly.
Mr.
Syme adjusted his glasses and smiled. Spike was shocked to see him do
anything so human.
"The
Green Archer of Garre Castle," he said, "was at one time
the most famous ghost in England. Don't laugh, because this isn't a
funny story. The original archer was hanged by one of the de Curcys,
the owners of Garre Castle, in 1487."
"Gee!
Fancy your remembering that!" said the admiring Spike.
"And
don't get comic. He was hanged for stealing deer, and even today you
can, I believe, see the oaken beam from which he swung. For hundreds
of years he haunted Garre, and as late as 1799 he made an appearance.
In Berkshire he is part of the legendary. Now, if you can believe
this letter, evidently written by one of the servants who has either
been fired or has left voluntarily because she's scared, our green
friend has appeared again."
Spike
frowned and thrust out his under lip. "Any ghost who'd go
fooling round Abe Bellamy deserves all that is coming to him,"
he said. "I guess he's half legend and half hysteria. You want
me to see Abe?"
"See
him and persuade him to let you stay in the castle for a week."
Spike
shook his head emphatically.
"You
don't know him. If I made such a suggestion he'd throw me out. I'll
see his secretary-a fellow named Savini; he's a Eurasian or
something. Maybe he can fix me. The Green Archer doesn't seem to have
done anything more than leave Abe's door open."
"Try
Bellamy—invent some reason for getting into the castle. By the way,
he bought it for one hundred thousand pounds seven or eight years
ago. And in the meantime get the story. We haven't had a good ghost
story for years. There's nothing to stop you lunching with Wood. I
want that story too. Where are you lunching?"
"At
the Carlton. Wood is only in London for a couple of days. He is going
back home to Belgium tonight."
The
editor nodded.
"That
makes it easy. Bellamy is staying at the Carlton. You can cover both
engagements."
Spike
strolled to the door.
"Ghost
stories and children's institutions!" he said bitterly. "And
I'm just aching for a murder with complications. This journal doesn't
want a crime reporter; it's a writer of fairy tales you need."
"That's
a fair description of you," said Syme, addressing himself to his
work.
2.
THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR
IF
the evil deeds of men were, as the ancients believed, written in
letters of blood in the place of their perpetration, the name of Abel
Bellamy would be splashed red in many places. On a mean farm in
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania; in the grey hall of Pentonville
Prison-to name but two.
Abe
Bellamy never lost sleep at nights thinking of the past. Remorse was
foreign to his nature, fear he did not know. He had done evilly and
was content. The memory of the horror of lives wantonly broken, of
suffering deliberately inflicted, of children delivered to hardship
and pain, of a woman hunted to death by a tiger of hate that the
Moloch of his self-esteem should be appeased, never caused him a
second's unrest of mind. If he thought of these old matters at all,
he thought approvingly.
It
seemed right to him that those who opposed him should be hurt.
Fortune had favoured him greatly. At twenty he was carrying a hod; at
thirty-five he was a dollar millionaire. At fifty-five his million
was ten, and he had shaken from his feet the dust of the city that
made him and was one of the landed gentry of England, the master of a
domain that the flower of English chivalry had won by its swords and
built on the sweat and fear of its slaves.
For
thirty years he had had the power to hurt. Why should he deny
himself? He could regret nothing, being what he was. He stood six
feet two in his stockinged feet, and at sixty had the strength of a
young ox. But it was not his size that made men and women turn in the
street to look after him. His ugliness was fascinating, his immense
red face was seamed and lined into a hundred ridges and hollows. His
nose was big, squat, bulbous. His mouth broad and thick-lipped; one
corner lifted so that he seemed to be sneering all the time.
He
was neither proud nor ashamed of his ugliness. He had accepted his
appearance as he had accepted his desires, as normal in himself. Such
was Abel Bellamy, late of Chicago, now of Garre Castle in Berkshire,
a man born without the gift of loving.
The
door of the sitting-room opened, and he turned his head. Julius
Savini was not unused to being greeted with a scowl, but he sensed
something more important than the usual snarl of complaint that was
his regular morning portion.
"See
here, Savini, I've been waiting for you since seven o'clock. If
you're going to stay connected with your job, I want to see you
before noon-understand that."
"I'm
sorry, Mr. Bellamy. I told you last night I should be late. I only
got back from the country a few minutes ago."
Julius
Savini's attitude and voice were almost humble. He had not been
Bellamy's secretary for a year without learning the futility of
opposing his employer. "Will you see a man from the Globe, sir?"
he asked.
"A
newspaper man?" said Abe Bellamy suspiciously. "You know I
never see a newspaper man. What does he want? Who is he?"
"He's
Spike Holland, an American," said Julius almost apologetically.
"That
doesn't make him any more welcome," snarled the other. "Tell
him I can't see him. I'm not going to fall for any of that newspaper
stuff. What is it about? You're supposed to be my secretary, aren't
ye?"
"It
is about the Green Archer." Julius hesitated before he spoke.
Abe
Bellamy swung round savagely. "Who has been talking about the
Green Archer? You, you rat!"
"I
haven't seen any newspaper men," said Julius sullenly. "What
shall I tell him?"
"Tell
him to go to—here, send him up." If he did not see the
reporter, he'd probably invent something, thought the old man. And he
was just a little scared of newspapers. It was a newspaper that had
made the fuss in Falmouth.
Presently
Julius ushered in the visitor. "You needn't wait," snapped
Bellamy, and when his secretary had gone, he growled: "Have a
cigar?"
He
flung the box on to the table as a man might throw a bone to a dog.
"Thanks,
Mr. Bellamy," said Spike coolly, "but I never smoke
millionaires' cigars. It makes me sort of dissatisfied with my own."
"Well,
what do you want?" rasped Bellamy, looking at the red-haired
reporter through narrowed lids.
"There's
a story around that there's a ghost in Garre Castle, Mr. Bellamy-a
Green Archer."
"It's
a lie," said the other promptly—too promptly, in fact. If he
had shown any indifference to the suggestion, Spike might have been
deceived. The very promptitude of the denial gave him for the first
time an interest in the story. "Who told you this?" asked
Bellamy.
"We
had it from a reliable source," was the cautious reply.
"According to our information, the Green Archer of Garre has
been seen at the castle, and apparently has been in and out of your
room—"
"It
is a lie!" Abe Bellamy's tone was violent. "These crazy
English servants are always looking for ghosts. It is true I found my
bedroom door open one night, but I guess I must have forgotten to
close it. Who is your informant?"
"We
had it from three different sources," said Spike untruthfully,
"and every story hangs together. Now, Mr. Bellamy," he
smiled, 'there is something in it; and anyway a ghost puts up the
value of an old castle."
"That's
where you're wrong," said Abe Bellamy, instantly seizing the
opportunity offered to him. "It depreciates the property, and if
you put a line about ghosts in your paper I'll bring an action for
libel. Get that, young fellow?"
"Maybe
the ghost would start something too," said the other amiably. He
went downstairs, not quite decided in his mind. Abe Bellamy was not
the usual type of millionaire who makes his residence in England and
drifts almost mechanically into British society. The man was a bore,
half educated, entirely without social ambitions, unless Spike's
shrewd judgment was at fault.
Coming
into the hall, he found Julius talking with a tall, grey- bearded man
of the prosperous workman class, and Julius signalled him to wait.
"You know the room, Mr. Creager? Mr. Bellamy is expecting you."
When
the man had disappeared, Julius turned to the reporter. "What
did he say, Holland?"
"He
turned down the story. Honest, Savini, is there anything in it?"
Julius
Savini shrugged his lean shoulders. "I don't know where you got
the yarn from, and I certainly am giving you no information whatever.
The old man gave me hell because he thought I had tipped you off."
"Then
it is true," said Spike. "You have had a grisly apparition
stalking along your battlemented walls? Say, did he wear any chains?"
Julius
shook his head. "You'll get nothing from me, Holland. I've got a
job to lose."
"Who
was the beaver you sent up? He looks like a policeman."
Julius
grinned. "He was asking the same question about you when you
came down. His name is Creager, he's a—" —he hesitated—
"well, I wouldn't say friend; he's an acquaintance of the old
man. Probably he's a pensioner. Anyway, he calls pretty regularly,
and I imagine he doesn't come for nothing. I'm not wanted until he
comes down. Come and have a cocktail."
Spike
shook his head. While they were speaking, to the evident surprise of
Julius, the man Creager came down the stairs again, an ugly look on
his face. "He won't see me until two o'clock," he said in
suppressed wrath. "Does he expect I'm going to wait on him?
Because, if he does, he's made a mistake. You can tell him that, Mr.
Savini."
"What's
the trouble?" asked Julius.
"He
said two o'clock, I admit; but I'm in town. Why should I wait until
this afternoon? Why couldn't he see me this morning?" demanded
the bearded man furiously. "He treats me like a dog. He thinks
he's got me like that." He turned down a thick thumb
suggestively. "He's wild about a reporter. That's you, ain't
it?" he asked.
"That's
me," said Spike.
"You
can tell him"—the man Creager turned to Julius, and tapped the
young man's chest to emphasise his words—"that I'm coming at
two, and I want a long talk with him, or I'll be having a little
conversation with a reporter myself."
With
this menace he left them.
"Savini,"
said Spike softly, "I smell a good story."
But
Savini was going up the stairs two at a time on his way to his
enraged employer.
3.
JOHN WOOD OF BELGIUM
Spike
looked at his watch. It wanted five minutes to one, but he had hardly
seated himself to wait for his host before the remarkable John Wood
came quickly through the swing doors. He was a tall man, prematurely
grey, with a face of singular beauty. The eyes lived, and the
sensitive mouth seemed to speak even when it was in repose. He
gripped the reporter's hand warmly.
"I'm
not late?" he asked. "I've been very busy all the morning.
I want to catch the half-past two train to the Continent, and that
means a rush."
They
passed into the big dining-room together, and the head waiter
conducted them to a secluded table in a corner. Spike, glancing at
the delicate face, could not help making a contrast with the
fascinating ugliness of the man he had just left. He was the very
antithesis of Abe Bellamy, a gentle soul, whose eyes smiled all the
time. His every movement was alert and vital, and the long, white
hands seemed never to be still.
"Now,
what do you want to know? Perhaps I can tell you everything before
the soup comes. I'm an American—"
"That
I shouldn't have guessed," said Spike, and John Wood nodded.
"I
have lived a very long time in this country;" he said. "In
fact, I haven't been home for"—he paused—"many years,"
he added. "I don't want to talk very much about myself, and I'll
get over the modest recital of my virtues as quickly as I possibly
can. I live in Belgium, at a place called Wenduyne. I have a home
there for consumptive children, which, by the way, I am moving to
Switzerland this year. I am the inventor of the Wood's system of
carburation, I am a bachelor-and I think that is about all."
"It
is about the children's institution that I wanted to speak to you,"
said Spike. "We got a story about it from the Belgian
Independent. They said you were raising funds to provide in every
country in Europe a mother college. Now, what is a mother college,
Mr. Wood?"
The
grey man leant back in his chair and thought for some time before he
replied.
"In
every country in Europe, and particularly in this country, there is
the problem of the unwanted child. Perhaps 'unwanted' is not the
word. A widow is left penniless with one or two children to support.
It is impossible for her to get her living unless the children are
taken care of, and that costs money. There are other little children
whose coming is dreaded, whose birth is a calamity, and who must be
rushed out of sight, probably into some wretched home, the woman of
which, for a few dollars a week, undertakes to look after and to
bring it up. Not a year passes in some country or other where these
baby farmers are not brought to justice, either for neglecting or for
destroying these helpless mites."
He
then outlined his scheme: the institution of great mother colleges,
to which the unwanted child should be taken, where it would be cared
for by trained nurses.
"We
would take in probationers, who would pay us a fee for their tuition
in the art of baby care. I think in course of time we could make
these institutions self-supporting, and we should certainly give to
the world healthy boys and girls fit to face the stress of life."
Throughout
the meal he talked children and nothing but children. Babies were his
joy; he rhapsodised about a tiny German orphan that had just come to
his Belgian institution, and grew so animated that guests at other
tables looked round.
"If
you don't mind my saying as much, Mr. Wood, you have a queer hobby."
The
other laughed.
"I
suppose I have," he said, and then quickly: "Who are those
people?"
A
little party had come into the dining-room, two men and a girl. The
first of the men was tall, thin, and white-haired, and on his face
was a look of settled melancholy. His companion was a smartly dressed
young man, whose age might have been anything from nineteen to
thirty. He looked to be the kind who lived to justify his tailor.
From the top of his glossy fair head to the tips of his enamelled
shoes he was an advertisement for good valeting. But it was the girl
to whom their eyes returned.
"That's
the only woman I have ever seen who comes near to a magazine cover,"
said Spike.
"Who
is she?"
"Miss
Howett—Miss Valerie Howett. The old man is Walter Howett, an
Englishman who lived for many years in the States in a poor way until
oil was found on his farm. And the fashion-plate is
English—Featherstone. He's a lounge lizard. I've seen him at every
night-club in London."
The
party took a table near to where they sat, and Wood had an
opportunity of a closer inspection of the girl. "She is very
lovely," he said in a lower tone; but Spike had risen from the
table and had gone across to shake hands with the elderly American.
He came back after a while.
"Mr.
Howett wishes me to go up to his sitting-room after lunch, Mr. Wood,"
he said. "I wonder if you'll excuse me?"
"Surely,"
nodded the other.
Twice
during the meal the girl's eyes wandered across to where they sat,
with a questioning, uncertain glance, as though she had met John Wood
before and was wondering in what circumstances.
Spike
had turned the conversation from babies to a subject which was at
that moment interesting him more keenly.
"Mr.
Wood, I suppose in your travels you never met a ghost?"
"No,"
said the other with a quiet smile, "I don't think I have."
"Do
you know Bellamy?" asked Spike.
"Abel
Bellamy—yes, I know of him. He is the Chicago man who bought Garre
Castle."
