THE CARPETBAGGERS
HAROLD ROBBINS
( INSTALMENT 5 )
THE STORY OF
RINA MARLOWE
BOOK FOUR
ONE
CAREFULLY RINA CLOSED THE MAGAZINE, turning down the corner of the page that she had been reading, and let it drop on the white sheet that covered her.
"Did you want something, dear?" Ilene's voice came from the deep armchair near the bed.
Rina turned to look at her. Ilene's face was thinned by concern. "No," Rina said. "What time is it?"
Ilene looked down at her watch. "Three o'clock."
"Oh," Rina said. "What time did the doctor say he'd come?"
"Four," Ilene answered. "There's nothing I can get for you?"
Rina shook her head. "No, thanks. I'm fine." She picked up the magazine again, riffled through the pages, then threw it back on the coverlet. "I wish to hell they'd let me out of here!"
Ilene was out of the chair now. She looked down at Rina from the side of the bed. "Don't fret," she said quickly. "You'll be out soon enough. Then you'll wish you were still here. I heard that the studio's just waiting for you to get out so they can put you to work in Madame Pompadour."
Rina sighed. "Not that old chestnut again. Every time they get stuck for a picture, they take that one down off the shelf and dust it off. Then they make a big announcement and as soon as they get all the trade stories and publicity they can, back it goes on the shelf."
"Not this time," Ilene said earnestly. "I spoke to Bernie Norman in New York yesterday. He has a new writer on it and said the script was shaping up great. He says it's got social significance now."
Rina smiled. "Social significance? Who's writing it—Eugene O'Neill?"
Ilene stared at her. "You knew all the time."
Rina shook her head. "No, I didn't. It was just a wild guess. Has Bernie really got O'Neill?"
Ilene nodded. "He expects to have a copy of the script sent over to you as soon as O'Neill is finished."
Despite herself, Rina was impressed. Maybe this time, Bernie really meant it. She felt a surge of excitement flow into her. O'Neill was a writer, not an ordinary Hollywood hack. He could make something of the story. Then the excitement drained out of her, leaving her even more weary than before. Social significance. Everything that was done these days bore the tag. Ever since Roosevelt took office.
"What time is it?"
"Ten after three," Ilene answered.
Rina leaned back against the pillow. "Why don't you go out and get a cup of coffee?"
Ilene smiled. "I’m all right."
"You've been here all day."
"I want to be here," Ilene answered.
"You go." Rina closed her eyes. "I think I'll take a little nap before the doctor comes."
Ilene stood there for a moment, until she heard the soft, shallow breath of rest. Then gently she straightened the covers and looked into Rina's face. The large eyes were closed, the cheeks thin and drawn tightly across the high cheekbones. There was a faintly blue pallor beneath the California tan. She reached down and brushed the white-blond hair back from Rina's forehead, then quickly kissed the tired mouth and left the room.
The nurse seated in the outer room looked up. "I’m going down for a cup of coffee," Ilene said. "She's sleeping."
The nurse smiled with professional assurance. "Don't worry, Miss Gaillard," she said. "Sleep is the best thing for her."
Ilene nodded and went out into the corridor. She felt the tightness in her chest, the mist that constantly had pressed against her eyes these last few weeks. She came out of the elevator and started for the coffee shop.
Still lost in her thoughts, she didn't hear the doctor until her hand was on the door. "Miss Gaillard?" For a moment, she had no voice. She could only nod dumbly. "Mind if I join you?"
"Not at all," she said.
He smiled and held the door open for her. They went inside to a corner table. The doctor waved his hand and two cups of coffee appeared before them. "How about a bun?" he asked. "You look as if you could use a little food." He laughed in his professional manner. "There's no sense in having another patient just now."
"No, thank you," she said. "The coffee will do fine."
The doctor put down his coffee cup. "Good coffee."
She nodded. "Rina is sleeping." She said the first thing that came into her mind.
"Good." The doctor nodded, looking at her. His dark eyes shone brightly through the bifocals. "Does Miss Marlowe have any relatives out here?"
"No," Ilene answered quickly. Then the implication hit her. She stared at him. "You mean ..." Her voice trailed off.
"I don't mean anything," the doctor said. "It's just that in cases like this, we like to know the names of the next of kin in case something does happen."
"Rina has no relatives that I know of."
The doctor looked at her curiously. "What about her husband?"
"Who?" Ilene's voice was puzzled.
"Isn't she married to Nevada Smith?" the doctor asked.
"She was," Ilene answered. "But they were divorced three years ago. She's been married since then to Claude Dunbar, the director."
"That ended in divorce, too?"
"No," Ilene answered tersely. Her lips tightened. "He committed suicide, after they'd been married a little over a year."
"Oh," the doctor said. "I’m sorry. I guess I haven't had much time these last few years to keep up with things."
"If there's anything special that needs to be done, I guess I’m the one who could do it," she said. "I'm her closest friend. She gave me power of attorney."
The doctor stared at her silently. She could read what was in his mind behind those shining bifocals. She drew her head up proudly. What did it matter what he thought? What did it matter what anyone thought now?
"Did you get the results from the blood tests?"
The doctor nodded.
She tried to keep her voice from shaking. "Is it leukemia?"
"No," he said. He could see the hope spring up in her eyes. Quickly he spoke to avoid the pain of disappointment. "It was what we thought. Encephalitis." He noted her puzzled expression. "Sometimes it's called sleeping sickness."
The hope in Ilene refused to die. "Then she has a chance?"
"A very small one," the doctor said, still watching her carefully. "But if she lives, there's no telling what she'll be like."
"What do you mean?" Ilene asked harshly.
"Encephalitis is a virus that settles in the brain," he explained slowly. "For the next four or five days, as the virus builds up in intensity, she will be subject to extraordinary high fevers. During these fevers, the virus will attack the brain. It is only after the fever breaks that we'll be able to tell how much damage she has sustained."
"You mean her mind will be gone?" Ilene's eyes were large with horror.
"I don't know," the doctor said. "The damage can take many forms. Her mind; perhaps she'll be paralyzed or partly so; she may know her own name, she may not. The residual effects are similar to a stroke. It depends on what part of the brain has been damaged."
The sick fear came up inside her. Quickly she caught her breath against it, her face paling. "Breathe deeply and sip a little water," the doctor said.
She did as he commanded and the color flooded back into her face. "Is there anything we can do? Anything at all?"
"We're doing everything we can. We know so little about the disease; how it's transmitted. In its more common form, in tropical countries, it's supposed to be carried by insects and transmitted by their bite. But many cases, in the United States and elsewhere, just appear, with no apparent causation at all."
"We just got back from Africa three months ago," Ilene said. "We made a picture there."
"I know," the doctor said. "Miss Marlowe told me about it. That was what first made me suspicious."
"But no one else is sick," Ilene said. "And we were all out there for three months, living exactly the same way, in the same places."
The doctor shrugged. "As I said, we aren't really sure what causes it."
Ilene stared at him. A note of bewilderment crept into her voice. "Why couldn't it be me?" she asked. "She has so much to live for."
The doctor reached across the table and patted her hand. With that one warm gesture, she no longer resented him, as she did most men. "How many times in my life have I heard that question? And I'm no closer to the answer now than when I first began to practice."
She looked at him gratefully. "Do you think we should say anything to her?"
His dark eyes grew large behind his glasses. "What purpose would it serve?" he asked. "Let her have her dreams."
******
Rina heard the dim voices outside the door. She was tired, weary and tired, and everything was a soft, blurred haze. Vaguely she wondered if the dream would come again. The thin edges of it poked at her mind. Good. It was coming.
Softly, comfortably now, she let herself slip down into it. Further and further she felt herself dropping into the dream. She smiled unconsciously and turned her face against the pillow. Now she was surrounded by her dream. The dream of death she had dreamed ever since she was a little girl.
TWO
IT WAS COOL IN THE YARD BENEATH THE SHADE of the giant old apple trees. Rina sat in the grass and arranged the dolls around the small wooden plank that served as a table.
"Now, Susie," she said to the little dark-haired doll. "You must not gulp your food."
The black eyes of the doll stared unwinkingly back at her.
"Oh, Susie!" she said in imaginary concern. "You spilled it all over your dress! Now I'll have to change you again."
She picked up the doll and undressed it quickly. She washed the clothes in an imaginary tub, then ironed them. "Now you stay clean," she exclaimed in pretended anger.
She turned to the other doll. "Are you enjoying your breakfast, Mary?" She smiled. "Eat it all up. It'll make you big and strong."
Occasionally, she would glance toward the big house. She was happy to be left alone. It wasn't very often that she was. Usually, one or the other of the servants would be calling her to come back in. Then her mother would scold her and tell her that she was not to play in the yard, that she must stay near the kitchen door at the far side of the house.
But she didn't like it there. It was hot and there was no grass, only dirt. Besides, it was near the stables and the smell of the horses. She didn't understand why her mother always made such a fuss. Mr. and Mrs. Marlowe never said anything when they found her there. Once, Mr. Marlowe even had picked her up and swung her high over his head, tickling her with his mustache until she almost burst with hysterical laughter.
But when she'd come inside, her mother had been angry and had spanked her bottom and made her go up to their room and stay there all afternoon. That was the worst punishment of all. She loved to be in the kitchen while her mother cooked the dinner. Everything smelled so good. Everybody always said her mother was the best cook the Marlowes had ever had.
She heard footsteps and looked up. Ronald Marlowe threw himself to the ground beside her. She looked down again and finished feeding Susie, then said in a matter-of-fact voice, "Would you like some dinner, Laddie?"
He sniffed disdainfully from the superiority of his lofty eight years. "I don't see anything to eat."
She turned toward him. "You're not looking," she said. She forced a doll's plate into his hand, "Eat it. It's very good for you."
Reluctantly he pretended to eat. After a moment, he was bored and got to his feet. "I’m hungry," he said. "I’m going in and get some real food."
"You won't get any," she said.
"Why not?"
"Because my mommy's still sick and nobody cooked."
"I'll get something," he said confidently.
She watched him walk away and turned back to her dolls. It was turning dusk when Molly, the upstairs maid, came out looking for her. The girl's face was red from crying. "Come, macushla," she said, sweeping Rina up in her arms. "It's your mither that wants to set eyes on ye again."
Peters, the coachman, was there, as was Mary, the downstairs maid, and Annie, the scullery helper. They were standing around her mother's bed and they made way for her as she came over. There was also a man in a black suit, holding a cross in his hand.
She stood very still near the bed, looking at her mother solemnly. Her mother looked beautiful, her face so white and calm, her white-blond hair brushed back softly from her forehead. Rina moved closer to the bed.