Spike
nodded. "And Garre Castle is the home of the Green Archer,"
said Spike. "Old man Bellamy isn't so proud of his ghost as some
people would be, and he has tried to switch me off what looks to be
like a pretty good story."
He
told all he knew about the Green Archer of Garre, and his companion
listened without comment. "It is queer," he said at last.
"I know the legend of Garre Castle, and I have heard of Mr.
Bellamy."
"Do
you know him well?" asked Spike quickly; but the other shook his
head.
Soon
after, Mr. Howett's party rose and went out, and, beckoning the
waiter, Wood paid his bill and they followed.
"I
have to write a letter," said Wood. "Will you be long with
Mr. Howett?"
"I'll
not be five minutes," said Spike. "I don't know what he
wants to see me about, but I guess it won't keep me very long."
The
Howetts' sitting-room was on the same floor as Bellamy's, and the old
man was waiting for him. Mr. Featherstone apparently had gone, and
only the millionaire and his daughter were in the room.
"Come
in, Holland," said Howett. He had a sad voice and his manner was
gloomy. "Valerie, this is Mr. Holland; Holland is a newspaper
man who may be able to help you."
The
girl gave him a pod and a half-smile.
"Really
it is my daughter who wishes to see you, Holland," said Howett,
to Spike's gratification. He looked at the girl dubiously and then at
the reporter.
"The
truth is, Mr. Holland, I want to trace a lady who lived in London
twelve years ago." She hesitated. "A Mrs. Held. She lived
in Little Bethel Street, Camden Town. I've already made inquiries in
the street. It is a dreadful slum, and there is nobody there who
remembers her. I should not know that she was there at all," she
went on, "only a letter came into my possession." Again she
stopped. "It came to me unknown to the person to whom it was
addressed, and who had every reason to keep her whereabouts a secret.
A few weeks after it was written she disappeared."
"Have
you advertised?"
"Yes,"
she nodded. "I've done everything that is possible. The police
have been helping for years."
Spike
shook his head. "I'm afraid I cannot be of much assistance to
you."
"That's
what I thought," said Howett. "But my daughter has an idea
that newspapers hear a great deal more than the police—"
It
was a voice in the corridor outside that interrupted, a loud,
strident, harsh voice, raised in anger, and followed by a thud. He
looked round, and immediately Spike, who recognised the sound, was in
the corridor.
A
strange sight met him. The bearded man whom Julius had called Creager
was picking himself slowly from the floor, and standing in the
doorway of his sitting-room was the huge bulk of Abe Bellamy.
"You'll
be sorry for this," quavered Creager.
"Get
out and stay out," roared Abe Bellamy. "If ye come here
again I'll heave ye through the window."
"I'll
make you pay!" The bearded man was almost sobbing in his rage.
"Not
in dollars and cents," said the old man grimly. "And
listen, Creager! You've got a pension from your Government, haven't
you? See that you don't lose it." And with this he turned into
the room and slammed the door.
Spike
went towards the man as he limped down the corridor. "What's
wrong?"
Creager
stopped to brush his knees. "You'll know all about it," he
said, and then: "You're a reporter, aren't you? I've got
something for you."
Spike
was first and foremost a newspaper man; a story to him was meat and
drink, the beginning and end of his day's ambition. He went back to
Howett. "Will you excuse me for a time? I want to see this man."
"Who
was it that struck him—Bellamy?"
It
was the girl who asked, and there was a certain suppressed vehemence
in her tone which made Spike open his eyes.
"Yes,
Miss Howett. Do you know him?"
"I've
heard of him," she said slowly.
Spike
accompanied the aggrieved Creager into the hall. The man was white
and trembling, and it was some time before he could recover his
voice. "It is perfectly true what he said. I may lose my
pension, but I'm going to risk that. Look here, Mister—"
"Holland's
my name," said Spike.
"I
can't tell you here, but if you'll come to my house-Rose Cottage,
Field Road, New Barnet—"
Spike
jotted down the address.
"I'll
tell you something that'll make a sensation. Yes, that's what it will
make," he said with relish, "a sensation."
"Fine,"
said Spike. "When can I see you?"
"Come
in a couple of hours' time." And with a nod he was gone.
"That
man looks shaken," said Wood, an interested spectator.
"Yes,
he's had a bad handling-and he has a story that I particularly want
to write."
"I
heard him say that," said Mr. Wood with a smile. "And now,
Holland, I fear I must go. Come over and see me in Belgium."
He
held out his hand at parting. "Perhaps one day I will give you a
story about Abe Bellamy—the biggest story of all. If you wish for
further particulars about the colleges, do not hesitate to wire."
Spike
returned to the Howetts' sitting-room to discover that Miss Howett
had gone to her room with a bad headache, and that the discussion of
the help he could give her was indefinitely postponed.
4.
THE GREEN ARROW
Reporting
to the office that afternoon, Spike turned in an account of John
Wood's plan for a super-creche, and took a taxi up to New Barnet.
It
was a long drive to New Barnet, and Field Road proved literally to be
a road through fields. Rose Cottage lay back behind high box hedges,
and was a creeper-clad house, with a tiny garden in front and
apparently a bigger garden at the rear which led to a small
plantation. This Spike saw from the cab. Unlatching the small gate,
he walked up the flagged path and knocked. There was no answer,
though the door was unlocked and was, in fact, ajar. He knocked
again, and again received no reply.
Pushing
the door open, he called Creager by name, and when that had failed he
walked back to the road to look for somebody.
There
was a woman in sight; she had apparently come from one of the small
houses at the farther end of the road.
"Mr.
Creager? Yes, sir, he lives here, and he's usually at home at this
time of the day."
"He
doesn't seem to be at home now. Is there anybody else in the house?"
"No,
sir; he lives alone. My sister comes in in the morning and cleans up
the house for him. Why don't you go in and wait, sir?"
It
seemed an excellent idea, especially as it had begun to rain and,
pushing open the door, Spike walked boldly down the passage into what
was evidently the living-room. It was comfortably furnished, and over
the mantelpiece was a portrait, which he recognised instantly as the
bearded man. He was in some sort of uniform, which Spike could not
recognise.
Spike
sat down and glanced idly out of the window, which commanded a view
of the garden, then instantly sprang up. Protruding from behind a
bush on the farther side of the tiny lawn was a foot—and it was
very still.
He
raced out of the room, crossed the lawn, and ran round to the farther
side of the bush, and there stopped, paralysed.
Lying
on his back, his eyes half closed, his hands clenched in the agony of
death, lay the bearded man; and from his waistcoat, immediately above
his hands, protruded the long green shaft of an arrow, tipped with
vivid green feathers. Spike knelt down at the dead man's 'side and
sought for some sign of life, but there was none. And then he began
to make a rapid survey of the immediate vicinity. The garden was
separated from the fields into which it was thrust by a low wooden
fence, over which any agile man could vault. He guessed that Creager
had been killed instantaneously and fallen as he had been struck.
Jumping
over the fence, he began his search. Ten paces from the fence was a
big oak-tree. It lay exactly in line with the arrow's flight. Round
this he went, examining the ground almost inch by inch. There were no
footprints, and the tree itself was in full view of the road. He
looked up, caught one of the low branches, and swung himself up until
he was astride. Edging forward, he came at last to a place which gave
him a full view of the body. Instinctively he knew that it was from
this branch that the arrow had been fired. The tree was leafy and
offered cover, and it was likely, since the dead man must have been
facing the way the arrow came, that his slayer was out of sight.
He
must have dropped when he loosed his arrow, thought Spike, and came
to the ground again. Here he was rewarded, for the murderer, in
jumping down, had left two clear footprints. He had left something
even more important, but this Spike did not see immediately. He found
it after a while by accident. It was an arrow, similar to that in
Creager's body. The shaft was polished smooth and covered with green
enamel. The feathers were new, green, and well trimmed. It looked too
ornamental for use, but the arrow's point was needle-sharp.
Going
back to the house, he sent the taxi-driver to bring the police. They
came, in the shape of a uniformed constable and sergeant, and were
followed in extraordinarily quick time by a man from Scotland Yard,
who took immediate charge of the house and arranged the removal of
the body.
Long
before the police arrived Spike had made a very searching inspection
of the house. This examination included the wholly unauthorised
inspection of such of Creager's private papers as he could find. He
soon discovered the significance of the uniform which the man wore in
his photograph. Creager had been a prison guard, or warder as they
call them in England, had served twenty-one years, and had received
an honourable discharge. A certificate to this effect was one of the
first papers he found in the dead man's bureau. What he was anxious
to unearth, however, was some paper which would explain Creager's
relationship with Abe Bellamy. There was one drawer of the
old-fashioned desk which he could not open and did not dare force.
He
found the man's bank-book, however, and learnt to his surprise that
Creager was comparatively rich. He had a balance of over two thousand
pounds to his credit. A rapid inspection of the pages of this book
showed that on the first of every month Creager received forty
pounds, which, according to the book, was paid in in cash. His
pension was easy to trace because it was paid quarterly. This and the
mysterious monthly receipts, and such interests on bonds as the man
held, were the only entries on the credit side. He had just finished
making extracts from the pass-book when the police arrived, and he
went out to meet them. Shortly afterwards the police surgeon arrived
and saw the body.
"He's
been dead more than an hour," he concluded. "The arrow has
passed right through him. It must have been extraordinarily sharp."
To
Scotland Yard men Spike produced the second arrow and pointed to the
spot where it had been found.
"The
man who did this was an expert," said the detective in charge.
"He aimed to kill, and he must have been pretty certain that he
would kill. This is the first arrow murder I've ever seen. You had
better keep in touch with us, Holland. I suppose you want to go to
your newspaper and make your big howl. But first you'd better tell me
just why you were here at all."
Spike
gave a prompt account of what had happened at the Carlton, and added
a further piece of information which left the detective open-
mouthed.
"Green
Archer!" he said incredulously, "You're not suggesting that
this job was done by a ghost, are you? If it was, then I can tell you
he was a mighty substantial ghost, because it wanted an arm like iron
and a bow like steel to send that arrow through Creager from the
distance the string was loosed. We'll go along and see Bellamy."
Mr.
Abe Bellamy was on the point of departure for Berkshire when the
police officers arrived, and he was neither shocked nor perturbed by
the news they gave him.
"Yes,
it is perfectly true I fired him out. Creager was useful to me many
years ago, and I made him a very handsome allowance for the service
he rendered me. He saved my life—jumped into the water for me when
my boat overturned on the river."
(That
is a lie, thought Spike, watching the old man.).
"What
was the quarrel about this morning, Mr. Bellamy?"
"It
wasn't exactly a quarrel, but of late he's been urging me to lend him
the money to buy a piece of land adjoining that on which his own
house is built, and I have refused. Today he got a little fresh,
threatened me-well, he didn't exactly threaten," corrected Mr.
Bellamy with a harsh laugh, "but ... anyway, he got mad at me,
and I threw him out."
"Where
did he save your life, Mr. Bellamy?" asked the detective.
"At
Henley, seven years ago last summer," replied Bellamy promptly.
(You've
had that date fixed in your mind, and that has always been the
explanation you were going to offer for subsidising this man, noted
Spike mentally.).
"At
that time he would be in the prison service," said the
detective.
"I
believe he was," replied Bellamy, somewhat impatiently. "But
when this occurred he was on his holidays. I guess you'll be able to
verify all that information from his record."
Spike
was satisfied in his mind that, when the records came to be examined,
ample confirmation would be found.
"I
guess that's all I can tell you, officer," said Bellamy. "This
fellow was shot, you say?"
"He
was killed by an arrow," replied the officer, "a green
arrow."
Only
for a second did Bellamy lose control over his face.
"A
green arrow?" he repeated incredulously. "An arrow-a green
arrow? What in—" He recovered himself with an effort, and a
slow smile dawned on his face and made him a little more
prepossessing than usual. "Victim of your ghost story, Holland,"
he sneered. "Green arrow and Green Archer, eh?"
"You
bet, Mr. Bellamy, we're going to have a story tomorrow," said
Spike smoothly. "And that old Green Archer of yours will have a
special column of his own."
5.
ABE BELLAMY AND HIS SECRETARY
DID
THE GREEN ARCHER MURDER CREAGER?
MYSTERIOUS
ASSASSINATION FOLLOWS QUARREL WITH THE OWNER OF GHOST- RIDDEN CASTLE
"Who
is the Green Archer of Garre? In what way is he associated with the
assassination of Charles Creager, ex-prison warder, late of
Pentonville? These are the questions which Scotland Yard are asking.
Creager was found dead in his garden yesterday by a reporter of the
Daily Globe, after a violent quarrel with Abe Bellamy, the Chicago
millionaire, whose castle is haunted by the Green Archer. Creager was
killed by a green arrow, an exact replica of the arrows that were in
use six hundred years ago ... "
Abe
Bellamy put down the newspaper and looked across at his secretary.
"How much of that came from you I don't know," he growled.
"Somebody must have told the reporters about that fool ghost.
Now listen, Savini! All this crazy talk of ghosts doesn't scare me.
Get that? If this monkey business is to get me rattled, and if ye
think that by getting me rattled ye'll be able to make yourself a
permanent feature around Garre, you've got another guess coming. I'll
smash that fake without squealing to Scotland Yard, believe me!"
He
walked to the window and stared moodily into the street. Presently he
turned sharply. "Savini, I'll tell you something. You've got a
good job. Don't lose it. You're the only thing of your kind I've ever
employed. You're slick and you're a liar, and you suit me. I took you
from the gutter—don't forget it. I know that you're crook—you've
never been anything but crook—but I engaged you because you're the
kind of crook I wanted. Someone I knew all about. D'ye hear that?
More'n a year ago the police chief—inspector, or whatever you call
him—happened to be seeing me about a stick-pin one of the hotel
servants had taken, and I got him to stop to lunch. I've always been
friendly with the police. It pays. And whilst we were lunching in
this very hotel he pointed you out to me—gave me your record. I
suppose, when you had a note from me, you thought your prayers for
easy money had been answered? They hadn't. You've been straight with
me because the week after I employed you the gang was pinched, and
you were glad for a hole to hide in." He walked slowly towards
his secretary, and his big finger hooked itself into the opening of
Savini's waistcoat.
"That
Green Archer stunt is going to end right now," he said
deliberately. "And it had better! I'm gunning on anything green,
and I don't want to explain to the coroner just how the accident
happened. The newspapers say that there's been one Green Archer
death. Maybe there'll be more!"
The
grip on the waistcoat had tightened, and without any apparent effort
he was swinging the helpless young man to and fro. "You know
that I'm a tough, but you think I'm simple. You're wrong. I can give
you trick for trick and beat you!" Suddenly his arm shot out,
and Savini staggered back.
"The
car at five," said Abe Bellamy, and with a sideways jerk of his
head dismissed his secretary for the day.
Savini
went to his room and straightened himself, mentally and sartorially.
He was perturbed in mind, but he had recovered from his fright. He
stood for a long time, his arm folded on the bureau, looking
thoughtfully at the reflection of his brown face in the mirror. He
had spoken no more than the truth when he had disclaimed all
responsibility for giving the story of the Green Archer to the
newspapers. There were many good reasons why he should not advertise
the advent of that apparition.
So
the old man knew. That discovery had been distressing at first; now
it was a relief. He had lived in terror of his antecedents being
revealed, but the reason for his fear even Abe Bellamy did not guess.
He looked at his watch. It was just after nine, and the day his own
until five, so that the excuses he had invented for going out were
unnecessary. The art of serving Bellamy was to leave him alone when
he desired solitude. There were days when he did not see the old man
from morning until night. There were other days when every waking
hour was occupied by the correspondence which his employer
accumulated.
A
cab deposited him before the entrance of a large residential block in
Maida Vale, and, declining the invitation of the elevator boy, he
walked up two flights, took a key from his pocket, and opened the
door of No. 12. At the sound of his key in the lock a girl came out
into the hallway, cigarette in mouth, to inspect the visitor. "Oh,
it is you, is it?" she said indifferently as he closed the door
behind him and hung his hat on the hall-stand.
"Who
else could it be?" he asked.
"I've
sent the maid out to get some eggs," she replied as he followed
her into a well-furnished little sitting-room. "Where were you
last night? I thought you were coming to dinner." She had
perched herself on the edge of the table, her slippered feet
dangling: a pretty but untidy figure of a girl, with her mop of
yellow hair and her fine dark eyes. "I had a letter from Jerry
this morning," she said suddenly, and laughed at the wry face he
pulled.
She
jumped down from the table and took a blue envelope from the
mantelpiece.
"I
don't want to see it," said Savini. "I hate touching things
that have come from prison."
"You're
lucky not to have been there yourself, my boy," said the girl,
lighting a fresh cigarette from the stub of the one she had been
smoking. "Jerry will be out of prison in six months. He wants to
know what you're going to do for him. You're a millionaire now,
Julius."
"Don't
be a fool," he said roughly.
"Well,
Bellamy is, and there ought to be pickings."
"There
are big pickings," said Julius Savini.
He
thrust his hand into his pocket and strolled to the window, turning
so that his face was in the shadow.
"There's
half a million at Garre."
"Dollars
or pounds?" she asked without any enthusiasm.
"Pounds."
The
girl laughed softly. "Old Bellamy would be worried if he knew—"
"He
knows," said Julius. "He knew all along."
She
looked up at him in surprise. "That you're—?"
He
nodded.
"That
I'm crook. Those are his own words. He told me this morning."
"What
is all this stuff about the Green Archer?" she asked, getting up
to close the door as the sound of her servant's footsteps came to her
from the hall. "I was reading about it this morning in bed."
He
did not answer at once. And then: "I haven't seen it," he
said. "One of the servants thought he saw it, and the old man
told me that somebody had opened his door in the night."
"That
was you," she accused, and to her surprise he shook his head.
"No,
there's been no need to go for midnight rambles. I know every part of
the castle; and anyway the safe is not a job I would take on
single-handed. It requires an expert." He frowned at her
thoughtfully. "I'll tell you how I feel about this, Fay. The old
crowd is breaking up. Jerry's in prison, Ben is in gaol too, Walters
has skipped to the Continent, and there are only you and I left of
the old gang. It's broke; let it stay broke. What did you or I ever
make out of it? A few hard pounds a week, with little enough to spare
after we'd paid expenses. The game was too small, and suckers are
getting scarce. Here we are, with half a million for the taking. And
I tell you this, I'm going half-way to murder to take it!"
He
slipped his arm about her waist and kissed her, she alert,
suspicious, waiting.
"What's
the big idea?" she asked. "I mistrust you, Julius, when you
get affectionate. Am I to go and smash his safe, or what?"
He
eyed her steadily. Then: "I know a place—Sao Paulo—where a
man can live like a prince on the interest of a hundred thousand
dollars. And that is just the amount the old devil is going to pay
me; perhaps more. Garre Castle has a secret, Fay. It may be a hundred
thousand pound secret. And if the worst comes to the worst, I have a
little bottle of invisible ink that will certainly be worth twenty
thousand."
Julius
was a lover of cryptic language, and enjoyed the mystification on his
wife's face.
6.
DO-NOTHING FEATHERSTONE
The
immaculate young man who had been the third of Howett's luncheon-
party was older than his pink, boyish face betrayed. Valerie Howett
had guessed that the day her father had introduced him. To Valerie he
was at first an object of mild interest. In her travels with her
father, whose interests took him frequently to America, she had met
in Chicago and in New York, in every big city of the United States,
the pampered sons of foolish fathers, boys who had no other thought
in life than the destruction of the hours that separated them from
their more lurid amusements.
She
knew the limitations of their interests, which usually vacillated
between their fast cars and slow parties; but for the first time she
was meeting the English variety of the genus. In many ways James
Lamotte Featherstone was an improvement on all the others she had
known. His life was as purposeless, but he possessed the great
advantage of modesty. He never spoke about himself; he could talk
about other things most entertainingly.
Valerie
had first tolerated him because he was more presentable than the
detective her father had threatened to hire to accompany her if she
persisted in her practice of taking solitary rambles in
neighbourhoods of an unsavoury character. And from tolerating him she
had begun to like him, despite his exquisite appearance.
On
the day following the murder he called to take her to the park.
"I'm
going to ask you something," she said when they had reached the
sunny park and he had found her a chair by the side of the Row, "and
it is very personal."
"Personalities
fascinate me," he said unsmiling.
"What
do you do besides run around escorting attractive young ladies?"
He
looked at her hard. "You are attractive," he said
seriously. "You always remind me of Beatrice D'Este-the girl
Leonardo painted—only your face is more delicate and your eyes much
prettier—"
She
was scarlet now, and stopped him.
"Mr.
Featherstone!" she said awfully. "Don't you realise I was
joking? Haven't you English people any sense of humour? I wasn't
speaking of myself."
"You
don't know anybody else I've ever escorted," he challenged, and
tactfully moved to safer ground. "No, I have nothing to do."
"You
don't even crease your own trousers," she said tartly, for he
had annoyed her.
"No;
I pay a man to do that," he admitted. "I brush my own hair,
though," he added brightly.
She
laughed in spite of herself, and then suddenly became serious. "Mr.
Featherstone, I am going to ask you a very great favour," she
said. "I don't know why I risked making you angry with me. My
father is rather anxious about me. He is a little old-fashioned and
thinks that a girl ought not to go out alone. He even went to the
length—of proposing to hire a detective to look after me."
"Your
father is an intelligent man," said Jimmy Featherstone
promptly—which is exactly what he ought not to have said.
"I
suppose he is," said Valerie, mastering a retort with some
difficulty, "but ... the truth is that I want to be alone. I
want whole days alone. Do you understand, Mr. Featherstone?"
"Yes,"
said the other.
"I
can only really be alone, without scaring father, if he thinks you
are taking me some place ... I want you to come for me tomorrow and
take me out. And then I want you to leave me and let me take the car
where I wish. You can say that you are taking me out for the day. On
the river—"
"Rather
late for the river," murmured her companion.
"Well
... some place. Somewhere that will keep me out all day. Daddy is
leaving for Scotland on Wednesday night—"
"What
you want me to do is to pretend to take you out and leave you to your
own devices?"
She
sighed again. "How clever you are. Yes, that is just what I want
you to do."
Jimmy
Featherstone was drilling a hole in the gravel with his gold- headed
cane.
"I
will upon one condition," he said slowly.
She
looked at him in surprise.
"Condition?
What is it?"
He
raised his head and looked her straight in the eyes. "Leave the
investigation of Abe. Bellamy's affairs to somebody else," he
said. "It isn't a woman's job. If the police had searched the
plantation behind Creager's house, you would have had some difficulty
in explaining your presence, Miss Howett."
For
a moment Valerie stared at her companion, speechless and pale.
"I—I
don't understand you, Mr. Featherstone," she faltered.
The
young man twisted round and faced her with a smile, which was half
good-humour and half admonition.
"Miss
Howett, you've recently accused me of living a purposeless life. An
idle man has plenty of time for observation. You passed my flat in
St. James's Street in a taxi-cab that was following the Ford which
Creager drove."
"Then
you knew Creager?" she said in astonishment.
"I
knew him slightly," said Mr. Featherstone, toying with his stick
and avoiding her eyes. "I know everybody slightly," he
added with a laugh, "and some people a lot. For example, I know
that you dismissed your cab at the end of Field Road and that you
walked down as far as Creager's house, and then, as though you
weren't quite certain what you would do, you came to a stile which
connects with a footpath running through the plantation at the end of
Creager's garden. The plantation is not part of his land, and it is
only in his use because he hasn't troubled to fence off the end of
his garden. And in that plantation you waited until nearly eight
o'clock last night."
"You're
only guessing," she challenged hotly. "Father has told you
that I did not come back to dinner—"
"Indeed
I am not guessing," he said quietly. "You remained in the
plantation because you were afraid to have your presence betrayed."
"Where
were you?" she asked.
Again
he smiled. "I also was in the plantation, I'm sorry to say.
Otherwise I should have seen our friend the Green Archer."
"What
were you doing there? How dare you spy on me, Mr. Featherstone?"
His
eyes twinkled, but not a muscle of his face moved. "You are
inconsistent, Miss Howett. A little time ago you were complaining
that I did nothing; and now, because I confess to having chaperoned
you on a most dangerous expedition—"
She
shook her head helplessly. "I don't know what to think. It
doesn't seem like you, Mr. Featherstone. Why should you think I was
following Creager?"
Very
deliberately he took out a gold cigarette-case. "May I smoke?"
he asked, and when she nodded he lit up and sent a blue cloud into
the still morning air.
"You
followed Creager," he said slowly, "because-and here I am
only guessing—you thought, in his mood of resentment against Abe
Bellamy, he would betray his employer, and, incidentally, give you
the information that you have been seeking for years."
She
could only stare at him.
"You're
looking for a woman who disappeared under mysterious circumstances,
Miss Howett," said the elegant young man, tracing patterns on
the gravel with the ferrule of his cane. "And, rightly or
wrongly, you suspect Bellamy of being responsible for her
disappearance. You have seized at wilder straws than the one you
grasped yesterday. It took me a long time to reconstruct the workings
of your mind; but, as I imagine it, you thought that Bellamy would
follow his tool to his house, and that you would have an opportunity
of hearing them speak. You waited in the plantation nearly two hours,
and were on the point of going to the house when you saw the police."
He
took out his cigarette and threw it away again. He had suddenly
conceived a distaste for smoking. "I'd give a lot of money to
meet the Green Archer," he said softly.
"Then
you believe—?" she asked in amazement.
He
nodded. "I not only believe, I am absolutely certain."
She
was looking at him now with a new interest and a new understanding.
"What an extraordinary man you are, Mr. Featherstone! You are
almost as clever as a detective my father intended to employ to take
care of me."
He
laughed. "I have a confession to make, Miss Howett. I am the
detective with that commission. I am Captain Featherstone of Scotland
Yard, and I've had you under observation ever since you arrived in
London."
7.
A MAN AT POLICE HEADQUARTERS
Spike
Holland was in the midst of his second day's story of the arrow
murder when he was called to the 'phone, and he reported to the news
editor the purport of the message that had come to him.
"They
want me at Scotland Yard. Gee! I'm getting important."
"You're
certain about a woman being in this business?" said the news
editor, looking up from the scrutiny of the first sheet of Spike's
story.
"Sure!"
said Spike promptly. "Two people saw her. And I've found the
cabman who picked her up in the Haymarket and had instructions to
follow Creager's car. And there's a woman who lives down Field Road
who says that she saw a lady crossing the field towards the back of
Creager's house."
"Do
you think they'll be able to identify her?"
"There's
nothing more certain in the wide world," said the sanguine
Spike, "particularly if I'm guessing right. It is only a
question of giving the cabman a chance of seeing her."
In
ten minutes he was at Scotland Yard.
"The
Chief of H. Bureau wants to see you," said the sergeant on the
door.
"H.
Bureau is a new one on me," said Spike, "but lead me to
him."
A
policeman piloted him into a room which, from its size and
furnishing, was obviously the office of a very high official. The
young man was writing at the desk and looked up as his visitor
entered.
"Moses!"
gasped Spike. "I've met you before, some place."
"I
don't think we've met," smiled the chief, rising and pushing
forward a chair. "Sit down, Mr. Holland. I'm Commissioner
Featherstone, and as a rule I'm not on view to the general public. I
make an exception in your case because I like your face. Will you
have a cigar?"
"I'd
rather have another compliment," said Spike. "Any reference
you may make to my hair will be greatly appreciated."
Jim
Featherstone laughed "Seriously, Holland, this is the reason
I've brought you here. I understand that you have trailed a cabman
who took a lady to the end of Field Road and was seen walking towards
the house."