Her mother's lips moved but Rina couldn't hear what she was saying. The man in the black suit picked her up. "Kiss your mother, child," he said.
Obediently Rina kissed her mother's cheek. It was cool to her lips. Her mother smiled again and closed her eyes, then suddenly opened them and looked upward unseeingly. Quickly the man shifted Rina to his other arm. He reached down and closed her mother's eyes.
Molly held out her arms and the man gave Rina to her. Rina looked back at her mother. She was sleeping now. She looked beautiful, just as she did in the early mornings when Rina would awaken and stare at her over the edge of the bed.
Rina looked around the room at the others. The girls were crying, and even Peters, the coachman, had tears in his eyes. She looked up into Molly's face. "Why are you crying?" she asked solemnly. "Is my mommy dead?"
The tears came afresh in the girl's eyes. She hugged Rina closely to her. "Hush, child," she whispered. "We're crying because we love her."
She started out of the room with Rina in her arms. The door closed behind them and Rina looked up into her face. "Will Mommy be up in time to make breakfast tomorrow?"
Molly stared at her in sudden understanding. Then she sank to her knees in the hallway at the top of the back stairs. She rocked back and forth with the child in her arms. "Oh, my poor little child, my poor little orphan child," she cried.
Rina looked up at her and after a moment, the tears became contagious and she, too, began to cry. But she didn't quite know why.
Peters came into the kitchen while the servants were eating supper. Rina looked up at him and smiled. "Look, Mr. Peters." She laughed happily. "I had three desserts!"
Molly looked down at her. "Hush, child," she said quickly, the tears coming again to her eyes. "Finish your ice cream."
Rina stared at her thoughtfully and lifted the spoon again to her mouth. She couldn't understand why the girls began to cry every time they spoke to her. The home-made vanilla ice cream tasted cool and sweet. She took another spoonful.
"I just spoke to the master," Peters said. "He said it would be all right if we laid her out in my room over the stable. And Father Nolan said we could bury her from St. Thomas'."
"But how can we?" Molly cried, "when we don't even know if she was a Catholic? Not once in the three years she's been here did she go to Mass."
"What difference does that make?" Peters asked angrily. "Did she not make her confession to Father Nolan? Did she not receive the last rites from him and take the Holy Sacraments? Father Nolan is satisfied that she was a Catholic."
Mary, the downstairs maid, who was the oldest of the three girls, nodded her head in agreement. "I think Father Nolan is right," she said. "Maybe she'd done something and was afraid to go to Mass, but the important thing was that she came back to the church in the end."
Peters nodded his head emphatically. "It's settled, then," he said, starting for the door. He stopped and looked back at them. "Molly, take the child to sleep with you tonight. I'm goin' down to the saloon and get sivral of the boys to help me move her tonight. Father Nolan said he'd send Mr. Collins over to fix her up. He told me the church would pay for it."
"Oh, the good Father," Mary said.
"Bless him," Annie said, crossing herself.
"Can I have some more ice cream?" Rina asked.
There was a knock at the door and Molly opened it quickly. "Oh, it's you, mum," she exclaimed in a whisper.
"I came to see if the child was all right," Geraldine Marlowe said.
The girl stepped back. "Won't you come in, mum?"
Mrs. Marlowe looked over at the bed. Rina was sleeping soundly, her dolls, Susie and Mary, on either side of her. Her white-blond hair hung in tiny ringlets around her head. "How is she?"
"Fine, mum." The girl bobbed her head. "The poor darlin' was so exhausted with the excitement, she dropped off like that. Mercifully she doesn't understand. She's too young."
Geraldine Marlowe looked at the child again. For a moment, she thought of how it would be if she were the one to go, leaving her Laddie alone and motherless. Though, in a way, that was different, for Laddie would still have his father.
She remembered the day she had hired Rina's mother. Her references were very good although she had not worked for several years. "I have a child, ma'am," she'd said in her peculiarly precise schoolbook English. "A little girl, two years old."
"What about your husband, Mrs. Osterlaag?"
"He went down with his ship. He and the child never saw each other." She'd looked down at the floor for a moment. "We had the child late in life, ma'am. We Finns don't marry young; we wait until we can afford it. I lived on our savings as long as I could. I must go back to work."
Mrs. Marlowe had hesitated. A two-year-old child might turn out to be an annoyance.
"Rina would be no problem, ma'am. She's a good child and very quiet. She can sleep in my room and I'd be willing to have you take out of my wages for her board."
Mrs. Marlowe had always wanted a little girl but after Laddie was born, the doctor had told her there would be no more children. It would be good for Laddie to have someone to play with. He was getting entirely too spoiled.
She'd smiled suddenly. "There will be no deduction from your wages, Mrs. Osterlaag. After all, how much can a little girl eat?"
That had been almost three years ago. And Rina's mother had been right. Rina had been no trouble at all.
"What will happen to the child, mum?" Molly whispered.
Mrs. Marlowe turned to the servant girl. "I don't know," she said, thinking about it for the first time. "Mr. Marlowe is going to inquire in town tomorrow about her relatives."
The servant girl shook her head. "He won't find any, mum," she said positively. "I often heard the mither say there was no family at all." Her eyes began to fill with tears. "Oh, the poor, poor darlin'. Now she'll have to go to the county home."
Mrs. Marlowe felt a lump come up in her throat. She looked down at Rina, sleeping peacefully in the bed. She could feel the tears stirring behind her own eyes. "Stop your crying, Molly," she said sharply. "I'm sure she won't have to go to the county home. Mr. Marlowe will locate her family."
"But what if he doesn't?"
"Then we’ll think of something," she said. She crossed the room and stepped quickly out into the narrow hallway. There was a scuffling sound behind her. She turned around.
"Aisy now, boys!" She heard Peters' voice. Then he appeared, backing through the doorway across the hall. She pressed herself back to let them pass.
"Beggin' your pardon, mum," he said, his face flushed with exertion. "A sad, sad thing."
They went past with their shrouded burden, impregnating the still, warm air with a faint but unmistakable odor of beer. She wondered if she had done the right thing when she'd persuaded her husband to allow them to use the apartment over the stables. An Irish wake could well turn into a shambles.
She heard their heavy footsteps on the stairs as they carried Bertha Osterlaag, born in a small fishing village in Finland, down to her eventual funeral in a strange church, and her grave in a strange land.
THREE
HARRISON MARLOWE COULD SEE HIS WIFE'S HEAD bent over her embroidery from the doorway. He crossed the room quietly, and bending over the back of her chair, quickly kissed her cheek. His wife's voice held the usual delightful shock. "Oh, Harry! What if the servants are watching?"
"Not tonight." He laughed. "They're all thinking about their party. I see Mary's all dressed up."
A tone of reproach came into his wife's voice. "You know it's not a party they're having."
He crossed in front of her, still smiling. "That's not what they call it," he said. "But leave it to the Irish to make a party out of anything." He walked over to the sideboard. "A little sherry before dinner?"
"I think I’d like a Martini tonight, if you don't mind, dear," Geraldine said hesitantly.
He turned in half surprise. When they had been in Europe on their honeymoon a bartender in Paris had introduced them to the new drink and ever since, it had served as a sort of signal between them.
"Of course, my dear," he said. He pulled at the bell rope. Mary appeared in the doorway. "Some cracked ice, please, Mary."
The girl curtseyed and disappeared. He turned back to the sideboard and took down a bottle of gin, the French vermouth and a tiny bottle of orange bitters. Using a measuring jigger, he carefully poured three jiggers of gin into the cocktail shaker and one of vermouth. Then ceremoniously he allowed four drops of bitters to trickle into the shaker. By this time, the ice was already on the sideboard beside him and he filled the shaker to the brim with ice. Carefully he put the top on the shaker and began to shake vigorously.
At last, the drink was cold enough. He unscrewed the cap and carefully poured the contents into glasses. The shaker empty, he dropped a green olive into each glass, then stood back and surveyed them with approval. Each glass was filled to the brim—one more drop and it would overflow, one drop less and it would not be full.
Geraldine Marlowe lifted hers to her lips. She wrinkled her nose in approval. "It's delicious."
"Thank you," he said, lifting his own glass. "Your good health, my dear."
He put his glass down wonderingly and looked at his wife. Perhaps what he had heard was true—that women didn't really bloom until they were older, and then their desire increased. He calculated swiftly. He was thirty-four; that made Geraldine thirty-one. They had been married seven years and with the exception of their honeymoon, their life had assumed a pattern of regularity. But now, twice in less than a week. Perhaps it was true.
If it was, it was all right with him. He loved his wife. That was the only reason he went down to that house on South Street. To spare her the humiliation of having to endure him more than she wanted. He lifted his drink again.
"Did you find out anything about Bertha's family today?" she asked.
Harrison Marlowe shook his head. "There's no family anywhere. Perhaps in Europe, but we don't even know what town she came from."
Geraldine looked down at her drink. Its pale golden color glowed in the glass. "How terrible," she said quietly. "What will happen to the child now?"
Harrison shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. I suppose I'll have to notify the authorities. She'll probably go to the county orphanage."
"We can't let that happen!" The words burst from Geraldine's lips involuntarily.
Harrison stared at her in surprise. "Why not?" he asked. "I don't see what else we can do."
"Why can't we just keep her?"
"You just can't," he said. "There are certain legalities involved. An orphaned child isn't like a chattel. You can't keep her because she happens to be left at your house."
"You can speak to the authorities," Geraldine said. "I'm sure they would prefer to leave her with us rather than have her become a public charge."
"I don't know," Harrison said. "They might want us to adopt her to make sure that she doesn't become a charge."
"Harry, what a wonderful idea!" Geraldine smiled and got out of her chair, then walked to her husband. "Now, why didn't I think of that?"
"Think of what?"
"Adopting Rina," Geraldine said. "I’m so proud of you. You have such a wonderful mind. You think of everything."
He stared at her speechlessly.
She placed her arms around his neck. "But then you always wanted a little girl around the house, didn't you? And Laddie would be so happy to have a little sister."
He felt the soft press of her body against him and the answering surge of warmth well up inside him.
She kissed him quickly on the lips, then, as quickly, turned her face away from him almost shyly as she felt his immediate response.
"Suddenly, I'm so excited," she whispered meaningfully, her face half hidden against his shoulder. "Do you think it would be all right if we had another Martini?"
******
Dandy Jim Callahan stood in the middle of his office, looking at them. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I don't know," he said slowly. "It's a difficult thing you ask."
"But, surely, Mr. Mayor," Geraldine Marlowe said quickly, "you can do it."