He
smiled at the other's astonishment, but went on: "There's no
mystery about it, because we control the taxicabs anyway, and the man
happened to be uneasy under your questioning, and came and reported
to the police that he had carried this lady to her destination."
"Have
the other papers got this?" asked Spike dismally.
"None
of the newspapers has it, or will have it," said Featherstone
quietly. "Not even the Daily Globe."
"But
we've got the story," said Spike.
"I
don't want you to use it. That is why I've sent for you. There's
nothing to it. I know the lady, and, as a matter of fact, her
movements have been satisfactorily explained. I realise that it is a
great disappointment to you, because a good murder without a veiled
and mysterious woman isn't a murder at all from a newspaper point of
view."
Spike
grinned. "It is all right, chief, if that's how you feel about
it," he said. "The story comes out."
"I'll
give you a clue or two to put in its place," said Mr.
Featherstone, toying with a silver letter-opener. "The man who
killed Creager has a red scar across his shoulder."
"Is
that a theory?" asked the astounded Spike.
"It
is a fact," said Featherstone. "And I will give you yet
another clue: the murderer either carried a very thick walking stick
or a bundle of golf clubs. I am inclined to the club theory, because
there is a links about a quarter of a mile from the spot where the
crime was committed. I admit that I don't know exactly how this
information is going to be of any value to you, but maybe you'll
prefer to put it by for personal reference when the murderer is
caught."
"Is
there any definite clue, any that you can regard as workable?"
Jim
Featherstone shook his head. "None; that is, not for
publication, because it is true. I'm not being sarcastic, Holland,
but you probably know that we only hint at clues when we want to
rattle a criminal and push him into making a getaway. It is the last
resort of the police to force a wanted man into betraying himself by
leaving his usual haunts and going into hiding. More men are trapped
through their conspicuous absences than by the finger-prints they
leave behind. But the man we want now is not an ordinary criminal."
"What
is the idea of that clue of yours—the scarred back?" asked
Spike curiously; and not expecting for one moment that his question
would be answered. To his surprise Featherstone explained.
"I
don't know how long you have been in this country or how well you are
acquainted with the processes of the English law. For certain crimes
in this country we administer flogging. Some of you people think it
is brutal, and maybe from the strictly humanitarian standpoint it is.
So is hanging, as a matter of fact. But it has had the effect of
wiping out a certain type of crime—the violent hold-up. Or if we
find a man habitually living upon poor wretched women, we flog him.
It has made that sort of traffic very unpopular. The lash is given
for other offences—we call it 'the cat o' nine tails" because
it is a whip with nine thongs—such as assault on prison officers.
Creager was for seven years the principal flogger in Pentonville
Gaol. It is an unpleasant job, requiring an extraordinary nerve and
skill, for the law is that the lash must not fall either above or
below the shoulders. If it touches the neck it may kill. There is a
certain type of brute that can take this punishment and feel no
resentment against the man who delivers it. There are others who
never forgive, and my own theory is that the murderer was a man who
had been in the hands of Creager and had waited his chance for
revenge."
"And
the thick walking-stick or the bag of clubs?" asked Spike.
"Creager
was killed by an arrow, sent from a very powerful bow—probably a
bow made of very fine steel. You cannot walk about London carrying
bows and arrows without attracting a certain amount of attention. The
weapon might be concealed in a hollow walking-stick, or pass
unnoticed in a bag of golf-clubs."
Spike
went back to his office with a feeling that the bottom had dropped
out of his story. "You can cut out that woman, Mr. Syme,"
he said. "The police know all about her, and there's nothing to
it."
"I
always mistrust mysterious women," complained the unimaginative
Syme.
8.
THE GREEN ARCHER
Garre
Castle, with its gaunt keep and its crenellated walls, offered little
hint of the comfort it held. Forbidding and gloomy of exterior, no
ray of light shone from its loopholed walls and turrets. The
mullioned windows of Mr. Bellamy's library looked out upon the green
lawn of the inner ward, and from these windows one wall of the
Sanctuary Keep rose in a stark, unbroken, and seemingly endless line.
There
were people who wondered why this man, who never read a book and to
whom history made no appeal, should have bought, at a big figure,
this home of the dead and gone lights of chivalry. Knowing him, they
would not have wondered. It was the strength of it that thrilled this
old builder.
There
was something in these stones that was in tune with the latent
ferocity in his cruel nature. The lightless dungeons with their
foot-thick doors, the worn chain-rings fastened to pillars rubbed
smooth by the shoulders of tortured humanity, the power and majesty
of Garre Castle spoke to the primitive in him and awakened in his
soul an atavistic devil that found joy even in the contemplation of
forgotten suffering. It was this that made the first appeal when he
had seen it twenty years before on a visit to England. Later, Garre
Castle figured in such dreams as he had; finally the place became
necessary. He had bought it at a heavy figure and had never regretted
his purchase.
The
castle was the light of his eyes. He was least objectionable here;
was, on occasions, almost human. He never slept a night away. If he
was in town he did not sleep there. Only the hotel servants and
Julius knew this. However important the business might be that
brought him to London, he was back at the castle by night, even if he
left again in the morning before the world was awake. The castle was
his one recreation. He would spend days wandering around the walls,
hours in speculation upon some stone. Who placed it there? What was
the man's name, what life did he live, what was he paid? Always it
came back to that question. There were no unions in those days, no
walking delegates. If a labourer got fresh they took him out and
hanged him.
High
from the walls of Sanctuary Keep a stout oak beam projected. Beneath
was a narrow doorway. Through this slit men had been pushed, with a
hempen collar around their neck, fastened to the beam above. That was
the way to deal with workmen who got fresh. And the Green Archer who
had stolen his lord's good venison. He had died on that beam. It was
proper that he should, thought Abe Bellamy. People who go thieving
should hang. That ought still to be the law.
He
sat that evening before the huge stone fireplace in the library,
watching abstractedly a fire of logs that crackled and spluttered.
The room was a handsome one, expensively and usefully furnished. The
walls were panelled from floor to raftered ceiling, and over the
recessed windows heavy blue-velvet curtains had been drawn. From the
fire Mr. Bellamy's eyes roved up to the stone shield above the
fireplace, with its rampant leopards, which the action of time had
almost obliterated. Beneath, and more distinct, was carved the de
Curcys' motto: "RYTE YS RYTE."
"They
spelt pretty badly in the old days," thought Abe complacently.
He was not much of a speller himself. "Right is right!" A
fool thing to say, anyway. Like saying that "black is black"
or "water is wet."
It
was late, and his evening task had been completed, but he was loath
to leave the deep armchair in which he sat. At last he rose, pulled
back the curtains which covered the door and unlocked it. Then he
returned to the fireplace and pulled a bell cord. Julius Savini
answered the summons.
"You
can take all these letters on the table, draft answers, and let me
have them in the morning," he growled. "I shall be here for
the next month, so if you want any time off you had better tell me."
"I
have an engagement on Wednesday," said Julius promptly, and the
old man muttered something under his breath.
"All
right, you can take it," he said.
When
the man had gone he began to pace the room restlessly. There was an
uneasiness in his mind which he could not understand, and for which
he could find no reason. He went back to his desk, took a key from an
inside pocket, and unlocked the lower drawer. He did this almost
mechanically, and the leather folder was on the desk before he
realised the cause of his restlessness.
"You
are a fool," said Mr. Bellamy calmly. "You're lovely, but
you're a fool. My God! What a fool you are!"
He
had opened the folder and was looking down at a large cabinet
portrait of a woman. She was wearing the costume of twenty years
before, and it looked singularly old-fashioned and quaint; but the
face was very young and sweet, and the calm eyes, that seemed to be
searching his, had a beauty that was almost unearthly. Abe Bellamy
licked his dry lips and gazed at the picture through narrowed lids.
Then he turned it over calmly.
The
second photograph was of a man of between thirty and forty. "A
fool," said Abe calmly; "you were just that, Mick."
The
third photograph was of a child, little more than a baby. This he
turned in his hand. At the back was pasted a newspaper cutting: "The
undermentioned officer was killed in air fighting on or about May
14th, 1918. Lieutenant J. D. Bellamy, United States Army."
He
turned the photograph over again and was closing the folder when
something attracted his attention, and he bent his head closer to the
desk. Ash—cigarette ash! Mr. Bellamy did not smoke cigarettes.
Julius Savini, on the contrary, did. He stretched out his hand for
the bell, but thought better of it. After all, it was his own fault;
he knew the character of the man, and if he could not keep his
private documents from the curious eyes of a lock-picking crook he
only had himself to blame. Before he left the library that night he
put the folder in a wall- safe that the panelling hid and locked the
door. He did this every night. For the space of two hours nobody
could enter the library. Julius, working in a room at the other side
of the entrance-hall, had his door ajar and saw his employer come out
and turn the switches that extinguished the library lights.
"You
can go to bed," said Bellamy gruffly. It was the nearest he ever
approached to saying "good night."
His
bedroom was the one apartment that looked outwards from the walls of
the castle, for it was situated in the angle of what was known as the
Hall Chamber—a great room, darkly panelled, and seemingly bare of
furniture. There were two doors to the room, an outer of stout oak
and an inner a framework covered with ancient leather. To this latter
was attached a steel latch, which was connected by means of a silken
cord to a pulley within reach of Mr. Bellamy's hand when he was in
bed. By this means it was possible for him to keep his door fastened
during the night and to lift the latch in the morning to his servant
without getting out of bed. He closed the outer door and locked it,
shut the leather door and slipped the latch in its socket. Then he
undressed and went to bed by the light of a candle. His last act
before retiring was to take from an inner pocket a long, narrow key,
which he put under his pillow. He had followed the same routine for
eight years.
He
was a man who slept well but lightly, and instantly he was asleep.
Three hours later he was as instantly awake. He never drew his
curtains at night. A full moon was shining in a cloudless sky, and
though the rays did not fall upon the window there was sufficient
reflected light in the chamber to enable him to see clearly what was
happening. The leather door was slowly opening ... inch by inch,
noiselessly, steadily.
He
waited, moving only to thrust his hand beneath his pillow and grip
the butt of the automatic which he had planted there in preparation
for some such contingency as this. The door was now wide open, and he
expected every second to see the intruder pass into the room. Rising
stealthily in bed and resting his elbow on his knee, he covered the
edge of the door.
A
minute passed, and there was no sound or sign of the intruder, and,
throwing back the bedclothes, he leapt to the floor and ran out
through the door, pistol in hand. The moon was streaming through the
windows of the corridor, flooding the hall with light. At first he
saw nothing, and then it seemed that the Thing moved from the shadow
into the full light.
A
tall, thin, green figure, with a dead white face, that stood stiffly
facing him, bow in hand. Green from head to toe, a vivid, startling;
skin-tight green that could not be mistaken. Green everywhere, save
that white face that stared blankly.
For
a second only the old man stared spellbound, and then his pistol
jerked up and he fired twice. As he fired the figure disappeared from
view. It seemed to melt into the black shadow instantly. Abe ran
forward, his pistol arm extended stiffly, but when he came to the
spot where the figure had been there was no sign of archer, no other
evidence of his presence than two bullet holes in the panelling of
the wall.
The
old man made a quick search. There was a door near where the figure
had disappeared, which led to a circular staircase and down to the
servants' quarters. He tried the door; it was locked. And then a
thought struck him, and he went quickly back along the corridor, past
the open door of his own room, and came at last to where Julius
Savini was sleeping. The door was fastened, and he rapped sharply.
"Savini!"
he called. There was no answer. By this time the servants had been
aroused, and he caught a glimpse of a man in shirt and trousers
coming towards him and called him by name.
"What
is wrong, Mr. Bellamy?"
"Don't
ask fool questions," snarled the old man. "Get dressed,
rouse all the servants, and search the castle. Phone down to the
lodge and wake the keeper. Hurry."
At
that moment Savini's door opened, and he stood, a startled figure in
his pyjamas, holding a lighted candle in his hand.
"What—"
he began. Bellamy pushed past him into the room and glanced round
suspiciously.
One
of the long windows was open, and he strode across and looked out. A
narrow parapet ran immediately beneath the window. It was broad
enough for a man to walk upon, given the requisite nerve.
"Didn't
you hear the shot?"
"I
heard something. I think it must have been you pounding on the door.
What has happened?"
"Dress
and come down to the library."
Suddenly
he lurched forward without warning and jerked open the jacket of
Savini's pyjamas. A square foot of bare chest was his reward, and he
grunted his disappointment. He had expected to see a skin-tight green
vest.
Savini
dressed quickly and went down, to find the old man in the library,
pacing up and down like a caged lion. "Who locked the door of
the servants' stairway?" he asked.
"I
did," was the reply. "You gave me instructions to see that
the door was locked every night."
The
old man eyed him keenly. "And you've got the key, of course?"
"As
a matter of fact, the butler has it. I give it to him because he's up
earlier than I. He has to open the door to let in the cleaners."
"Where
is the key now?" snarled Bellamy, his red face inflamed still
further. The great jaw was out-thrust and his eyes were the merest
slits. "I tell you this, Savini, if you're not in this. Green
Archer fake, I've made one of the few mistakes that I've ever made.
Find Wilks."
Savini
went out into the grounds to discover the butler, accompanied by the
two keepers that Bellamy maintained.
"I've
got the key in my pocket," said Wilks, when the other had
explained his errand. "It couldn't have gone that way, Mr.
Savini."
He
was carrying a bright vapour lamp, and this, when he came to the
library, the old man requisitioned. They went upstairs again to the
bedroom floor, and the butler turned the key of the little door and
swung it open.
"Give
me that lamp," said Bellamy. He pulled his pistol from his
pocket and went cautiously down the circular staircase, followed by
the two men. At the foot was another door, which was unlocked, and
this led into an annexe of the castle kitchen—a vaulted chamber
used as a store-house for provisions. Both doors which led from this
apartment were bolted from the inside. Mr. Bellamy cast the light of
his lantern up the broad chimney, but saw nothing. "He couldn't
have gone this way," he grumbled, and then irritably: "There
was no other way he could have gone!"
The
light of dawn was in the eastern sky when the search was finally
finished. Mr. Bellamy sat before the newly kindled fire in the
library drinking a cup of scalding hot coffee with savage, noisy
gulps, whilst his secretary sat silently, and a little wearily,
watching him. He stifled a yawn, not so furtively but the old man
noticed it.
"There's
something behind this Green Archer business, Savini," he said,
breaking a silence that had lasted the greater part of an hour. "A
ghost! Pah! I believe neither in ghosts nor devils. There is nothing
on God Almighty's earth, under or over it, that can scare me! I am
devil- proof and ghost-proof, Savini, and that fellow has got to be
bullet-proof to get away with it if I ever find him!"
9.
VALERIE'S SPRAINED ANKLE
"Father,"
said Valerie Howett next morning at breakfast, "I want a country
house."
Mr.
Howett looked up.
"What's
that?" he asked, startled.
"I
want a country house," said Valerie.
He
thought she looked tired and pale. There were dark shadows under her
eyes, and a certain listlessness of manner which caused him some
concern.
"I've
seen a wonderful old place. It isn't far from London, and it has the
disadvantage of adjoining Abe Bellamy's estate."
"But,
my dear," said the troubled man, "I have certain duties to
perform in America, and I can't stay on here through the winter.
Though it could be fixed, I suppose," he added. "Where is
this place?"
"At
Garre—it is called Lady's Manor, and is an old dower house that at
one time belonged to the castle. It would want a whole lot of
renovating." She looked down at her plate and went on tactfully:
"I thought it was just the place for you, daddy, if you are ever
going to write your book."
Mr.
Howett dreamed a dream of writing a political history of England. It
was a project he had had in mind for twenty years and for which he
had accumulated an immense amount of data. The fact that perfectly
good political histories of England existed was less a deterrent than
a spur to emulation, and Mr. Howett scratched his cheek thoughtfully.
"It
is so very quiet and peaceful. I'm sure, daddy, you'll never be able
to write your book when you get to America with all your business
distractions and your engagements. And of course you couldn't write
in a noisy town like London, which is almost as bad as New York."
"Quiet,
is it?" said Mr. Howett feebly.
"You
could hear an infinitive split," she said flippantly, with a
touch of her old buoyant spirit.
"I
don't know that that's a bad idea, Val," said her father,
leaning back and contemplating the ceiling. "And the rest would
be good for you. It isn't a bad idea. I'll cable New York and see if
it can be arranged. You're not afraid of ghosts?" he asked,
dryly, and she smiled.
"No,
I'm not afraid of ghosts," was the quiet reply, "if by
ghosts you mean the Green Archer."
"That
is certainly a queer business." Mr. Howett shook his head. "I
don't know Bellamy, but from what I've heard of him I should imagine
that he's the last man in the world to be scared by anything except
an income- tax official."
"You've
never met him?"
Her
father shook his head. "No, I've never met him. I've seen him
often enough—he's been here in the hotel. I don't like him, and I'm
not greatly impressed by that yellow-faced secretary of his."
She rose, and he hastened to her side to help her from the room.
"Valerie, you must see the doctor or an osteopathist about that
ankle of yours."
"It
will be quite well today," she said. "I'm going to lie
down, do nothing, and see nobody."
She
waved his assistance aside with a laugh and walked to her room
unaided, if a little shakily. Later in the morning came a visitor who
would not be denied. Mr. Howett knocked on the door of his daughter's
bedroom. "Here's Captain Featherstone. He says he wants to see
you. Can he come in?"
"If
he promises not to bully me," came the reply. "I'm not in
the mood to be lectured."
"Why
on earth should he lecture you?" asked her astonished father.
"Tell
him to come in."
Jim
Featherstone came into the bedroom on tiptoe, with such an
exaggerated air of concern that the girl could have shaken him. "It
is very sad to see you stretched so low," he said; "and
please don't scowl, Miss Howett. I have come here oozing sympathy."
Mr.
Howett went back to his sitting-room to write out a cablegram.
And
then: "Where were you last night, young lady?"
"In
bed," she replied promptly.
"And
the night before?"
"Also
in bed."
"Will
you think I am indelicate," he demanded, "if I ask you
whether in your dreams you paid a visit to the salubrious
neighbourhood of Limehouse, looking for a man who is known as
Coldharbour Smith?"
She
uttered an exclamation of impatience.
"Wait!"
He lifted a solemn hand warningly. "In searching for Mr.
Coldharbour Smith, did you tumble into a free-for-all fight in a
restaurant mainly frequented by Chinks and negroes?"
She
shuddered at the remembrance.
"From
which you were rescued by an honest but homely sailor—not, however,
before you were badly kicked by one of the brutes."
"You
weren't the honest but homely sailor?" she said, aghast.
He
shook his head. "No; he was one of my men-Sergeant Higgins. A
very good fellow, though there is nothing of the male vamp about him.
Why do you do these things?"
"Because
I must," she answered doggedly. "I ought to have seen
Creager before this terrible thing happened. I knew of him, knew that
he was on Bellamy's pay-roll for some horrible thing he had done in
the past. And this other man." She shivered again. "It was
terrible."
"Coldharbour
is not nice," agreed Captain Featherstone. "People who run
the kind of establishments at he runs are not as a rule pleasant. So
Coldharbour is also on the payroll, is he?" he mused. "I
didn't know that. Where do you get all your information?"
"I
have paid for it," she said, declining a direct answer, "and
I think it is fairly reliable."
He
considered for a few moments, studying the carpet attentively.
"My
own impression is that you're defeating yourself," he said.
"Fortunately, Coldharbour was not on view the other night. If he
had been, Bellamy would have known within twenty-four hours."
He
saw the tears come to her eyes, and the unexpectedness of the sight
took his breath away.
"I've
tried everything," she said, "everything. I suppose I've
been wilful and foolish and vain enough to believe that I was
cleverer than all the police in the world, but I'm beginning to think
I'm not."
His
eyes met hers. "Are you chasing a shadow, Miss Howett?" he
asked gravely.
"No,
no, no," she cried with vehemence. "I'm sure of it.
Something here tells me that I am right."
"Will
you answer me this question?" said Featherstone, lowering his
voice. "Who is the woman you are seeking?"
He
saw her lips close tightly. "I cannot tell you that," she
said. "It is not my secret alone."
10.
THE SLAYER OF CHILDREN
It
was a sudden impulse and a desire to meet again a man so far from the
world and its everlasting struggle that made Spike Holland jump at
the suggestion offered by his news editor that he should try to
persuade John Wood, of Wenduyne, to contribute a series of articles
on child welfare.
Leaving
London by the early boat-train, Spike spent five uncomfortable hours
on a bleak and troubled sea. It was not so much the possibility of
securing the articles—they were certain, because Wood had already
expressed his willingness—as the likelihood of obtaining even a
scrap of information about Abe Bellamy that took him abroad. There
was curiously little data available concerning the old man, and Spike
had the impression that the philanthropist could have told him a
great deal. The abruptness with which he had changed the subject when
Bellamy was mentioned suggested this.
Spike
was glad to step to the solid foundation of Ostend Quay. He had half
an hour to wait in the Place de Gare before there hove in sight the
little train that runs to the Dutch frontier, and he was glad to get
to the shelter of a first-class compartment. Rain was now falling
heavily, and a chill wind swept bleakly through the square. A
frequent visitor to Belgium, he knew the route by heart, that dreary
way across the dunes, the only points of interest the deserted gun
emplacements which the German left in his retreat. Le Coq was a
howling wilderness, but Wenduyne had the appearance of a town. A
summer resort, it was deserted now save for a shivering policeman,
who stood in the tramway shelter and eyed him curiously as he
struggled up the steep incline that led to the digue in the face of a
strong north-westerly wind.
The
digue was a desolation. The faces of the pretty villas were boarded
up, and billows of sand lay in patches on the neglected promenade.
The tide was in, and a tawny sea was lashing furiously at the very
foot of the embankment as he walked swiftly along, his coat buttoned
to his chin. Presently he came to 94. A tall, narrow fronted villa
like its fellows, its stoep and entrance were hidden behind a grey
weather-board, pierced by one door, at which he knocked.
His
knock was answered by a squat old woman with a slight moustache. She
looked at him a little uncertainly.
"What
is the name? M'sieur does not receive," she said in French.
"He
expects me, aunty," said Spike. "I wired him."
The
woman's dull eyes lit up.
"Perfectly
I remember. Will m'sieur come this way?"
John
Wood was sitting at a large ormolu writing-table as the visitor
entered, and he rose and put down his pen.
"You
came in spite of the weather? Stout fellow! Sit down, Mr. Holland.
And before you ask me, I will gladly undertake the writing of the
articles you referred to in your telegram. I need all the publicity I
can get for my scheme, and I am a shameless advertiser."
They
discussed the articles in detail, and Spike faithfully conveyed all
the prejudices, requirements as to length and subject that Syme had
impressed upon him. The squat lady with the moustache brought wine
and coffee, with wafer-like biscuits. "How quiet and peaceful
you are here!" said Spike enviously. "I thought you were a
bit nutty, living in Wenduyne through the winter. What a place to
write!"
John
Wood smiled. "I won't take you up to see the quiet-disturbers.
They are enjoying their siesta."
"Have
you any children here?" asked Spike in astonishment, and Wood
nodded. "Thirty," he said. "Three floors full."
He pointed to the stairway that led to the upper part of the
building. "I only have the quite healthy ones here. The
sanatorium is at the back of the town."
They
talked of babies for an hour. Mr. Wood seemed inclined to talk of
nothing else.
"Mr.
Wood, I have an idea that you know a great deal more about Abe
Bellamy than you say. You don't like him, do you?"
Mr.
Wood was playing with a golden figure of Pan, an exquisite little
statuette that stood on his writing-table. "I know enough to
hang him," he said without lifting his eyes.
Spike
heard, amazed. "You know enough to hang him?" he repeated.
"That's a pretty serious thing to say."
Wood
raised his eyes. "It might be if I were not speaking in absolute
confidence to a man I trust," he said.
Usually
Spike hated to be told anything in confidence, but for once he was
eager for unpublishable news. "I have no proof—absolutely
none," the child-lover went on. "Nevertheless, I know
sufficient to hang him. I don't say that he would hang on my
unsupported statement. The law is very tender of human life."
"It
was a child, of course," said Spike. "Without suggesting
that you have no use for grown-ups, or that you would not get heated
up over the shooting of a fat man, I fancy from your tone that it was
a child."
"He
killed a child," nodded the other, "a child I dimly
remember having seen. Whether he or one of his hirelings was
immediately responsible I do not know. He hates children. He would
sooner take his last dollar and cast it into the sea than give the
filings of it to help a child!"
"Can't
you tell me what he did-was it in America?"
"In
America many years ago," said Wood. "I'm afraid that I have
already said too much. Sooner or later I shall have proof. I have had
two men working on the slight clues I have been able to furnish, and
they have been working for years, one in London, one in America."
"He
was in trouble with a children's protection society in America?"
"I
know; but that had nothing to do with the case I am referring to.
There was another case in New York city. He nearly killed an
office-boy; threw him down a flight of stone stairs. Yes, I have Mr.
Bellamy's public record at my finger-tips. It is his private record
that I am seeking. The man is a born brute. It isn't only children
that he has beaten. It cost him five thousand dollars to stop a case
for assault brought by his valet. He hasn't had a valet since."
"The
Lord makes queer people," said Spike.
"The
devil makes queerer," retorted John Wood, his fine face
darkened. "He throws some men back to the animal stage of
existence."
Spike
launched a question that he had been pondering all the way across the
sea. "Do you think that the Green Archer is one of his victims?"
he asked, and John Wood's brow cleared.
"There
are quite a lot of people," he said quizzically, "who think
that the Green Archer was invented by a certain newspaper
correspondent, whose name it would be impolite to mention to your
face!"
A
staggering arraignment of his veracity which amused Spike. "I'd
be glad to be the author of a stunt that fooled England," he
confessed; "but unfortunately the credit goes to the Green
Archer himself."
He
told the story of the last visitation, and John Wood questioned him
closely.
"Who
saw the 'ghost' besides Abel Bellamy?"
"Nobody.
Perhaps the old man invented it."
"It
isn't likely." John Wood shook his head. "There is nothing
subtle about Bellamy. He's just animal all through. You may dismiss
that supposition from your mind. The Green Archer is real enough if
Bellamy has seen him."
His
face clouded again and he lay back in his chair deep in thoughts.
They were evidently not pleasant. Suddenly he rose, and, going to a
safe at the end of the room, he opened it. He was there for some
time, and when he returned he had something in his hand.
Spike
had risen to go, for he had only a few hours at his disposal and he
had taken up a lot of time discussing the articles.
"Look
at that, Holland." It was a baby's shoe of white kid; stained
and discoloured. "Some day, if judgment does not overtake him
before, I will show this shoe to Abe Bellamy in an American court of
justice. It will be a woeful day for him!"
It
was at this moment that the old woman came in with a broad grin on
her homely face, and in her arms a tiny bundle of white. "M'sieur,
the little Allemande will not sleep until she has seen you."
She
held up in her arms a rosy-faced baby with big, staring eyes that
sought first the glittering chandelier. From the light she moved her
head jerkily towards John Wood, and opened her small, wet mouth in a
delighted gurgle.
The
change in the man was amazing. He seemed to melt instantly. The
laughter and bubbling joy that was peculiarly his came back to his
face as he reached out and caught her in his arms. "Here is a
coin from my treasury, Holland, more wonderful than Bellamy's
millions. A little enemy! How ferocious she is, Holland! You may call
her Hun and she doesn't care!"
The
baby's soft cheek was against his, and Spike saw the tears in his
eyes and marvelled.
As
Spike went forth smiling to the gale he looked round. John had the
baby sitting on the edge of his desk, one hand about her, the other
holding before her delighted eyes the golden figure of Pan.