The mayor shook his head. "It's not so easy as you think, my dear lady. You forget the church has something to say about this, too. After all, the mother was Catholic and you just can't take a Catholic child and turn it over to a Protestant family. At least, not in Boston. They'd never stand for it."
Geraldine turned away, the disappointment showing clearly in her face. It was then for the first time that she saw her husband as something other than the nice young Harvard boy she had married.
He stepped forward and there appeared in his voice a quality of strength that she had never heard before. "The church would like it even less if I were to prove that the mother was never a Catholic. They'd look pretty foolish then, wouldn't they?"
The mayor turned to him. "You have such proof?"
"I have," Marlowe said. He took a sheet of paper out of his pocket. "The mother's passport and the child's birth certificate. Both clearly state they were Protestant."
Dandy Jim took the papers from him and studied them. "If you had these, why didn't you stop them?"
"How could I?" Marlowe asked. "I didn't receive them until today. The servants and Father Nolan made all the arrangements last night. Besides, what difference does it make to the poor woman? She's getting a Christian burial."
Dandy Jim nodded and gave the papers back. "This will be very embarrassing to Father Nolan," he said. "A young priest with his first church making a mistake like that. The Bishop won't like it at all."
"The Bishop need never know," Marlowe said.
Dandy Jim stared at him thoughtfully but didn't speak.
Marlowe pressed. "There's an election coming up next year."
Dandy Jim nodded, "There's always an election."
"That's true," Marlowe said. "There will be other elections and campaigns. A candidate needs contributions almost as much as he needs votes."
Dandy Jim smiled. "Did I ever tell you I met your father?"
Marlowe smiled back. "No, you didn't. But my father often mentioned it. He told me many times how he threw you out of his office."
Dandy Jim nodded. "That's true. Your father has a wild temper. One would almost take him for an Irishman. And all I did was ask him for a small campaign contribution. That was about twenty years ago. I was running for City Council then. Do you know what he said to me then?"
Marlowe shook his head.
"He swore that if ever I was so much as elected to the post of dog-catcher, he'd take his family and move out." Dandy Jim was smiling. "He won't like it when he hears you've contributed to my campaign fund."
Marlowe stood his ground. "My father is my father and I respect him very much," he said, "but what I do with my money and my politics is my concern, not his."
"You have other children?" Dandy Jim asked.
"A boy," Geraldine answered quickly. "Laddie is eight."
Dandy Jim smiled. "I don't know," he said. "Someday women will have the vote and if that little girl is brought up on the hill, that's one vote I may never get."
"I promise you this, Mr. Mayor," Geraldine said quickly. "If that day ever comes, the women of my household will always vote for you!"
Dandy Jim's smile grew broader. He made a courtly bow. "It is a weakness of politicians to always be making deals."
The next day, Timothy Kelly, the mayor's secretary, appeared at Marlowe's office in the bank and picked up a check for five hundred dollars. He suggested that Marlowe talk to a certain judge in the municipal court.
It was there the adoption was made. Quickly, quietly and legally. When Marlowe departed the judge's chambers, he left with the judge a birth certificate for one white female child named Katrina Osterlaag.
In his pocket was a birth certificate in the name of his daughter, Rina Marlowe.
FOUR
UNDERNEATH THE OVERSIZED UMBRELLA PLANTED in the sand, Geraldine Marlowe sat in a canvas chair, her parasol at her side. Slowly she moved her fan back and forth.
"I can't remember a summer as hot as this," she said breathlessly. "It must be over ninety here in the shade."
Her husband grunted from the chair next to hers, his head still immersed in the Boston newspaper, which arrived on the Cape one day late.
"What did you say. Harry?"
He folded his paper and looked at his wife. "That Wilson's a damn fool!"
Geraldine was still looking at the ocean. "What makes you say that, dear?"
He tapped the paper vigorously. "That League of Nations thing. Now he says he's going to Europe and see to it that peace is insured."
Geraldine looked at him. "I think that's a wonderful idea," she said mildly. "After all, we were lucky this time. Laddie was too young to go. The next time, it may be different."
He snorted again. "There won't be a next time. Germany is through forever. Besides, what can they do to us? They're on the other side of the ocean. We can just sit back and let them kill each other off if they want to start another war."
Geraldine shrugged her shoulders. "You better move in closer under the umbrella, dear," she said. "You know how red you get in the sun."
Harrison Marlowe got up and moved his chair farther under the umbrella. He settled back in the chair with a sigh and buried himself in the newspaper once more.
Rina appeared suddenly in front of her mother. "It's been an hour since I had lunch, Mother," she said. "Can I go into the water now?"
"May I," Geraldine corrected automatically. She looked at Rina. She had grown up this summer. It was hard to believe she was only thirteen.
She was tall for her age, almost five three, only one inch shorter than Laddie, who was three years older. Her hair was bleached completely white from the sun and her skin was deeply tanned, so dark that her almond-shaped eyes seemed light by comparison. Her legs were long and graceful, her hips just beginning to round a little and her breasts came full and round against her little girl's bathing suit, more like a sixteen-year-old's.
"May I, Mother?" Rina asked.
"You may," Geraldine nodded. "But be careful, dear, don't swim too far out. I don't want you to tire yourself."
But Rina was already gone. Geraldine Marlowe half smiled to herself. Rina was like that; she was like none of the other girls Geraldine knew. Rina didn't play like a girl. She could swim and outrun any of the boys that Laddie played with and they knew it. She didn't pretend to be afraid of the water or hide from the sun. She just didn't care whether her skin was soft and white.
Harrison Marlowe looked up from his paper. "I have to go up to the city tomorrow. We're closing the Standish loan."
"Yes, dear." The faint, shrill voices of the children floated lazily back toward them. "We'll have to do something about Rina," she said thoughtfully.
"Rina?" he questioned. "What about Rina?"
She turned to him. "Haven't you noticed? Our little girl's growing up."
He cleared his throat. "Umm—yes. But she's still a baby."
Geraldine Marlowe smiled. It was true what they said about fathers. They spoke more about their sons but secretly they delighted in their daughters. "She's become a woman in the past year," she said.
His face flushed and he looked down at his paper. In a vague way, he had realized it, but this was the first time they had spoken about it openly. He looked toward the water, trying to find Rina in the screaming, splashing crowd. "Don't you think we ought to call her back? It's dangerous for her to be so far out in the deep water."
Geraldine smiled at him. Poor Harrison. She could read him like a book. It wasn't the water he was afraid of, it was the boys. She shook her head. "No. She's perfectly safe out there. She can swim like a fish."
His embarrassed gaze met her own. "Don't you think you ought to have a little talk with her? Maybe explain some things to her. You know, like I did with Laddie two years ago?"
Geraldine's smile turned mischievous. She loved to see her husband, who was usually so sure of himself, positive about his tiniest conviction, flounder around like this. "Don't be silly, Harry." She laughed. "There's nothing I have to explain to her now. When a thing like that happens, it's just natural to tell her everything she should know."
"Oh," he said in a relieved voice.
She turned thoughtful again. "I think Rina's going to be one of those lucky children who make the transition from adolescence without any of the embarrassing stages," she said. "There's not the slightest trace of gawkiness about her and her skin is as clear as a bell. Not a sign of a blemish or a pimple. Not like Laddie at all."
She turned back toward the ocean. "Just the same, I think we'd better do something about Rina. I’d better get her some brassières."
Marlowe didn't speak.
She turned to him again. "I honestly think her bust is as large as mine already, I do hope it doesn't get too big. She's going to be a very beautiful girl."
He smiled slowly. "Why shouldn't she be?"
She reached for his hand, quietly returning his smile. They both knew what he meant. Neither of them ever thought of Rina as anything but their own natural child.
"Would you mind very much if I came into town with you tonight?" she asked softly. "It would be nice to stay in a hotel for one evening."
He pressed her hand. "I think it would be very nice."
"Molly could look after the children," she said. "And I’d have time to do a little shopping tomorrow before we return."
He looked at her and grinned. "I agree with you," he said in a mock-solemn voice. "The cottage down here is a little crowded. I'll call the hotel and make sure they have a shakerful of Martinis waiting for us the moment we arrive."
She dropped his hand. "You lecher!" she exclaimed, laughing.
******
Rina swam with easy, purposeful strokes, her eyes fixed on the diving raft out past the rolling surf. Laddie should be out there with his friend Tommy Randall. She came up out of the water almost at their feet. The boys were stretched out on their backs, faces up to the sun, and they sat up as Rina began to climb the ladder.
Laddie's face showed his annoyance at her invasion of their sanctum. "Why don't you stay back there with the girls?"
"I've got as much right out here as you have," she retorted, after catching her breath, straightening the shoulder straps of her too-small bathing suit.
"Aw, go on," Tommy said, looking up. "Let her stay."
Rina glanced at him swiftly from the corners of her eyes and saw his gaze fixed on her partly revealed breasts. It was at that exact moment that she began to turn into a woman.
Now even Laddie was staring at her with a curious look she had never before noticed in his eyes. Instinctively she let her hands fall to her sides. If that was all it took to make them accept her, let them look. She sat down opposite them, still feeling their gaze on her.
A dull ache began to throb in her breasts and she looked down at herself. Her nipples were clearly limned against the black jersey of her bathing suit. She looked up again at the boys. They were staring at her quite openly now.
"What are you looking at?"
The two boys exchanged quick, embarrassed glances and immediately looked away. Tommy fixed his eyes out over the water and Laddie looked down at the raft.
She stared at Laddie. "Well?"
The red flush crept up from Laddie's throat.
"I saw you. You both were looking at my chest!" she said accusingly.
The boys again exchanged quick glances. Laddie got to his feet. "Come on, Tommy," he said. "It's getting too crowded out here!"
He dove from the raft and a moment later, his friend followed. Rina watched them swimming toward the shore for a moment, then stretched back on the raft and stared up into the bright sky. Boys were strange creatures, she thought.
The tight bathing suit cut into her breasts. She shrugged her shoulders and her breasts leaped free of the encumbering suit. She looked down at herself.
They were white against the dark tan of her arms and throat and the nipples were flushed and pink and fuller than she had ever seen them before. Tentatively she touched them with her fingertips. They were hard as tiny pebbles and a warm, pleasant kind of pain flashed through them.
The warmth of the sun began to fill them with a sweet, gentle ache. Slowly she began to massage the ache away and gradually the warmth spilled from her breasts down into her body. She felt herself go hazy with a contentment she had never known before.
5
RINA STOOD IN FRONT OF THE MIRROR AND ADJUSTED the straps on the brassière. She took a deep breath. She turned to her mother, sitting on the bed behind her.
"There, Mother," she said proudly. "How does it look?"
Geraldine looked at her daughter doubtfully. "Perhaps if you moved it to the last hook," she said hesitantly and delicately.