11.
THE DOGS OF GARRE
Julius
was met by his employer the next morning with a cryptic greeting. Mr.
Bellamy was never his brightest in the early hours, and he usually
worked off his spleen by a shower of fault-finding. "Don't let
my dogs see you," said Abe. "You'd make less than a square
meal for them."
Julius
was interested in spite of his unease. There were no dogs in the
castle, for Abe was not a lover of pets. His employer explained.
"I've bought a couple of police dogs," he said, "and
they'll go on duty in the hall and corridor from tonight on. If you
take my advice, you'll stay in your room until I'm up."
Later,
Julius saw the dogs—dour, unfriendly, and wolf-like. In their
strange new home they were unapproachable except by Abe himself. He
was absolutely fearless, and the animals seemed to recognise
immediately and to acknowledge his mastership.
"Handle
'em," said Abe. "Don't be afraid. Touch 'em." Julius
put forth a nervous hand at the nearest beast, and jumped back in a
fright as the dog snapped at him.
"You're
scared, and he knows you're scared. Come here, you!" He snapped
his finger, and the dog lurched forward, wagging his tail, and sat
down, his intelligent head lifted to the big man's face.
"The
man who sold 'em to me said I wouldn't master 'em in a month. He's a
fool. That house has been rented," he said, going off at a
tangent. "What do you call it?"
"Do
you mean Lady's Manor?" asked Julius in surprise.
The
old man nodded. "They beat me to it by five minutes. I was on
the 'phone to the agent this morning and he told me he'd hired it. Do
you know anything about that?"
"No,
sir; this is the first I've heard. Who is the newcomer?"
Abe
Bellamy shook his head. "I don't know and I don't care," he
said. "Why couldn't they go somewhere else?"
Later
in the afternoon Julius accompanied him across the broad, tree-
studded path on a tour of inspection. "I guess that's the
place," said Bellamy, pointing with his stick to a squat, grey
house, the roof and chimneys of which showed over the high wall which
surrounded the park. "I've seen the house before, but I never
thought of buying it. Is that a door in the wall?"
"It
looks like one," said Julius. "There was probably a
connection between the castle and Lady's Manor. It was what they call
a dower house."
The
door proved to be an ancient, iron-studded structure that evidently
had not been used for years. Its ironwork was rusted, and the surface
was half covered with ivy. The fact that it would mean a day's work
to open the door did not satisfy the old man. "Have a mason in
from the village and fill up that doorway," he said. "I'll
not risk prying people wandering about my land. See to that, Savini."
Julius
made a note, and that same afternoon two workmen came from the
village and began clearing away the ivy and the weeds preparatory to
bricking up the doorway; and when Valerie Howett, viewing the rank
garden of her new home, heard the click of steel against stone, she
guessed what was happening on the other side of the dilapidated gate.
In
many ways Lady's Manor had been a surprise. A more careful scrutiny
had revealed the fact that very little interior repair was necessary.
The walls of every room were panelled, the ceilings were raftered and
needed no more than a coat of whitewash. One of the inlaid floors was
badly in need of repair, but to her joy Valerie found that it was
possible to move into the place almost at once, and this was a step
which she decided to take.
The
obedient Mr. Howett agreed, and before the cleaners were out of the
house, or the wash on the ceiling dry, huge furniture lorries passed
in procession through the quiet lanes of Berkshire and backed into
the drive of Lady's Manor.
From
his bedroom window Abe Bellamy one morning saw smoke rising above the
trees in the direction of the house and grunted. He was up earlier in
these days, because the servants showed a pardonable reluctance to
entering the living part of the castle until the watchful police dogs
were leashed. These guardians of the night ranged, the castle at
large, and Julius once heard the soft patter of their feet in the
night and shivered. And the presence of dogs had been effective, for
since their arrival there had been no sign of the Green Archer.
Mr.
Bellamy caught a glimpse of a headline in the Daily Globe: "POLICE
DOGS GUARD THE CHICAGO MILLIONAIRE FROM A GHOSTLY ARCHER," and
growled angrily. But he had resigned himself to this undesirable
publicity; and although he bore a grudge against Spike Holland, he
did not feel called upon to wage a vendetta against the reporter,
though in the past he had ruined newspaper men for less. And on the
top of this Spike Holland had the audacity to appear at the lodge of
the castle and demand admission. This was the day following his
return from Belgium.
"Tell
him," snapped Abe Bellamy over the telephone, 'that if he comes
anywhere near I'll set my dogs on him."
"He
says he has some information about Creager, the man who was murdered
the other day."
"I
don't want to know it," roared Bellamy, and slammed down the
telephone.
A
little while later, going into the grounds on one of his restless
excursions, he stood stock still, momentarily paralysed with wrath
and astonishment. The red-haired reporter was walking calmly across
the green, a cigar in the corner of his mouth, his hands in his
pockets. One of these he removed to wave a cheerful greeting to the
dumbfounded millionaire.
"How
did you get here?"
"Over
the wall," said Spike brightly.
Abe
Bellamy's red face went a shade darker.
"You
can go over the wall again," he said harshly, "you've no
right here, you scum. Get!"
"See
here, Mr. Bellamy. There's no sense in making a fuss. I'm here, and
you might as well listen to me."
"Listen
nothing. Get out!"
The
old man came towards the reporter, and there was no doubt as to his
intentions.
"I
think you'd better listen," said Spike quietly and not budging
an inch. "The police have found a copy of a letter that Creager
wrote to you about a man called Z, and they are mighty anxious to
know the year it was written in and who was the man."
Instantly
Bellamy's attitude changed.
"A
letter?" he said incredulously. "Written to me? Did the
fool—did he keep copies of his letters?"
Spike
nodded.
"They
found hundreds of copies in his bureau. I guess it was a practice of
his."
Abe
Bellamy thought a while. Then: "Come inside," he said
gruffly, and Spike followed him, triumphant.
12.
THE GAS BILL
"Now,
let's hear all about this. How do you now about the letter, anyway?"
"I
was there when it was found," said Spike. "In fact, they'd
have passed it over if I hadn't seen it."
"They
would, would they?" said the old man grimly.
"I
saw it and made a copy before the inspector realised it was anything
important."
He
took out a pocket-book and extracted a sheet of paper, which he
opened and laid on the table.
"I'll
read it to you," he said. "There's no date, a fact that has
rattled the police. 'Re the man Z. He is in my ward, and he is a very
quick tempered fellow. I think I could do what you suggested at our
meeting, but you would have to pay me well, because I might lose my
job. Especially if anything went wrong and another warder saw me.
Also, it might be very painful for me and I might seriously injure
myself, and I must know where I stand financially. I don't like Z. He
is too smart and ready, with his tongue, and there has already been a
little trouble with him. If you want to go ahead with this, will you
see me tomorrow? I am going on my holidays and shall be staying with
relations at Henley. If it is convenient, perhaps you could see me
there.'
"(Signed)
J. CREAGER."
Abe
Bellamy read the letter twice, then folded it up and handed it back
to the reporter. "I don't remember receiving it. I know nothing
whatever about Z., whoever he may be, and I never paid him money
except for the service he rendered me."
His
tone was unusually mild, though Spike saw that it was only with an
effort that he was keeping his temper.
"But
it was at Henley he saved your life, wasn't it?" Spike
persisted. "It is rather a coincidence he should have fixed it
for you to meet him there. Maybe he knew you were going to fall into
the river?"
"I
want none of that fresh talk, Holland," exploded the old man.
"You have all the information you'll get from me. As to this
letter, there's no proof that he ever sent it. Maybe you faked it and
put it amongst his papers. What were you doing at the search,
anyway?"
Spike
folded the letter and put it back in his pocket.
"What
was I doing?" he repeated. "Well, I guess I was just
around. You've nothing to say to this letter, Mr. Bellamy?"
"Nothing.
I never received it. I know nothing whatever about the man he
mentions. I did not even know that Creager was a prison guard until I
read it in the Globe—my favourite newspaper," he added
sardonically, and Spike grinned.
"Well,
that's that," he said. "Any more news of the ghost?"
"You
get it before I do," replied Abe. "All the information I
have about that darned Green Archer I read in the Globe—a very fine
newspaper, full of accurate information. Say, I'd rather go without
my breakfast than the Daily Globe."
"I
suppose you don't mind my looking over the castle?"
"You
suppose wrong," said Abe. "You can look over the wall you
came across, and the sooner you look the better."
To
be perfectly sure that his unwelcome visitor had gone, he accompanied
him to the lodge gates, and the lodge-keeper's jaw fell at the sight
of him.
"These
walls are not high enough, Savini," said the old man after Spike
had departed. "Phone somebody in Guildford to come along and fix
barbed wire on the top. And, Savini—" Julius turned at the
door. "I didn't mention this before, but I think it will save
you a lot of trouble if I tell you now that a leather folder of mine,
where I keep a few photographs, is no longer in the drawer of my
desk; I've put it in the safe. If you want to look at 'em, maybe
you'll come along and ask me and I'll get 'em out for ye!"
Julius
did not feel called upon to reply, and was incapable of making any
adequate response, even if he had had the opportunity.
Garre
Castle had undergone considerable renovation before Abe Bellamy had
taken up his residence. Under the personal supervision of the old
builder, gangs of men had spent the greater part of a month carrying
out the work which he himself had planned. He was his own architect,
his own ganger. He had introduced a new water supply and had electric
light introduced into the castle and a system of gas radiation. There
were gas fires in every room except the library and a great range in
the kitchen.
This
gas supply was the cause of considerable perturbation in the mind of
Wilks, the butler, on the day Spike had made his unauthorised
entrance to the castle grounds. The household accounts went to
Bellamy direct, but by some accident there came to Mr. Wilks' pantry
and office the gas bill for the summer quarter, and he pondered on it
for a long time before he interviewed his master.
"What
is it?" asked Abe, scowling up at his servitor.
"This
gas bill, sir, is wrong; they have overcharged us," said Wilks,
gratified that he was able to approach the lord of Garre on a matter
in which he knew he would welcome instruction.
"Wrong?
What's wrong with it?"
"Well,
sir, they've sent us a heavy bill for one of the hottest months of
the year, when the gas range in the kitchen was out of order and we
had to use coal."
Bellamy
snatched the bill from the man's hand without looking at it. "Leave
it," he said.
"But
we couldn't have used a thousand feet of gas, and they've charged
us—"
"Leave
it!" thundered his employer. "And don't open the bills—see?
That's not your job."
It
was the last straw. Mr. Wilks was well paid, but he had suffered much
at the hands of this boorish boss of his, and his patience was
exhausted.
"I'm
not going to have you talk to me that way, Mr. Bellamy," he
said, "and I'll be glad if you'll give me my wages and let me
go. I'm not used to—"
"Don't
make speeches—go," said Abe. He put his hand in his pocket and
flung a note on the table. "There's your money. You'll be out of
this place in half an hour, or I'll know the reason why."
Spike
was taking a modest lunch at the village inn when the tremendous news
reached him. The dismissal of the castle butler was, to the village
of Garre, an event of world-shaking importance.
The
reporter left his lunch and went out to intercept the injured man.
"It
was absolutely impossible to live with him," said Wilks,
trembling with annoyance; "quite impossible, sir. He's not a
human being, he's a pig! And what with his seeing ghosts—"
"Have
you seen the ghost?"
"No,
sir, I haven't," said Wilks. "I cannot tell a lie; I have
seen no ghosts whatever, and my own opinion is that the ghost is an
invention of Mr. Bellamy's for his own vile purpose. When I call him
a pig, I am speaking as a man who has served in some of the best
families. He doesn't know how to live, sir! He's got one of the
handsomest dining-rooms in the country, and he takes his meals
hog-fashion in his library, which no gentleman ever does. And the
meals he eats, sir! They would feed three regular people. He has two
quarts of milk for breakfast, half a dozen eggs ... " He
enumerated Mr. Bellamy's prodigious appetite.
He
presented Mr. Bellamy in a new light to Spike. He never thought of
him as a person who ate or drank or possessed the normal appetites of
humanity. "What was the trouble that led to your leaving?"
he asked; and the butler told him. No gas whatever had been used
during the summer quarter, and the company had charged for
twenty-five thousand feet.
"It
was in his own interests I told him, and instead of being grateful,
as a gentleman should be, he turned round and treated me like a dog.
Well, naturally, Mr. Holland, I wasn't going to stand for that."
Spike
listened to the recital of the butler's woes, but gave little thought
to the question of the gas company's overcharge. Instead, he
skilfully directed the conversation back to the question of the
ghostly visitor, without, however, eliciting anything very startling
except the presence of the police dogs, which Spike knew about and
had already written up.
Nevertheless,
all the time Mr. Wilks was talking he was furnishing a London
newspaper with an interesting column which would eventually appear
under the heading: "My Life in the Haunted Castle."
Spike,
going back to town, decided to call at Scotland Yard. Jim
Featherstone was in, and the reporter was admitted immediately.
"Well, Holland, what's the news?" He pushed the cigar-box
across the table, and Spike chose with great care.
"There's
trouble in Garre Castle," he said. "The noble owner has
fired the butler for butting in about the gas bill. I suppose four
hundred years ago poor old Wilks would have been slung up by the neck
and would have joined the goodly company of ghosts that gather at
night to shoot dice in Abe's backyard."
"Say
that all over again, and very slowly," said Jim. "I am
rather dense this morning. First of all, what was wrong with the gas
bill?"
Spike
told him, and to his astonishment the detective pressed him for
details, questioning and requestioning until the reporter's brain
reeled. "What's wrong with the gas, anyway?" he said. "That
doesn't seem to me to be much of a clue, unless you suspect Abe of
running a secret whisky still."
"The
gas bill is the most important thing we've learnt from Garre Castle,"
said Jim Featherstone quietly. "I'm greatly obliged to you,
Holland. And, by the way, I'm going abroad for a week or two, so I
shan't be seeing you. But any information you get I'd be glad if you
would tell my assistant. I'll introduce you."
Spike
came into the news editor's room half an hour later. "Mr. Syme,
I'm certain that the big end of this Creager's story is to be found
in Garre Castle. The old man has just fired his butler, and we ought
to get one of our men into his place right away. I'd go myself, but
I've never buttled, and Bellamy would recognise my looks before I'd
been there an hour. Can't we send Mason or one of the other boys? We
could fix it so that an employment agency sent him down."
"It
is an idea," said the news editor.
It
was also an idea which occurred to two other interested persons,
almost simultaneously.
13.
THE DOGS HEAR A NOISE
"Wilful
murder against some person or persons unknown."
Abe
Bellamy read the report of the inquest upon Creager without emotion.
It meant no more to him than that the sum of four hundred and eighty
pounds a year, which he had paid for many years, would now be saved
to his pocket. It had been inconvenient and irritating to answer the
interminable questions which the police had put to him regarding his
acquaintance with the dead man; but that was all done with.
It
is a curious fact that the bizarre character of the man's death did
not stir him. Nor did he himself associate the method of killing with
the Green Archer. He was constitutionally prejudiced against
newspapers, and from the first he looked upon the bringing together
of the two circumstances as a stunt invented by journalists. Very
likely the man wasn't killed with an arrow at all. He was probably
stabbed by some old lag who had a grudge against him; and if it was
an arrow, then the murderer must have got his idea for a weapon out
of the newspapers.
One
thing he had noticed—and this had nothing whatever to do with the
murder—was the gloom of his secretary. He attributed this wrongly
to the revelation he had made that he knew Julius and his past, and,
believing this, was content to keep him in his employ. The presence
of the new tenants of Lady's Manor caused him a little annoyance.
They seemed in some indefinable way to encroach upon his majesty,
though he did not exactly put the thought into those words. Who they
were he neither knew nor cared. Except to Julius he never discussed
outside matters, and his servants did not address him unless he spoke
to them, and he never spoke except to complain.
A
few days after the dismissal of Wilks he had occasion to snap at the
new butler. "Young fellow, I want you to understand that I don't
wish you to come to any room where I am, unless I send for you. You
were knocking at the door of the library last night, though Mr.
Savini told you that I was not to be disturbed."
"I'm
very sorry, sir," said the butler deferentially. "The ways
of the castle are strange to me as yet, but I will not offend again."
More
than a fortnight had passed since the last appearance of the Green
Archer, and Bellamy had no difficulty in finding an explanation.
"There's
something about a police dog that a ghost doesn't like," he
said. "Or maybe there's something about a ghost that naturally
riles a police dog." That night he was awakened from his sleep
by the deep growl of one of the hounds, and, jumping out of bed, he
came into the corridor. The lights were all on, as he had ordered,
and one of the dogs stood stiffly in the centre of the passage,
facing the broad stone stairway which led to the hall below. The old
man whistled, and the dog turned and walked slowly towards him,
stopping to look back from time to time. Presently he was joined by
his companion, who came bounding up the stairs at the sound of the
whistle.
"What's
wrong with ye, eh?"
Abe
went back into his room, put on his dressing-gown, and slipped a gun
into his pocket. Then, followed by the dogs, he descended to the
hall. He saw nothing that was in any degree suspicious. Unlocking the
library door, he walked in, switched on the lights, and made a search
of the room without result. The big, heavy entrance-door was locked
and barred.
Satisfied,
he went upstairs again to his room. He had scarcely dozed off when
again came the deep-throated growl, and this time from both dogs. He
found them where he had seen them before.
They
stood, rigidly pointing towards the main staircase, and this time
when he whistled them one looked round but did not move.
He
called them sharply, and they came to him.
"What's
the matter with you, you fool?"
A
deep growl was the reply. Suddenly, as though they had seen
something, they lashed round together and flew like the wind along
the corridor, with Abe in pursuit. He found them in the hall, nosing
the floor, and this time he turned on all the lights in the hall and
made a search, but again without result. "You dogs are nutty,"
he grumbled.
They
were uneasy. Probably dogs had spells like these, he thought, and
went to bed. As he was dozing off he heard them growl again, but took
no further notice and went to sleep.
It
was five o'clock; when he awoke, and it was still dark. He got up and
pulled on his dressing-gown before he illuminated the room. And then
his eyes opened wider. The door was wide open, the outer door
unlocked, and he was certain that he had closed and fastened them
when he came to bed for the last time. What had the dogs been doing?
He went into the corridor to discover. At first he thought they were
dead, but they were lying, one behind the other, against the wall,
their legs outstretched. He shook one, and the dog opened his eyes,
looked at him stupidly for a second or two, and closed them again.
Doped!
thought the old man. So there had been something hidden all the time;
but it was something human. The Green Archer was flesh and blood; he
had never thought anything else.
The
dogs recovered in half an hour and seemed none the worse for their
misadventure. He himself took them down to the kennels. Why had the
Green Archer come? What had been his object? It was not for the sake
or demonstrating his ability to come in and out of the room at his
will that he had taken the risk attendant upon drugging the dogs.
What had he been seeking?
The
bedroom contained few valuables, and what there were had been left
intact. Robbery was not, obviously, the explanation for these visits.
It was equally certain that the Green Archer was no practical joker,
but had a very serious purpose.
Suddenly
the explanation flashed on the old man. The Green Archer was seeking
the key—the key that never left him by day and that was beneath his
pillow by night. He carried it in his pocket at the end of a long
steel chain. The first thing he did in the morning was to take it out
and loop the chain about his neck when he went to his bath. The last
thing he did at night was to return the key to his pillow.
It
was a curious instrument-very long and very narrow and thin. The key!
That was the explanation. And if it was that, then the Green Archer
knew the secret of Garre Castle!
He
almost ran into the library and slammed the door behind him. Savini,
hearing the sound half awake, dreamt that the old man had shot
himself, and smiled in his sleep.
14.
AT LADY'S MANOR
Spike
had had a letter from his friend in Belgium that morning. John Wood
was coming over at the end of the week and he wanted Spike to dine
with him. One portion of his letter interested the reporter: "I
was very grateful to you for the long account you sent me of Bellamy
and the extraordinary happenings at the castle. Since then I have had
the Globe and read your account, and the story of the Green Archer of
Garre is very remarkable. In your covering letter you say that the
Green Archer will sooner or later break the nerve of Abel Bellamy. As
I told you before, you are wrong. Nothing in the world is going to
frighten this evil man. Nor do I agree that it is inevitable that Abe
Bellamy will be killed by the hand that struck down Creager. I think
it is largely a matter of expediency with the destroyer, and Abe
Bellamy's fate depends entirely upon the nature of the discoveries
which are made by the man who is 'haunting' the castle."
The
letter went on to deal in detail with his new scheme and its
progress. He had succeeded in interesting a number of wealthy men in
America and England, and his plan had progressed beyond his wildest
hopes ... Spike did not read the latter part of the letter very
carefully, because for the moment he was not passionately interested
in child welfare. He was, however, immensely interested in Abe
Bellamy. He could not help wondering at the extraordinary difference
in the character of the two men. This brutal giant, who sat like an
ogre of old time in his fastness, emanating uncharity and hate, with
the gentle soul whose life's work was devoted to the interests of
humanity.
He
had a breakfast engagement with Mr. Howett, and he strolled along the
pretty lane that skirted the high walls of the castle. Presently the
Elizabethan chimneys of the old manor-house came into view. Spike was
something of an antiquarian, and like most Americans, was better
acquainted with the history of the historic buildings of England than
the Englishmen who saw them every day. The manor-house had been built
in the fifteenth century for a certain Isabel D'Isle, well beloved of
a de Curcy. It had been partially destroyed by fire in the days of
Elizabeth and immediately rebuilt, a fact which accounted for the
Elizabethan character of the architecture.
The
morning was bright, and, for the time of year, warm, and he found
Valerie Howett in the garden superintending the planting of bulbs.
"It looks as though you've settled down here for ever,"
smiled Spike as he shook hands.
"I
am settled here—for a long time," she said quietly. "You
will find father in his library. I am afraid you will think the house
rather muddled, Mr. Holland, but father's room is the most tidy of
all."
Something
of the melancholy which seemed to be a settled characteristic of Mr.
Howett had disappeared. He was bright, almost cheerful, and Spike,
not knowing the cause, thought it was the change of air, until his
host revealed his plans, showed him with some pride the papers he had
accumulated, and even consulted him about the introductory chapter.
"Have
you seen anything of your neighbour, Mr. Howett?"
"Who
is that? Bellamy?" Mr. Howett made a wry face. "No, and I
don't want to see much of him either. Thank Heaven he's rather an
unsociable man and he's not likely to be calling for tea! Holland,"
he added earnestly, "have you ever got into this tea habit of
ours? If you haven't, don't; it's fatal. It is worse than drugs. Once
you get the habit, you're a slave for ever."
The
grounds of Lady's Manor were not very extensive. There were little
less than two acres, and their boundaries were marked by the castle
wall. This Spike saw after breakfast, when the girl was showing him
round.
"There
seems to be a door here, Miss Howett."
"There
was," she said ruefully, "but Mr. Bellamy has filled up the
doorway on the other side."
"Maybe
he's afraid of the Green Archer," said Spike humorously, and
quickly added: "I hope that is not an indiscretion, Miss Howett.
You're not scared, are you?"
"No,
I'm not afraid," she answered.
Spike
surveyed the wall with a professional interest. "It is lower
here than anywhere else round the castle," he said, "and
you'd have all the opportunity you wanted if you were inclined to
make an excursion into Abe's feudal domain." He went forward and
put up his hands and could touch the top of the wall.
"Two
light ladders, and there you are. Gee! I'm beginning to envy you,
Miss Howett. I'm not going to ask you to let me burgle the castle
from your backyard, but if you gave me any encouragement I'd come
along one dark night and go look for that archer!"
She
laughed softly.
"I
shall give you no encouragement, Mr Holland," she said. And
then: "Have you seen Captain Featherstone lately?"
"No,
not since Monday last. He told me he was going abroad, though I
doubted that. Honestly, Miss Howett, I had an idea that he was the
new butler at the castle. I know he's very interested In Bellamy,
especially in the gas bill; though why the gas bill, Heaven knows!"
"What
is that?" she asked quickly, and Spike retailed the domestic
gossip of Garre.
"I
told Featherstone that they'd fired the butler, and it occurred to me
later that he might have applied for the job. These secret service
men make real good butlers; some of them make nothing else. To tell
you the truth, I had an idea of sending one of our men there, but by
the time our city editor had considered the matter and had taken
legal advice, and had examined his soul in the silence of the night
and prayed for spiritual guidance, the job had been filled. Thinking
it over, I decided that the new butler was Featherstone. For one
thing, they say he's a good-looker, and for another he never comes
into the village to give us a chance of seeing him. But I spoke to
Julius this morning, and I guess Julius has a streaky past, and there
are few officers of the law he isn't acquainted with. If the butler
had been Featherstone he'd have squealed to the old man."
She
was thinking. "Then Captain Featherstone was impressed by the
gas bill?"
Spike
nodded. "Maybe he's a family man," he said lightly. "Being
a bachelor, the tragedy of the gas bill has never appealed to me."
"Captain
Featherstone is not married," she said a little coldly, and went
crimson when Spike apologised for his mistake.
"I
don't know why you should apologise," she said with some
asperity. "I'm just telling you that he isn't married. Do you
know Julius Savini?" she said, turning the conversation. "Can
you tell me anything about him?"
"Why,
no," said Spike in surprise, "except that he's a Eurasian.
His father was an Englishman, his mother was an Indian woman, and I
should imagine that Julius has the weaknesses of both. He used to run
with the Crowley gang, though I have never known whether he was
victim or directing genius. The police broke the gang over a year
ago, and somehow Julius crept outside of the net, so maybe he was a
victim, or," he added, "a stool pigeon. I used to think it
strange that he was in Bellamy's employ, until I began to give it
thought, and then I realised that Julius was the type that would suit
the old man admirably. He was born a toady, he is utterly
unscrupulous, and he's frightened for his life of Bellamy. His head's
chock-full of stunt schemes for getting rich quick, but he has
neither the stamina nor the grit to carry them out. That is Julius. I
trust I am not doing him an injustice," he added hopefully.
"I
don't think you are," said Valerie.
Spike
had taken up his quarters at Garre indefinitely. Twice a day he was
in telephonic communication with the office; and although Mr. Syme
hinted that the Green Archer, as an excuse for loafing, had almost
outlived its usefulness, he would not take the responsibility of
bringing his subordinate back to town.
Spike
was speaking to the office that afternoon when he saw Valerie drive
past in her car, taking the London road. The telephone at the Blue
Boar was in the hall—a somewhat embarrassing circumstance for a man
who wished to carry on a private conversation, for it was within
earshot of the bar.
He
walked to the door and looked after her, and then a thought struck
him, and he came back to the telephone and called the office again.
In a quarter of an hour he was connected, which was fairly rapid for
that particular branch.
"Is
that you, Mr. Syme? Miss Howett has gone to London. Do any of our
boys know her? I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick her up. Not
for publication, you understand, but to give me a line?"
"Is
she a line to the Green Archer?" asked Mr. Syme's voice
sarcastically.
"She's
not only one line, but the big four," was the reply.
15.
AT EL MORA'S
Fay
Clayton lived a solitary but not exactly a lonely life. The terms in
her case were not synonymous. In her little flat in Maida Vale she
was more or less of a recluse, but she had a host of friends and many
venues where she could find recreation and amusement. It would not be
true to say that she missed Julius. To her husband she gave an
affection which none shared. She never had occasion to question his
loyalty, and certainly during the past few months her financial
position had been considerably improved.
She
was in her little kitchen ironing a blouse when there came a knock at
the door. Her maid (a euphonious title for the untidy woman who came
in daily to clean the flat) was out on her morning shopping
excursion, and Fay went to the door and opened it, expecting to see a
tradesman's boy. Instead, she met the gaze of a gaunt, hollow-eyed
man, wearing an ill-fitting suit, the creases in which would have
been eloquent to the initiated.