"I tried, Mother," Rina answered. "But I can't wear it like that. It cuts into me."
Geraldine nodded. Next time, she would get a larger size but who ever would have thought a thirty-four would be so tight on such a slender frame?
Rina turned back to the mirror and looked at herself with satisfaction. Now she was beginning to look outside more like she felt inside. She noticed her mother watching her in the mirror.
"Do you think I could get some new bathing suits too, Mother?" she asked. "The ones I have are too small for me."
"I was just thinking that," her mother answered. "And some new dresses, too. Maybe Daddy will drive us down to Hyannis Port after breakfast."
Rina flashed a happy grin and ran to her mother. She threw her arms around her. "Oh, thank you, Mother!" she cried happily.
Geraldine drew Rina's head down to her breast. She kissed the top of the white-blond head and turned the child's tanned face up to hers. She looked down into Rina's eyes, her fingers lightly stroking her daughter's cheek. "What is happening to my little girl?" she asked almost sadly.
Rina caught her mother's hand and kissed her open palm. "Nothing, Mother," she said with the sureness and confidence that was to become an integral part of her. "Nothing but what you told me. I’m growing up."
Geraldine looked down into her daughter's face. A sudden mist came into her eyes.
"Don't be in too much of a hurry, my baby," she said, pressing Rina's head closely to her bosom. "We have too few years for childhood."
But Rina scarcely heard her. And if she had, it was doubtful that the words would carry any meaning. For they were only words and words were as futile against the strong forces awakening inside her as the waves breaking fruitlessly against the shore outside the window.
******
Laddie turned and swiftly threw the ball to first base. The runner spun and slid back toward safety, his heels kicking up a fine spray of dust. When the dust cleared, they could hear the umpire call, "Yer out!" and the game was over.
The boys clustered about him, pounding his back happily. "Swell game, Laddie!" "Good pitching!" Then they dispersed and he and Tommy were alone, threading their way back to the beach.
"What yuh doin' this afternoon?" Tommy asked.
Laddie shrugged his shoulders. "Nothin'." He was still thinking about that wild pitch that Mahoney hit for a home run. He should never have let the ball get away from him like that. He had to do better if he wanted to make the varsity team at Barrington the next spring. He made up his mind to spend an hour every afternoon pitching into a barrel. They said that was how Walter Johnson had developed his control.
"The Bijou's got a new Hoot Gibson picture," Tommy said.
"I saw it back in Boston." Laddie looked at his friend. "When's Joan coming down again?"
"My cousin?" Tommy asked.
"Yuh know anyone else by that name?" Laddie asked sarcastically.
"Maybe this weekend," Tommy answered.
"Then maybe we'll take her to the movies." Laddie said.
"Big deal!" Tommy snorted. "It's O.K. for you but what about me? It’s no fun sitting next to you and watching you cop feels. Who'm I goin’ to take?"
"I don't know," Laddie answered.
Tommy walked along for a moment, then snapped his fingers. "I got it!" he said excitedly.
"Who?"
"Your sister. Rina."
"Rina?" Laddie said. "She's just a kid."
Tommy laughed. "She ain't such a kid. They're really poppin' out on her. They look even bigger lately than when we seen 'em on the raft a couple weeks ago."
"But she's only thirteen," Laddie said.
"My cousin Joan's only fourteen now. She was thirteen last summer when you were nuzzlin' her on the back porch."
Laddie looked at him. Maybe Tommy was right. Rina was growing up. He shrugged his shoulders. "O.K.," he said finally. "You ask her. It won't do any good, though. I don't think my mother will let her go."
"She will if you ask her," Tommy said surely.
"I’m goin' in to shower an' put on my suit," Laddie said. "I’ll meet yuh on the beach."
"O.K.," Tommy answered. "See yuh."
The cottage was cool and silent after the heat and noise at the game. Slowly Laddie walked through to the kitchen. "Molly?" he called.
There was no answer and he remembered it was Thursday, Molly's day off. He heard a noise upstairs and walked over to the staircase. "Mother?"
Rina's voice came down to him. "They drove down to Hyannis Port to have dinner with some people."
"Oh," he said. He went back into the kitchen and opened the icebox. He took out a bottle of milk and a piece of chocolate cake and put them on the table. He drank the milk from the bottle and ate the cake with his fingers. It wasn't until after he had finished that he remembered he'd promised himself he wouldn't touch any sweets in hopes that his skin would clear up.
He sat there in a kind of lethargy. He heard the bathroom door slam and footsteps leading back to Rina's room. Idly he wondered what she was doing home at this time of the afternoon. Usually she was down at the beach already with her giggling bunch of silly girl friends.
Maybe Tommy was right. She was growing up. Certainly the way she brazenly sat there on the raft with her boobs half hanging out and letting them goggle at her didn't make her seem like a kid. Tommy was right about one thing, though. They were bigger than his cousin's.
A picture of Rina sitting on the raft flashed through his mind: the way she looked at them while they looked at her; her hair falling wet and straight to her shoulders, her lower lip pouting and kind of heavy.
He felt a familiar heat surge through him. He half groaned aloud. Oh, no, not again. He'd promised himself after the last time, he'd stop. He got to his feet abruptly. He wouldn't do it this time. He picked up the empty plate and put it in the sink, then walked out of the kitchen and started up the stairs. He'd grab a cold shower and then beat it out to the beach.
Rina's room was opposite the head of the staircase and the door was partly open. He was almost halfway up when the light spilling from her room caught his eye. There was a movement inside the room and he stopped on the staircase, his heart pounding. Slowly he sank to his knees so that only his eyes were above the top of the landing.
Rina had just crossed the room and was standing in front of the mirror, her back to the door, clad only in a brassière and a pair of bloomers. While he watched, she reached behind her and unfastened the brassière, then, half turning, stepped out of the bloomers. Holding them in her hand, she crossed the room and came back in a moment, carrying a bathing suit. She paused again in front of the mirror and stepped into the suit. Slowly she pulled it up over her breasts and straightened the shoulder straps.
He felt faint beads of perspiration across his forehead. This was the first time he had ever seen a grown-up girl completely naked. He had never thought they could be so beautiful and exciting.
Walking quietly, he passed her room and went into his own. He closed the door and sank, still trembling, to the bed. For a long moment, he sat there, the pain of the heat surging inside him bending him almost double.
Slowly he reasoned with himself. No. He mustn't. Not again. If he gave in to it now, he would always give in to it. At last, he began to feel better. He wiped his forehead with his arm and got to his feet.
All you needed was a little self-control and determination. He began to feel proud of himself. What he had to do was remove himself from all kinds of temptation. That meant everything. Even the French pictures he had bought from the candy store down in Lobstertown.
Quickly he opened a dresser drawer and burrowing underneath a broken slat, came out with the pictures. He placed them on the dresser drawer face down. He wouldn't even look at them one last time. He'd flush them down the toilet when he went in to take his shower.
He undressed rapidly and put on his bathrobe. He walked back to the dresser and caught a glimpse of his face in the mirror. It was filled with a noble resolve. It was amazing how quickly resolution could reflect itself. He turned and left the room, forgetting the pictures that lay on the dresser.
He was drying himself in front of the mirror when he heard her footsteps turn down the hall to his room. Suddenly, he froze as he remembered. The pictures were still on the dresser. He grabbed for the bathrobe on the door behind him.
It was too late. When he got to his room, she was standing near the dresser, the pictures in her hand. She looked up at him in surprise. "Laddie, where did you get these pictures?" she asked, a curious excitement in her voice.
"Give them to me!" he demanded, walking toward her.
"I will not!" she retorted, turning her back to him. "I haven't finished looking at them yet."
Lithely she spun away from his outstretched hand, across the room to the far side of the bed. "Let me finish," she said calmly. "Then you can have them back."
"No!" he shouted hoarsely, flinging himself across the bed at her.
She turned to avoid his grasp but his hand caught her shoulder. The pictures flew from her hand as she fell to the bed beside him. She reached for the pictures. His hand caught at her shoulder strap to keep her from getting them, and the strap broke in his hand. He froze suddenly, staring at one white breast that had escaped the bathing suit.
"You broke my strap," she said quietly, making no move to cover herself, her eyes watching his face.
He didn't answer.
She smiled slowly and raised her hand to her breast, rubbing her palm gently across the nipple. "I'm just as pretty as any of the girls in those pictures, aren't I?"
He was fascinated, unable to speak, his eyes following the deliberate movement of her hand. "Aren't I?" she asked again. "You can tell me. I won't tell anyone. Why do you think I let you watch while I was undressing?"
"You knew I was watching?" he asked in surprise.
She laughed. "Of course, stupid. I could see you in the mirror. I almost burst out laughing. I thought your eyes would pop out of your head."
He could feel the tension begin to build up inside him. "I don't think that's funny."
"Look at me," she said. "I like you to look at me. I wish everybody could."
"That's not right," he said.
"Why isn't it?" she demanded. "What's wrong with it? I like to look at you, why shouldn't you look at me?"
"But you never did," he said quickly.
A secret smile came to her lips. "Oh, yes I did."
"You did? When?"
"The other afternoon when you came back from the beach. There was no one home and I watched you through the bathroom window. I saw everything you did."
"Everything?" The word escaped from him in a groan of dismay.
"Everything," she said smugly. "You were exercising your muscle." Her eyes looked into his. "I never knew it could get so big. I always thought it was little and kind of droopy like it was when you were a little boy."
There was a tightness in his throat and he could hardly speak. He began to get up from the bed. "I think you better get out of here," he said hoarsely.
She looked up at him, still smiling. "Would you like to look at me again?"
He didn't answer.
Her hand reached up and took down the other shoulder strap. She wriggled out of her bathing suit. He stared down at her naked body, feeling his legs begin to tremble. He saw her eyes move down over him. His bathrobe hung open. He looked at her again.
"Now take off your bathrobe and let me see all of you," she said.
As if in a daze, he let the bathrobe slip to the floor. With a groan, he sank to his knees beside the bed, holding himself.
Quickly she rolled across the bed and looked down at him. A faint sound of triumph came into her voice. "Now," she said, "you can do it for me."
His hand reached up to touch her breast. She let it rest there for a moment, then suddenly moved away from him. "No!" she said sharply. "Don't touch me!"
He stared at her dumbly, the agony pouring through him in waves.
Her heavy-lidded eyes watched him.
"Do it for me," she said in a husky voice. "And I’ll do it for you. But don't touch me!"
SIX
ALL THROUGH THE MOVIE, LADDIE COULD HEAR THEM giggling and whispering. He could imagine what they were doing in the darkened theater, even though he couldn't see. His mind flamed with visions.
Now Tommy was offering Rina a gumdrop. He could see him casually holding the bag toward her, the back of his hand seemingly accidentally pressing against her breast. Laddie shifted restlessly in his seat, trying to pierce the dark out of the corner of his eye, but it was a waste of time. He couldn't see anything.
"May I have some candy?" Joan's voice came from the darkness.
"What?" he asked, startled for a moment. "Yeah. Sure." He held the bag toward her.
She turned as she helped herself from the bag and he felt the soft press of her breasts. But it served only to remind him of Rina. He sank back into his seat unhappily.
They stopped in front of Tommy's cottage on the way home. "How about some pop?" Joan asked. "We've got a big bottle in the icebox."
Laddie shook his head. "No, thanks," he said quickly. "It's almost eight o'clock and I promised Mother we'd be home before dark."
Rina didn't say anything.
"Maybe you could come over later?" Joan asked. "After you've taken Rina home?"
Rina looked at him. He flushed. "I don't think so," he answered. "I’m pretty tired. I wanted to get to bed early."
Joan shot a curious look at him, then silently turned and walked into the cottage. There was an awkward moment until Tommy spoke. "Well, good night, then," he said. "See yuh on the beach tomorrow."
They walked the rest of the way home in silence. It was already dark when they climbed up the steps to the porch. He opened the screen door and held it for her.
She started to enter the house, then stopped when she saw he made no move to follow her. "Aren't you coming in?"
He shook his head. "Not right now. I think I’ll stay out for a little while."
"I think I will, too," she said quickly, stepping back onto the porch.
He let the screen door swing shut. Its clatter echoed through the house. "Is that you, children?" Geraldine Marlowe called.
"Yes, Mother," Rina answered. She glanced quickly at Laddie. "Can we stay outside for a little while, Mother? It's so hot tonight."
"All right. But only for half an hour, Rina. I want you in bed by eight thirty."
"O.K., Mother."
Laddie crossed the porch and sat down on the large wicker chaise. Rina followed and sat down beside him. "Why did Joan want you to come back?" she asked suddenly.
He didn't look at her. "I dunno."
"Did she want you to do it for her?"
"Of course not!" he said indignantly.
"I don't like Joan," she said suddenly. "She's a—she's a hyp—a hypo—"
"A hypocrite." He supplied the word for her, surprised by the unexpected depth of her perception. "What makes you say that?"
"Tommy wanted me to touch him in the movies, but when I wouldn't, he took Joan's hand and she did."
"No!" The word escaped him involuntarily. Rina was right. The little bitch was a hypocrite.
"And she never even looked at him once," Rina continued. "She was always looking at the screen and once she even asked you for some candy."
He stared at her wonderingly.
"I wonder if they're doing it now," she said thoughtfully.
A picture of Joan and Tommy flashed through his mind. He began to get excited.
"I’m not a hypocrite, am I?" she asked. A slow smile came to her lips. She moved and he felt her fingers brush across his thigh. She looked into his face. "Would you like to do it now?" she whispered.
"Now?" he said in a stunned voice. He glanced over his shoulder back to the house.
"They won't come out," she said quietly. "Father is reading his newspaper and Mother is knitting. I saw them through the doorway."
"But—" he stammered. "But—how?"
She smiled again, her fingers taking the handkerchief from his breast pocket.
******
Geraldine looked up at the mantel clock. It was just eight thirty. She heard the screen door slam and Rina came into the room. Her daughter's eyes were bright and shining and her face wore a happy smile. The smile was infectious and Geraldine smiled back at her.
"Did you have a good time at the movies, dear?"
Rina nodded. "A wonderful time, Mother," she said excitedly. "It was such fun. You don't know how great it is to be able to see a picture without all those brats squalling and running up and down the aisles like they do in the afternoons."
Geraldine laughed. "It was only yesterday that you were one of those brats."
Rina's face suddenly turned serious. "But I'm not any more, am I, Mother?"
Geraldine nodded her head gently. "No, darling. You're quite grown up now."
Rina spun around happily. "That's right, Mother," she said gaily. "I'm quite grown up now."
Geraldine laughed. "Now up to bed with you, young lady. You still need your rest."
"O.K., Mother." Rina bent over her and quickly kissed her cheek. "Good night."
She crossed the room and kissed her father's cheek. "Good night, Father."
She ran out of the room and they could hear her feet running up the stairs. Harrison Marlowe lowered his paper. "She seems quite happy."
"Why shouldn't she be?" Geraldine said. "Her first date. Every girl is excited after her first date."
He put down the paper. "What do you say we go out on the porch for a bit of air?"
They came out into the night. "Laddie?" she called.
"Over here, Mother."
She turned and saw him rising from the chaise. "Did you have a good time?"
"All right," he said shortly.
"Rina wasn't any bother, was she?"
"No."
"You don't sound happy about having to take her with you."
"It was O.K., Mother," he said tensely.
"Sometimes, son," his father said, "we have to do things even if we don't like it. One of them is looking after your sister. That's a brother's job."
"I said it was all right, Father," he snapped.
"Laddie!" his mother exclaimed in surprise.
Laddie looked down at the floor. "I'm sorry, Father," he said in a low voice.
She moved over and looked into his face. "Are you feeling all right, Laddie?" she asked with concern. "You look flushed and warm to me and your face is all perspired. Here, let me wipe it for you." Her hand sought his breast-pocket handkerchief. "Why, Laddie, what happened to your handkerchief? I saw it in your pocket when you left."
For a moment there was something in his eyes that reminded her of a stricken animal, then it was gone. "I—I guess I lost it," he stammered.
She touched his forehead. "Are you sure you haven't a fever?"
"I think you'd better go up to bed, son," his father said.
"Yes, Father." He turned to his mother and kissed her. "Good night," he said and went quickly into the house.
"I wonder what's the matter with him?"
Harrison Marlowe snorted. "I know what's the matter with him."
"You do?"
He nodded. "He's spoiled, that's what. He's so used to having everything the way he wants it, he sulks when he has to do a little thing like chaperon his sister. He's angry because he couldn't sit over in the Randall's yard and spoon with Tommy's cousin Joan."
"Harry, you're being horrid!"
"No I’m not," he said. "Take it from me. I know boys. What he needs is a little discipline." He began to pack his pipe. "And you're doing the same with Rina. Giving her everything she wants. She'll be spoiled soon, too."
"I know what's bothering you," she said. "You just don't like the idea of them growing up. You'd like to keep them children forever."
"No. But you have to admit they are spoiled."
"Maybe they are a little," she admitted.
He smiled. "Well, anyway, it's a good thing they'll be going back to school next month. Barrington's good for Laddie."
"Yes," she agreed. "And I'm glad Rina's been accepted at Jane Vincent's school. They'll make a little lady out of her."
******
For Laddie, it was a summer of pain and torture, of wild physical sensation and excruciating, conscience-stricken agonies. He couldn't sleep, he couldn't eat, he was afraid to look at her in the mornings and then, when he saw her, he couldn't bear to let her out of his sight. Jealous tortures flamed inside him when he saw her smiling or talking to other boys. Visions born of his knowledge of her would fill his mind and he could see them with her the way he had been. An uneasy, frightened contentment would steal through him when they were together.
And lurking all the while in the deep recesses of his mind was the fear—the fear of discovery, the fear of seeing the hurt and shock and loathing come to the faces of his parents once they knew.
But when she looked at him, smiled at him, touched him, all that was suddenly gone and he would do anything in the world to please her. He abased himself, groveled before her, wept with the agony of his self-flagellation. Then the fear would return. Because there was no escaping the fact. She was his sister. It was wrong.
It was with a feeling of relief that he saw the crazy summer come to an end. It was over, he thought. Away from her, he would be able to find himself again, to control the fevers that she set raging in his blood. When they would come again to the beach next summer, it would be different. He would be different, she would be different.
No more, he would say to her. No more. It's wrong. That was what he believed when he returned to school at the end of that summer.
SEVEN
"I’M PREGNANT," SHE SAID. "I’M GOING TO HAVE a baby."
Laddie felt a dull ache spread over him. Somehow, this was the way he'd always known it would turn out. Ever since that first summer two years ago. He looked up at her, squinting his eyes against the sun. "How do you know?"
She spoke quietly, as if she were just talking about the weather. "I’m late," she said simply. "I've never been late before."
He looked down at his hands. They were sun-darkened against the white sand. "What are you going to do?"
"I don't know," she answered. Her white-blond hair glittered in the sunlight as she turned and looked out at the ocean. "If nothing happens by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to tell Mother."
"Will you—will you tell her about us?"
"No," she said swiftly, in a low voice. She picked the next question from his lips. "I'll tell her it was Tommy, or Bill, or Joe," she answered, still not looking at him.
Despite himself, he felt a twinge of jealousy. "Did you—with all of them?" he asked hesitantly.
Her dark eyes fixed on his own now. "No," she said emphatically. "Of course not. Only with you."
"What if she talks to them? Then she'll know you're lying."
"She won't," Rina said positively. "Especially when I tell her I don't know which one it was."
He stared at her. In so many ways, she was older than he. "What do you think she'll do?"
Rina shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. There's not very much she can do, I guess."
He watched her walk down the beach to meet some friends, then rolled over in the sand and placed his head on his arms. He groaned aloud. It had happened. Somewhere in the back of his mind he had always known it would. He remembered the night just a few short weeks ago.
They had come down to the beach that summer as they did every year. But this time, it was going to be different. He had sworn it to himself. And he had told her, too.
"No more," he said. "It's stupid, it's kid stuff. You stick to your friends and I’ll stick to mine. We'll only get in trouble if we keep it up."
She had agreed. Even promised. And he had to admit she had kept her word. It was he who had broken his vow. And all because of that damned bottle of orange pop.
It had been a rainy afternoon and they were alone in the cottage. It was hot and humid and the air clung heavily to his body, sheathing it in an invisible choking blanket. His shirt and trousers were wringing with perspiration when he went into the kitchen. He opened the icebox but the usual bottle of orange pop he kept there was gone. He closed the icebox door angrily.
He went upstairs and past her open door before his mind absorbed what his eyes had seen. He walked back and stood in the open doorway. She was naked on the bed, half reclining, the bottle of orange pop in her hand. She was staring at it intently.
He felt the pulse begin to hammer in his head, the perspiration break out anew beneath his clothing. "What are you doing with my orange pop?" he asked. He knew he sounded stupid, even as he spoke.
She moved her head slightly on the pillow and looked at him. Her eyes were heavy-lidded and hazy. "Drinking it," she answered huskily, putting it to her mouth. "What do you think?"