"Why,
Jerry!" she said, opening the door wider. "Come right in."
She closed the door behind him, and he followed her into her
sitting-room. "When did you come out?"
"This
morning," he said. "Have you got a drink? I'm dying for
one."
She
brought a bottle from the cupboard and a soda siphon, set it before
him, and he poured himself out a liberal dole. "That's fine,"
he said, smacking his lips, and the colour came into his pallid face.
"Where's Julius?"
"He's
not around, Jerry. He's got a job in the country."
He
nodded and looked inquiringly at the bottle. "You'll have no
more of that," she said, putting the whisky back in the cupboard
and locking it decisively. "What are you going to do?"
"I
don't know. I suppose the crowd are all scattered? Julius in a job,
eh? Is he going straight?"
"Certainly
he's going straight," said Fay indignantly; "And, Jerry,
you've got to find work too. The gang is broken up. Let it stay
broken."
They
were brother and sister, though none would guess the relationship
between the pretty girl and the hollow-faced gaol-bird.
"I
saw that copper Featherstone."
"Did
he see you coming here?" she asked.
He
shook his head. "No, I met him up West. He stopped and asked me
how I was and what I was going to do. He's not a bad fellow, that."
She
made a little face. "You're entitled to any illusion that comes
into your head, Jerry. What are you going to do?" she asked
again.
"I
don't know." He pushed his chair back and looked thoughtfully
down at the table-cover. "There's a crowd that's working the
Atlantic boats that want me to come in with them. I've never done
such work, and it will require a bit of capital—it costs a hundred
for the return fare—and there's always the chance of making a
voyage without meeting a single mug. I suppose you couldn't lend me
the money?"
She
bit her lip in thought. "I could," she said slowly.
"I'm
certain to make it pay," he said; "and it is safer. You
never hear of a ship's crowd being pinched." He looked round the
room. "It's good to be back. I'm tired of prison. I suppose I
can stay here?"
She
hesitated. "Yes, you can have Julius" room."
"Doesn't
he come here?" he asked with a frown.
"He
can't. I hear from him every other day, and I'm not complaining."
He
looked at his creased clothes with an expression of disgust. "I
shall want a new outfit. How are you off for money?"
"I
can arrange that for you," she said. "You can't go out like
that, Jerry. I hope nobody saw you come in. I thought they wouldn't
let you out for another six months."
He
laughed. "The prison doctor got me out," he said. "My
chest is bad, and I asked for special treatment, so they remitted a
part of the sentence. They don't want sick people in prison. I've got
some clothes in the cloakroom at Charing Cross Station," he said
suddenly. "Perhaps, if you got those for me, I shouldn't want
very much in the way of extras."
She
took the slip from him. That afternoon she went to the railway
station to secure the trunk. Taking a short-cut, her taximan brought
her through Fitzroy Square. It was a locality which was not unknown
to Fay, for there was a restaurant which had served her well in the
past. It was a place of little rooms, where people could gather,
certain that they were free from observation, and discuss matters of
considerable moment to themselves. It was a favourite rendezvous of
the gang in its palmiest days.
A
man was standing outside the entrance, and with a gasp she recognised
him. It was Julius. While she was leaning forward to tap frantically
on the glass a car drew up and a woman stepped out. She saw Julius
raise his hat, and then the two disappeared through the narrow
portals of El Moro's. Fay stopped the cab and got out. She had seen
Valerie Howett once before, and she knew her instantly.
Valerie
looked round curiously at the ornate sitting-room into which she was
ushered. Julius Savini dismissed the smirking waiter and closed the
door, sensing her repugnancio-a Portuguese word that came readily to
his lips and which exactly described Valerie's emotions. "I'm
sorry to bring you here, Miss Howett, but it is the only place where
I was certain we should be free from observation."
"What
sort of a restaurant is this?" she asked curiously.
"It
is very well known," said the tactful Julius. "Won't you
sit down, Miss Howett? I'm afraid I haven't very much to tell you,"
he said, when she had seated herself on the edge of a plush-covered
chair. "Mr. Bellamy is making it more and more difficult to
discover anything."
"Did
you get the photograph for me?"
He
shook his head. "When I went to take it I found the drawer
empty. Bellamy must have found that I had been searching his desk,
and he as good as told me so. I've taken a great many risks for you,
Miss Howett."
"And
I have paid you," she answered coldly. "I'm not quite sure,
Mr. Savini, that all the risks have been taken for my sake or for the
sake of the money I pay you. You have your own plans, of that I am
sure, and you are working as much for yourself as for me. But that is
not my business. I must have that photograph. You say there were
others?"
"There
was a portrait of his nephew," said Julius, and the girl's eyes
opened.
"His
nephew?" she said incredulously. "I didn't know he had any
relations at all?"
"I
only guess it is his nephew. He was killed in the war, anyway."
Fay
Clayton had guessed that Julius had a profitable side-line, and in
this she was not mistaken. Every scrap of information that Valerie
Howett obtained of Bellamy's doings, of his acquaintances and
movements, had come from the sleek Eurasian, and the girl's purse had
been the gold- mine from whence came Fay's enlarged income.
"There
was nothing on the back of the lady's photograph—nothing to
indicate whose picture it was? Oh, why didn't you take it when you
had the opportunity?"
"I'm
sorry I didn't," he said ruefully, "but if he'd found it
gone he would have fired me out. I shudder to think what would have
happened." And Julius did literally shudder.
"You
said in your note that the Green Archer had been and had drugged the
dogs."
"He
went into Bellamy's room too," nodded Julius. "There's only
one important piece of information I have for you, Miss Howett. The
old man wrote to Smith this morning. He made me take the letter to
the post office and register it. By the way, it was sealed, and from
its weight I should think there was money in it. Smith has more than
Creager had. About a hundred pounds a month I think the sum is. I
know, because I had to draw a hundred last month from the bank, and
that same night Mr. Bellamy came to me for money because he wanted to
pay Wilks—that was the old butler—for something that he'd
bought."
"Who
is the new butler?" asked Valerie.
"I
don't know him, miss. He's a very pleasant fellow, but I see very
little of him."
Valerie
thought awhile. She had made one unfortunate attempt to come into
contact with the second of Bellamy's hirelings, and it had nearly
ended disastrously. She was certain in her mind that through
Coldharbour Smith lay the solution to the mystery she was trying to
unravel.
"I
want to know more about that man," she said "You have found
nothing touching him?"
"Nothing.
Bellamy has very few private papers, and those are in the safe. It
would take an expert to open the door, and Mr. Bellamy keeps the key
with him all the time. It is the one key he carries, and it never
leaves him. I've been in his room in the morning before he has been
up and I've never seen it, so I imagine he takes it to bed with him."
"Let
me know at once if there is any fresh development. Mr. Bellamy is
getting in some new dogs, you told me?" she said with a faint
smile as she rose. "It will be easy to convey information now
that I am at the Lady's Manor. A note thrown over the wall-"
There
came from outside the sound of angry voices in altercation. Suddenly
the door was flung violently open and a woman appeared. Her face was
flushed, her eyes bright with fury, and it was some time before she
could master her voice to speak to the astonished girl. Then: "I'd
like to know what you are doing here with my husband, Miss Howett?"
she asked shrilly.
"Your
husband?" said Valerie, looking from the woman to the wilting
Julius.
"My
dear, it is quite all right. I am seeing this lady on business,"
quavered Julius.
"On
business, eh?" The woman stood with her hands on hips, surveying
her agitated husband. "That's a fine story. You've come to talk
business. Couldn't you talk to her at her hotel? What do you come
sneaking here for- "
"My
dear, I can explain everything. I was coming straight to see you—I
swear I was. I had some business with Miss Howett-important
business."
"And
does Miss Howett come here alone to see you on important business?"
said the woman, lashing herself into a fury. "Does she come to a
place like El Moro's without somebody to look after her? Of course
she doesn't!"
"Of
course she doesn't," said a cheery voice from the doorway. "Miss
Howett came with me."
And
then, to the amazed Valerie, Captain Featherstone said: "I came
up to ask you how much longer you'd be, Miss Howett. You haven't
forgotten that you've an engagement at four?"
Valerie
gathered up her furs and followed the detective down the stairs,
feeling very foolish and very angry; and she was peculiarly feminine
in that her anger was not directed either to Julius or his virago of
a wife, but to the man who had made so timely an appearance.
16.
A WARNING
Jim
Featherstone handed the girl into the car and followed her without
invitation.
"There
are some places where you can go, and others where I, your indulgent
chaperon, cannot allow you to be seen, and El Moro's is one of those
places. It is a house of call of the most undesirable type of
criminal, and I shall have something to say to brother Julius, when I
get him alone, for taking you there."
"It
was my fault," she said. "I asked him to find a place where
I should not be recognised and where we could be quite alone."
"May
I suggest," he said, "that in the future you go to the top
of St. Paul's Cathedral or in the Crypt of Westminster Abbey—both
highly respectable places?" Then, in another tone: "Julius,
of course, has been supplying you with information about Bellamy's
household. I suspected that all along. I warn you, Miss Howett, that
this man, though he will serve you up to a point more or less
faithfully, will not hesitate to double-cross you. He has a game of
his own—"
"I
know that," she said quietly. And then: "I suppose you've
been following me all day?"
"Most
of the afternoon," he said.
"Do
you know, Captain Featherstone, you are getting on my nerves."
"You
have been on my nerves for months," he answered calmly. "You
don't imagine that I'm getting any pleasure out of chasing you all
over London, do you?"
Instantly
she was penitent.
"I'm-I'm
very sorry," she said humbly. "But you have an
extraordinary knack of making me feel foolish, and I suppose I resent
that. I'm ever so grateful to you for coming to me at that moment. It
was more than a little embarrassing. Is she his wife?"
He
nodded.
"From
the almost childish pride which the excellent Fay has in displaying
her wedding ring I should imagine that this is a genuine marriage."
"I
thought you were abroad," she said.
"I
am very sorry I'm not abroad. If I were following my natural bent I
should be climbing the Tyrolean Alps," he said; and she did not
know how untruthful this young man could be, for there was no place
in the wide world he would have sooner been at that moment than by
her side in the smooth-running Rolls that was carrying them through
the busy West End.
Suddenly
she uttered an exclamation of annoyance.
"Oh,
I forgot to ask him—" she began. "And that was one of the
things I wanted to know."
"Perhaps
I can tell you," he said, but she shook her head.
"You
wouldn't be able to tell me what I want," she said, and he
laughed.
"Some
day you'll realise that as an information bureau I have no equal."
She
hesitated a second and then opened her bag and took out a stout
yellow package, which she unfolded carefully on her knees.
"I
see. A plan of the castle," said Jim immediately.
"It
is an old plan. I got it from a bookseller in Guildford. It is not
the castle as it is today, but as it was two hundred years ago. You
see, there are no living-rooms, and this place"-she pointed with
her finger-"which is the library, is called the Hall of
Justice."
He
nodded.
"It
was the place where the old de Curcys tried their prisoners," he
said promptly. "And that"—he pointed—"which is now
the entrance-hall of the castle, was the torture chamber, where
prisoners were induced to tell the truth. There are moments when I
regret the abolition of torture-rooms, for the crime which is most
prevalent in England today is the crime of wilful perjury. Now, if we
only had a few picturesque instruments of torture hanging above the
witness-chair—"
"Please
be serious," she said. "Are you sure that this is the
library?"
"Perfectly
sure. I have plans more modern than yours. I got them from the late
owner of the property."
"Could
you let me have them?" she asked eagerly.
"Why?"
"Well,
because I want them."
It
was not a particularly convincing argument, but to her surprise
Captain Featherstone agreed.
"I'm
giving you one piece of advice, my young friend," he said, "and
it is this. Go, if you wish, to Limehouse and investigate Coldharbour
Smith's little hell. Pay as many visits as you like to El Mora's, and
I'll undertake that nothing beyond your reputation for intelligence
shall be smirched. But do not try single-handed investigations at
Garre Castle." He spoke slowly and earnestly, and she could not
mistake his seriousness. "You'll never get in by ordinary
methods. I want you to promise me that you'll try nothing
extraordinary. Will you promise that?"
She
considered a while.
"No,"
she said frankly, "I cannot honestly promise that."
"But
what do you expect to find?" he asked in despair. "Do you
imagine old man Bellamy is leaving around written confessions for
intruders to read? Do you suppose for one moment that, even if you
got into the castle, you would make any tangible discovery? Leave it
in my hands, Miss Howett. I'm afraid for you. I'll be perfectly
truthful and tell you that. I'm afraid because I know something of
this vicious man. I'm afraid because of the dogs that would show you
no mercy. But most of all I fear the Green Archer!"
She
could not believe her ears.
"You
are actually afraid of the Green Archer?" she said. "Surely,
Captain Featherstone, you are joking?"
"I
am afraid of the Green Archer," he repeated doggedly. "Valerie,
you are blundering into the most terrible danger, danger that is no
less awful because it is vague. I do not ask your confidence; I do
not press you to tell me why you are seeking Mrs, Held, or what Mrs.
Held is to you, or even the circumstances of her disappearance. In
good time, perhaps, you will take me into your confidence. Your
father said you would."
"He
has told you nothing?"
Jim
shook his head. "Nothing. Will you promise me that you will not
attempt to get into the castle?"
"I
cannot promise that," she said. "I think you are
exaggerating the danger, and perhaps you are under-estimating the
importance of my search."
"Perhaps
I am," he said after a pause. "I think I'll get down here,
if you will be kind enough to stop your car."
It
was in Whitehall that he got out. Not until he had left her did she
begin to realise the character of the service he had rendered and was
still rendering. He believed in the Green Archer! She smiled. She
never expected that the Green Archer would make so extraordinary a
convert to the occult.
CONTINUED
IN
NEXT
INSTALMENT
No comments:
Post a Comment