The soda overflowed her mouth and ran in orange driblets down her cheeks, across her breasts to the convex of her belly and onto the white sheet. She smiled at him and held out the bottle. "Want some?"
As if he were someone else, he saw himself cross the room and lift the bottle to his lips. It was warm from her touch. He felt the sweetness of the liquid spill into his mouth. He looked down at her.
She was smiling up at him. 'You're excited," she said softly. "And you said you wouldn't be any more. But you are."
Some of the orange soda spilled down across his shirt as he suddenly realized he had betrayed himself. He turned to go but her hand caught him around the thigh. He almost screamed with the sudden inflaming agony of her touch.
"Just this once more," she whispered. "And then never again."
He stood frozen, afraid to move, afraid he would stumble and fall because of the trembling within him. "No," he said hoarsely.
"Please," she whispered, her fingers opening, searching.
He stood there as if paralyzed. An anguished moan came from deep within him. There would be no more of this, no more humiliation, no more groveling before her. This time she would learn to leave him alone.
With one hand, he seized her wrists and bent her back to the bed. Her eyes were still confident, still unafraid as they watched him. Suddenly, he pressed his lips to hers. Her mouth was warm and moist and still tasted of the orange soda. Then he moved his head and his lips were traveling down her body, across her throat, over her breasts.
It was then she began to fight him. "No!" she whispered, writhing away from him. "No! Don't touch me!"
But he didn't even hear her. He could feel the red rage pumping in his temples; there was a congestion in his chest. He felt her hand pull loose and rake his chest, leaving a clean, hot path of pain in its wake. Bewildered, he looked down at himself and saw the bloody traces of her fingernails on his flesh. A terrible anger rose up in him.
"You cock-teaser!" he yelled, swinging his free hand. The blow caught her on the side of her face. knocking her back against the bed. She stared up at him with frightened eyes.
"You bitch!" he said, tearing his belt from his trousers. He raised her arms over her head and lashed her wrists to the iron bedpost. He picked up the half-empty bottle from the bed where it had fallen. "Still thirsty?"
She shook her head.
He tilted the bottle and began to laugh as the orange soda ran down over her. "Drink!" he said. "Drink all you can!"
The bottle flew from his hands as she kicked it away. He caught at her legs and pinned them against the bed with his knees. He laughed wildly. "Now, my darling little sister, there'll be no more games."
"No more games," she gasped, staring up into his eyes. His face came down and his mouth covered hers. She felt herself begin to relax.
Then the fierce, sharp pain penetrated her body. She screamed. His hand came down heavily over her mouth, as again and again the pain ripped through her.
And all that was left was the sound of her voice, screaming silently in the confines of her throat, and the ugliness and horror of his body on her own.
******
Laddie rolled over on the sand. It was all over now. Tomorrow his mother would know. And it would be his fault. They would blame him and they would be right. No matter what, he shouldn't have let it happen. A shadow fell across him and he looked up.
Rina was standing there. She dropped to the sand beside him. "What are we going to do?"
"I don't know," he said dully.
She reached a hand out to his. "I shouldn't have let you do it," she whispered.
"You couldn't have stopped me," he said. "I must have been crazy." He looked at her. "If we were anybody else, we could run away and get married."
"I know."
His voice turned bitter. "It isn't as if we were really brother and sister. If only they hadn't adopted—"
"But they did," Rina said quickly, and with a sure knowledge. "Besides, we can't blame it on them. It wasn't their fault." She felt the tears come into her eyes. She sat there silently as they rolled down her cheeks.
"Don't cry."
"I—I can't help it," she whispered. "I'm scared."
"I am, too," he said. "But crying won't help."
The tears kept rolling silently down her cheeks. After a moment, she heard his voice. She looked at him. His lips moved awkwardly. "Even if you are my sister, you know that I love you?"
She didn't answer.
"I've always loved you, I guess. I couldn't help it. Somehow, the other girls were nothing when I compared them with you."
"I guess the reason I was so bad was because I was jealous of the girls you went with," she confessed. "I didn't want them to have you. That's why I did what I did. I couldn't let any other boy touch me. I couldn't stand them."
His hand tightened on her fingers. "Maybe it'll turn out all right yet," he said, trying for reassurance.
"Maybe," she said, a dull hopelessness in her voice.
Then they ran out of language and they turned and watched the surf run away with their childhood.
******
Laddie sat at the helm of his small sailboat and watched his mother in the bow. He felt a gust of wind take the sail and automatically he compensated for the drift while scanning the sky. There were squall clouds coming up ahead. Time to head for the dock. Slowly he began to come about.
"Turning back?" he heard his mother call.
"Yes, Mother," he replied. It seemed strange to have her aboard. But she had wanted to come. It was almost as if she had sensed there was something troubling him.
"You've been pretty quiet this morning," she said.
He didn't meet her gaze. "I have to concentrate on the boat, Mother."
"I don't know what's the matter with you children," she said. "You're both so moody lately."
He didn't answer. He kept his eyes on the squall clouds up ahead. He thought about Rina. Then himself. Then his parents. A sorrow began to well up inside him. He felt his eyes begin to burn and smart.
His mother's voice was shocked. "Why, Laddie, you're crying!"
Then the dam broke and the sobs racked his chest. He felt his mother's hand draw his head down to her breast as she had done so often when he was a baby. "What's the matter, Laddie? What's wrong?" she asked softly.
"Nothing," he gasped, trying to choke back the tears. "Nothing."
She stroked his head gently. "Something is wrong," she said softly. "I know there is. You can tell me, Laddie. Whatever it is, you can tell me. I’ll understand and try to help."
"There's nothing you can do," he cried. "Nothing anybody can do now!"
"Try me and see." He didn't speak, his eyes searching her face for something, she didn't know what. A curious dread came into her. "Has it—is it something to do with Rina?"
It was as if the muscles that held his face together all dissolved at once. "Yes, yes!" he cried. "She's going to have a baby! My baby, Mother," he added through tight lips. "I raped her, she's going to have my baby!"
"Oh, no!"
"Yes, Mother," he said, his face suddenly stony.
The tears sprang to her eyes and she covered her face with her hands. This couldn't happen to her children. Not her children. She had wanted everything for them, given them everything. After a moment, she regained control of herself. "I think we'd better turn back," she managed to say quietly.
"We are, Mother," he said. He looked down at his hands on the tiller. The words slipped from him now. "I don't know what got into me, Mother." He stared at her with agonized eyes, his voice strained and tense. "But growing up isn't what it's cracked up to be, it's not what it says in books. Growing up's such a crock of shit!"
He stopped in shock at his own language. "I'm sorry, Mother."
"It's all right, son."
They were silent for a moment and the waves slapped wildly against the hull of the boat. "You mustn't blame Rina, Mother," he said, raising his voice. "She's only a kid. Whatever happened was my fault."
She looked up at her son. A glimmer of intuition pierced the gray veil that seemed to have fallen in front of her eyes. "Rina's a very beautiful girl, Laddie," she said. "I think anyone would find it difficult not to love your sister."
Laddie met his mother's eyes. "I love her, Mother," he said quietly. "And she really isn't my sister."
Geraldine didn't speak.
"Is it terribly wrong to say that, Mother?" he asked. "I don't love her like a sister. I love her" —he searched for a word—"different."
Different, Geraldine thought. It was as good a word as any.
"Is it terribly wrong, Mother?" Laddie asked again.
She looked at her son, feeling a sorrow for him that she could not explain. "No, Laddie," she said quietly. "It’s just one of those things that can't be helped."
He took a deep breath, beginning to feel better. At least she understood, she hadn't condemned him. "What are we going to do, Mother?" he asked.
She looked into his eyes. "The first thing we have to do is let Rina know we understand. The poor child must be frightened out of her mind."
He reached forward and took his mother's hand, pressing it to his lips. "You're so good to us, Mother," he whispered, looking gratefully into her eyes.
They were the last words he ever spoke. For just at that moment, the squall came roaring in from the starboard side and capsized the boat.
******
Rina watched stolidly as the lobstermen brought the pitifully small bodies to the shore and laid them on the beach. She looked down at them. Laddie and Mother. A vague spinning began to roar inside her. A cramp suddenly seized her groin and she doubled over, sinking to her knees in the sand beside the still figures. She closed her eyes, weeping as a terrible moisture began to seep from her.
EIGHT
MARGARET BRADLEY LOOKED DOWN WEARILY AT the papers on her desk. They were covered with the hen-tracked hieroglyphics of the girls who trooped through her science classes. Abruptly she pushed them to one side and got to her feet. She walked over to the window and looked out restlessly. She was bored, tired of the never-ending, day-in, day-out routine.
Looking out into the gray dusk of evening, she wondered why Sally's letter hadn't arrived yet. It had been more than two weeks since she'd heard from her and usually letters came regularly twice a week. Could it be that Sally had found someone else? Another friend with whom she could share those intime whispered secrets?
There was a hesitant knock at the door and she turned toward it. "Yes?"
"A special-delivery letter for you, Miss Bradley." It was the quavering voice of Thomas, the porter.
Quickly she opened the door and took the letter. "Thank you very much, Thomas," she said, closing the door.
She leaned against it, looking down at the letter in her hand. She began to feel brighter. It was Sally's handwriting. She crossed to her desk and rapidly tore open the envelope.
Dear Peggy,
Yesterday I was married ...
The knock at the door was so low that at first she did not hear it. It came again, a little louder this time. She raised her head from the desk. "Who is it?" she called in her husky voice.
"Rina Marlowe, Miss Bradley. May I see you for a moment?"
Wearily the teacher got to her feet. "Just a moment," she called.
She walked into the bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes were red-rimmed and swollen, her lipstick slightly smeared. She looked older than her twenty-six years. She turned on the tap and cleaned the make-up from her face with a washcloth. She stared at herself. For ten years, she and Sally had been inseparable. Now it was over.
She replaced the washcloth on the rack and walked out to the door. "Come in," she said, opening it.
Rina looked into the teacher's face. Miss Bradley looked as if she had been crying. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you," she said. "I can come back later if you like."
The teacher shook her head. "No, that's all right," she answered. She crossed to the small desk and sat down behind it. "What is it?"
Rina shut the door behind her slowly. "I was wondering if I could be excused from the dance Saturday night?"
Margaret Bradley stared at her. For a moment, she couldn't believe her ears. Missing the monthly dance was considered the ultimate punishment. The girls would do anything rather than lose that privilege. It was the only time boys were allowed within the confines of the school. "I don't understand," she said.
Rina looked down at the floor. "I just don't want to go, that's all."
It wasn't because the boys didn't like her. The teacher knew it was quite the opposite. The slim, blond sixteen-year-old standing before her was surrounded by boys at every dance. She came from a good family. The Marlowes were well known in Boston. Her father was a banker, a widower.
"That's a rather strange request," she said. "You must have a reason."
Rina still looked down at the floor. She didn't answer.
Margaret Bradley forced a smile to her lips. "Come now," she said in a friendly voice. "You can talk to me. I'm not that much older than you that I wouldn't understand."
Rina looked up at her and she was surprised by the deep revelation of fear in the girl's eyes. Then it was gone and she looked down at the floor again.
The teacher got up and walked around the desk. She took Rina's hand and led her to a seat. "You're afraid of something," she said gently.
"I can't stand them touching me," she whispered.
"Them?" Margaret Bradley asked, her voice puzzled. "Who?"
"Boys. They all want to touch me and my skin creeps." Rina looked up suddenly. "It would be all right if they just wanted to dance or to talk but they're always trying to get you alone someplace."
"What boys?" The teacher's voice was suddenly harsh. "We'll soon put a stop to their coming here."
Rina got up suddenly. "I’d better go," she said nervously. "I didn't think it would work, anyway."
She started for the door. "Wait a minute!" Margaret Bradley's voice was commanding.
Rina turned and looked back at her. "Did any of them do more than—than just touch you?"
Rina shook her head.
"How old are you?"
"Sixteen," Rina answered.
"I guess by now you know that boys are always like that."
Rina nodded.
"I felt the same way when I was your age."
"You did?" Rina asked. A note of relief came into her voice. "I thought I was the only one. None of the other girls feel the way I do."
'They’re fools!" The teacher's voice was full of a harsh anger, but she checked herself sharply. There was no sense in allowing her bitterness to expose her. "I was just going to make myself a cup of tea," she said. "Would you care to join me?"
Rina hesitated. "If it wouldn't be too much trouble."
"It won't be any trouble at all," Margaret Bradley said. "Now, you just sit down and make yourself comfortable. I'll have the tea ready in a minute."
She went into the small kitchenette. To her surprise, she found herself humming as she turned on the burner beneath the teakettle.
******
"I think a summer in Europe between now and the time she goes to Smith in the fall would be of great benefit to her," Margaret Bradley said.
Harrison Marlowe leaned back in his chair and looked at the teacher across the white expanse of the dinner table, then at Rina, seated opposite her. What he saw inspired a kind of confidence in him. A plain, not unattractive young woman in her late twenties, he imagined. She wore simple, tailored clothes, almost mannish in their effect, that seemed to proclaim her profession. She had none of the foolish mannerisms that so many of the young women had today. There was nothing of the flapper about her. She was very serious and businesslike.
"Her mother and I often spoke about Rina going to Europe," he began tentatively.
"No girl is considered quite finished if she hasn't spent some time there," the teacher said ssuredly.
Marlowe nodded slowly. It was a great responsibility bringing up a daughter. Somehow he had never realized it until several months ago, when he had come into the parlor and found Rina there.
She was wearing a dark-blue dress that somehow made her seem older than her years. Her white-blond hair shone in the semidimness.
"Hello, Father."
"Rina!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing home?"
"I got to thinking how awful it must be for you to come into this great big empty house and find yourself all alone," she said, "so I thought I'd take a few days off from school."
"But—but what about your studies?" he asked.
"I can make them up easily enough."
"But—"
"Aren't you glad to see me, Father?" she asked, interrupting.
"Of course I am," he said quickly.
"Then why don't you kiss me?" She turned her cheek toward him. He kissed her cheek. As he straightened up, she held him with her arm. "Now I'll kiss you."
She kissed him on the mouth and her lips were warm. Then she laughed suddenly. "Your mustache tickles!"
He smiled down at her. "You always said that," he said fondly. "Ever since you were a little girl."
"But I'm not a little girl any longer, am I, Father?"
He looked at her, beautiful, almost a woman in her dark-blue dress. "I guess not," he said.
She turned to the sideboard. "I thought you might like a drink before dinner."
The bottles of liquor were all ready for him. He walked over to the sideboard. She even had cracked ice in the bucket. "What's for dinner?" he asked.
"I had Molly make your favorite. Roast chicken, rissolé potatoes."
"Good," he said, reaching for a bottle of whisky. Her voice stopped his hand.
"Wouldn't you like a Martini? You haven't had one for a long time."
He hesitated a moment, then reached for the bottle of gin. It wasn't until he turned around that he realized there were two cocktails in his hand. Habit was a strange commander. He turned to put one of them back on the sideboard.
"May I, Father? I'm past sixteen. There are many girls at school whose parents allow them a cocktail at dinner."
He stared at her, then poured half of one drink back into the shaker. He gave her the half-filled glass. He raised his glass in a toast.
She smiled, sipping delicately at her glass. "This is delicious," she said, in exactly the same words and tone of voice he had so often heard his wife use.
He felt the hot, uncontrollable tears leap into his eyes and turned away swiftly so that she would not see. Her hand caught at his sleeve and he turned back to her. Her eyes were deep with sympathy. He let her draw him down slowly to the couch beside her.
And then, for a moment, he wasn't her father. He was just a lonely man weeping against the breast of his mother, his wife, his daughter. He felt her young, strong arms around his shoulders, her fingers lightly brushing his hair. He heard the rumble of her whispered voice within her chest. "Poor Daddy, poor Daddy."
As suddenly as it had come, the moment was gone and he was aware only of the firm, taut breasts against his cheek. Self-consciously he raised his head. "I guess I made a fool of myself," he said awkwardly.
"No, Father," she said quietly. "For the first time in my life, I didn't feel like a child any more. I felt grown up and needed."
He forced a tired smile to his lips. "There's time enough for you to grow up."
Later that night, after dinner, she came over and sat on the arm of his chair. "I'm not going back to school any more," she said. "I'm going to stay home and keep house for you."
He smiled. "You'd get bored with that quickly enough," he said. "You'd miss the excitement of school, of boy friends— "
"Boys!" she said scornfully. "I can do without them. They're a bunch of grubby little animals always mooning after you. I can't stand them."
"You can't, eh?" he said quizzically. "Just what kind of man would please your majesty?"
She looked down at him seriously. "I think an older man," she said. "Someone like you, maybe. Someone who makes me feel safe and secure and needed. Boys are always trying to get something from you, show that they're stronger, more important."
He laughed. "That's only because they're young."
"I know," she answered, still serious. "That's why they frighten me. They're only interested in what they want; they don't care about me." She leaned over and kissed the top of his head. "Your hair is so nice with that touch of gray in it." A note of regret came into her voice. "Too bad I can't marry you. I love you, Father."
"No!" he said sharply, so sharply that he surprised even himself with the inexplicable violence of his reaction.
"No what, Father?" she asked, startled.
He got to his feet and stared down at her. "No, you're not staying home. You're going back to school tomorrow. I’ll have Peters drive you up."
She stared up at him and her eyes began to well with tears. Suddenly, she was a little girl again. "Don't you love me, Father?" she cried. "Don't you want me to stay with you?"
He stared at her for a moment, then compassion filled him. "Of course I love you, darling," he said quietly. "But don't you see, we can't put ourselves in a shell to protect ourselves from the world around us."
"But all I want is to be with you, Daddy!"
"No, child, no," he said patiently. "I know that's the way you feel now but someday, when you're older, and maybe married with children of your own, you'll understand."
She tore herself from his arms and faced him angrily. "No!" she stormed. "I’ll never get married! I’ll never have children! I’ll never let some boy get his dirty hands on me!"
"Rina!" he exclaimed in a shocked voice.
She stared at him dumbly, then her face dissolved into tears again. "Oh, Father!" she cried in a hurt, broken voice. "Can't you see? It's not I, it's you who don't understand!"
"Rina, darling," he said, reaching for her. But she had already fled the room. He heard her running footsteps on the staircase, then her door slammed.
******
He came back to the present slowly, looking down the long dining table at the teacher, then at Rina. Her eyes were shining, brightly expectant.
"I am sure that if Rina's mother were alive, Miss Bradley," Marlowe said in his oddly formal manner, "she would be as happy as I am to entrust our daughter to your very capable hands."
Margaret Bradley looked quickly down at her soup, so that he could not see the sudden triumph in her eyes. "Thank you, Mr. Marlowe," she said demurely.
NINE
THEY STAYED ON DECK UNTIL THEY HAD PASSED the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, until the water was a bottle green beneath the ship and they could no longer see the shore.
"Excited?" Margaret Bradley asked.
Rina's eyes were sparkling. "It's like a dream."
Margaret smiled. "It will get better and better. Right now we'd best go down to our cabin and rest up a bit before dinner."
"But I’m not the least bit tired," Rina protested.
"You will be," Margaret said firmly but pleasantly. "We'll be aboard the Leviathan for six days. You'll have plenty of time to see everything."
She nodded in silent approval as they entered their cabin. Harrison Marlowe wasn't cheap when he did something for his daughter. It was a first-class cabin, with twin beds and private bath. He hadn't hesitated, either, when she'd suggested that Rina would need a new wardrobe. Instead, he'd simply written a check for a thousand dollars and told her that if it wasn't sufficient, she should let him know.
They had got only a few things in New York; the rest they would get in Paris. But without saying anything to Rina, she had ordered several things and had them sent directly to the ship. She couldn't wait to see the expression on Rina's face when she saw them.
The boxes were on the bed but she did not call attention to them. She wanted the moment to be just right. She took off her light spring coat and sank into a deep, comfortable chair. Opening her purse, she took out a package of cigarettes. It wasn't until after she had lit one that she became aware that Rina was staring at her. Then she realized that Rina had never seen her smoke.
She held out the package. "Have one?"
Rina hesitated.
"Go ahead," she urged. "It's all right. You'll find most European women smoke; they're not so provincial as we are."
She watched Rina light a cigarette and laughed as she coughed. "Don't swallow the smoke."
Rina held the smoke in her mouth and let it out slowly. "How's that?"
Margaret smiled. "Fine."
"This is fun, Miss Bradley."
Margaret looked at her. "Now that we're really on our way, I think we can dispense with formalities. From now on, you may call me Peggy." She got to her feet. "Would you like to bathe first, Rina?"
Rina shook her head. "No, Miss Bradley, you can go first if you like."
Margaret shook her head, smiling. "Peggy."
"I mean Peggy."
'That's better," Margaret said.
She looked up as Rina came out of the bathroom, tying the belt of her robe. Her long blond hair fell to her shoulders, looking even more silvery against her dark tan. There was a low knock at the door. Rina looked at her questioningly.
"I ordered sherry," she explained. "It's good for your appetite the first day at sea. I find it helps prevent mal de mer."
She took the tray from the steward and gave one glass to Rina. "Cheers," she said, smiling and sipping the wine slowly.
"It's nice," Rina said.
"I’m glad you like it."
Rina put the glass down. "Shall I wear my new blue suit tonight?"
Margaret assumed a shocked expression. "First-class dining is formal, Rina."
"I have a few of my party dresses," Rina said. "I can wear one of them."
"Not those horrible dresses they wear at the school dances?"
A hurt expression appeared on Rina's face. "I thought they were very pretty."
Margaret laughed. "For children, perhaps. But not for a young lady going to Europe."
"I don't know what to wear, then," Rina said helplessly.
She had teased Rina enough. "Those boxes on the bed are yours," she said casually. "I think you might find something to wear in one of them."
The expression on Rina's face as she opened the boxes was all that Margaret had hoped for. Rina put on a stark black cocktail gown that clung to her figure, revealing her naked shoulders. As they walked into the dining salon, an hour later, every male eye followed them.
Possessively Margaret reached across the table and patted Rina's hand. "You look lovely, my dear."
******
Margaret put down the towel and turned to look at herself in the full-length mirror. Pleased with her reflection, she ran her hands down along her sides, then stretched luxuriously. Her small breasts with their tiny nipples were no larger than many men's, and her hips were flat and her legs straight.
She slipped into the silk pajamas, quickly buttoning the fly front of the long, man-tailored trousers, then fastening the tightly fitting bolero jacket. She brushed her dark hair straight back and pinned it. Once more, she glanced at the mirror. At a quick glance, few could tell her from a male.
Pleased, she left the bathroom and entered the stateroom. "You can go in now, Rina."
Rina stared at her in amazement. "Miss Bradley—Peggy, I mean—those pajamas!"
Margaret smiled at her. "Like them?"
Rina nodded.
Margaret was pleased. "They're made of genuine Chinese brocade. A friend sent me the material from San Francisco. I designed them myself." One thing she could always say for Sally—she had good taste. Of all the things she had ever given her, these pajamas were her favorite.
Rina got out of her chair and took a cotton nightgown from the bureau. She started for the bathroom.
"Wait a minute," Margaret said. She went to her bureau and took out a small box. "While I was at it," she said, "I also bought you a few nightgowns."
She watched Rina's face as she opened the box. "They're real silk!"
"I was afraid that all you had were those horrible school shifts."
Rina looked down at the box. "There's a different color for every night in the week," she said. "They're all so beautiful, I don't know which to wear first."
Margaret smiled again. "Why don't you wear the white one tonight?"
"O.K.," Rina said. She picked it up and started again for the bathroom. She stopped at the door. "I don't know how to thank you, Peggy," she said gratefully. "You make everything seem so wonderful."
Margaret laughed happily. "That's just the way I want it to be for you," she said. She looked at Rina as if the idea had just come to her. "What do you say we celebrate tonight? While you're changing, I’ll order a bottle of champagne. We'll have a little party all by ourselves."
"That would be fun." Rina smiled. "I always wanted to drink champagne but Father would never let me."
"Well, this will be a secret between us." Margaret laughed, reaching for the telephone. "I promise I won't tell him."
******
Rina put down her glass and began to giggle.
Margaret leaned back in her chair, still holding hers by its fragile stem. "What's funny?"
"My nightgown crinkles and gives off tiny sparks when I move."
"That's static electricity," Margaret said. "Silk is a very good conductor."
"I know," Rina answered quickly. "I remember that from your class." She ran her hand down along the gown. "It gives off tiny blue sparks. Can you see them?"
"No."
Rina leaped to her feet. "I'll turn off the lights," she said. "You'll be able to see them then."
She turned off the lights and stood in front of Margaret. "Watch," she said. She ran her hands down the sides of her gown. There was a faint crackling and tiny sparks appeared at her fingertips. Rina picked up her glass and emptied it. She held the glass toward Margaret. "May I have some more, Peggy?"
"Of course," Margaret answered, refilling her glass.
Rina held it to her lips and sipped. "Champagne is nothing but pop made from wine," she said seriously. "But it tastes better. It's not as sweet."
"It's getting warmer in here, don't you think?"
"It is getting warmer," Rina answered. "Do you want me to turn on the fan?"
"Oh, no," Margaret said quickly. "We'd only catch cold in the draft. I’ll just slip off my jacket."
She felt Rina's eyes on her small bosom and she picked up her glass quickly. "Do you mind?"
Rina shook her head. She lifted her glass and took another sip. "Do you hear music?"
Margaret nodded. "It's the orchestra from the ballroom. They're playing a waltz."
Rina got to her feet. She swayed in time to the music. "I love to dance," she said. She glided lightly around the room, the white gown flaring out as she turned, showing her long, tanned legs.
Margaret felt a weakness in the pit of her stomach as she got to her feet. "I love to dance, too," she said, making a mock bow. "May I have this dance, Miss Marlowe?"
Rina looked at her, smiling. "Just this one. All the others are taken, Miss Bradley."
Margaret shook a reproachful finger at Rina. "Mr. Bradley, if you please."
Rina laughed. "Of course. Just this one, Mr. Bradley."
Margaret put her arm around Rina's waist. They both laughed as the tiny blue sparks crackled from Rina's gown. Margaret felt her legs tremble as the warmth from Rina's breasts came through the gown. Holding the young girl firmly, she led her into the dance. They spun furiously in a circle as the music reached a crescendo, then abruptly halted.
Rina looked up into her face. Margaret smiled at her. "We'd better have some more champagne." She poured Rina a glass and picked up her own. "You're a very good dancer, Rina."
"Thank you. You lead better than any of the boys that ever came to the school dances. You do everything so well." Rina swayed slightly. "The dancing made me dizzy."
"Perhaps you'd better lie down on your bed for a moment."
Rina shook her head. "And break up our party?"
"Lie down for a minute. You won't break up the party. I'll come and sit on the bed."
"O.K.," Rina said. She walked over to the bed and put her glass on the night table, then stretched out on the white sheet.
Margaret sat down beside her. "Feel better?"
"The room is still spinning," Rina said.
Margaret bent over her and stroked her forehead lightly. "Close your eyes for a moment."
Obediently Rina closed her eyes. They were silent for a moment while Margaret continued to stroke her forehead. "That's better," Rina said softly. "The spinning has gone."
Margaret didn't answer, but kept stroking her head lightly. Rina opened her eyes and looked at her. Margaret reached for her glass. "A little more champagne?"
Rina nodded. She sipped and handed it back to Margaret, who smiled at her, then put the glass down.
"I'm glad we're going to Europe together," Rina said suddenly. "I've never really had a close girl friend before. The girls at school always seemed such ninnies to me. Always
talking about boys."
"They're nothing but silly children, most of them," Margaret said. "That's why I liked you the moment you came into my room that night. I knew you were different, more mature."
"Ever since Laddie died, I couldn't stand boys," Rina said.
"Laddie?"
"My brother," Rina explained. "He and my father are the only two men that I ever really liked."
"He must have been very nice," Margaret said.
"He was." Rina turned her head away. "I think I was in love with him."
"That's nothing," Margaret said quickly. "All girls love their brothers."
"He really wasn't my brother, you know. I was adopted."
"How do you know you loved him?" Margaret asked, faint jealousy stirring within her.
"I know," Rina answered. "And I think he loved me, too."
"You do?" Margaret asked, the jealousy stronger. "Did he— did you?"
Rina looked away. "I never spoke to anyone about it before."
"You can talk to me," Margaret said. "I’m your friend. We have no secrets between us."
"You won't be angry with me?"
"I won't be angry with you," Margaret said almost sharply. "Tell me!"
Rina's voice was muffled by the pillow. "I wouldn't let him touch me because I was afraid of what would happen. Then one day, he came into my room and tied my hands to the bed with his belt and he did it to me. He hurt me so bad!"
"He couldn't have loved you so much if he hurt you."
"But he did!" Rina said wildly. "Don't you see, Peggy? I wanted him to. All the time I kept daring him and when he did, I knew I loved him. But he went out in the boat with Mother and they died." She began to sob. "It was my fault because I wanted him to. Can't you see that I was the one who was supposed to die, not Mother? She took my place in the dream. Now I don't even dream the dream any more."
"You'll dream your dreams again," Margaret said slowly, holding Rina's head against her bosom.
"No, I won't!"
"Yes, you will," Margaret said firmly. "Tell me about it and I’ll help you."
Rina stopped sobbing. "Do you think you could?" she asked, her eyes searching Margaret's face.
"Tell me and we'll see."
Rina took a deep breath. "I dreamed that I was dead and everybody was around my bed, crying. I could feel how much they loved me and wanted me because they kept begging me not to die. But I couldn't do anything about it. I was dead."
Margaret felt a cold shiver of excitement tremble through her. Slowly she got to her feet. "Close your eyes, Rina," she said quietly, "and we'll act out your dream. Whom do you want me to be?"
Rina looked up at her shyly. "Will you be Laddie?"
"I'll be Laddie," Margaret answered. "Now you close your eyes."
Margaret looked down at the girl. Suddenly her eyes began to fill with tears. A sudden fear began to tear through her. Rina was dead. Rina was really dead. "Rina!" she cried hoarsely. "Please don't die! Please!"
Rina did not move and Margaret fell to her knees beside the bed. "Please, Rina. I can't live without you." She leaned over the bed and covered Rina's face with kisses.
Rina opened her eyes suddenly, a small, proud smile on her face. "You're really crying," she said, her fingers touching Margaret's cheek. She closed her eyes again contentedly.
Slowly Margaret slipped the nightgown off. "You're beautiful," she whispered. "You're the most beautiful woman in the world. You're much too beautiful to die."
Rina looked up at her. "Do you really think I'm beautiful?"
Margaret nodded. She ripped off her pajama bottoms and let them fall to the floor. "All you have to do is look at me to see how beautiful you really are." She caught Rina's hand and pressed it to her breasts, then down across her stomach to her thighs. "Feel how flat I am, just like a man?"
Slowly she sank down onto the bed beside Rina, gently caressing her breasts, pressing her lips to the soft, cool cheeks.
"I feel so safe with you, so good," Rina whispered. "You're not like the other boys, I don't like them to touch me. I'm afraid of them. But I'm not afraid of you."
With a cry of agony, Margaret rolled, her knees forcing Rina's legs apart. "I love you, Rina! Please don't die!"
She pressed her mouth against Rina's. For a moment, she felt the fire of her tongue and then she heard Rina's voice whispering huskily. "Laddie, fuck me, fuck me! I love you, Laddie!" CONTINUED IN
NEXT INSTALMENT
No comments:
Post a Comment